Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
The Partisan Divide on Issues
(05-20-2020, 10:21 PM)Kinser79 Wrote:
(05-19-2020, 10:13 PM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote:
(05-19-2020, 09:01 PM)Kinser79 Wrote: Lets see:  Small government....Reduced taxes....military preparedness.  Sounds like "Reaganism" is just good ole fashioned "Americanism".  Now if we could get that with side of isolationism and a sprinkle of autarky mixed in that would be prefect.  

All that said I'm going to be mining liberal salt come November 3rd I'm sure.

Actually, isolationism used to mean demilitarizing after every conflict.  A minimum skeleton military.  This was part of why crisis wars took typically four years or so.  We had to rebuild our military virtually from scratch, and relearn the business of war.  There was a scramble to rearm as conflicts like the Civil War and World War II came up.  Peacetime preparedness and the world's policeman role really started after World War II.

Of course abandoning preparedness now would be abandoning the field to the autocracies.  And dictators always were un American until recently.  Not surprising that you would endorse that, though.  You always have supported the elites over the people.

Someone will be mining salt, certainly.  I think with the polls favoring those supporting a more scientific response to the virus, it will become clear pretty early who that will be.

Remember the polls said Hillary would be President too.  

I personally don't care what this or that poll says outside of it being aggregated which I typically have to do myself anyway, since the legacy media can't be trusted to do it.

I find it amusing that the boomers here seem to be clueless as to what I mean by mining salt.

President Trump needs miracles to win re-election. A few things are different. 

First, he has a record as President. That could be used against him. Polls of approval look very bad for him. 

Sure, you can always deliver the bromide "the only poll that counts is the one on Election Day". The problem is that the decisions that most people have on whether to vote for or against someone are made earlier upon a summation of deeds and statements. 

Second, in a close election, how a state votes may be a matter of chance according to most models. So let us suppose that the seven closest states in November are 
Florida (29)
Pennsylvania (20)
Michigan (16)
North Carolina (15)
Arizona (11)
Wisconsin (10)

and each has a 50% chance of going either way. Trump needs four; Biden needs three. 

 Biden has 99 chances of winning and Trump has 64. Chances for a Biden win are about 60.7%; chances for a Trump win are  39.3%. 

Guess what? Everybody has a chance to be right and to be wrong.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.


Reply
(05-19-2020, 10:29 AM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: Not clear that everyone is tired of Reaganism.  Part of the country keeps voting to go back to small government, reduced taxes and military preparedness.  Bush 43 was a Bush after all.  But you have to vote in someone responsible once in a while.

When the Wal Street Journal declares that "the era of big government is back", it's hard to ignore that as a partisan swipe. Yes, there are many steadfast individualists who argue for self reliance and the end to government control, but they are also right there to get theirs in bad times. These are about as bad as I care to see.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
Reply
(05-19-2020, 09:01 PM)Kinser79 Wrote: Lets see:  Small government....Reduced taxes....military preparedness.  Sounds like "Reaganism" is just good ole fashioned "Americanism".  Now if we could get that with side of isolationism and a sprinkle of autarky mixed in that would be prefect.  

All that said I'm going to be mining liberal salt come November 3rd I'm sure.

You are part of a tribe, and believe as your tribe believes.  OK, I can see that … up to a point.  One problem, though.  What you describe has been a central fixture of the American experience since the beginning, and has quite likely run its course.  You're young enough to possibly see that reverse yet again, but Reaganism, and its European variants, is done for now.  We live in a cyclic world, you know.  Big Grin

Light reading: Ted Anthony of the Associated Press gave this a thorough once-over. It's not definitive, but it is informative.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
Reply
(05-20-2020, 10:21 PM)Kinser79 Wrote: I find it amusing that the boomers here seem to be clueless as to what I mean by mining salt.

No, they're yanking your chain. I guess you missed it.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
Reply
(05-20-2020, 10:21 PM)Kinser79 Wrote: I find it amusing that the boomers here seem to be clueless as to what I mean by mining salt.

Ah, yes -- the salt mines. Until modern times, most miners were slaves. Mining then as now was unpleasant, dangerous, often life-shortening work. 

Consider that South Africa largely used "Bantu" workers to mine diamonds -- and that thug insurgencies in parts of Africa use captives to mine "b;lood diamonds". Consider that Commie regimes often used political prisoners to mine uranium. Coal miners in Japanese-occupied Manchuria were slaves for all practical purposes. 

Although salt isn't a particularly dangerous substance unless in solution... OK... a salt mine was a terrible place if one was thirsty, and salt as dust was everywhere. Salt mines used to be one place for consigning political and religious offenders. The royal salt mines -- profits for the King, death for the workers.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.


Reply
CNN reports that the World Health Organization and Europe are not buying into Tumps propaganda war with China.  There is a general feeling that the US has stepped away from Europe's concerns in the last few administrations, and may have trouble reconnecting in the future.
Reply
As usual, Trump is more adept at finding scapegoats than at finding solutions. It seems to be getting worse. I doubt that the pattern will ever end. It will no longer matter once the President is no longer President.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.


Reply


Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Will a nationalist/cosmopolitan divide be the political axis of the coming saeculum? Einzige 81 24,100 03-21-2020, 05:14 AM
Last Post: Blazkovitz
  The Supreme Court Will Examine Partisan Gerrymandering in 2017 gabrielle 4 1,576 04-11-2017, 12:15 AM
Last Post: Kinser79

Forum Jump:


Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)