Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The MSM Notices that Generations Matter
Lightbulb 
Tim Egan lives in Washington State and has been writing for the NY Times for decades.  Normally, he writes East Coast opinion with a West Coast spin.  Today, he took on his Boomers and Millennials to task, asking why Boomers are so backward and the Millennials so lame.  It was so in step with what we've been writing, it could have been posted on this forum.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
Yes indeed, very good article in my opinion.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
But they still claim Millennials end in 1996. That's nonsense. If a Millennial is anyone who remembers the 3T, the end date should be around 2003. If we use the other definition, coming of age during the 4T, 1996 still doesn't make sense because people born in the late 90s have already come of age, or are very close to adulthood, yet we don't expect the new cycle to start in a moment.

BTW, what name do you prefer for the new artistic generation? I prefer iGeneration, as they don't remember the world before the iGadgets.
(10-14-2018, 05:28 AM)Bill the Piper Wrote: But they still claim Millennials end in 1996. That's nonsense. If a Millennial is anyone who remembers the 3T, the end date should be around 2003. If we use the other definition, coming of age during the 4T, 1996 still doesn't make sense because people born in the late 90s have already come of age, or are very close to adulthood, yet we don't expect the new cycle to start in a moment.

BTW, what name do you prefer for the new artistic generation? I prefer iGeneration, as they don't remember the world before the iGadgets.

We T4Ters are unique in marking the generations, so deviation is built-in.  I worry less about that and more about the rising realization that this is happening, and generations are at the root of the issue.  It's a 70% solution, but I'll take it.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
Demographics is much of contemporary reality, and age groups themselves are critical demographics.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(10-14-2018, 05:28 AM)Bill the Piper Wrote: But they still claim Millennials end in 1996. That's nonsense. If a Millennial is anyone who remembers the 3T, the end date should be around 2003. If we use the other definition, coming of age during the 4T, 1996 still doesn't make sense because people born in the late 90s have already come of age, or are very close to adulthood, yet we don't expect the new cycle to start in a moment.

I agree, 2003 is a good date. I don't have a name for Generation Z.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(10-14-2018, 08:30 AM)David Horn Wrote:

We T4Ters are unique in marking the generations, so deviation is built-in.  I worry less about that and more about the rising realization that this is happening, and generations are at the root of the issue.  It's a 70% solution, but I'll take it.

Consumer objects go in and out of style, or at least change. Would it have made sense to call the Lost Generation the "Automobile Generation" for being the first to have grown up when automobiles came into American life and for using in ways that older generations didn't approve, like using a car for 'making whoopie"? All subsequent generations have found ways to fit the automobile into their lives, except perhaps in New York City, where even the middle class is priced out of them.

The GI and Silent generations are defined largely by the youngest GIs having responsible roles in World War II and the Silent having been prepared for, but not having such roles. Historical roles separate the two generations.  We will not know where the generational divide lies until 2025 or so, about when the new Idealist generation starts to be born.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Generations and presidential campaigns Dan '82 10 9,149 11-14-2016, 02:44 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green
  This may be the last presidential election dominated by Boomers and prior generations Dan '82 2 3,525 09-05-2016, 09:48 PM
Last Post: Warren Dew