Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"I am 18. I belong to the massacre generation."

I am 18. I belong to the massacre generation.

Quote:By Julia Savoca Gibson
Julia Savoca Gibson is a freshman at the College of William & Mary who plans to study history, film and the media. She is from Richmond.

November 1

It was last Saturday when it hit me that my entire life has been framed by violence.

I don’t remember being born on Jan. 28, 2000, and I don’t remember being a year and a half old when 9/11 happened. I don’t remember the panic of my mother as she stepped outside our house in Washington and smelled the smoke of the burning Pentagon. I don’t remember her knowing I would grow up in a changed world.

But I remember other things. I remember being 7 years old and seeing adults who were sad, angry, shocked after something terrible happened at Virginia Tech. I remember not knowing why. I remember the lockdown drills at my elementary school, the helpful signs in every classroom telling us where to hide in case of a “Code Blue,” which meant active shooter. (I remember we were told that having all the kids in one corner, a misguided protocol no longer followed, was the best means of protection.)

I remember being in seventh grade, and I remember my teacher looking up from her computer, pale, and running out of the room without a word during a quiz. I remember her walking back in, tears streaking her face, as she told us there had been a shooting in Newtown, Conn., where her grandchildren lived. I remember her telling us they were all right, and I remember thinking of my little brother in his second-grade classroom and feeling my stomach churn.

I remember walking into my high school the day after the Orlando nightclub shooting and seeing one of my gay friends sitting limply in a chair, eyes hollow. I remember sobbing. Often, I remember sobbing. I remember friends’ tears a year later, after the shooting in Las Vegas, and I remember feeling angry that I wasn’t crying. I remember Parkland the most clearly. I remember the silence. No one talked about it the morning after. No teachers mentioned it. I remember bringing it up at lunch but receiving only passing responses. I remember talking to my friend Max about how odd it was that no one said anything. I remember him gathering our friends to organize a walkout. I remember walking out, and I remember the silence of the crowd of students standing outside in the March cold. I remember the crackle of the megaphone we used as we read one name of one victim every minute. I remember those 17 minutes. I remember marching, once, then twice, and again and again.

I remember going with two friends last Friday to a Shabbat service in the spare room of a local Methodist church, sponsored by my college’s Jewish organization Hillel. I remember my friend Lucy leading the prayers, with her singing and playing guitar, and I remember my valiant attempts to sing along using the transliterations below the Hebrew in the books they’d handed out. I remember getting kosher dinner with them afterward as they explained to me how and why kosher food was a thing. I remember them describing the different kinds of Judaism they all came from.

I remember waking up on Saturday morning and seeing the news on my phone. I remember the sadness, shock, anger. I remember the haunting thought that the shooter might have gone to our service instead, or could go to the next one. I remember a stream of dripping wax burning my finger at the vigil I attended. I remember the look in my Jewish friends’ eyes.

And it was then that I remembered everything at once. I remembered all the violence looming around me, and my friends, and my entire generation. I remembered that for anyone born near the year 2000, this is all we’ve ever known.

I remember filling out my absentee ballot a few weeks ago. I remember voting, hoping that weeks, years, decades from now I’d be able to remember that we changed.

Sad
(11-02-2018, 10:29 AM)gabrielle Wrote: I am 18. I belong to the massacre generation.
That's on all of us older but certainly no wiser cohorts.  We've lost our way … everyone of us.  November 6th may start us back on a better road, but we need to find the best road.  I'm not convinced we know what that is, where to look or how to be sure we've found it when we do … if we do.  Of all the supposed leaders vying to get the big job, how many are really wise enough to get us through the gauntlet that leads to a long term gain.  We can't just oscillate between better and worse, and get where we need to go.
The one upside: 'worse' is so bad this time that even ordinary Republicans are revolted.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice for the younger generation JasonBlack 2 1,047 03-06-2022, 02:45 PM
Last Post: JasonBlack
  My estimates on who belongs in the Homeland Generation Ghost 4 3,037 02-12-2022, 11:23 PM
Last Post: JasonBlack
  Why I Call Them the "Activist Generation" Anthony '58 0 934 12-16-2021, 06:42 AM
Last Post: Anthony '58
Heart I'm a member of the Homeland Generation (2005). Ask me anything. Camz 48 29,543 10-02-2020, 12:37 AM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Homeland generation trending on Twitter? sbarrera 0 1,273 07-29-2020, 09:48 AM
Last Post: sbarrera
  The Activist Generation? Anthony '58 5 4,432 06-21-2020, 04:30 PM
Last Post: Anthony '58
  Have Smartphones Destroyed a Generation? Dan '82 27 32,344 05-31-2020, 10:34 AM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Snapshot of the Homeland generation today sbarrera 22 16,117 07-12-2019, 08:03 PM
Last Post: Hintergrund
Video Styx on Generation Zed. Kinser79 2 3,520 08-31-2017, 03:31 PM
Last Post: Kinser79
  Donald Trump will live on in the new Reactive Generation Einzige 13 13,012 11-15-2016, 12:06 AM
Last Post: Eric the Green