Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ACA Repeal/Replace: Progressives Face Moral Dilemma
(08-25-2017, 03:49 PM)Warren Dew Wrote:
(08-25-2017, 12:51 PM)David Horn Wrote:
(08-24-2017, 10:19 PM)Warren Dew Wrote: I agree with your assessment of the VA.  However, I have some in laws in the UK, and the NHS is not any better.  It's just that most Brits have never known anything else, so they don't realize how bad it is.

It's simply not possible for mandatory monopolies to render good service.  Their internal incentive are wrong.

H-m-m-m.  Apparently you have rich in-laws in the UK, because 90+% of Brits love the service.  And your comment on mandatory monopolies also applies to the police, fire services and, not coincidently, the military.

I've bolded the part that already addresses your first point.

Let's see, what about the other monopolies you mention?  Police - disavow any duty to protect the citizenry; only go after criminals after the fact and leave many cases unsolved.  Fire services - some areas have private fire services and it seems to work.  The military - mistakenly invade entire countries based on false reports about stockpiles of weapons of mass destruction.  Yes, looks like my comment applies.

You have no way of personally knowing how good or bad the NHS is unless you've tried it yourself.  The WHO lists it as far preferable to our disastrous system, and among the world's best.  And you also failed to address the issue of public service by public agencies.  The police are not armed guards, so they act as they should -- responding when called.  Likewise, the military acts as the strong arm of government, but makes no policy on its own.  What you ignored is the comparison of private companies doing the same on a for-profit basis ... like Blackwater in Iraq.  Not a good model for "foreign policy by other means".

I would enjoy a link to private fire services, though.  Other than volunteer fire departments, which serve as de facto arms of mostly rural governments, I can't think of any such cases.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.

Messages In This Thread
RE: ACA Repeal/Replace: Progressives Face Moral Dilemma - by David Horn - 08-31-2017, 11:01 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Progressives worry about lobbying, corporate ties in Biden administration chairb 0 608 10-19-2021, 05:22 PM
Last Post: chairb
  The stench of moral decay, especially in politics, is creeping across America msel 35 9,634 03-02-2021, 07:18 PM
Last Post: newvoter
  World wonders if Trump is eroding US 'moral authority' nebraska 0 1,314 01-13-2018, 07:43 PM
Last Post: nebraska
  Handicapped parking cheats will face stiffer penalties in Mass. nebraska 0 1,062 12-30-2017, 08:15 PM
Last Post: nebraska