Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Harvard Business Review: Are U.S. Millennial Men Just as Sexist as Their Dads?
Well, this is embarrassing...

Quote:Millennials, those Americans now between 16 and 36 years old, are often spoken of as if they’re ushering in a new era of enlightened interpersonal relations. For example, in 2013 Time predicted Millennials would “save us all” because they are “more accepting of differences…in everyone.” That same year, The Atlantic stated that Millennials hold the “historically unprecedented belief that there are no inherently male or female roles in society.” And in 2015 the Huffington Post wrote that Millennial men are “likely to see women as equals.”

If these characterizations are even close to accurate, we should expect the pervasive, damaging biases against women leaders to diminish substantially, if not end entirely, once Millennials assume positions of economic, academic, and political power. But before we start celebrating a coming age of gender parity, we need to ask whether there is any truth to these characterizations. Do Millennials really believe there are no inherently male or female roles in society? Do Millennial men really “see women as equals”? Unfortunately, the best information we have indicates the answer to both questions is no.

In February 2016 researchers at the National Institutes of Health published a study on how college biology students view their classmates’ intelligence and achievements. The researchers found that male students systematically overestimated the knowledge of the men in their classes in comparison with the women. Moreover, as the academic term progressed, the men’s faulty appraisal of their classmates’ abilities increased despite clear evidence of the women’s superior class performance. In every biology class examined, a man was considered the most renowned student — even when a woman had far better grades. In contrast, the female students surveyed did not show bias, accurately evaluating their fellow students based on performance. After studying the attitudes of these future scientists, the researchers concluded, “The chilly environment for women [in the sciences] may not be going away anytime soon.”

Millennial men’s views of women’s intelligence and ability even extend to women in senior leadership positions. In a 2014 survey of more than 2,000 U.S. adults, Harris Poll found that young men were less open to accepting women leaders than older men were. Only 41% of Millennial men were comfortable with women engineers, compared to 65% of men 65 or older. Likewise, only 43% of Millennial men were comfortable with women being U.S. senators, compared to 64% of Americans overall. (The numbers were 39% versus 61% for women being CEOs of Fortune 500 companies, and 35% versus 57% for president of the United States.)

Moreover, according to a 2013 Pew survey of Americans, Millennial women are significantly more likely than older women to say that the country needs to continue making changes to bring about equality in the workplace, but Millennial men are the group most likely to say that all necessary changes have been made.

A glimmer of hope was found in the huge survey of Harvard Business School MBAs in a 2014 HBR article, which found that Millennial men were more likely than Gen X and Boomer men to predict that their wives would have equal careers, and less likely to do the majority of the child care. But that hope vanished when the researchers found the gap between what Millennial men and Millennial women believed was still wide: “Whereas three-quarters of Millennial women anticipate that their careers will be at least as important as their partners,” they reported, “half the men in their generation expect that their own careers will take priority.” The gap was similar when it came to child care responsibilities. Fewer than half of Millennial women believed they would handle most of the child care, but two-thirds of their male peers believed the same about themselves.

Taken together, this body of research should dispel any notion that Millennial men “see women as equals.” Indeed, this information raises a serious concern that unless something is done soon to change Millennial men’s attitudes toward women, these men ascending to the C-suite may hinder — rather than advance — current efforts to reduce the discriminatory effects of gender bias.

We have heard too many reasonable people make the argument, almost fatalistically, that the arc of history bends toward justice. That is true. But the arc of history bends because leaders work to bend it. Bias doesn’t just die out. Patience may be a virtue, but patience alone will not bring equality.

This is the most shocking statistic to me:

Quote:Only 41% of Millennial men were comfortable with women engineers, compared to 65% of men 65 or older. Likewise, only 43% of Millennial men were comfortable with women being U.S. senators, compared to 64% of Americans overall.

That is almost unbelievable, Millennials are more sexist when it comes to women in STEM than Boomers. WTF???  Angry
#MakeTheDemocratsGreatAgain
Civic men tend to be male chauvinists. They are more likely to be regimented in largely-male organizations.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(06-19-2016, 11:24 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: Civic men tend to be male chauvinists. They are more likely to be regimented in largely-male organizations.

Yes sort of, that's how I read Generations.  As "Hero generations celebrate sex differences" , and "sex differences widen in 4T's". I wouldn't use the term, chauvinists, though. All generations have attributes which arise from how raised. 

Prophets are raised in a Hero environment as indulged and Hero generations don't like it when prophets attack the Hero's institution.

Next distracted/addled Artists raise Nomads in a permissive/neglected manner and wind up not liking the hardened product thereof.

