Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I'm a sceptic that the 4th Turning started in 2008
A very simple way to put the saeculum is during a 4T a new order is formed.  This order works well for a time and then runs into difficulty when it encounters issues in the 2T that were not salient when it was established. The order is modified but not reforged. So these reforms do not work lie the original and during the next 3T more problems arise. Some are the result of design flaws in the original order and others are due to the inadequacy of the reforms made in the 2T.  This period continues until suddenly it becomes clear that the old order is broken and then you have a 4T crisis.

The issue with S&H is they assuming that these sequences have a roughly constant length, which is why we expected this crisis era to have started by now.  But the example of 2008 shows that an event essentially identical to 1929 did NOT collapse the economy (although it did give a deep bear market). Collapse was prevented by elite action. As a result what would have been a 4T was prevented from happening. The fact that we had a crisis generation constellation did not matter a damn.

In 2020 we are in a depression-sized economic slump, but this time--so serious bear market. The elites shut any potential 4T down so fast it would make your head spin. People are marching in the streets calling for another adjustment to keep the current cycle going a bit longer. It is possible we will STILL avoid a 4T and the 3T will march on.

If you look at the period before the American Revolution you can see that the cycle doesn't really fit the history.

The BIG English crisis in the 17th century was the English Revolution, not the much smaller-scale Glorious Revolution. On the other hand the latter gave rise to the significant structural change. But I wouldn't start a crisis in English in 1675, but rather in 1685 when Charles II came to the throne. In the secular cycle* this isn't a problem because the "4T" phase runs from about 1640 to 1690.

In America, the big crisis events WERE around 1675. You can probably extend it to around 1690 but that's about it.

The Armada doesn't even look like a 4T.  Have you ever seen anyone use examples from THAT crisis to illustrate 4T issues. A few of theorists did talk about the Glorious and WotR 4Ts, but I cannot recall anyone comparing anything to the Armada.  It's so forgettable of a 4T because it isn't a 4T at all. There were no structural changes made. It was just a war, one of the dozens that happened all the time back then.

Chas and I derived pre-1435 turnings for England going back the mid-9th century. I used generations as one of the structural elements, as well as empirical data and Bob's concept of "spirals of violence" a "spiral" that fizzled out means it was not a social moment turning. One that did not indicates one. I also used Chas's idea of archetypical generations playing roles in history analogous to archetypical characters playing roles in a drama, sort of a riff on "all the world's a stage".  Using all these tools I managed to cobble together turnings and running them by Chas for input.

Anyways not all 4T's are equal. Some are obvious, like the Viking crisis. the Norman invasion and the WotR. Others like the 12th century crisis (its not the Anarchy, it simply happened too early) seem stretched, and the 10th and 13th century 4Ts are pretty small beer, like the Armada. 

Secular cycles are longer saeculum-like cycles proposed by Peter Turchin and others. There is a thread here in it I set up like four years ago.

Messages In This Thread
RE: I'm a sceptic that the 4th Turning started in 2008 - by Mikebert - 08-03-2020, 04:16 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  There Will Not Be A Triumphant End To This Turning galaxy 33 14,864 11-22-2023, 08:47 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  War & Military Turning & Generational Issues JDG 66 5 5,353 03-24-2022, 03:01 PM
Last Post: JDG 66
  First Turning "purge" Teejay 82 47,624 03-14-2022, 09:28 AM
  The Civil War 4th turning Eric the Green 6 4,110 11-11-2021, 06:12 PM
  Generational Constellation Math For The Current And Next Turning galaxy 8 3,624 11-09-2021, 01:51 AM
  What the next First Turning won't be like Mickey123 145 61,759 10-07-2021, 01:15 AM
Last Post: Eric the Green
  In What Turning do Neighborhood Communities come back? AspieMillennial 7 4,267 05-05-2020, 10:15 PM
Last Post: beechnut79
  Why does the Fourth Turning seem to take Forever? AspieMillennial 22 9,794 01-19-2020, 03:30 PM
Last Post: Anthony '58
  Does the UK disprove the Fourth Turning? AspieMillennial 14 6,718 01-02-2020, 12:14 AM
  What will happen when this turning ends? AspieMillennial 25 10,329 12-30-2019, 02:24 PM
Last Post: David Horn