Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kyrsten Synema (D - Az) brings a cake into the Senate to downvote min. wage hike
(04-19-2021, 12:24 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: Electoral rules were changed to accommodate the reality of a dangerous epidemic. Due to COVID-19, voting in person, like any mass meeting, could have become a spreader event. Early, absentee, and by-mail voting (the line between the three is hazy, but the controls against multiple voting  were still in place. State legislatures and the courts approved of the changes for 2020. 

If more people voted than usual... then at the lest there were portents, including the unusually-heavy voting in a midterm election in 2018.

Crookedness? It has never been more difficult to cast a dishonest vote or to invalidate  the votes of a disqualified voter. Someone who cast a vote on September 25 and died on October 25 was likely to have his absentee ballot disqualified due to death. My county clerk reads the obituaries, and someone who dies is automatically removed from the voter rolls. I asked about that with my deceased parents.

Results were slightly better than expected for the GOP. Polling just before the election suggested a D landslide, but the election proved close. You do not have a case on that. I saw the vote totals come in, and in general in the five states (Arizona, Georgia, Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin and two other states that were close -- Nevada and North Carolina) a pattern emerged based on the order in which the votes were counted:  the rural votes that could be counted early and were strongly R were counted early and gave early advantages to Donald Trump. Urban and many suburban votes that could not be counted quickly were announced only upon completion of the count in precinct. In-person votes were counted first and posted as public results. Absentee votes which were typically cast earlier and were heavily D were counted later. In North Carolina the urban vote that came in late was not enough to give the state's electoral votes to Donald Trump. In the other close states, figures of the news media recognized that the last votes to be counted would be those from  Phoenix, Atlanta, Detroit, Las Vegas, Philadelphia, and Milwaukee. The votes from those cities had their usual results, and those overpowered what had been narrow Trump advantages in the early count.  

The order in which votes are counted reflects reality and state law. That the votes that get counted last go a way that you dislike them going (and, yes, Trump had an early lead in Minnesota, too  but that also vanished as the votes came in from the Twin Cities) does not disqualify them. 

America is changing, perhaps into something uncomfortable to you. Maybe you need to get out and about more. America is becoming less Anglo, white, and Protestant.
You're making excuses for an OBVIOUS wrong doing again. The bulk of the Republican base ignored the danger associated with the pandemic (it's easy to do when you've been working and living through it the entire time) and voted in mass like they normally do on election day during a high point of the pandemic. I think it's very clear (damn near cut and dry) that the illegal gerrymandering of election laws that were done were done increase voter turnout that would mainly benefited the Democratic side. You shared a list of changes to the norm that pertained to people that normally wouldn't have been able to vote. People like people in jail and people from some other district and people without any proof of identity were given the right to vote and so forth.

The only people who really deserved special considerations and minor tweaks to normal voting procedures like additional absentee ballots and additional means to have them delivered were those who were at high risk stuck/isolated in nursing homes or those of high risk like yourself and others here isolating themselves at home. It doesn't matter now, the government that you and others are reliant upon for support didn't adequately address it, blew it off and more or less brushed it under the rug of wrong doing and called it good anyway and signed off on Biden becoming President. Well, guess what, the damage is done and fixing it ain't going to happen now. I'd like to see if you are able to look me in the eye and tell me that what went on with voting laws was legitimate and perfectly legal. I doubt you'd do it, if you're smart that is? I'm not sure how smart you are, you seem pretty dumb for a smart person. It's not a knock, it's just an observation that you normally wouldn't hear. You're right, a portion of America is changing as in deteriorating and turning to shit these days. Oh well, it's a Democratic problem that Democrats are going to find themselves being forced to pay for one way or another and find themselves being held accountable for as far as they're actions as well. Oh, then there's the matter of cheering them on and raising funds to bail them out and more or less allowing it to continue like they've been doing.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Kyrsten Synema (D - Az) brings a cake into the Senate to downvote min. wage hike - by Classic-Xer - 04-19-2021, 10:10 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dow Falls as Biden Reportedly Mulls Tax Hike on Rich chairb 7 2,080 10-25-2021, 03:47 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Higher minimum wage will kill entry-level jobs and economic growth nebraska 44 13,557 04-30-2021, 02:05 AM
Last Post: DettoLalo
  2022 elections: House, Senate, State governorships pbrower2a 13 3,907 04-28-2021, 04:55 AM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Hawaii Senate approves nation’s highest income tax rate HealthyDebate 0 778 03-12-2021, 06:46 PM
Last Post: HealthyDebate
  GOP governor pushes Texas’ first sales tax hike in 30 years random3 10 2,918 03-03-2021, 08:21 PM
Last Post: March3
  Senate passes bill to ban foreigner home purchases newvoter 2 1,104 02-28-2021, 07:09 AM
Last Post: newvoter
  U.S. Capitol insurrection was a ‘hoax,’ Michigan Senate leader says in video random3 45 9,553 02-16-2021, 06:50 AM
Last Post: random3
  Biden push to raise minimum wage to $15 would kill 1.4 million jobs: CBO random3 6 1,628 02-12-2021, 07:34 PM
  Senate Passes Constitutional Ban On Legal Marijuana random3 0 534 02-09-2021, 06:57 PM
  House of Delegates, Senate panel vote to ban electronic 'skill' games Luza 0 617 02-03-2021, 10:55 PM
Last Post: Luza