Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the best songs ever: the lost years
Here is a thread to cover the best songs of the 3T, which Eric seems to have completely skipped over in his thread, aside from a couple of New Age things.  Please  feel free to contribute, I'm sure I'll miss a lot of good stuff!  

Rather than going backwards in time, this thread will go from the beginning of the turning to the end.  I'm going to start a little earlier, though, since the early 80s really didn't get covered very well in Eric's thread.  So here we are, in the last years of the 2T--

1980:  

Video 

1981:

Here is another one from about that time.  When played on the radio it was a coin toss if it would be in German or English.

Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard. -- H.L. Mencken

If one rejects laissez faire on account of man's fallibility and moral weakness, one must for the same reason also reject every kind of government action.   -- Ludwig von Mises
Here is something that I rather liked at the time.  It both captured some of the mood at the time and yet was an escape from it.  While this is the original version it was a victim of what would later be called political correctness.

The GIs, of course, instantly recognized it and were somewhat surprised by its popularity.

Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard. -- H.L. Mencken

If one rejects laissez faire on account of man's fallibility and moral weakness, one must for the same reason also reject every kind of government action.   -- Ludwig von Mises
It may surprise some of you youngsters here but among Xers the Moody Blues were actually quite popular in the eighties.  There aren't many bands from the sixties that can say that.  Yes and the Stones come to mind.  It is a bit of a parody of what Xers experienced with the Boomers but parody often contains important truths.

I always preferred Wierd Al doing Madonna to Madonna herself but then I always had an odd sense of humor.

(06-17-2016, 01:50 AM)taramarie Wrote: and this kinky thing from '86. A very tappable early boomer (Rob Palmer)

I don't think you understand exactly how popular Wierd Al was back in the eighties. Wink

He even does a passable Robert Palmer.

(06-17-2016, 02:00 AM)taramarie Wrote:

Again, Weird Al does it better. Smile   Many of us, at the time, wondered what would happen to him if Michael Jackson ever went out of favor.

If I remember correctly this is where the Boy George androgynous look came from.  It was a good song.

(06-17-2016, 02:11 AM)taramarie Wrote:
(06-17-2016, 02:06 AM)Galen Wrote:

Again, Weird Al does it better. Smile   Many of us, at the time,  wondered what would happen to him if Michael Jackson ever went out of favor.

Hahahaha yes i wondered how long it would take before this one was posted in response hahahaha my mother showed me this one It is pretty damned awesome and hilarious! Tongue

(06-17-2016, 02:11 AM)Galen Wrote:
(06-17-2016, 02:11 AM)taramarie Wrote:
(06-17-2016, 02:06 AM)Galen Wrote:

Again, Weird Al does it better. Smile   Many of us, at the time,  wondered what would happen to him if Michael Jackson ever went out of favor.

Hahahaha yes i wondered how long it would take before this one was posted in response hahahaha my mother showed me this one It is pretty damned awesome and hilarious! Tongue

I had to do it.  By 1985 pop stars knew they had arrived when Weird Al did a parody.

(06-17-2016, 02:03 AM)taramarie Wrote:
(06-17-2016, 01:59 AM)Galen Wrote:
(06-17-2016, 01:50 AM)taramarie Wrote: and this kinky thing from '86. A very tappable early boomer (Rob Palmer)

I don't think you understand exactly how popular Wierd Al was back in the eighties. Wink

He even does a passable Robert Palmer.

Ahh but don't underestimate a millie with a boomer for a parent. Well aware of weird al. Mum talks about him all the time! Wink

Yes, but speaking as an Xer with Boomer parents they didn't always have much of a sense of humor.  You were most fortunate.

Here is something else that I liked from the eighties.  It is pretty typical of what we liked at the time.

(06-17-2016, 02:25 AM)taramarie Wrote: The mother and daughter duo (my mother and myself) absolutely love this song. She converted me to many of her songs. Tongue

Of course I first heard this with Mrs Doubtfire.

I remember it well.  Still hear it on the oldies stations to this day.

Here is another one of those bands with dudes sporting the androgynous look.  I don't think any of us really liked that look very much since almost nobody copied it but it was a good song.

I have posted this one before but not where we encountered because you see it was almost never played on the radio.  I am curious to see what you think of it.  This movie was very popular among Xers but I don't think a Millie will relate to it very well.

(06-17-2016, 02:38 AM)taramarie Wrote: 1988

If there was ever an archetype of the happy side of the eighties then this was it.

Here is another one that I really liked.  He did not last long.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The best 4T songs MillsT_98 67 68,357 02-15-2022, 01:36 AM
Last Post: JasonBlack
  the best songs ever Eric the Green 642 395,960 06-25-2021, 11:58 AM
Last Post: Eric the Green