Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Survivor": Millennials vs. Gen X
(09-21-2016, 07:00 AM)Odin Wrote:
(09-20-2016, 12:27 PM)Galen Wrote: Not really.  On the whole they tended to be non-entities that took the easy path which usually involved doing what the Boomers wanted given the demographics.  Silents tended to be obsessed with process.

Your commitment to rationalizing your Boomer-hating fantasies with nonsensical statements like this on trivializing the Silents and their role in the 2T is sad.

They deserve to be shit on given their idiocy.  You also missed about a decade and a half of watching them study everything to death without doing anything.  This is where the stereotype of the politician paralyzed by indecision comes from.
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard. -- H.L. Mencken

If one rejects laissez faire on account of man's fallibility and moral weakness, one must for the same reason also reject every kind of government action.   -- Ludwig von Mises
(09-21-2016, 07:02 AM)Odin Wrote:
(09-20-2016, 05:11 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote: How does a thread start out on the topic of Survivor and end up in a debate about Woodstock?

it got hijacked by the usual Gen-Xers who never miss an opportunity to shit on Boomers.

I do worry about him sometimes. Constant hate makes one very ill. Not a healthy mindset. Nor a productive one. Which is a big reason why I do not intend to do the same. But rather focus on the here and now and the future. Blaming a whole generation for this and that is the most unproductive and destructive (as he does blame them for their destructive tendencies), thing I can think of. It divides yet has no solution.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

(09-21-2016, 01:03 PM)Galen Wrote:
(09-20-2016, 12:27 PM)Galen Wrote: Not really.  On the whole they tended to be non-entities that took the easy path which usually involved doing what the Boomers wanted given the demographics.  Silents tended to be obsessed with process.

Your commitment to rationalizing your Boomer-hating fantasies with nonsensical statements like this on trivializing the Silents and their role in the 2T is sad.

They deserve to be shit on given their idiocy.  You also missed about a decade and a half of watching them study everything to death without doing anything.  This is where the stereotype of the politician paralyzed by indecision comes from.

All generations are bad except yours, Galen. All except the one that S&H themselves labelled "bad" at least in youth. The generation called "reactive" (which is almost a term of insult).
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(09-21-2016, 02:31 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:

All generations are bad except yours, Galen. All except the one that S&H themselves labelled "bad" at least in youth. The generation called "reactive" (which is almost a term of insult).
Well that is a surprise given your past comments on their culture. But a nice change. Except I would say all have their positives and negatives.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

Nothing too surprising in the first episode. Those kids don't look like they could survive a night in their backyard, much less a tropical storm on Fiji.................
Knowledge doesn't equal Understanding, and the Truth is the Truth no matter what you think of it.
(09-21-2016, 09:09 PM)Bronsin Wrote: Nothing too surprising in the first episode. Those kids don't look like they could survive a night in their backyard, much less a tropical storm on Fiji.................

wait and see before making judgements...........................
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

(09-20-2016, 01:01 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(09-20-2016, 10:47 AM)The Wonkette Wrote: Weren't the Seventies dominated by the Silents?

Yes they were, in so far as the people in middle age dominate a turning.

So then, the Boomers dominated the "greed is good" Eighties and the "unravelling" of economic policies that protected the middle class and working poor in the 3T?  Who is really the "pecuniary" generation, then?
(09-21-2016, 02:38 PM)taramarie Wrote:

Well that is a surprise given your past comments on their culture. But a nice change. Except I would say all have their positives and negatives.

I suspect Eric is being sarcastic.
(09-21-2016, 09:39 PM)gabrielle Wrote:
(09-20-2016, 10:47 AM)The Wonkette Wrote: Weren't the Seventies dominated by the Silents?

So then, the Boomers dominated the "greed is good" Eighties and the "unravelling" of economic policies that protected the middle class and working poor in the 3T?  Who is really the "pecuniary" generation, then?

It can get really complicated trying to blame one generation for things that three or four generations did, can't it?

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(09-21-2016, 09:09 PM)Bronsin Wrote: Nothing too surprising in the first episode. Those kids don't look like they could survive a night in their backyard, much less a tropical storm on Fiji.................

Neither Generation tribe seemed especially impressive. Especially the Gen X group. It is after all a game between 20 particular people, not really whole generations. In a physical as well as mental and social game, youth has the advantage. The Gen Xers needed to be more fit and smart than average to beat the young bucks. But they did not seem like an impressive group at all to me. Usually the older players who do well are a lot more fit than these 10 players, and more attractive and deft socially too. One of them even went on and on about how he would probably be voted out. I guess a bit of Gen X pessimism. So the Millennials won the challenge, and an Xer girl went home. I suspect that will mostly continue.

What was impressive is that Survivor mostly got the dates right, from an S&H point of view. The Xers birthdays didn't start in 1965, the demographic start year, but 1963, and extended well beyond the usual 1977 date to 1982, which S&H consider the first millennial year. The Millennials date from 1984 to 1997; the youngest player was still in high school. Maybe Probst and Company have read The Fourth Turning or Generations.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(09-21-2016, 09:48 PM)gabrielle Wrote:
(09-21-2016, 02:38 PM)taramarie Wrote:
(09-21-2016, 07:00 AM)Odin Wrote: Your commitment to rationalizing your Boomer-hating fantasies with nonsensical statements like this on trivializing the Silents and their role in the 2T is sad.

