Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2020 Redistricting
For those with Right leaning views, ignore this thread - it's really really boring and  2020 is too far away to be of any care.

For everyone else, not too soon to be thinking about this.

A fantastic place to start is with the recent analysis done by Stephen Wolf -

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016/8/2...le-in-2020

A good look at state elections coming up that Dems need to pour money into over the next couple election cycles to build a foundation for 2020.

My favorite map/analysis is those states where the ballot initiative could be used to set up independent commissions like what was done in California and Arizona -

[Image: Ballot_Initiative_States_zpsp0bx8lki.png]

The synergy of getting a more true representation of districts in the swing states of OH and FL could provide enough Party infrastructure in both these states to put them solidly behind the Blue Wall for both Presidential and Senate seat elections.  For the other states, even if they remain in the Red, there would likely still be district pickups for the Dems with a non-partisan commission determinations.

Getting Clinton in the WH in 2016 to change the SCOTUS is huge in the effort, but there is much more that can be done to undo the 2010 gerrymandering that is keeping the GOP holding on as a national political force.

Comments welcome from those on the Left (those on the Right can go about their business of offering support/apologies for The Donald.
Michigan -- have districts that connect medium-sized cities (Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids, Battle Creek, Lansing, East Lansing) instead of diluting them with rural areas as the Michigan Snake Legislature did in 2011.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(08-02-2016, 02:07 PM)playwrite Wrote: For those with Right leaning views, ignore this thread - it's really really boring and  2020 is too far away to be of any care.

For everyone else, not too soon to be thinking about this.

A fantastic place to start is with the recent analysis done by Stephen Wolf -

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016/8/2...le-in-2020

A good look at state elections coming up that Dems need to pour money into over the next couple election cycles to build a foundation for 2020.

My favorite map/analysis is those states where the ballot initiative could be used to set up independent commissions like what was done in California and Arizona -

[Image: Ballot_Initiative_States_zpsp0bx8lki.png]

The synergy of getting a more true representation of districts in the swing states of OH and FL could provide enough Party infrastructure in both these states to put them solidly behind the Blue Wall for both Presidential and Senate seat elections.  For the other states, even if they remain in the Red, there would likely still be district pickups for the Dems with a non-partisan commission determinations.

Getting Clinton in the WH in 2016 to change the SCOTUS is huge in the effort, but there is much more that can be done to undo the 2010 gerrymandering that is keeping the GOP holding on as a national political force.

Comments welcome from those on the Left (those on the Right can go about their business of offering support/apologies for The Donald).

Exactly. We need to get on with this. And maybe in a few blue state legislatures too, if we're lucky.

And I think many moderates and independents would favor the idea of voters choosing their politicians, instead of politicians choosing their voters. Politicians engineering their own re-election, is not exactly democracy-- if that's what Americans want.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Here are my state's congressional districts from 2003-2013:

[Image: lossless-page1-765px-United_States_Congr...13.tif.png]

Here are my state's congressional districts since 2013:

[Image: lossless-page1-765px-United_States_Congr...13.tif.png]

I hate how gerrymandering has affected my state. With the new gerrymandered districts it guarantees the Republicans a majority in the House (at least in Wisconsin).
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again."
—Thomas Paine, Common Sense (1776)

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes."
—Mark Twain

'98 Millennial
Check the 35th in Texas that squeezes all the Hispanics in two different cities into one district -

[Image: Redistricting_20120229_interimCD35map.jpg]
You can take FL off your list since we already redistrict in a nonpartisan fashion and have since 2010 due to constitutional amendment (state constitution) pushed through by the GOP of all groups. Of course then again FL is a purple state that remains purple only due to the I-4 corridor and that is turning red.
It really is all mathematics.

Turn on to Daddy, Tune in to Nationalism, Drop out of UN/NATO/WTO/TPP/NAFTA/CAFTA Globalism.
(08-03-2016, 08:09 PM)playwrite Wrote: Check the 35th in Texas that squeezes all the Hispanics in two different cities into one district -

Amazing. And amazing furthermore that we put up with this.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Only Ohio and Michigan would really be relevant, of the states shown in red on OP's map.
"These, and many other matters which might be noticed, add a volume of unofficial declarations to the mass of organic utterances that this is a Christian nation" - Justice David Brewer, Church of the Holy Trinity v. United States, 1892
For those that are interested, here is a little survey I found being used to bring the redistricting process to a ballot initiative. If we can get enough signatures, we might be able to move to an independent commission rather than have a political party plan district lines in the state of Michigan. 

Its real quick, only two questions, and the only thing you need is a Michigan address. Let's get an independent commission!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQ...w/viewform
Thank you. I just signed up.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Great. I hope the voters of Michigan (unlike those in Ohio) realize the value of the people choosing their representatives, rather than the other way around.

We need the next 12 years to be a reform wave like the progressive era.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(08-03-2016, 11:32 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(08-03-2016, 08:09 PM)playwrite Wrote: Check the 35th in Texas that squeezes all the Hispanics in two different cities into one district -

Amazing. And amazing furthermore that we put up with this.

Sometimes districts like that are actually required by the voting rights act, to create "majority minority" districts.
Not districts like this. Gerrymandering lumps people of color and those with Democratic voting records as much as possible in one district. A voting rights act requirement is not to lump people together so tightly in one district, but just to have a majority there. Before the voting rights act, "minorities" were gerrymandered out of any representation.

The non-partisan commission in CA created districts that are relatively homogeneous with common interests and geographically connected, rather than favoring a partisan stance or an incumbent's party.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Michigan plot, October 2020 pbrower2a 51 13,093 12-28-2022, 05:25 AM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Election Night 2020 thread pbrower2a 80 20,152 10-14-2021, 01:01 AM
  Election 2020 Eric the Green 57 35,406 05-26-2021, 11:37 PM
  Election 2020 pbrower2a 1,249 287,286 02-12-2021, 02:34 PM