Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Merchants and Sages
I was wondering what ideas people might have regarding other possible names for the additional 2 generational architypes (Merchants and Sages) in the 6 generation/turning cycle I have identified? See attached. Also, does anyone else here have an academic background? I'd like to collaborate with someone to develop my 6 turnings/generations cycle further.

Attached Files
.pdf   6 AngloAmerican Turnings Notes - Copy.pdf (Size: 491.44 KB / Downloads: 4)
(10-27-2019, 12:40 PM)Jessquo Wrote: I was wondering what ideas people might have regarding other possible names for the additional 2 generational architypes (Merchants and Sages) in the 6 generation/turning cycle I have identified? See attached. Also, does anyone else here have an academic background? I'd like to collaborate with someone to develop my 6 turnings/generations cycle further.

This would break the dependence of the generational cycle among the pattern of four generations.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(10-27-2019, 10:47 PM)pbrower2a Wrote:
(10-27-2019, 12:40 PM)Jessquo Wrote: I was wondering what ideas people might have regarding other possible names for the additional 2 generational architypes (Merchants and Sages) in the 6 generation/turning cycle I have identified? See attached. Also, does anyone else here have an academic background? I'd like to collaborate with someone to develop my 6 turnings/generations cycle further.

This would break the dependence of the generational cycle among the pattern of four generations.

Best wishes with your theory Jessquo, and I am a student of history, but in my reading of Strauss and Howe, and just your generation names, the Merchants would fit well within the Nomad archetype, and the Sages with the Prophets.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

It would. As I see it, the cycle actually has 6 Generational archetypes and 6 Turnings. Furthermore, the people of one generation tend to be the children of those two generations prior (within this 6T/G pattern). The average difference between a persons age and the ages of their children (as opposed to the age of there first child) would fit within this 6 turnings/generations cycle better than four turnings/generations. Also, with this 6 turnings cycle there is more consistency of saeculum length and there was was no disruption regarding the American Civil war (it came right on time).
(10-27-2019, 11:12 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:

Best wishes with your theory Jessquo, and I am a student of history, but in my reading of Strauss and Howe, and just your generation names, the Merchants would fit well within the Nomad archetype, and the Sages with the Prophets.

Eric according to my modified theory Merchants and Sages are recessive archetypes that share certain similarities with the dominant generations immediately before and after them (see prior attachment). Merchants therefore, share similarities with both Prophets and Nomads. However, Sages share similarities with both Nomads and Heroes. The definition of Prophets and Sages differ. The former is concerned with elevating human nature and emphasising the spiritual. Sages on the other hand were perceptive, seeing human nature for what it is and finding ways to equaitably accommodate it. "Prophets spoke for God, focused on divine justice, and were motivated by the divine Word and by a conviction of God’s presence. Sages spoke for humankind, addressed human reason, and were moved by social conscience."