Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The best 4T songs
In the thread "the best songs ever" there have been some great 4T songs posted, but that thread doesn't focus exclusively on 4T songs. We definitely need a thread for that here, because 4T music is the future. Since we're currently in the 4T, the music of our current era should be represented here. Here is a place to post the best songs from 2008 onward.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again."
—Thomas Paine, Common Sense (1776)

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
—Mark Twain

'98 Millennial
I'll start by posting a currently popular song, "Can't Stop the Feeling!" by Justin Timberlake. This song is considered to be one of the "songs of the summer" for summer 2016.

—Mark Twain

'98 Millennial
I have never heard a JT song that I liked. If anything, he sounds more like the other Justin here. Maybe I like it OK, maybe... at least in some parts like "but just dance dance dance". Maybe he's improving; one can hope. But JT is definitely way over-rated. This song is in the same uplifting positive 4T tone as "Happy"

Good idea though! I didn't want to invade Rag's thread further when today's poppy stuff doesn't fit on a rock collection.

I only posted one 4T song per year on the best songs ever thread, and there have been some others I like. I think I mentioned this one:

The singer and writer on this (Rude by Magic) was also a writer/arranger on my fave, Pray by Justin Bieber, and several others of his songs. Marry that girl! Almost a billion views!
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
I think we had a thread like this one on the old forum, so I decided to create one just like it here.

—Mark Twain

'98 Millennial
(07-21-2016, 01:37 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: This song is in the same uplifting positive 4T tone as "Happy"

That's why I put it on there.

—Mark Twain

'98 Millennial
JB-Company

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Best version of the most popular One Direction song:

Alex Goot and friends. What Makes You Beautiful, from 2012; the best 4T year so far.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
We got lucky in pop, with Get Lucky by Daft Punk featuring Pharrell Williams

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Here's Halsey's most popular song, "New Americana":

—Mark Twain

'98 Millennial
The best song of the 4T, and by a considerable margin (2010-2011). I reprise my picks for 2011-2015 here, but then post another song or two by the same artists in my next posts.

2012: Owl City/Carly Rae Jepson, Good Time https://youtu.be/H7HmzwI67ec
2013: One Direction, Best Song Ever https://youtu.be/o_v9MY_FMcw
2014: Pharrell Williams, Happy https://youtu.be/y6Sxv-sUYtM
2015: Justin Bieber, What Do You Mean https://youtu.be/DK_0jXPuIr0

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
The Story of My Life is good, but I enjoy this rockin' goodie by 1D:

The cover by Alex Goot and Friends is my pick for "That's What Makes you Beautiful," great song posted above.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
AC/DC Rock or Bust World Tour 2015-201?

AC/DC from the 2T to now.  Awesome.

The young inheritors = Airbourne .  Man good shit from the Aussies.

---Value Added Cool
In honor of Michelle Obama, who tonight said, "when they go low, we go high," I offer you, once again, Justin Bieber!

Michelle's speech: https://youtu.be/AaKju-TrEmU

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Pharrell Williams, "Freedom"

V1
Hold on to me
Don't let me go
Who cares what they see?
Who cares what they know?
Your first name is Free
Last name is Dom
Cause you still believe in where we're from
Man's red flower
It's in every living thing
Mind use your power
Spirit use your wings

CHORUS
Freedom! x3
Freedom x3

V2
Hold on to me
Ooh don't let me go
The cheetahs need to eat
Run antelope
Your first name is King
Last name is Dom
Cause you still believe in everyone
When a baby first breathes
When night sees sunrise
When the whale hops the sea
When man recognizes

CHORUS
Freedom! x3
Freedom x2
Breathe in

V3
We are from heat
The Electric one
Does it shock you to see, he left us the sun?
The atoms in the air
Organisms in the sea
The Sun, and yes, man
Are made of the same things

Freedom! x3
Freedom x5

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
As I posted before, this version of the song Justin Bieber is "proudest of" is better than the recorded version from Believe, which was already at least #3 on my list of favorites by him.

