Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Survivor": Millennials vs. Gen X
(09-24-2016, 02:16 PM)The Wonkette Wrote:
(09-23-2016, 03:31 PM)taramarie Wrote:
(09-23-2016, 11:45 AM)The Wonkette Wrote: Well, for the first immunity challenge, the Millennials won and the Xers had to vote someone off the island.  Wink

I take it someone is cheering for the millennials?

My emoji was supposed to be a wink, not a smiley face.  Since the Tribes, as constituted, will only last a few weeks of viewing, I tend to root for the people.  Right now, I like Hannah and Zeke in the Millennial Tribe and have to figure out who I like in the Gen Xers.

yeah that is partly why i do not like the show. The groups do not stay together.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

The Gen Xers should have gotten rid of that milquetoast David. He would be an embarrassment for any generation. He has no business out there. What's the over/under on how many of the millennials still live in their parent's basement?
Knowledge doesn't equal Understanding, and the Truth is the Truth no matter what you think of it.
(09-27-2016, 06:49 PM)Bronsin Wrote: The Gen Xers should have gotten rid of that milquetoast David. He would be an embarrassment for any generation. He has no business out there. What's the over/under on how many of the millennials still live in their parent's basement?

Want to bet they are keeping him around as a useful sacrifice later?  It seems likely that they got rid of a bigger current threat and there is the possibility of aiming him at someone else to bring them down.
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard. -- H.L. Mencken

If one rejects laissez faire on account of man's fallibility and moral weakness, one must for the same reason also reject every kind of government action.   -- Ludwig von Mises
(09-27-2016, 11:39 PM)Galen Wrote: Want to bet they are keeping him around as a useful sacrifice later?  It seems likely that they got rid of a bigger current threat and there is the possibility of aiming him at someone else to bring them down.

It's hard to say, although all of the men did stick together with their vote. Unlike the GenX women, who in typical fashion, all turned on each other
Knowledge doesn't equal Understanding, and the Truth is the Truth no matter what you think of it.
Sounds like a really stupid show.
(09-28-2016, 06:05 PM)gabrielle Wrote: Sounds like a really stupid show.

It is disgustingly unpleasant as survivor show is typically and it is a reality show so it is dripping in stupid. I am sick of the divisive culture overseas.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

(09-28-2016, 06:14 PM)taramarie Wrote:

It is disgustingly unpleasant as survivor show is typically and it is a reality show so it is dripping in stupid. I am sick of the divisive culture overseas.

I don't watch it myself but I know how Xers tend to think.  The Xer men probably already have plan and they are carrying it out.  Don't expect them to say anything about it.
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard. -- H.L. Mencken

If one rejects laissez faire on account of man's fallibility and moral weakness, one must for the same reason also reject every kind of government action.   -- Ludwig von Mises
(09-29-2016, 01:50 AM)Galen Wrote:

I don't watch it myself but I know how Xers tend to think.  The Xer men probably already have plan and they are carrying it out.  Don't expect them to say anything about it.

then they will eventually turn on each other which is what sickens me. Ultimate back stab show. smh
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

(09-29-2016, 01:50 AM)Galen Wrote:

makes one of us. i am still trying to figure them out.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

I was surprised at just how badly the millennials performed in the immunity challenge because it was totally physical. Especially when david struggled so bad swimming, and CeCe didn't come back up with a ring.
(09-29-2016, 09:57 PM)Bronsin Wrote: I was surprised at just how badly the millennials performed in the immunity challenge because it was totally physical. Especially when david struggled so bad swimming, and CeCe didn't come back up with a ring.

I am surprised you are not aware that my generation is not as active as earlier generations have been in the past. Goes back to how we were raised and what technology was available which we used. We are unhealthier on average compared to earlier generations. Fatter too.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

Oh I'm aware of it. I'm also aware of just how much weaker you are at 50 than at 25. If those kids can't beat a 50yr old man that just had a mild heart attack the day before then they might as well pack it in because this game is gonna get much harder than that.

There was always one fat kid in every grade that usually got picked on quite a bit. Went to my son's graduation a few years ago, and I couldn't figure out who the fat kid was, because there were so many fat kids running around. There is no excuse for an obese 3rd grader.
(09-30-2016, 05:44 AM)Bronsin Wrote: Oh I'm aware of it. I'm also aware of just how much weaker you are at 50 than at 25. If those kids can't beat a 50yr old man that just had a mild heart attack the day before then they might as well pack it in because this game is gonna get much harder than that.

There was always one fat kid in every grade that usually got picked on quite a bit. Went to my son's graduation a few years ago, and I couldn't figure out who the fat kid was, because there were so many fat kids running around. There is no excuse for an obese 3rd grader.

A 25 year old is not a "kid," but I would not call the shots before this idiot show is finished. Wiser to keep mouth shut in case you look stupid later on. Not directing this to anyone in particular. It is just something I have learned from observing people get smart thinking their team will win (sports or elections) then are shamed later on and look rather stupid.

Insecure people pick on obese people so they have their own weakness and would rather draw attention to someone else rather than deal with their own issues. I have no respect for that kind of human. However blame the parents for feeding the child that sort of food or fluid or in some cases some medical condition which a few may have. Certainly not all however. They also should encourage them to be more active as well as school getting them up and moving too. My school did with sports and school races and marathons.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

(09-27-2016, 06:49 PM)Bronsin Wrote: What's the over/under on how many of the millennials still live in their parent's basement?

