Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The best 4T songs
My 5 favorite 4T songs thus far

Vanessa Carlton - White Houses (2004)
Natasha Bedingfield - These Words  (2005)
Taylor Swift  - Our Song (2008)
Colbie Caillat - Brighter Than The Sun  (2012)
Lorde - Royals (2013)

This assumes of course that the Crisis began on 9/11/01, which I still believe. If it turns out the Crisis began in September 2008 after all, as Neil Howe insists, the list would look much different. In that case, I'm not certain I have a Top 5... music having gone steeply downhill since then.
(07-27-2016, 11:15 PM)Roadbldr59 Wrote: My 5 favorite 4T songs thus far

Lorde - Royals (2013)

This assumes of course that the Crisis began on 9/11/01, which I still believe. If it turns out the Crisis began in September 2008 after all, as Neil Howe insists, the list would look much different. In that case, I'm not certain I have a Top 5... music having gone steeply downhill since then.

Music hasn't gone downhill—it has only turned into something different, something more upbeat and less dark than its 2T and 3T counterparts. As the turnings change, so does taste in music. Maybe you're too old to completely appreciate 4T music like Millennials do. Eric certainly appreciates it and he's a Boomer!
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again."
—Thomas Paine, Common Sense (1776)

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
—Mark Twain

'98 Millennial
(07-27-2016, 11:49 PM)MillsT_98 Wrote:

Lorde - Royals (2013)

Music hasn't gone downhill—it has only turned into something different, something more upbeat and less dark than its 2T and 3T counterparts. As the turnings change, so does taste in music. Maybe you're too old to completely appreciate 4T music like Millennials do. Eric certainly appreciates it and he's a Boomer!

Hahahahahha that burn! But actually both the 2T and 3T music BOTH had upbeat music as well as some dark music that is noticeably in among the 3T music. Eric can correct me if i am wrong but as an older millie i can easily say 3T had a LOT of upbeat music. It is what captured older millies attention. I have noticed a few upbeat treasures of late that give me hope more will come.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

Lorde - Royals (2013)

Lorde - Royals (2013)

Yes indeed. And I posted a much different list, as you know; one that started in 2011. There's many different kinds of music in each turning; there's certainly lots of bad pop music in all periods. But from the critics and listener-experts I have heard, the trend is clear, that pop/rock music was more upbeat in the 2T, went downbeat in the 3T, and is maybe even more upbeat again in the 4T, which indeed started in 2008 and only then. That's just in general; but I can see the change even in Xer artists like Pharrell, who went from cheap rappings to glorious happy, and Maroon 5 who went from moves like jagger to payphone and one more night with brilliant musicianship. As the Fifth Dimension sang, our lives are looking up, even from down inside our paper cup in the gutter. That's how Glenn Miller and Duke Ellington and Count Basie and Benny Goodman and Harold Arlen & Yip Harburg and Judy Garland and Richard Rodgers lifted us up, and that's what Bieber and Owl City and Carly Rae and One Direction and Nasri Atwah and Colbie and American Authors and others are doing now.

"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
It's not that I feel there is NO good music being made today. Love most of Taylor Swift's and much of Katy Perry's stuff. And Colbie is probably my favorite artist of the last 15 years... although she's overdue.

I should go on record as saying I'm not one of those Boomers who expects music to be "deep". But I do need a catchy melody, of the sort that can wake me out of a sound sleep and stay in my head all day. That, in my opinion, is what's missing from so much of music today. The last era with music as bland in that way was... the 1950s. The last 1T.

Given that the next 1T is possibly as little as 5 years away, we can expect more of the same for a long, long time... sadly.
Some of the stuff I have been hearing of late is becoming more upbeat and catchy. Not bland at all. But then again.....people have different tastes. Can't please em all. Here is a Broods song for you. Good ole kiwi millie music.

Released this year. Probably Americans have not heard of it.

