Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What will happen if someone lives by 3T values in the 1T?
So here's a late reply, but this thread brought something to mind for me that I think might be a good way to sum it all up. There's a phrase that my parents and their friends (early X) like to say to me (very late Millennial) when discussing politics, something along the lines of "if you're young and conservative, you have no heart, if you're old and liberal, you have no brain."

Of course, we know here that that phrase only applies when the generations are in a certain position, but that's beside the point. The point is: Someone living a 3T lifestyle in a 1T would be seen as "having no heart," while someone living a 1T lifestyle in a 3T would be seen as "having no brain."
(01-11-2021, 06:21 PM)mamabug Wrote: I think it depends on what you mean by 'lives like the 3T.'  

In general, during a 1T, our society's ability to empathize with those outside of one of our personal 'tribes' gradually increases and, as that occurs, so does our willingness to include them in the existing social compact whereas in a 3T, the inverse of that happens.  If you think of 'living in a 3T' as being someone who can empathize with those who aren't like you and thinks they should have the same rights and opportunities as you do, then in a 1T you might be on the forefront of the counter culture.

If you are speaking of the proudly-decadent behavior of a 3T, that might be possible among people then deemed pariahs who have no cause for the social conformity so commonplace in the 1T. Among such people the accoutrements of the 3T are available cheaply as cast-offs. Among those who break the rules of taste, some might turn it into parodistic shtick (example: the pianist Liberace). Such a GI pianist as Vladimir Horowitz, Rudolf Serkin, Sviatoslav Richter, or Emil Gilels just would do nothing of the sort. Entertainers who can get away with anything might go along this route, but all I can think of is such people as "drag queens".

Most of what people reject in a 4T is recent innovations of a 3T that did not turn out well -- that people could get away with before the Crisis but not during it. The more equitable economics of a 1T encourage a consumer society that itself is highly conformist. Much of 3T behavior will he associated with the causes of the Crisis or with pathetic attempts at hedonism that doesn't seem to work so well in a 1T.

Most people will have a stake in the new economic and social order because it is better than the pre-Crisis world. Solid pay for solid work, small business starting to reward their owners, and plenty of jobs in bureaucratic organizations offering conventional work. The consumer goodies of the 1T will be more attractive in a 1T than 30-year-old (3T) ephemera.

Most significantly, the bad business practices that precede a 1T, especially the speculative boom, will be impossible to replicate.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(05-31-2021, 12:05 AM)galaxy Wrote: So here's a late reply, but this thread brought something to mind for me that I think might be a good way to sum it all up. There's a phrase that my parents and their friends (early X) like to say to me (very late Millennial) when discussing politics, something along the lines of "if you're young and conservative, you have no heart, if you're old and liberal, you have no brain."

Of course, we know here that that phrase only applies when the generations are in a certain position, but that's beside the point. The point is: Someone living a 3T lifestyle in a 1T would be seen as "having no heart," while someone living a 1T lifestyle in a 3T would be seen as "having no brain."

Actually, that's a famous quote by Winston Churchill.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
(05-31-2021, 06:59 AM)David Horn Wrote:
(05-31-2021, 12:05 AM)galaxy Wrote: So here's a late reply, but this thread brought something to mind for me that I think might be a good way to sum it all up. There's a phrase that my parents and their friends (early X) like to say to me (very late Millennial) when discussing politics, something along the lines of "if you're young and conservative, you have no heart, if you're old and liberal, you have no brain."

Actually, that's a famous quote by Winston Churchill.

In the latter case that might well apply to a married woman trying to do the Suzy Homemaker thing so common during the last 1T. Since it is often said that history doesn't repeat but rather rhymes, that no doubt makes it unlikely that the coming 1T would see a return to the Suzy Homemaker/Organization Man lifestyle. First, most women today have too much education to be willing to put up with that role, and second, it is very unlikely that we could possible return to a world of the type of solid, secure jobs that were commonplace in those days, especially for men.  Yet many women who didn't want to aspire to the SH role found a home in the secretarial world, which itself wasn't dominated by women until after WWII. For example, President Woodrow Wilson's personal secretary was a man.
While few people are living a 3T lifestyle today, many, many people are still clinging to their 3T prejudices - and this continues to have a huge effect on our politics.
"These, and many other matters which might be noticed, add a volume of unofficial declarations to the mass of organic utterances that this is a Christian nation" - Justice David Brewer, Church of the Holy Trinity v. United States, 1892
(07-27-2021, 09:18 AM)Anthony Wrote: While few people are living a 3T lifestyle today, many, many people are still clinging to their 3T prejudices - and this continues to have a huge effect on our politics.

They may now recognize that they can no lon ger get away with it.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.