You know that this is because of economic reasons and not laziness or immaturity, right? Rolleyes
#MakeTheDemocratsGreatAgain

It's the original "Reality" show, and I refuse to watch it, it's vapid crap.
(09-30-2016, 05:44 AM)Bronsin Wrote: Oh I'm aware of it. I'm also aware of just how much weaker you are at 50 than at 25. If those kids can't beat a 50yr old man that just had a mild heart attack the day before then they might as well pack it in because this game is gonna get much harder than that.

This was still true in the 90s, There were 25-ish kids in my grade and while a few (myself included) were definitely chubby none were obviously obese. My own weight issues started in high school when I fucked up my right ankle in a football game and could not be as active as I used to be.
(09-22-2016, 09:47 PM)gabrielle Wrote:
(09-22-2016, 12:47 AM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(09-21-2016, 09:39 PM)gabrielle Wrote:
(09-20-2016, 01:01 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(09-20-2016, 10:47 AM)The Wonkette Wrote: Weren't the Seventies dominated by the Silents?

Yes they were, in so far as the people in middle age dominate a turning.

So then, the Boomers dominated the "greed is good" Eighties and the "unravelling" of economic policies that protected the middle class and working poor in the 3T?  Who is really the "pecuniary" generation, then?

It can get really complicated trying to blame one generation for things that three or four generations did, can't it?

It is as ridiculous for Galen to scapegoat an entire generation for all the ills of the world as it is for a Baby Boomer to call Generation X "pecuniary," when Gen X, of all current generations, has the most financial stress and Baby Boomers are the richest generation in US history.

Although, as is the case among all of us in the USA, including among Boomers, that "richest" wealth is concentrated at the top.

Although Gen X has had more to lose in the recession, millennials are having the hardest time making economic gains in the first place. Boomers are having a hard time being able to retire or keep working. Although this is a generations site, so it is to be expected to attribute conditions and traits to generations, when it comes to the economy and politics, the divide is less between generations, and more between political parties and the red and blue "tribes." That's where we should be placing the "blame;" on the Republicans. It is their policies, and their imitation too often by Democrats, that have brought about less equality and economic mobility in our society, ever since the charming, ruggedly-handsome actor deceived us into adopting trickle-down economics and free trade, and convinced us that government is the problem.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(09-30-2016, 07:01 AM)Odin Wrote:
(09-27-2016, 06:49 PM)Bronsin Wrote: What's the over/under on how many of the millennials still live in their parent's basement?

You know that this is because of economic reasons and not laziness or immaturity, right? Rolleyes

Bingo. That is correct and yet older people who do not get that use it as a means to bully younger people into leaving when they can't financially. In my case my mother cannot live without my money (her debt) and we are having a housing crisis here in NZ too. Even renting is costly. So guess where I am atm? Better to spend my time at University (as jobs are scarce too) and prepare to get my dream job when the crisis hopefully blows over.
1984 Apollonian Civic
ISFP - The Artist.

Bronsin Wrote:Oh I'm aware of it. I'm also aware of just how much weaker you are at 50 than at 25.

That's called aging. I could party hearty at 25, but no way can I do that stuff now.

Quote:If those kids can't beat a 50yr old man that just had a mild heart attack the day before then they might as well pack it in because this game is gonna get much harder than that.

Who had the heart attack?

Quote:There was always one fat kid in every grade that usually got picked on quite a bit. Went to my son's graduation a few years ago, and I couldn't figure out who the fat kid was, because there were so many fat kids running around. There is no excuse for an obese 3rd grader.

Dunno. Sometimes somebody can inherit a bunch of lousy genetic cards. In high school, there was only 1 fat kid in PE, so I think he got a lousy hand. As for environmental factors, yeah sure anyone would get fat sitting on their ass all day and ate 4 tubs of ice cream. That's simple physics. It's like there were no video games or smell phones around when I was a kid. Not to mention mom was always saying go outside , only 3 TV channels, and the 5 mile paper route I had.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TUB_(gene)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FTO_gene
---Value Added Cool
Eric The Green Wrote:Although, as is the case among all of us in the USA, including among Boomers, that "richest" wealth is concentrated at the top.
I think the Silents have the most wealth.

Quote:Although Gen X has had more to lose in the recession, millennials are having the hardest time making economic gains in the first place.
[/quote]

Uh, not quite. It's location,location,location. Some states' bubbles are larger, some states' bubbles are smaller, the ones in the Oklahoma don't exist at all, go ask Rags'er when he's on the ball. Cool Big Grin Tongue

Quote:Boomers are having a hard time being able to retire or keep working. Although this is a generations site, so it is to be expected to attribute conditions and traits to generations, when it comes to the economy and politics, the divide is less between generations, and more between political parties and the red and blue "tribes."

When are you going to blame the Federal Reserve for blowing all of these stupid bubbles?

Quote:That's where we should be placing the "blame;" on the Republicans. It is their policies, and their imitation too often by Democrats, that have brought about less equality and economic mobility in our society, ever since the charming, ruggedly-handsome actor deceived us into adopting trickle-down economics and free trade, and convinced us that government is the problem.

That's one place to point a finger. Here's some more.
1. The Federal Reserve and their EZ money policy.  What a nest of idiots.  Low interest rates DO NOT work in a debt besotted economy.
2. Sally Mae.  Why can't they figure out that degrees in "fashion merchandising" , "general studies", history, etc. won't be enough to pay the loan back.
3. Freddie Mac/Fannie Mae.  Why do these agencies even exist? They do nothing but fuel housing bubbles.
---Value Added Cool