Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Report: Three Baton Rouge police officers shot near BRPD HQ
Saying "there is a decline in race relations" implies that blacks and whites are shouting at or shooting each other. That's not what's happening. Police are killing unarmed young blacks and getting away with it. Armed black nutcases are killing cops for revenge. It's mostly a police problem, and the background is the economic policies of our country.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(07-18-2016, 10:29 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(07-18-2016, 05:39 PM)radind Wrote: The economy is worse and slow to recover. There is also too much hate speech and too little dialogue.

And too much attachment to ideologies and worldviews, radind, so that dialogue is next to impossible anyway.

You have about convinced me -almost no hope.
 … whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. Phil 4:8 (ESV)
(07-18-2016, 10:41 PM)radind Wrote:
(07-18-2016, 10:29 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(07-18-2016, 05:39 PM)radind Wrote: The economy is worse and slow to recover. There is also too much hate speech and too little dialogue.

And too much attachment to ideologies and worldviews, radind, so that dialogue is next to impossible anyway.

You have about convinced me -almost no hope.

ha ha!

You have to believe in astrology to get that Smile

Younger people are less ideological, generally. There's always some hope from them.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(07-18-2016, 10:25 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: 1. How about policies that police must treat the public with respect regardless of race?

Yes.

2. I don't know about your stats, but it's a fine way to reduce prison populations.

Legalize the herb, man for a start.  Ditching the war on drugs will make for far fewer shootings like ditching prohibition did.  Fobbing off dubious moral superiority onto unwilling participants leads to pissing wars.

3. How about we pass a nationwide repeal of open and concealed carry laws so we don't have guns all over the streets in which some angry person could just start shooting at cops or at you and me.

Nope.  No can do.  We likie our gunz in da fly over zone.

---Value Added Cool
There is no such thing as "not ideological". Everyone subscribes to an ideology, even if it is only an unconscious acceptance of current ruling ideology of late-stage Capitalism as "common sense", "human nature", and "the way things are".
#MakeTheDemocratsGreatAgain
(07-18-2016, 11:43 PM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote: Nope.  No can do.  We likie our gunz in da fly over zone.

I know, but why this crap about carrying them around on the street? Do you guys in da fly over zone want to go back to the days of Hamilton vs. Burr, or what? Shootouts at the OK Corale?

I find it hard to imagine the mentality in those states that allow it.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(07-19-2016, 07:12 AM)Odin Wrote: There is no such thing as "not ideological". Everyone subscribes to an ideology, even if it is only an unconscious acceptance of current ruling ideology of late-stage Capitalism as "common sense", "human nature", and "the way things are".

Or at least a philosophy. An ideology tends to be something you hold on to rigidly without examination.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(07-19-2016, 12:27 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(07-19-2016, 07:12 AM)Odin Wrote: There is no such thing as "not ideological". Everyone subscribes to an ideology, even if it is only an unconscious acceptance of current ruling ideology of late-stage Capitalism as "common sense", "human nature", and "the way things are".

Or at least a philosophy. An ideology tends to be something you hold on to rigidly without examination.

Whatever you call it( I like the term 'worldview') , the basis for one's point of view can be examined or unexamined.
 … whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. Phil 4:8 (ESV)
(07-19-2016, 12:35 PM)radind Wrote:
(07-19-2016, 12:27 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:

Whatever you call it( I like the term 'worldview') , the basis for one's point of view can be examined or unexamined.

Yes indeed.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
1. Jobs and the economy have nothing to do with this. The abuse of power by police, particularly focused against blacks and Latino populations has been a constant issue since 1865.

2. Recent outrage is directly related to the fact that now hand-held technology can capture and communicate the atrocities without the muffling effect of corporate media and political pressure.

3. Younger generations are less racist than older generations, and are speaking out. Xers and Millies on the whole are more accepting of mixed culture and find police use of force more objectionable. They address the matter using #2 above.

Take a look at the rather reasonable 10 points presented by those shameless upstarts known as BlackLivesMatter. Pretty reasonable requests/demands that go to the heart of the matter. You don't see them demanding welfare checks or drugs or more jobs do you? They are addressing the issue at hand. Dismissing this, and instead diverting the discussion to such matters as joblessness, single parent households, etc. is in and of itself racism in action. The issue is over aggressive policing policies, carried out by under trained police, selected mainly on their qualities as aggressive enforcers of the law as handed to them by the "law and order" political leaders.

http://www.puckermob.com/lifestyle/black...-they-want

After reading that, it should be really very hard to see BLM as a racist hate group, shouldn't it? All these demands are pretty middle of the road, reasonable attempts to bring about competent policing in a free society.

Oh...........and this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l71Pvvnp3oE
There was never any good old days
They are today, they are tomorrow
It's a stupid thing we say
Cursing tomorrow with sorrow
       -- Eugene Hutz
(07-18-2016, 11:43 PM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote: Nope.  No can do.  We likie our gunz in da fly over zone.
Eric The Green Wrote:I know, but why this crap about carrying them around on the street? Do you guys in da fly over zone want to go back to the days of Hamilton vs. Burr, or what? Shootouts at the OK Corale?

It comes down to a preference of whether one or a state for that matter prefers Coke or Pepsi. Some states prefer strong gun laws [Coke] or permissive laws [Pepsi].   Folks should be allowed to choose Pepsi in peace.

Eric The Green Wrote:I find it hard to imagine the mentality in those states that allow it.

We just learned the hard way that prohibition in general doesn't work.  Stiff drug penalties just ended up doing nothing but filling our prisons.  In turn those prisons just turned into felon factories.

http://www.stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/...law_reform

http://swtimes.com/legislature/oklahoma-...tence-drug

Shit-cago's tough gun laws don't work because folks who want guns just get them someplace else.
---Value Added Cool

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Biden is using a racial narrative to obscure the class character of police violence Einzige 10 3,248 04-25-2021, 10:26 AM
Last Post: David Horn
  The USA Today editorial board calls for Copmala Harris to oversee police reform Einzige 0 734 04-17-2021, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Einzige
  Cuomo Aides Rewrote Nursing Home Report to Hide Higher Death Toll girlmonday 0 660 03-06-2021, 04:02 AM
Last Post: girlmonday
  Ethics Report Finds Elaine Chao Used Trump Cabinet Post to Promote Family Interests girlmonday 0 708 03-04-2021, 10:22 PM
Last Post: girlmonday
  State Police will escape legislative scrutiny in 2021 budget process random3 0 658 02-17-2021, 09:55 PM
Last Post: random3
  Florida bill would increase police powers to use drones random3 0 585 02-12-2021, 04:59 AM
  Bill would allow police to check your phone after a car crash random3 3 961 01-28-2021, 06:37 PM
Last Post: elect21
  Report: US Government Chronically Lied About Trillion Dollar War In Afghanistan mayor2 13 4,474 01-25-2021, 09:15 PM
  So...the Mueller report gabrielle 2 1,696 03-28-2019, 08:11 AM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  A major democracy watchdog (Freedom House) just published a scathing report on Trump pbrower2a 1 1,812 02-05-2019, 09:36 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a