Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ACA Repeal/Replace: Progressives Face Moral Dilemma
(09-08-2017, 09:26 AM)David Horn Wrote:
(09-07-2017, 04:51 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: David George's idea is that of all the ways of making money, taking advantage of a permanent scarcity of real estate in a captive clientele, is the easiest.  Heavily taxing income that people earn with great difficulty can drive people out of a marginal activity, but heavily taxing 'easy money' isn't going to drive people out of it.

OK, but land no longer holds the intrinsic worth it once did.  Sure, every square inch of Manhattan is worth enough to offset any taxation cost, but what about the prairie?  If I'm a farmer with 5 sections of land growing row crops, I own a large percentage of the taxable assets within my taxing authority, but the utility of the land is not high.  

This was a good idea that may have seen the limit of its value.

A plot of land large enough to hold a farmhouse in a giant city might be worth more than five sections of farmland growing row crops or a few  square miles of range land. In the county in which I live (which has much lake property) farmland is taxed almost at a zero rate and lake properties are taxed heavily.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Messages In This Thread
RE: ACA Repeal/Replace: Progressives Face Moral Dilemma - by pbrower2a - 09-08-2017, 06:41 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Progressives worry about lobbying, corporate ties in Biden administration chairb 0 605 10-19-2021, 05:22 PM
Last Post: chairb
  The stench of moral decay, especially in politics, is creeping across America msel 35 9,433 03-02-2021, 07:18 PM
Last Post: newvoter
  World wonders if Trump is eroding US 'moral authority' nebraska 0 1,312 01-13-2018, 07:43 PM
Last Post: nebraska
  Handicapped parking cheats will face stiffer penalties in Mass. nebraska 0 1,058 12-30-2017, 08:15 PM
Last Post: nebraska