Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bipartisan Senate group proposes ‘no fly, no buy’ gun measure
(12-07-2018, 08:02 PM)Classic-Xer Wrote: You think we've been debating? I haven't been debating with you. Have you been debating with me?

Sometimes you say something shocking. You thus introduce something to debate.

Quote:Honestly, I don't view your ideas or your views as being all that interesting, all that educated, all that moving or as being all that accurate either. Right now, you're an older white guy like me. You're an older white who supposedly/ automatically represents white privilege like me.

I recognize the reality of white privilege, at least against blacks.  But there are white people whose white privilege is slight compared to handicaps due to education and location. I started a thread contrasting the states on measures of quality of life subdivided by state and ethnicity. White privilege is a reality in all American states  against blacks, Hispanics, and First peoples (but for real privilege, look at Asian-Americans, especially Indian- (from India) , Filipino-, Chinese-, Korean-, and Japanese-Americans. This reflects cultural differences, largely that these groups have a high regard for formal education).

I saw some oddities. On the whole one was better off, on the average, by being black in Maryland than being white in West Virginia. Such reflects differences in opportunity in the two states. But this said, white privilege means that one can dress like a bum and shop in a department store without being followed as a potential shoplifter. But this said, getting a solid education and having a solid work ethic matters more in life than does 'race'.

Quote:Voting Democratic doesn't change who you're viewed as based on you're physical characteristics and you're visual appearance. The man haters and the white man/ white people haters and the white privilege haters probably don't know how to tell the difference between the two of us and probably aren't that interested in separating us based on our beliefs. I'm not going to bow down to any of them or change my views of them or positions to save you or any ither white liberal.

What says that I feel any 'white guilt'? I did not create 'white privilege'.  I do not enforce it or knowingly exploit it. I am a man, and I am very much a man (copious body hair, a long ring finger, broad shoulders, and a deep voice) -- but I also recognize that testosterone tends to create aggression. Testosterone combined with fanaticism or alcohol can create trouble. Good men tone down their masculinity; bad men  emphasize it.

Quote:I mean, I  pretty much can't stand any of them now and hating them isn't going to require much of an adjustment. Now, I'm not sure what it's going to be like when the liberal white males find themselves trapped/ positioned between the hatred that has been growing on the left and the indifference that has become much more common on the American right.

The hatred is toward blatant racists and those who stand for pure plutocracy. It is easy to distinguish oneself from such scum.

Quote:I hear about all the hatred that supposedly exists on the American right these days. I hear liberals talking about how bad the white supremacist groups are and the bad stuff that members of those groups have done and so forth. However, I do actually hear and see the amount of hatred and the obvious signs and activities associated with hatred that exists on the left these days.

Just yesterday one white supremacist was convicted of first-degree murder for driving his car into a bunch of people who had been protesting people like him (he is an admirer of Adolf Hitler) in Charlottesville, Virginia. A few years ago a blatant racist went into a historic African-American church and killed worshipers who had tried to guide him away from white racism.  (The second fellow has been sentenced to death as the result of a federal prosecution and judgment). A neo-Nazi recently shot several Jews to death in a synagogue in Pittsburgh.

Is there any question that white racism is dangerous to people that the racists see as pariahs?
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bipartisan Senate group proposes ‘no fly, no buy’ gun measure - by pbrower2a - 12-08-2018, 03:17 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  House passes bill to expand background checks for gun sales HealthyDebate 49 7,184 11-22-2022, 02:22 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Hawaii bill would allow gun seizure after hospitalization nebraska 23 11,733 06-08-2022, 05:46 PM
Last Post: beechnut79
  Young Americans have rapidly turned against gun control, poll finds Einzige 5 2,156 04-30-2021, 08:09 AM
Last Post: David Horn
  2022 elections: House, Senate, State governorships pbrower2a 13 3,904 04-28-2021, 04:55 AM
  Kyrsten Synema (D - Az) brings a cake into the Senate to downvote min. wage hike Einzige 104 27,394 04-22-2021, 03:21 AM
  Hawaii Senate approves nation’s highest income tax rate HealthyDebate 0 776 03-12-2021, 06:46 PM
Last Post: HealthyDebate
  House of Delegates Passes Sweeping Gun-Control Bill stillretired 6 1,932 03-10-2021, 01:43 AM
Last Post: Kate1999
  Biden faces bipartisan backlash over Syria bombing Kate1999 0 717 03-09-2021, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Kate1999
  U.S. House set to vote on bills to expand gun background checks Adar 0 752 03-08-2021, 07:37 AM
Last Post: Adar
  Senate passes bill to ban foreigner home purchases newvoter 2 1,098 02-28-2021, 07:09 AM
Last Post: newvoter