Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm a member of the Homeland Generation (2005). Ask me anything.
I assume that everyone knows that The Guilded Age was a novel written by Mark Twain and Charles Warner around 1873?  The name sort of stuck with post Civil War America?
That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.
(05-30-2020, 08:28 PM)GeekyCynic Wrote: Welcome to the forum. It is cool to see the first member of the New Artist generation on this forum. Some of us are old timers who've been around since the forum was first created in the late '90s. I myself joined in 2005, the year you were born, which definitely makes me feel old. I have a nephew who is your age.

I'm late, but thank you very much! It felt strange joining this forum filled with people born as early as the 40s at first, but the topics here are really fascinating and educational, and its always helpful to hear adult opinions.
(05-30-2020, 09:37 PM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: I assume that everyone knows that The Guilded Age was a novel written by Mark Twain and Charles Warner around 1873?  The name sort of stuck with post Civil War America?
Yeah, I learned about that in school last year.
Here's a poll involving college students, some of whom are just a couple years older than you:

[quote author=wbrocks67 link=topic=390644.msg7534373#msg7534373 date=1598288005 uid=19655]
Biden 70
Trump 18
Someone else 10
Would not vote 3

https://knightfoundation.org/wp-content/...gstudy.pdf

Was there any type of poll done to compare this to 2016?
[/quote]

I interpret this as powerful evidence that the Millennial and post-Millennial generations are anti-Trump... and that the politics of late-wave Millennial and early-wave post-Millennial youth will be hostile to the GOP as it now exists. (Of course, the GOP could change its ways -- but cultural patterns and political attitudes rarely change over people's lives.

Do you see any conservative currents that have the potential to bring your generation to a more politically-conservative outlook? I will first rule out any effort to undo LGBT rights, as legal precedents stick.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(08-24-2020, 01:25 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: I interpret this as powerful evidence that the Millennial and post-Millennial generations are anti-Trump... and that the politics of late-wave Millennial and early-wave post-Millennial youth will be hostile to the GOP as it now exists. (Of course, the GOP could change its ways -- but cultural patterns and political attitudes rarely change over people's lives.

I would put in the caveat, except in a 4T.  We will see the Republicans change, but they will likely go on with their old values a bit longer.
That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.
Republicans holding ideas like those of Trump skew markedly old, and any agenda or customer base that gets older without replenishment by fresh customers tends to fde out. This explains why music whose fans are largely in their sixties (like classical music) isn't being marketed as it once was.  CD's of classical music are often available for a dollar a disc in used-goods shops. Wanna know what is really cheap? You can get LP records of such people as Patti Page, Lawrence Welk, Tennessee Ernie Ford, Dinah Shore, Perry Como, and Guy Lombardo for 3 for a dollar. People die, and the latter don't sell at estate sales.

A few days ago I went to an electronics store that supposedly had a listening room. It instead had a display at which the only music that I could test speakers on was either rap "music" (which is about as much an oxymoron as "safe polonium") or country music (which sounds alike no matter what one plays it on).  The last time I bought stereo speakers I used music for string quartet. Because string quartets are a big part of the classical repertory and most of the symphonic orchestra is a multiple of two violins, a viola, and a cello, any speakers that can't do justice to a string quartet are schlock -- no matter how expensive.  But I am old, and I am thus trash to marketers. To them I might as well be a homeless bum on skid row, rotting my brain and character on cheap booze.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Nah the Republican Party is about to go the way of the dodo bird.

50% of fourth turnings have destroyed a major American political party Smile .
(10-01-2020, 03:03 AM)jleagans Wrote: Nah the Republican Party is about to go the way of the dodo bird.

50% of fourth turnings have destroyed a major American political party Smile .

What it should be and what it will be are only coincidentally aligned.  Big Grin

It's not like the Dems are hung in garlands for their glorious stand for the good over the powerful.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
(08-24-2020, 02:11 PM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote:
(08-24-2020, 01:25 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: I interpret this as powerful evidence that the Millennial and post-Millennial generations are anti-Trump... and that the politics of late-wave Millennial and early-wave post-Millennial youth will be hostile to the GOP as it now exists. (Of course, the GOP could change its ways -- but cultural patterns and political attitudes rarely change over people's lives.