Nomads get what they want. They get Artists that are attuned to diplomatic and "nice"..
---Value Added Cool
(06-19-2016, 06:46 PM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote:
(06-19-2016, 11:24 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: Civic men tend to be male chauvinists. They are more likely to be regimented in largely-male organizations.

Yes sort of, that's how I read Generations.  As "Hero generations celebrate sex differences" , and "sex differences widen in 4T's". I wouldn't use the term, chauvinists, though. All generations have attributes which arise from how raised. 

Prophets are raised in a Hero environment as indulged and Hero generations don't like it when prophets attack the Hero's institution.

Next distracted/addled Artists raise Nomads in a permissive/neglected manner and wind up not liking the hardened product thereof.

Nomads get what they want. They get Artists that are attuned to diplomatic and "nice"..

The Hero generation starts to form once the Idealist generation begins to realize that the counterculture is a poor environment for children. When you notice how many late-wave Boomers, however liberal they might be on race, religion, homosexuality foreign policy, and economics are so reactionary about drugs, child abuse or neglect, and street crime... one might see which X types can develop some creativity and imagination, and why Millennials cannot be X.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

More like heroes want to force people to have the widened sex differences. If you're not like their stereotypes you're considered to be being fake or driven by propaganda. It's sickening. But whatever, during the 1T I will act however I want and the sexist civics will have to deal with it. I have no incentive to act how they want me to act because it's not like they'd protect me or give me anything in return anyways.
(07-19-2016, 10:43 AM)disasterzone Wrote:

More like heroes want to force people to have the widened sex differences. If you're not like their stereotypes you're considered to be being fake or driven by propaganda. It's sickening. But whatever, during the 1T I will act however I want and the sexist civics will have to deal with it. I have no incentive to act how they want me to act because it's not like they'd protect me or give me anything in return anyways.

As one of the Civics who doesn't actually appreciate the widened sex differences, I actually agree with you. After reading Generations, I was starting to think of the possiblility that Millennials would actually narrow the sex roles and create institutions where men and women are considered equal.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again."
—Thomas Paine, Common Sense (1776)

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
—Mark Twain

'98 Millennial
(07-19-2016, 11:22 AM)MillsT_98 Wrote:

As one of the Civics who doesn't actually appreciate the widened sex differences, I actually agree with you. After reading Generations, I was starting to think of the possiblility that Millennials would actually narrow the sex roles and create institutions where men and women are considered equal.

I don't believe that will happen. Look at the posts you see all over the internet. A very bitter and ruined generation of men. They also use feminism as an excuse to tear down any woman who needs help whatsoever. Like it's OK for them to get help for things but God forbid a woman does.

How will you react in the 1T when the gender roles narrow down even more?
(07-19-2016, 11:26 AM)disasterzone Wrote:
(07-19-2016, 11:22 AM)MillsT_98 Wrote:

I don't believe that will happen. Look at the posts you see all over the internet. A very bitter and ruined generation of men. They also use feminism as an excuse to tear down any woman who needs help whatsoever. Like it's OK for them to get help for things but God forbid a woman does.

How will you react in the 1T when the gender roles narrow down even more?

There might be two competing camps of Civics where one group favors the widening of sex roles and the other favors narrowing them. I would probably be in the second camp.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again."
—Thomas Paine, Common Sense (1776)

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
—Mark Twain

'98 Millennial

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Millennial Women Empowered sbarrera 18 2,560 08-22-2022, 09:39 PM
Last Post: JasonBlack
Brick People not accepting our Millennial theory X Marks the Spot 43 16,430 02-17-2022, 10:49 AM
Last Post: David Horn
  Rating Millennial start dates Ghost 5 2,092 12-31-2021, 11:05 AM
  The only way to stop Millennial cancel culture is to outlaw it AspieMillennial 16 7,190 07-01-2021, 11:28 AM
Last Post: AspieMillennial
  Millennial filmmakers GeekyCynic 0 1,245 01-05-2021, 04:08 PM
Last Post: GeekyCynic
  I’m a millennial? RadianMay 20 12,529 08-20-2020, 12:28 PM
  The mystery of Millennial politics Dan '82 67 63,421 08-13-2020, 02:54 PM
Last Post: jleagans
  So why aren't Millennial adults spending enough? pbrower2a 2 2,796 12-02-2018, 02:17 AM
Last Post: pbrower2a
Video The Millennial Counter Argument - Millennials and their videos debunking everything sbarrera 9 8,134 10-12-2018, 06:36 AM
Last Post: sbarrera
  No more Millennial children Craig '84 20 15,632 09-28-2018, 06:23 AM
Last Post: Tuss