Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ACA Repeal/Replace: Progressives Face Moral Dilemma
(09-04-2017, 07:51 AM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: Regarding medical, what came from the Republican party was more expensive programs that covered less people.  It's hardly surprising that it failed.  Your proposals make more sense.  I don't know if he will go for it, though.  Neither faction of the Republicans would be thrilled by it.  I am reminded of Obama spending all his political capitol to get something very shaky through, then setting a record for having the longest lame duck period ever.  Another attempt at health care from a make sense point of view would be interesting, though.

Both of the so-called GOP plans were essentially Obamacare Lite. They were going nowhere fast and if you were paying attention the President didn't spend any political capital on them. When it comes to health care Congress has to do its job before the President has something he can get behind. The legislative branch is still vested with all the legislative power, or at least it is in theory--there seems to be an awful lot o legislating from the bench going on lately.

Quote:I care less about the wall.  A cheap labor prohibition may have the same problem as the alcohol, drug and gun prohibitions.  Prohibitions are hard.  We'll see.

Not really. Most other countries seem to be able to control their borders. The EU not withstanding, but the EU has been a clusterfuck since day one.

Quote:North Korea is a problem.  They keep doubling down, and have no reason not to.  I am reminded of two babies sharing a too small crib.  Each can only try to make a bigger fuss than the other.  It would be nice if one country or the other featured a grown up.

Strange, I don't hear the ROK regularly threatening its neighbors with nuclear anhiliation. And while reunification is part of their state's ideological end goals at current it wouldn't be economically wise for them to push the issue.

That being said yes the DPRK is a threat, and honestly if they do have an H-bomb like Kim says they do they need to be taken out PDQ we just need to get the PRC on board. Good thing we have a Chief Diplomat who wrote a whole book about deal making.

Quote:You neglected tax reform.  That has been promised from time to time.  That's another where I'd like to see what is proposed.

Well for me I would like to repeal the 16th amendment, but I don't think that's going to happen. For a compromise I would accept a flat tax, no exemptions, no loopholes, no credits, no other bullshit. It isn't perfect but it would put the IRS out of a job essentially.

As with Health Care Congress has to do its job so the President can do his. Over all I would say that the corporate income rate needs to be lowered drastically say closer to 10-15% and loopholes need to be closed.
It really is all mathematics.

Turn on to Daddy, Tune in to Nationalism, Drop out of UN/NATO/WTO/TPP/NAFTA/CAFTA Globalism.

Messages In This Thread
RE: ACA Repeal/Replace: Progressives Face Moral Dilemma - by Kinser79 - 09-04-2017, 09:20 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Progressives worry about lobbying, corporate ties in Biden administration chairb 0 606 10-19-2021, 05:22 PM
Last Post: chairb
  The stench of moral decay, especially in politics, is creeping across America msel 35 9,508 03-02-2021, 07:18 PM
Last Post: newvoter
  World wonders if Trump is eroding US 'moral authority' nebraska 0 1,314 01-13-2018, 07:43 PM
Last Post: nebraska
  Handicapped parking cheats will face stiffer penalties in Mass. nebraska 0 1,059 12-30-2017, 08:15 PM
Last Post: nebraska