I would put in the caveat, except in a 4T.  We will see the Republicans change, but they will likely go on with their old values a bit longer.

Part of the cause of progress is that old fuddy-duddies, let alone the nasty old bast@rds committed to bad old ideas die off. Segregationism was strong in "Kukluxistan" when the Southern leaders were mostly raised in the presence of Confederate veterans who lamented the defeat in the "War of Northern Aggression" and the 'loss' of a glorious way of life. Such is the message of someone like Margaret Mitchell, author of Gone with the Wind . Say what you want about some of the ugly stereotypes and now politically-objectionable stuff (yes, that 'political meeting' was a Klan rally)... there is a big difference between the silver-tongued orators like Thomas Bilbo who could express racial hatred coherently and someone like George Wallace, who could offer it only as a muddle. 

I am reminded of what is said of the Académie Française, the institution that officially guides the definition of what is acceptable in the French language. It prefers fin de la semaine to the Anglo-American "weekend". (OK, anyone who has learned French and recognizes the need to discipline one's mouth to make le français that one speaks sound elegant, "weekend" just does not fit. I can understand why the French would prefer  [i]baladeur[/i][i]ordinateur[/i][i]logiciel[/i], and [i]courriel[/i]  to walkmancomputersoftware and e-mail, none of which well fit French vocal patterns. (OK, I would transform "weekend" into "vicande" and computer into "computeur" , but I may know a bit too much about French for my own good. Maybe the French will at some time use something like "vicande" to distinguish Anglo-American ideas of what would be a literal fin de semaine, but the  Académie will be slow to do so.  Members of the Académie die off, and linguistic progress becomes possible. 

The changes most likely to vanish during a 4T are (ironic for their novelty, but not for the depravity of much of it) those that arise in the 3T. 3T fads and frenzies are usually superficial enough that the people who practice them quickly find them irrelevant. Mindless ways of spending time and money  have a tendency to die off as resources vanish and realities more pressing appear. To be sure, if it is good it tends to stick, whatever the temporal provenance. 

At this point I cannot say that the GOP will die. If people see it as a menace to what they cherish and find necessary, then it can die. Americans may start to consider the GOP an authoritarian Party inimical to democracy and find it largely irrelevant much as happened to the SED in East Germany or the PZPR in Poland. It is also possible that this Crisis Era ends as an equivalent of an Era of Good Feeling begins at the start of the High, with conservatives finding their way into the Democratic Party but Trump-era semi-fascists find no home in the Democratic Party. Of course, as in the 1820's and 1850's, the Whigs and the Republicans formed as part of a near-duopoly. I can see the expanded big-tent Democratic Party splitting along Social Democratic and Christian Democratic lines as in Germany. 

A solid democracy needs an effective conservative party to keep radical reforms from the Left careening into unchecked extremism. The Weimar Republic failed in part because it had no responsible or effective conservative party (the Nationalist Party was good at carping but bad at checking) and the Center Party was ineffective because it had a narrow religious base. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad 2005 is the correct start date for Genz (new baby bust) Gggecko 1 881 03-22-2022, 10:29 AM
Last Post: David Horn
  Advice for the younger generation JasonBlack 2 1,047 03-06-2022, 02:45 PM
Last Post: JasonBlack
  My estimates on who belongs in the Homeland Generation Ghost 4 3,037 02-12-2022, 11:23 PM
Last Post: JasonBlack
  Why I Call Them the "Activist Generation" Anthony '58 0 934 12-16-2021, 06:42 AM
Last Post: Anthony '58
  Millennial/Homeland Cusp RELFantastic 1 2,103 08-24-2020, 01:21 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Homeland generation trending on Twitter? sbarrera 0 1,273 07-29-2020, 09:48 AM
Last Post: sbarrera
  The Activist Generation? Anthony '58 5 4,434 06-21-2020, 04:30 PM
Last Post: Anthony '58
  Have Smartphones Destroyed a Generation? Dan '82 27 32,346 05-31-2020, 10:34 AM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Snapshot of the Homeland generation today sbarrera 22 16,132 07-12-2019, 08:03 PM
Last Post: Hintergrund
  "I am 18. I belong to the massacre generation." gabrielle 1 2,828 11-04-2018, 10:00 AM
Last Post: David Horn