1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

(07-28-2016, 04:44 AM)Eric the Green Wrote:

Lorde - Royals (2013)

Lorde - Royals (2013)

Yes indeed. And I posted a much different list, as you know; one that started in 2011. There's many different kinds of music in each turning; there's certainly lots of bad pop music in all periods. But from the critics and listener-experts I have heard, the trend is clear, that pop/rock music was more upbeat in the 2T, went downbeat in the 3T, and is maybe even more upbeat again in the 4T, which indeed started in 2008 and only then. That's just in general; but I can see the change even in Xer artists like Pharrell, who went from cheap rappings to glorious happy, and Maroon 5 who went from moves like jagger to payphone and one more night with brilliant musicianship. As the Fifth Dimension sang, our lives are looking up, even from down inside our paper cup in the gutter. That's how Glenn Miller and Duke Ellington and Count Basie and Benny Goodman and Harold Arlen & Yip Harburg and Judy Garland and Richard Rodgers lifted us up, and that's what Bieber and Owl City and Carly Rae and One Direction and Nasri Atwah and Colbie and American Authors and others are doing now.

t
The one Bieber song I really like is "Love Yourself. Nothing catchy about the melody in the slightest. But I can relate to being in love with a gal who's full of herself and thinks she can do just a WEE bit better... but wants to keep me around "just in case"... and how the only way out of it wth my dignity intact is to tell her maybe she should go fu** herself.
From Greece:

---Value Added Cool
Rock and pop may be separating now. Your rockin thru the 4T thread might be best for you, and worth watching for us, and maybe you could go there, and I will keep my Bieber and Owl City and 1D and "Happy" stuff and whatever else here, where you have no interest, and not in the rock thread; and others can post their pop 4T favorites here, and their 4T rock favorites there. I think the rockin thru the 4T thread needs you to keep it going.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(07-29-2016, 01:10 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: Rock and pop may be separating now. Your rockin thru the 4T thread might be best for you, and worth watching for us, and maybe you could go there, and I will keep my Bieber and Owl City and 1D and "Happy" stuff and whatever else here, where you have no interest, and not in the rock thread; and others can post their pop 4T favorites here, and their 4T rock favorites there. I think the rockin thru the 4T thread needs you to keep it going.

I noticed how how some former 3T bands, who were formerly some kind of rock, became more "pop" like, which makes me think that many bands are evolving towards pop music.

—Mark Twain

'98 Millennial
I really like twenty one pilots—their weird style that doesn't really fit into any particular genre (mostly pop though)—makes it a band I can really appreciate. Although their lyrics might be a little deep and dark for this thread, but given their style (and how recent they are), I think twenty one pilots is a good fit for this thread.

—Mark Twain

'98 Millennial
(07-29-2016, 06:33 PM)MillsT_98 Wrote: I really like twenty one pilots—their weird style that doesn't really fit into any particular genre (mostly pop though)—makes it a band I can really appreciate. Although their lyrics might be a little deep and dark for this thread, but given their style (and how recent they are), I think twenty one pilots is a good fit for this thread.

Well the songs do not al have to be light hearted upbeat and happy just because Eric mentioned so. This thread should explore all that the 4T has explored thus far. It is a thread for 4T songs. Some of it will delight and some will disgust obviously. (waves to Eric) But music is not designed to make everyone happy. As long as it is 4T it should be in this thread as that is what it is for.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

(07-29-2016, 06:47 PM)The taramarie Wrote:
(07-29-2016, 06:33 PM)MillsT_98 Wrote: I really like twenty one pilots—their weird style that doesn't really fit into any particular genre (mostly pop though)—makes it a band I can really appreciate. Although their lyrics might be a little deep and dark for this thread, but given their style (and how recent they are), I think twenty one pilots is a good fit for this thread.

Well the songs do not al have to be light hearted upbeat and happy just because Eric mentioned so. This thread should explore all that the 4T has explored thus far. It is a thread for 4T songs. Some of it will delight and some will disgust obviously. (waves to Eric) But music is not designed to make everyone happy. As long as it is 4T it should be in this thread as that is what it is for.

