Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Political compass for the21st century
(03-19-2021, 04:03 AM)Captain Genet Wrote:
(03-18-2021, 01:48 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: Ah, so the new incarnation of you has more moderated positions. Very good.

Now, maybe you can begin to see that "sex, drugs and rock'n'roll", as the modern-day version of wine, women and song, has its place too, and I agree that "a civilized person puts other, more complex goals first". I also contend that the 2nd-turning version was better than the 3T version, because it had its high-art "extropy" aspects. These may not be so apparent in the portion that is readily available on mainstream media. That's why I recommend you peruse my list! 
http://philosopherswheel.com/ericrock.html (and brower too; he still prefers the previous 4T version)

I decided to listen to one song per day. Today is time for The Who with "Won't Get Fooled Again" and I definitely enjoy it. The length is a surprise, I'm used to song that last for 3-4 minutes, not 8. Some 2T music is stuporous and boring, like some 3T music is chaotic and aggressive. But I was wrong to assume all 2T music is like the music I disliked.

I can tentatively conclude that Boomers will be remembered as musically talented, like Transcendentals are remembered as great poets.

It's when 2T music became overtly commercial and quit claiming any pretense to intellectual depth or moral improvement (as with Disco) that many Boomers 'grew out' of pop music, going to country, R&B, gospel, folk, jazz, or classical -- depending largely on ideology or proclivity. That was late.  

Quote:
Quote:I see how the word "extropy" relates to "entropy," the 2nd law of thermodynamics used to propose the ultimate run-down of the universe, and how extropy might be an alternative to this supposed destiny. If that's what it means, heartily agree. I believe some people used the word "negentropy" for this, probably based on the work of Pierre Teilhard de Chardin.

You've got this right. Negentropy sounds weird though, it's a positive thing so why the "neg" as in "negative".

Ultimate run-down of the universe will happen in about 100 trillion years, so we shouldn't worry about it. The Cosmos is still a child. Most civilizations are yet to be born, and it's likely we are the first to arise, at least in the Milky Way galaxy.

Well before that the sunlight will steadily increase, and even a 5% increase (which has nothing to do with anthropogenic global warming), temperatures will get too hot for warm-blooded life (mammals and birds, especially). Oxygen becomes less soluble in water as temperature increases (paradoxically the polar seas are richer in aquatic life than are tropical waters, which is the inverse of the reality on land, in which terrestrial life becomes scarcer and slower as one goes toward the poles, becomes a thermal desert in the tundra, and becomes a complete desert in the ice sheets), so fish start to perish. Any creatures (seals, dolphins, whales, octopuses, Icelanders, and Norwegians) who rely heavily upon fish for food will be out of luck, to put it mildly. That is when the average world temperature is that of tropical seas, around 30C (86F). Breathing will be harder in thinner, more humid air. Human life as we know it will go extinct as will our cattle, sheep, and dogs. Cats and camels might last a bit longer, but not much.

At some point, such life on Earth that will be possible will be self-replicating, self-repairing robots that can thrive in the hot, humid world that we cannot live in because their metabolism will be electrical current from solar power (which will be intense)... but even that will not last long. The runaway greenhouse begins when the average temperature of the Earth reaches something like 50 C (122F). The highest that I ever experienced was 45C (113F) in Dallas in 1980... and I made grim jokes about who I saw out and about. Characters like Billy the Kid, Al Capone, John Dillinger, Ted Bundy, and eventually the likes of John Wilkes Booth, Lee Harvey Oswald, Adolf Eichmann, Mao Zedong, Benito Mussolini, and Hideki Tojo. I was "saving" Stalin for 114F and Hitler for 115F. I wore winter clothes as protection from the brutal sunlight, as Dallas is about as sunny as a hot desert most of the time.

Around 50C the runaway wet greenhouse effect takes effect. Evaporation of water from all sources intensifies, and water is an even more powerful greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide. Mammal, bird, fish, and amphibian life will be gone, and most plant life will be, too. What remains, including bacteria, won't last long. Temperatures will skyrocket, and they will quickly get hotter on Earth than those of Venus because the waters of the seas w8ll have become vapor. Water vapor near the top of the atmosphere will be broken into oxygen and hydrogen, with hydrogen escaping into space. Within about ten million years the Earth will have gone from being a world of struggling life to an inferno in which the surface rocks and any of the flimsy constructions of steel and glass that remain from the human presence start to melt. The iron-and-silicon life that is the self-reproducing and self-repairing robots will themselves go extinct quickly as they too melt.   

Such surviving humans will not be able to say, like "Rick Blaine" (Humphrey Bogart)  and "Ilsa Lund" (Ingrid Bergman) that they "will always have Paris". There will be no more Paris. Or St. Petersburg (Florida or Russia).  There will be no Angel Falls or Grand Canyon either. Maybe some part of Humanity will have relocated, with its cattle, sheep, goats, horses, dogs, and cats, to some newer world at an earlier stage of planetary life and will be thriving. Maybe the cycle continues for a few more generations of stellar development. But that too comes to an end.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Political compass for the21st century - by pbrower2a - 03-19-2021, 01:22 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Controversial Political Opinions JasonBlack 181 33,582 12-20-2022, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green
  How Birth Year Influences Political Views Dan '82 12 15,032 10-07-2020, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green
  Comprehensive Political Cycle Theory jleagans 15 10,275 03-19-2019, 09:57 AM
Last Post: Marypoza
  Where to post political topics Webmaster 0 10,519 05-06-2016, 01:15 PM
Last Post: Webmaster