Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bipartisan Senate group proposes ‘no fly, no buy’ gun measure
(12-20-2018, 03:16 AM)Classic-Xer Wrote:
(12-19-2018, 11:39 PM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote: 1. Cuss words.  Different strokes for different folks. I work in a blue collar job. Such words are normal in daily discourse. It's also not a good idea to nag folks about them either.

2. |Aspergers. Well, there are 2 folks who have this where I work as well and they cuss, fwiw. As far as I know folks with this condition are not a threat to anyone because of said condition. I even have a relative who has it. None of them gives me any discomfort anyway.

3. Issues from the old forum. I can't adjudicate these that arose on the old forum because although I was on the old forum, I was not a moderator or had any special information about what was going on. Since that stuff didn't involve me, I just ignored the whole thing.

4. If this thread doesn't calm down, I'm going to close it. After all, I don't get paid anything and emotion laden personal issues are a fucking pain in the ass.

Dude, in all my years of interacting with people face to face (I'm talking thousands of people) or on telephones. I have never met  a decent person who had to gall to  tell me how I feel, what I think, what I believe, what I am, what I said  or view as true and then call me a liar when I disagree with them.

I do not know how others feel. My feelings may not be suitable models for explaining how others feel. What is fairly easy to explain is how people do cognition because intelligence testing says much about people. Someone with an IQ of 130 thinks very differently from someone with an IQ of 75. Which is better? Neither. There have been horrible people with high IQs and good people with low IQs. Unabom killer Ted Kaczynski exemplifies what evil is possible in brilliant people. Fitting into our society? That's easy. Mass culture, politics, religion, advertising, an most work are all designed for the most readily-available people, and hiring the stupid is cheaper than hiring the smart. If you love Beethoven's string quartets or Escher's weird plays with artistic perspective, then consider yourself lucky.

But even at that, I can never feel what others feel because I cannot connect to others' nerves. Not having pancreatic cancer and never having had a third-degree burn, I cannot feel what either feels like -- not that I want to. The most that I can do is give some kind words of encouragement, which fortunately are easy-to-learn bromides. If you have seen the show Star Trek, you may be familiar with the Vulcan mind-meld that allows Spock to  put his hands on someone's neck and experience what the other person (or creature!) feels.  We are not Vulcans, so we must rely upon personal expressions in words and non-verbal communications. Asperger's syndrome makes me utterly inept at understanding non-verbal communications, so I must compensate. Language! Mathematics! Music! Art! My universe is richer in some ways and poorer in others.

Quote:I've had some morons do it with me on the phone. But even the morons understood the consequences or price they'd pay once they were proven wrong.

The price to pay for being proved wrong? Some people find the experience either a complete disaster or a learning experience. I prefer the latter. I prefer to not make the same mistake multiple times. I am horrible at facial recognition or 'reading' non-verbal communications, so my understanding can be very literal.

We learn from our mistakes, but it is obviously best to never make certain mistakes -- like smoking, using heroin or cocaine, getting drunk, getting into fist-fights, committing crimes, writing NSF checks, getting involved in Scientology, joining the Klan, putting fingers into sulfuric acid, mixing ammonia with chlorine bleach, provoking Rottweilers by throwing stones at them, trying to start over in some cities in Michigan and Ohio, visiting North Korea... Some mistakes will kill one or get one into big trouble.

Quote:Well, I've had that happen to me a thousand times since I arrived at the old 4t. Now, why are you unable to see that or care? I'm asking you that because its going to start happening more often in real life because someone is teaching it to males. Lets see, we can't swear at them. We can't hit them. We can't be mean to them. All we can do is nothing and try to avoid them. Me, I come and go.  If the site disappears, oh well, so what, I'll find something else that's interesting to occupy my spare time.

What do you get out of using a vile insult at a fellow poster? I may be excessively literal, but I interpret "F--- you!" to mean "Get raped!" It goes with the territory.

It is better that we try to be good to fellow people. Evil hurts because it does more damage than good.

By the way -- should you decide to leave this Forum, we will do well enough without you. There are people that I miss from the old forum and some others.

Quote:You might be here for a while a moderator. A new red or two might show up and drop f-booms on some pesky inconsiderate blues acting like morons. Are you going to ban them for upsetting blues? I realize that you're a volunteer and you don't want to be bothered by trivial stuff or drug into trivial stuff. I only bothered you because you told me to bother. Sorry dude, I'm just following your rules. I could only imagine what life's like catering to the emotional needs and trivial qualms of a bunch of pesky inconsiderate blues who seem to have right that they don't have.

This forum is wholly unsuited to morons. Every forum has its rules, and I have encountered some forums in which I have good cause to avoid. On one, if I were to discuss how great Mendelssohn and Mahler are as composers I would get into big trouble. That is a pro-Nazi forum, and I would be tempted to tell people that I hate Nazis so much that I would rather convert to Judaism than be Nazi scum who think genocide against people who did nothing wrong personally a great service to Humanity.

In time I expect people to appear here in an effort to revive conservatism as an alternative to big-government liberalism. I know their arguments fairly well -- that everything good has a price, including economic growth that changes people's lives generally for the better. Tradition usually has some cause for existence, and when things get crazy and absurd, tradition offers a fresh connection to the tried-and-true. Economic inequality implies rewards for doing things that might be unattractive-but-wholesome risks, doing jobs with objectionable characteristics, deterring gratification, and making genuine investments -- or punishing laziness, destructiveness, vice, and insensitivity. History has value as a guide to avoid making the same mistakes. So if I hear some angry zealot attacking people for their religion I get scared on behalf of the possible results to innocent people. Likewise if I hear some angry zealot claiming that all that is necessary for jump-starting social progress is to dispossess property owners and give everything to the State... I know how that went in Russia in 1917.

As I see things, much of the Right saw fit to hitch its wagon to Donald Trump. That wagon seems headed into a black hole.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bipartisan Senate group proposes ‘no fly, no buy’ gun measure - by pbrower2a - 12-20-2018, 08:12 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  House passes bill to expand background checks for gun sales HealthyDebate 49 7,183 11-22-2022, 02:22 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Hawaii bill would allow gun seizure after hospitalization nebraska 23 11,731 06-08-2022, 05:46 PM
Last Post: beechnut79
  Young Americans have rapidly turned against gun control, poll finds Einzige 5 2,156 04-30-2021, 08:09 AM
Last Post: David Horn
  2022 elections: House, Senate, State governorships pbrower2a 13 3,902 04-28-2021, 04:55 AM
  Kyrsten Synema (D - Az) brings a cake into the Senate to downvote min. wage hike Einzige 104 27,386 04-22-2021, 03:21 AM
  Hawaii Senate approves nation’s highest income tax rate HealthyDebate 0 776 03-12-2021, 06:46 PM
Last Post: HealthyDebate
  House of Delegates Passes Sweeping Gun-Control Bill stillretired 6 1,931 03-10-2021, 01:43 AM
Last Post: Kate1999
  Biden faces bipartisan backlash over Syria bombing Kate1999 0 716 03-09-2021, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Kate1999
  U.S. House set to vote on bills to expand gun background checks Adar 0 752 03-08-2021, 07:37 AM
Last Post: Adar
  Senate passes bill to ban foreigner home purchases newvoter 2 1,098 02-28-2021, 07:09 AM
Last Post: newvoter