Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
House passes bill to expand background checks for gun sales
(06-02-2022, 02:02 PM)David Horn Wrote:
(06-02-2022, 01:50 PM)JasonBlack Wrote:
(05-26-2022, 07:25 AM)David Horn Wrote: We've tried the "common sense measures" route.  Maybe it's time to go for the deep seats: repeal the 2nd Amendment!  It seems as likely to pass as all the less-is-less measures we've already tried, but it has the benefit of being strong and definitive.  Maybe that's where we need to be, instead of asking for crumbs from the table.

The 2nd Amendment is worth fighting for, worth killing for. After the 1st Amendment, is the most important piece of legislation in our nearly 250 year history. You will start a war if you do this, and respectfully sir, I will be enlisting on the other side...

Aren't you the guy who would refuse the draft because you don't wish to fight wars?  A little cynical here, aren't you?  But on to the 2nd ...

Read the 27 words.  It's arguable whether it was intended to foster militias to "keep them darkies in line", as some say, or to provide security in areas without a constabulary.  Either way, it's damn hard to see an individual right in there.  Guns have little if any place in urban society and limited use in less populated areas.  The 2nd is moribund, but, like a good zombie, it just keeps moving and taking lives.

And one final note: the vast majority wants weapons under control.  If they are denied, THAT will trigger anarchy and even less rationality than we hav today.

This is one issue where I stop sounding Civic/Nomad and turn into the most fiery right wing boomer. The most fundamental principle upon which America was founded was the right to self-determination and self-defense: "give me liberty or give me death!". Sure, I'm not willing to fight a war over curbing my "liberty" to drive 160 miles an hour or going overseas to blow up 14 year old Asian kids in a communist country. It's important to do get over-dramatic and wage war based off of foreign or trivial disagreements, but I am absolutely willing to support one to defend something as fundamental as the core of self-defense.

Both guns and self-defense are a religion in America (and religions perfectly in line with Christianity. the 6th commandment is often mistranslated as "thou shalt not kill", when it is actually "thou shalt not murder"). From the war of Independence to Nat Turner's Rebellion, we believe in allowing, no, celebrating those willing to use lethal force against those who try to control them. So you want to make the "well regulated militia" argument. Guess what...[b]we have those[b]. Dozens and dozens of them. Sure, some of them are a little weird, but from the time of our existence, we have had entire communities laying in wait and storing up weapons in the event of a civil war, hostile totalitarian takeover or other serious declaration of war. Americans are willing to kill in order to avoid being controlled, and it is because of that that we're virtually the only country in the world which has never had a dictator. Trying to disarm the American people would be about as futile as trying to de-Islamize Saudi Arabia or trying to de-Catholicize Poland, and I would argue....it would be far more bloody than both put together.
ammosexual
reluctant millennial

Messages In This Thread
RE: House passes bill to expand background checks for gun sales - by JasonBlack - 06-02-2022, 02:30 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hawaii bill would allow gun seizure after hospitalization nebraska 23 11,846 06-08-2022, 05:46 PM
Last Post: beechnut79
  Lawmakers Send Newsom Bill That Could Ban Gas Generators chairb 0 653 10-21-2021, 05:27 AM
Last Post: chairb
  Young Americans have rapidly turned against gun control, poll finds Einzige 5 2,180 04-30-2021, 08:09 AM
Last Post: David Horn
  2022 elections: House, Senate, State governorships pbrower2a 13 3,919 04-28-2021, 04:55 AM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  House of Delegates Passes Sweeping Gun-Control Bill stillretired 6 1,970 03-10-2021, 01:43 AM
Last Post: Kate1999
  U.S. House set to vote on bills to expand gun background checks Adar 0 757 03-08-2021, 07:37 AM
Last Post: Adar
  Trump declares emergency to expedite arms sales to Saudi Arabia and UAE Tech2 4 1,911 03-03-2021, 08:27 PM
Last Post: March3
  GOP governor pushes Texas’ first sales tax hike in 30 years random3 10 2,921 03-03-2021, 08:21 PM
Last Post: March3
  Senate passes bill to ban foreigner home purchases newvoter 2 1,113 02-28-2021, 07:09 AM
Last Post: newvoter
  Bill would delay sale of voter-approved recreational marijuana until 2023 treehugger 0 727 02-21-2021, 11:22 PM
Last Post: treehugger