It'll be OK if he goes bald, because he can always wear that baseball cap backwards and look as hip as ever Smile

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
My 5 favorite 4T songs thus far

Vanessa Carlton - White Houses (2004)
Natasha Bedingfield - These Words  (2005)
Taylor Swift  - Our Song (2008)
Colbie Caillat - Brighter Than The Sun  (2012)
Lorde - Royals (2013)

This assumes of course that the Crisis began on 9/11/01, which I still believe. If it turns out the Crisis began in September 2008 after all, as Neil Howe insists, the list would look much different. In that case, I'm not certain I have a Top 5... music having gone steeply downhill since then.
(07-27-2016, 11:15 PM)Roadbldr59 Wrote: My 5 favorite 4T songs thus far

Lorde - Royals (2013)

This assumes of course that the Crisis began on 9/11/01, which I still believe. If it turns out the Crisis began in September 2008 after all, as Neil Howe insists, the list would look much different. In that case, I'm not certain I have a Top 5... music having gone steeply downhill since then.

Music hasn't gone downhill—it has only turned into something different, something more upbeat and less dark than its 2T and 3T counterparts. As the turnings change, so does taste in music. Maybe you're too old to completely appreciate 4T music like Millennials do. Eric certainly appreciates it and he's a Boomer!

—Mark Twain

'98 Millennial

Lorde - Royals (2013)

(07-27-2016, 11:49 PM)MillsT_98 Wrote:

Lorde - Royals (2013)

Music hasn't gone downhill—it has only turned into something different, something more upbeat and less dark than its 2T and 3T counterparts. As the turnings change, so does taste in music. Maybe you're too old to completely appreciate 4T music like Millennials do. Eric certainly appreciates it and he's a Boomer!

Yes indeed. And I posted a much different list, as you know; one that started in 2011. There's many different kinds of music in each turning; there's certainly lots of bad pop music in all periods. But from the critics and listener-experts I have heard, the trend is clear, that pop/rock music was more upbeat in the 2T, went downbeat in the 3T, and is maybe even more upbeat again in the 4T, which indeed started in 2008 and only then. That's just in general; but I can see the change even in Xer artists like Pharrell, who went from cheap rappings to glorious happy, and Maroon 5 who went from moves like jagger to payphone and one more night with brilliant musicianship. As the Fifth Dimension sang, our lives are looking up, even from down inside our paper cup in the gutter. That's how Glenn Miller and Duke Ellington and Count Basie and Benny Goodman and Harold Arlen & Yip Harburg and Judy Garland and Richard Rodgers lifted us up, and that's what Bieber and Owl City and Carly Rae and One Direction and Nasri Atwah and Colbie and American Authors and others are doing now.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
It's not that I feel there is NO good music being made today. Love most of Taylor Swift's and much of Katy Perry's stuff. And Colbie is probably my favorite artist of the last 15 years... although she's overdue.

I should go on record as saying I'm not one of those Boomers who expects music to be "deep". But I do need a catchy melody, of the sort that can wake me out of a sound sleep and stay in my head all day. That, in my opinion, is what's missing from so much of music today. The last era with music as bland in that way was... the 1950s. The last 1T.

Given that the next 1T is possibly as little as 5 years away, we can expect more of the same for a long, long time... sadly.
(07-28-2016, 04:44 AM)Eric the Green Wrote:

Lorde - Royals (2013)

(07-27-2016, 11:49 PM)MillsT_98 Wrote:

Lorde - Royals (2013)

Yes indeed. And I posted a much different list, as you know; one that started in 2011. There's many different kinds of music in each turning; there's certainly lots of bad pop music in all periods. But from the critics and listener-experts I have heard, the trend is clear, that pop/rock music was more upbeat in the 2T, went downbeat in the 3T, and is maybe even more upbeat again in the 4T, which indeed started in 2008 and only then. That's just in general; but I can see the change even in Xer artists like Pharrell, who went from cheap rappings to glorious happy, and Maroon 5 who went from moves like jagger to payphone and one more night with brilliant musicianship. As the Fifth Dimension sang, our lives are looking up, even from down inside our paper cup in the gutter. That's how Glenn Miller and Duke Ellington and Count Basie and Benny Goodman and Harold Arlen & Yip Harburg and Judy Garland and Richard Rodgers lifted us up, and that's what Bieber and Owl City and Carly Rae and One Direction and Nasri Atwah and Colbie and American Authors and others are doing now.

t
The one Bieber song I really like is "Love Yourself. Nothing catchy about the melody in the slightest. But I can relate to being in love with a gal who's full of herself and thinks she can do just a WEE bit better... but wants to keep me around "just in case"... and how the only way out of it wth my dignity intact is to tell her maybe she should go fu** herself.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  the best songs ever: the lost years gabrielle 340 267,321 08-22-2021, 03:12 AM
Last Post: Eric the Green
  the best songs ever Eric the Green 642 396,212 06-25-2021, 11:58 AM
Last Post: Eric the Green