Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No more Millennial children
(09-27-2018, 10:22 PM)David Horn Wrote:
(09-27-2018, 07:44 PM)Tuss Wrote: Hm, question before I reply further: Those Swedish Xers you found to be solidly Millennial in thinking, how old were they?

I didn't ask directly, but they seemed to be about the same age as my son and his then girlfriend -- I'm thinking late 30s and early 40s today.  I have a son ('77 cohort) and daughter-in-law ('79 cohort) who still show definite Xer traits, especially my son.  Yes, they are on the cusp, but they are not Millennials at all.  My DIL has a few Millie-like traits.  My son has none I can see.

Yes, in my book that totally explains it, at least as far as this country is concerned. Some people here hate me for this, but it has been my solid conviction ever since I signed up to the old forum that the Awakening ended around 1980 (not in the mid 80's) and respectively, the X/Millie boundary has been put at too late a date. As a rule, you cannot be an Xer if you didn't spend at least some of your childhood in the Awakening (although, there are always exceptions). You just won't have the same growing up experience and thought patterns based on a world where "adults were simply not in control of either themselves or the country".

As far as I'm concerned, this has also been born out by experience. People I know who had siblings born late in the 70's usually display typical Millie traits, i.e wanted and pampered as children, protected and stable family conditions, ideologically confined to bubbles, more trusting of the adult world and its dominant ideas, and thus susceptible to intensified politically correct indoctrination, notably from the early 90's on. As grown ups they often display well conditioned behaviour, have a relative easier time getting mating and family formation to work than Xers did, etc.

So, in short, your observations of those Swedes (not your own children) are simply bearing out my own impressions. I'd say the real Xer/Millie boundary is more properly located somewhere around 1977, give or take.

It should be noted however, that Xer behaviour also vary with for instance ideological affillation. Sweden is a very conformist and neo-totalitarian society, meaning that if you align with the culture of the "correct" political colours (invariably leftism), you'll also tend to get a better life experience out of it on the whole. In this drama, Xers who side with the left will often act almost reminiscent of those Silents who were once inspired by the Boom, sort of in a in a cowed manner looking up to their junior's 'radicalism', emulating Millennial ideas, causes, behaviour and lifestyles. This could account for some Xers resembling Millies more than prototypical Xers when you encounter them.
Every time period believes the Crisis "is now".

1970 Core X

Gothenburg, Sweden

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Millennial Women Empowered sbarrera 18 2,561 08-22-2022, 09:39 PM
Last Post: JasonBlack
Brick People not accepting our Millennial theory X Marks the Spot 43 16,432 02-17-2022, 10:49 AM
Last Post: David Horn
  Rating Millennial start dates Ghost 5 2,093 12-31-2021, 11:05 AM
  The only way to stop Millennial cancel culture is to outlaw it AspieMillennial 16 7,190 07-01-2021, 11:28 AM
Last Post: AspieMillennial
  Millennial filmmakers GeekyCynic 0 1,246 01-05-2021, 04:08 PM
Last Post: GeekyCynic
  I’m a millennial? RadianMay 20 12,534 08-20-2020, 12:28 PM
  The mystery of Millennial politics Dan '82 67 63,427 08-13-2020, 02:54 PM
Last Post: jleagans
  So why aren't Millennial adults spending enough? pbrower2a 2 2,796 12-02-2018, 02:17 AM
Last Post: pbrower2a
Video The Millennial Counter Argument - Millennials and their videos debunking everything sbarrera 9 8,137 10-12-2018, 06:36 AM
Last Post: sbarrera
  AB/DL - The Millennial Fetish? Lemanic 2 6,290 04-25-2017, 01:22 PM
Last Post: beechnut79