Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introducing our new moderator
Ragnarök_62 was kindly agreed to serve as a moderator.  I'd like to thank him for his service.
Thank you, Ragnarok, for doing a thankless task.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

PBR said it; I can only agree heartily. Best of luck whipping us into shape.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
and on behalf of all the lurkers, thanks!
"But there's a difference between error and dishonesty, and it's not a trivial difference." - Ben Greenman
"Relax, it'll be all right, and by that I mean it will first get worse."
"How was I supposed to know that there'd be consequences for my actions?" - Gina Linetti
We still don't have any moderating going on
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(01-29-2018, 07:24 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: We still don't have any moderating going on

There was someone offering illegal downloads of recent-release movies. The threads including those offerings, including my response (which included the FBI anti-piracy logo and an explanation of why movie piracy is terribly wrong and needless) have disappeared. So there is some moderation.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Thanks, Ragnarok.

Eric, the better the moderator, the less you know the site is being moderated.
Thumbs Up 
Wow. We're going to have a cool moderator.
(01-29-2018, 11:42 PM)Warren Dew Wrote: Thanks, Ragnarok.

Yes, but maybe it's OK with you that a dogmatic libertarian posts so many threads that the forum becomes unreadable.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(01-29-2018, 10:31 PM)pbrower2a Wrote:
(01-29-2018, 07:24 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: We still don't have any moderating going on

There was someone offering illegal downloads of recent-release movies. The threads including those offerings, including my response (which included the FBI anti-piracy logo and an explanation of why movie piracy is terribly wrong and needless) have disappeared. So there is some moderation.

I suppose I could flag some of what has not been taken down and see what happens.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(01-30-2018, 02:42 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:

Yes, but maybe it's OK with you that a dogmatic libertarian posts so many threads that the forum becomes unreadable.

nebraska's stuff is prolific, but none of it is "spam" in the sense of selling shit.  If you want it to go away, use the ignore.  It's there for a reason.
---Value Added Cool
(01-30-2018, 04:11 PM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote:

nebraska's stuff is prolific, but none of it is "spam" in the sense of selling shit.  If you want it to go away, use the ignore.  It's there for a reason.

He's on my ignore list. It doesn't get rid of his prolific threads.

Quote (classic Xer):
My advice to Ragnarok, limit this dudes posts to only a few posts per day.
Quote (brower)
Or better yet, ban his naked links. At least he could give us some cause to read his links, such as excerpts. Yes, I have posted new threads that have gone nowhere, but at the least I offer some excerpts or commentary. He does not seem to respond to any thread that someone else created. He can post a link, so he can cut and paste.

Thanks for removing the movie ads. Good to have some moderation.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
It is quite common on forums to ban posters who use multiple ID names to get around bans and rules. Scholar = nebraska = 1948 and maybe Mabel.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

I like the idea of an online community with a variety of political opinions allowed. There are many of only one approved opinion.
(02-01-2018, 11:06 PM)bobc Wrote:

I like the idea of an online community with a variety of political opinions allowed. There are many of only one approved opinion.

No disagreement there.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(01-31-2018, 02:13 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: It is quite common on forums to ban posters who use multiple ID names to get around bans and rules. Scholar = nebraska = 1948 and maybe Mabel.

And now he is going by "theory"

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
just an opinion - I agree with a rather lenient attitude, but one thing that irks me are posts that have no content other than a link - and I'm seeing more of these lately; that's not contributing at all to a discussion, it's just lazy. or worse, dangerous, as there's no way to know what is at that the other end of that link.
"But there's a difference between error and dishonesty, and it's not a trivial difference." - Ben Greenman
"Relax, it'll be all right, and by that I mean it will first get worse."
"How was I supposed to know that there'd be consequences for my actions?" - Gina Linetti
(02-05-2018, 12:27 PM)tg63 Wrote: just an opinion - I agree with a rather lenient attitude, but one thing that irks me are posts that have no content other than a link - and I'm seeing more of these lately;  that's not contributing at all to a discussion, it's just lazy.  or worse, dangerous, as there's no way to know what is at that the other end of that link.

It's being done by one person, who goes by "nom" "nebraska" "1948" "theory" etc.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Awesome choice (he's a Baby Buster).

Congratulations, Rags!
"These, and many other matters which might be noticed, add a volume of unofficial declarations to the mass of organic utterances that this is a Christian nation" - Justice David Brewer, Church of the Holy Trinity v. United States, 1892
Where is our moderator?

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M