Keep in mind that I created this thread but Eric was the one who suggested they be upbeat and light-hearted. I would suggest that songs in this thread be pop music. That's what I've kept in this thread. No they do not all have to be happy—a lot of it isn't—but a lot of pop music today is and I would like to include that as well.

—Mark Twain

'98 Millennial
(07-29-2016, 09:33 PM)MillsT_98 Wrote:
(07-29-2016, 06:47 PM)The taramarie Wrote:

Keep in mind that I created this thread but Eric was the one who suggested they be upbeat and light-hearted. I would suggest that songs in this thread be pop music. That's what I've kept in this thread. No they do not all have to be happy—a lot of it isn't—but a lot of pop music today is and I would like to include that as well.
You just said what i said....
You do not have to follow what he says for your own thread. I also said it should explore all that the 4T has explored thus far. I will highlight what i posted so you have proof. Scroll above for this. It is a 4T music thread and so it would contain a mix. If it is for pop music it should state that. 4T pop music. But it doesn't.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

(07-29-2016, 09:45 PM)taramarie Wrote:
(07-29-2016, 09:33 PM)MillsT_98 Wrote:
(07-29-2016, 06:47 PM)The taramarie Wrote:

You just said what i said....
You do not have to follow what he says for your own thread. I also said it should explore all that the 4T has explored thus far. I will highlight what i posted so you have proof. Scroll above for this. It is a 4T music thread and so it would contain a mix. If it is for pop music it should state that. 4T pop music. But it doesn't.

I guess I created this thread without really knowing what it was for! I didn't say specifically it had to be pop music but I kind of implied it. That's just what I have in mind when I think of "4T music".

—Mark Twain

'98 Millennial
Taramarie, as usual, "you've been thinking too much."

I'm neutral on that song; we'll see what else they do.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(07-30-2016, 12:13 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: Taramarie, as usual, "you've been thinking too much."

I'm neutral on that song; we'll see what else they do.

Eric, I said absolutely nothing about your thoughts on a song. I was mentioning about the title to this thread. It says absolutely nothing about what genre this thread is supposed to favour. I do not know where you got the idea this was about a song (whether you like it or not). If that song was a 4T song it has every right to be over here. If this thread is supposed to be only for pop it should say so in the title.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

Well done by an up and coming young artist. One of the best songs of 2012.

Nice one from 2014
https://youtu.be/IXCSnYhwiwg

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Here is Taylor Swift's "Shake It Off", the lead single from her newest album 1989 and the first single she released after she "officially went pop". A lot of the music from that album emulates her birthyear, so it might have some 80s vibe to it. It's a pretty upbeat song reminding people to forget about the haters and not to let people criticize you. This is one of Taylor Swift's biggest hits, reaching number-one on the Billboard Hot 100 for four weeks in 2014.

—Mark Twain

'98 Millennial
(08-02-2016, 11:18 PM)MillsT_98 Wrote: Here is Taylor Swift's "Shake It Off", the lead single from her newest album 1989 and the first single she released after she "officially went pop". A lot of the music from that album emulates her birthyear, so it might have some 80s vibe to it. It's a pretty upbeat song reminding people to forget about the haters and not to let people criticize you. This is one of Taylor Swift's biggest hits, reaching number-one on the Billboard Hot 100 for four weeks in 2014.

I'd say. 1,570,000,000 views.

Let's see the actual video.....

Good advice for Taramarie.

And me.

Meanwhile, it appears Taylor has "shaken off" her country roots.

I can't say for sure if it's any better than the pop hits Taramarie likes from the 90s.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  the best songs ever Eric the Green 773 138,973 06-10-2019, 01:25 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green
  the best songs ever: the lost years gabrielle 478 98,529 05-17-2019, 11:21 PM
Last Post: taramarie