Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bipartisan Senate group proposes ‘no fly, no buy’ gun measure
(10-14-2018, 10:40 PM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote:
(10-14-2018, 07:51 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote: I didn't tell the person to commit suicide. I didn't ask the person to commit suicide. I tossed it on the table as an option as a way to call an obvious  bluff of a blue playing the victim and stifle them a bit.

Note I didn't point fingers or address by name.  I would rather not deal with personal attacks, but deal with issues.  That is one way to push it.

Second, what one person intends to say, especially on the internet, is often not what another person with a hostile world view interprets.  Miscommunication should be expected.  If it isn't cleared up, you get a mess.

As someone who has contemplated suicide when his world crashed, the only response to someone so thinking is to remind someone that life still has value. Maybe I could not talk someone out of suicide who is in the end stages of terminal illness or who faces a long prison term or the death sentence, but someone who has lost everything and thinks himself too old or too wrecked to start over or to live on his past? There really is more to life than uncritical consumerism -- like culture. Time and life are precious, and there are enriching experiences available cheaply. Like this:

Visit an art museum. Go on a hike. Play a round of golf on the course on which you still have a membership. Watch an old movie that is side-splitting funny. Dust off your recording of a beloved opera and play it on your stereo. Do some volunteer work. People can live happy lives without sweating whether they can make payments on the Mercedes-Benz or keep up a costly self image.

It may be that I took the message too literally. That goes with Asperger's, and people with Asperger's often  have unusually-rigid morals. We must, lest we act as badly as we might. We have enough problems trying to seem normal and presentable.

Miscalculations happen, and I asked someone who made an unflattering distortion of my screen name to correct it. I got compliance and an apology, which was good enough for me. That is what I wanted. I can be pedantic; it goes with the territory.

I know that a majority of people dislike my politics and my cultural values. I accept this. On the other hand, I thoroughly loathe the political statements of anyone attached to a philosophy that has murdered, enslaved, or robbed people. I have encountered antisemitic screeds entering fora with audiences like this, and I call the antisemitic creep out for something so blatantly unwelcome. Because I am a Jew? I am not Jewish. I am about half-German, and I can never forgive people who align themselves with those who have murdered people similar in culture and morals to mine. Some harsh judgments really are just.

I'm giving nobody a free pass. I have called out some allegedly pro-Israel people for mocking the death of Rachel Corrie, an English woman who sneaked into a Palestinian home scheduled for destruction by Israeli authorities because a family member had committed a suicide attack on Israelis and was killed when the home was demolished as the home collapsed upon her. She may have been misguided, but her death is a tragedy, and people who mock her disgust me. Life is precious, which makes terrorism wrong.

In any event, contrition is a good thing for all concerned.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bipartisan Senate group proposes ‘no fly, no buy’ gun measure - by pbrower2a - 10-15-2018, 09:02 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  House passes bill to expand background checks for gun sales HealthyDebate 49 7,184 11-22-2022, 02:22 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Hawaii bill would allow gun seizure after hospitalization nebraska 23 11,731 06-08-2022, 05:46 PM
Last Post: beechnut79
  Young Americans have rapidly turned against gun control, poll finds Einzige 5 2,156 04-30-2021, 08:09 AM
Last Post: David Horn
  2022 elections: House, Senate, State governorships pbrower2a 13 3,902 04-28-2021, 04:55 AM
  Kyrsten Synema (D - Az) brings a cake into the Senate to downvote min. wage hike Einzige 104 27,387 04-22-2021, 03:21 AM
  Hawaii Senate approves nation’s highest income tax rate HealthyDebate 0 776 03-12-2021, 06:46 PM
Last Post: HealthyDebate
  House of Delegates Passes Sweeping Gun-Control Bill stillretired 6 1,932 03-10-2021, 01:43 AM
Last Post: Kate1999
  Biden faces bipartisan backlash over Syria bombing Kate1999 0 716 03-09-2021, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Kate1999
  U.S. House set to vote on bills to expand gun background checks Adar 0 752 03-08-2021, 07:37 AM
Last Post: Adar
  Senate passes bill to ban foreigner home purchases newvoter 2 1,098 02-28-2021, 07:09 AM
Last Post: newvoter