Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I'm a sceptic that the 4th Turning started in 2008
(06-21-2020, 01:57 AM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(06-20-2020, 12:57 PM)User3451 Wrote: I also see this as a culmination of the totality of the last saeculum.

Civil Rights. Awakening things like astrology and witches. Culture wars. Etc

The "left" is currently proving to be just as insane as the tea party.

I think that the great awokening  will (hopefully) burn out just like the tea party did, and in a few years well have some significant, systemic change and a more just society.

The crisis is culminating the saeculum. The issues on the national agenda remain those from the Awakening, which arose from conditions during the first turning. They have not been dealt with during the third turning, as is usual. As usual for an internal-directed saeculum, in the 4th turning the resistance from reactionaries in the cold civil war has continued to block the agenda to a great degree, despite some progress. During the second half of the 4T, this seaculum's agenda (at least in its institutional and political aspects) needs to be addressed in full, even if not fully resolved. This agenda includes but is not limited to: displacing systemic racism and other discrimination, reversing climate change and pollution, dismantling Reaganomics and other left-over laissez-faire approaches which cause inequality and lack of mobility and inhibit action on all issues, restore full democracy and voting rights in all respects, control guns and gun violence, advance health care for all, and supporting peace rather than imperial wars and militarism.

The cultural awakening of the 2T remains on the agenda too, including "astrology and witches" and the counter-culture, and in general an awakening of spirituality in which spirit is immanent as well as transcendent, as well as a re-awakening of more-traditional transcendent religion. The culture wars largely result from the conflict between the emergent counterculture allied with the liberal agenda, vs. the traditional religious ones allied with resistance to the political agenda, as well as a conflict between those two and the normal exaggerated materialism, scientism and physicalism prevalent in the USA in non-awakening turnings. Given the decline of the counter-culture and its new "consciousness revolution" awakening in the current 4th turning (including "astrology and witches" but not limited to those), it will revive again in the next 2T.

Meanwhile, it remains for the USA to discover that to be truly healthy and creative, the new spiritual culture of the recurring "immanent as well as transcendent" Awakenings must continue and grow, rather than decline, during ALL turnings (including "astrology and witches," but a whole lot more than that). Materialism alone can never be a basis for civilization in the long run. We need to revive our awareness of spirit, rather than see ourselves as merely the effect of mechanical causes, or interested merely in material advancement and economic prosperity alone. Otherwise our inspiration, our connection with divine knowledge and power, and our creative energy fades away. At the same time, I see the need for continued respect for science and its methods for inquiry into questions for which it is best suited, and too much fantasy and irrationalism may lead (and have led us) into too much conspiracy theory and other fantasy thinking. The proper balance is needed.

The Left today is nowhere near as insane as the tea party of the 2010s, and in fact it could never be just by definition. I see little source of needed changes from right-wing movements today, even if it feeds on some genuine concerns. The Left today is strong, but no doubt there are elements in it that are too fanatic and who arouse divisions on the left side of the aisle, whether they are from either the moderate or liberal/left wings. The Left today is putting forth the right issues and solutions. But it needs to pull together more, and to reinforce the alliance among its wings and its issues in order to gain the victory, which is essential for our continued progress through the turnings and our continued existence as a republic. In 4Ts, the existence of the nation is at stake. It's time to rescue and transform it this decade. The United States must have a new birth of freedom so that government of the people, by the people and for the people does not perish.

The great awokening (awakening) must not only NOT burn out, but continue to burn more and more brightly, both culturally and politically, if we have any hope of "some significant, systemic change and a more just society." This awakening consists totally of the Left, and this change depends totally on a victory by The Left.
I see what you're saying and agree with some and disagree with some. 

For the record I would consider myself pretty far left. 

Yes, we need to make significant strides on economic and racial equality. No question, it is crucial for the survival of our nation. 

I don't see how fighting racism with racism worksY though. They just say let's keep the current unjust system but replace white male republicans with black people. 

Now the grift to commodify "the revolution" does not mean the we shouldn't seek racial and economic justice. Just the opposite. We have an opportunity for authentic change. 

But violent mobs of people that don't can't tolerate any difference of opinion sounds more like the same old the a brand new world. 

The woke crowd isn't really far left, they are mostly authoritarian liberals anyway. Many don't believe in free speech.

Messages In This Thread
RE: I'm a sceptic that the 4th Turning started in 2008 - by User3451 - 06-22-2020, 07:57 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  There Will Not Be A Triumphant End To This Turning galaxy 33 14,908 11-22-2023, 08:47 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  War & Military Turning & Generational Issues JDG 66 5 5,374 03-24-2022, 03:01 PM
Last Post: JDG 66
  First Turning "purge" Teejay 82 47,821 03-14-2022, 09:28 AM
  The Civil War 4th turning Eric the Green 6 4,113 11-11-2021, 06:12 PM
  Generational Constellation Math For The Current And Next Turning galaxy 8 3,662 11-09-2021, 01:51 AM
  What the next First Turning won't be like Mickey123 145 62,197 10-07-2021, 01:15 AM
Last Post: Eric the Green
  In What Turning do Neighborhood Communities come back? AspieMillennial 7 4,301 05-05-2020, 10:15 PM
Last Post: beechnut79
  Why does the Fourth Turning seem to take Forever? AspieMillennial 22 9,905 01-19-2020, 03:30 PM
Last Post: Anthony '58
  Does the UK disprove the Fourth Turning? AspieMillennial 14 6,727 01-02-2020, 12:14 AM
  What will happen when this turning ends? AspieMillennial 25 10,436 12-30-2019, 02:24 PM
Last Post: David Horn