Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Silent Generation Sub Forum
I am planning to feature a new kind of post on my blog where I focus on one member of the Silent generation (or a group of people with something in common). It would be about living members of the generation, and there are many left still influencing the world. Of course I will share here.

This particular post is about the lack of a Silent Generation Sub Forum underneath the Generations Forum. I don't see a way to create a new Sub Forum; is this something only an admin can do?
Steve Barrera

[A]lthough one would like to change today's world back to the spirit of one hundred years or more ago, it cannot be done. Thus it is important to make the best out of every generation. - Hagakure

Saecular Pages
Good idea.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(07-23-2019, 07:07 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: Good idea.

Thanks. Since I can't make a sub forum, I'll just have to start a thread instead.
Steve Barrera

[A]lthough one would like to change today's world back to the spirit of one hundred years or more ago, it cannot be done. Thus it is important to make the best out of every generation. - Hagakure

Saecular Pages
I have dubbed the Silent the "supergerontocracy" - and maintain that it rules America as a whole, just like it rules the LDS/Mormon Church, whose president, Russell Nelson, is 94 years old, and whose predecessor, Boyd Packer, died at the age of 90 in 2015.

And the American supergerontocracy is kept in place by the Electoral College, a grossly malapportioned House of Representatives, where California has only 53 times as many seats as Wyoming even though it has 82 times Wyoming's population, lifetime felony disenfranchisement for even possession of small amounts of marijuana, the holding of elections on a workday, greatly reducing working-class turnout, and the tremendous advantage that Citizens United gives the wealthy.

Furthermore, the supergerontocracy's unwavering obsession with the Cold War, which is responsible for its support for the most extreme laissez-faire capitalism, and its denunciation of doing anything about health care or climate change as "communist" (the latter because Earth Day is Lenin's birthday) is dragging the whole political debate in this country to the lowest common denominator.
"These, and many other matters which might be noticed, add a volume of unofficial declarations to the mass of organic utterances that this is a Christian nation" - Justice David Brewer, Church of the Holy Trinity v. United States, 1892
The Electoral College doesn't matter that much. Billionaires probably can bribe - sorry, lobby - in every system. But yes, we have too many active Silent billionaires, and it's their fault that the old age won't die, no matter how decrepit. Like a nonagenarian kept alive by machines in his hospital bed, which costs not 1000s but 10000s per day, if not more.

Check my thread "Powerful Silents". If you get your Silent sub-forum, we can move that thread to it.
(08-14-2019, 09:13 AM)Hintergrund Wrote: The Electoral College doesn't matter that much. Billionaires probably can bribe - sorry, lobby - in every system. But yes, we have too many active Silent billionaires, and it's their fault that the old age won't die, no matter how decrepit. Like a nonagenarian kept alive by machines in his hospital bed, which costs not 1000s but 10000s per day, if not more.

Check my thread "Powerful Silents". If you get your Silent sub-forum, we can move that thread to it.

I'm OK with the rich spending gazillions to extend their lives by a few years if that's how they chose to spend their money.  I have a real problem when they think they get to decide how the world will work for everyone else.  So yes, the uber-rich need to sit down and shut up, or we should tax the crap out of them.  Perhaps both.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
Good luck with that.
(08-14-2019, 09:13 AM)Hintergrund Wrote: The Electoral College doesn't matter that much. Billionaires probably can bribe - sorry, lobby - in every system. But yes, we have too many active Silent billionaires, and it's their fault that the old age won't die, no matter how decrepit. Like a nonagenarian kept alive by machines in his hospital bed, which costs not 1000s but 10000s per day, if not more.

So far I don't know how that would happen, but yes, I think we could move a bunch of threads. The Silents have staying power!

I like your threads that have made these observations.
Steve Barrera

Saecular Pages
(08-17-2019, 02:05 PM)sbarrera Wrote:

So far I don't know how that would happen, but yes, I think we could move a bunch of threads.

Did you try to PM Webmaster? Or the mods, Ragnarök or Dan 82?

PS: Thx.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A revised list of the "bad apples" of every generation Ghost 16 6,201 01-15-2023, 10:49 AM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Name people who were anomalies for their generation disasterzone 69 48,335 01-08-2023, 07:50 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green
  My Specific Presidential Generation Range (s) Theory Cocoa_Puff 10 4,848 09-01-2022, 05:20 AM
  The Lost Generation: Not Gone Yet! Anthony '58 3 1,124 08-31-2022, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Anthony '58
  What do you think are the major pros/cons of each current generation? JasonBlack 51 11,216 06-14-2022, 11:47 PM
Last Post: JasonBlack
  What If Everyone Born from 1967 to 1991 is Generation X? Victorian Jim Dandy 10 3,278 05-27-2022, 03:24 PM
  Most Useless Famous People of Each Generation JasonBlack 13 3,265 03-06-2022, 02:40 PM
  Entertainers by Generation GeekyCynic 4 1,476 02-20-2022, 01:07 AM
  The "Bad Apples" of each generation Ghost 72 46,086 02-11-2022, 12:31 AM
  Anti-generation-ers jleagans 3 2,597 12-16-2020, 02:21 PM
Last Post: Cocoa_Puff