I suspect Eric is being sarcastic.
I am giving him a chance but yes I suspect that he is.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

Eric The Green Wrote:Neither Generation tribe seemed especially impressive. Especially the Gen X group. It is after all a game between 20 particular people, not really whole generations. In a physical as well as mental and social game, youth has the advantage.

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill.   Just wait until the night of the long knives, man. Big Grin

Quote:The Gen Xers needed to be more fit and smart than average to beat the young bucks. But they did not seem like an impressive group at all to me. Usually the older players who do well are a lot more fit than these 10 players, and more attractive and deft socially too. One of them even went on and on about how he would probably be voted out. I guess a bit of Gen X pessimism. So the Millennials won the challenge, and an Xer girl went home. I suspect that will mostly continue.

I don't have Teevee, so I don't know what any of them look like. Again, past performance doesn't guarantee future results. That show must be like the stawk market. *Hmmmm.... Probst needs to open up a gambling side business.  Take bets on who wins, who gets voted off first, some horse race things like trifectas, etc. Cool

Quote:What was impressive is that Survivor mostly got the dates right, from an S&H point of view. The Xers birthdays didn't start in 1965, the demographic start year, but 1963, and extended well beyond the usual 1977 date to 1982, which S&H consider the first millennial year. The Millennials date from 1984 to 1997; the youngest player was still in high school. Maybe Probst and Company have read The Fourth Turning or Generations.

Close enough for government work or cuspie stuffs.

*Rags the visionary pecuniary : Even Boomer Trump hasn't come up with a betting parlor featuring Survivor, man. Big Grin
I should crowdfund this thing , it will be Yuuuuggeee.

They Survivor contestants did it for the money. Cool
---Value Added Cool
(09-21-2016, 11:29 AM)X_4AD_84 Wrote:
(09-21-2016, 07:02 AM)Odin Wrote:
(09-20-2016, 05:11 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote: How does a thread start out on the topic of Survivor and end up in a debate about Woodstock?

it got hijacked by the usual Gen-Xers who never miss an opportunity to shit on Boomers.

Sad thing about it is, it's typically the Red Xers who behave thus. They don't realize they are just being puppets of the Red Boomers who have dominated the Faux "Right" attack dog industry since the 1980s. I know this well, as I used to be one of them. Now I am free. Who do I thank for helping me to become free? The Millennials.

The extreme anti-government attitudes of people like Galen are an outgrowth of the very Awakening they claim to despise. It's hypocrisy of the highest order.
#MakeTheDemocratsGreatAgain
(09-22-2016, 12:47 AM)Eric the Green Wrote:

It can get really complicated trying to blame one generation for things that three or four generations did, can't it?

It is as ridiculous for Galen to scapegoat an entire generation for all the ills of the world as it is for a Baby Boomer to call Generation X "pecuniary," when Gen X, of all current generations, has the most financial stress and Baby Boomers are the richest generation in US history.
(09-22-2016, 09:47 PM)gabrielle Wrote:
(09-22-2016, 12:47 AM)Eric the Green Wrote:

It is as ridiculous for Galen to scapegoat an entire generation for all the ills of the world as it is for a Baby Boomer to call Generation X "pecuniary," when Gen X, of all current generations, has the most financial stress and Baby Boomers are the richest generation in US history.
Exactly. I distrust smears as it ignores other factors that played into the current "ills of the world." That is partly why I do not like smears applied to all. But he did finally say not all boomers are like what he has stated about boomers after I chatted to him. So that is something. Many generations played their part in how things are to this day. Good and the bad.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

(09-22-2016, 01:49 AM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote:
Eric The Green Wrote:Neither Generation tribe seemed especially impressive. Especially the Gen X group. It is after all a game between 20 particular people, not really whole generations. In a physical as well as mental and social game, youth has the advantage.

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill.   Just wait until the night of the long knives, man. Big Grin

Well, for the first immunity challenge, the Millennials won and the Xers had to vote someone off the island. Wink
Quite right.  My wife and I are rooting for GenX because as she says, we always root for the old people, cuz we are old.  Twenty years ago we made fun of Xers with their line shows*

*line show originally referred to "Space Above and Beyond" which we called "Slackers in Space".  In their promos they would show a bunch of slackers all walking abreast in a line.  We saw this motiff in promos for "Friends" and other shows directed towards Gen X which showed groups of twentysomethings walking abreast.
(09-23-2016, 11:45 AM)The Wonkette Wrote:
(09-22-2016, 01:49 AM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote:
Eric The Green Wrote:Neither Generation tribe seemed especially impressive. Especially the Gen X group. It is after all a game between 20 particular people, not really whole generations. In a physical as well as mental and social game, youth has the advantage.

Well, for the first immunity challenge, the Millennials won and the Xers had to vote someone off the island.  Wink

I take it someone is cheering for the millennials?
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

Eric The Green Wrote:Well, for the first immunity challenge, the Millennials won and the Xers had to vote someone off the island.  Wink

Past performance does not guarantee future results, man.  Cool
---Value Added Cool
(09-23-2016, 03:31 PM)taramarie Wrote:
(09-23-2016, 11:45 AM)The Wonkette Wrote: Well, for the first immunity challenge, the Millennials won and the Xers had to vote someone off the island.  Wink

I take it someone is cheering for the millennials?

My emoji was supposed to be a wink, not a smiley face. Since the Tribes, as constituted, will only last a few weeks of viewing, I tend to root for the people. Right now, I like Hannah and Zeke in the Millennial Tribe and have to figure out who I like in the Gen Xers.