Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boomers and Millennials: Oops!
S&H said that they would get on awesomely well.

Actually, they are getting on awfully rotten.

What happened?
"These, and many other matters which might be noticed, add a volume of unofficial declarations to the mass of organic utterances that this is a Christian nation" - Justice David Brewer, Church of the Holy Trinity v. United States, 1892
(11-09-2019, 01:24 PM)Anthony Wrote: S&H said that they would get on awesomely well.

Actually, they are getting on awfully rotten.

What happened?

Actually, the two gens get along, if adjustments are made.  The Millies are liberal to very liberal in the social/cultural sense, and a bit of a mixed bag on economic liberalism.  Boomers are all over the board.  So yes, "OK Boomer" works for times when they feel they're getting "oldsplaining" and outright animosity when they hear things that grate on them 100%. But the level of tolerance Millies show when their elders seem "just a bit misguided" is a lot better than we Boomers manage much of the time.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
To exaggerate just a bit, the Boomers don't want the Millenials to be their friends; they want the Millenials to be their tools. Leftist Boomers are thrilled that leftist Milleniasl are parroting leftist Boomer propaganda as if it is the Millenials' own. Conservative Boomers are happy their Millenial kids are bucking modern society to give them grandchildren anyway.
(11-09-2019, 04:23 PM)Warren Dew Wrote: To exaggerate just a bit, the Boomers don't want the Millenials to be their friends; they want the Millenials to be their tools.  Leftist Boomers are thrilled that leftist Milleniasl are parroting leftist Boomer propaganda as if it is the Millenials' own.  Conservative Boomers are happy their Millenial kids are bucking modern society to give them grandchildren anyway.

H-m-m-m.  Speak for yourself.  Personally, I find the Millies genuinely likeable.  They have an earnestness that's a bit over the top, perhaps.  But they seem to connect easily to anyone open to it.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
(11-09-2019, 04:23 PM)Warren Dew Wrote: To exaggerate just a bit, the Boomers don't want the Millenials to be their friends; they want the Millenials to be their tools.  Leftist Boomers are thrilled that leftist Millennials are parroting leftist Boomer propaganda as if it is the Millenials' own.  Conservative Boomers are happy their Millenial kids are bucking modern society to give them grandchildren anyway.

H-m-m-m.  Speak for yourself.  Personally, I find the Millies genuinely likeable.  They have an earnestness that's a bit over the top, perhaps.  But they seem to connect easily to anyone open to it.
(11-09-2019, 04:23 PM)Warren Dew Wrote: To exaggerate just a bit, the Boomers don't want the Millenials to be their friends; they want the Millenials to be their tools.  Leftist Boomers are thrilled that leftist Milleniasl are parroting leftist Boomer propaganda as if it is the Millenials' own.  Conservative Boomers are happy their Millenial kids are bucking modern society to give them grandchildren anyway.

Younger people will always be cool and attractive; what's not to like Wink
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Now Eric sounds like a pedo.
(11-11-2019, 06:01 AM)taramarie Wrote:
(11-11-2019, 05:56 AM)Hintergrund Wrote: Now Eric sounds like a pedo.

Well in the past he was actually defending feeling people up without consent and condemning defending oneself against those advances. But I doubt he is a pedo. He is just very much behind in the times. Stuck in the 60s.

Let's just say he's lucky to be far away behind some keyboard.

What's the current age range for Millenials?  Like 18-38 or something?  Not that some don't still act like they're prepubescent.
(11-11-2019, 11:04 AM)Warren Dew Wrote:

What's the current age range for Millenials?  Like 18-38 or something?  Not that some don't still act like they're prepubescent.

That's a characteristic of all dominant gens.  It's easy to get away with murder if you're part of the biggest gang on the street -- witness Mafia Don from the last dominant gen.
(11-11-2019, 06:21 AM)taramarie Wrote:
(11-11-2019, 06:16 AM)Hintergrund Wrote:

Well in the past he was actually defending feeling people up without consent and condemning defending oneself against those advances. But I doubt he is a pedo. He is just very much behind in the times. Stuck in the 60s.

Eh he aint worth it to be honest. Thankfully culture turned more towards condemning that sort of behaviour. I hear a lot from women of his generation who had to put up with that outdated attitude of approving of inappropriate touches.
But you had to be in the so-called "in" crowd in order to get away with those things. In the workplace it was usually just the bosses and maybe next in line. The rank and file didn't get away with it anymore btjan one would today. I can recall being jealous of being able to give a female co-worker a back rub, for example. The harder stuff, wouldn't even try it. We have been clearly in the "time to refrain from embracing' (Turn, Turn,Turn) since I would say the mid-1980s.

However, if ACW2 does break out, we will have much bigger fish to fry than to worry whether some guy gives a co-worker a back rub.
(11-12-2019, 03:28 PM)beechnut79 Wrote:

Eh he aint worth it to be honest. Thankfully culture turned more towards condemning that sort of behaviour. I hear a lot from women of his generation who had to put up with that outdated attitude of approving of inappropriate touches.
But you had to be in the so-called "in" crowd in order to get away with those things. In the workplace it was usually just the bosses and maybe next in line. The rank and file didn't get away with it anymore btjan one would today. I can recall being jealous of being able to give a female co-worker a back rub, for example. The harder stuff, wouldn't even try it. We have been clearly in the "time to refrain from embracing' (Turn, Turn,Turn) since I would say the mid-1980s.

However, if ACW2 does break out, we will have much bigger fish to fry than to worry whether some guy gives a co-worker a back rub.

We clearly are in a repressive trend now about these subjects. That's just what S&H predicted. Back in the last 4T, in the times in which Lee Harvey Oswald grew up, there was little chance for any affection or connection to happen. Children were often seen but not heard. Sex was so repressed that deviation and sexual abuse was very common, and very hidden. There was no human potential movement or new age therapies around to help people who felt alienated and lonely. Touchy-feeley attitudes didn't even exist. 

Now we are going back in that direction again. Hintergrund seems all in favor of this, to the point that he has to read his GenX cynicism into a popular philosophy book about integrating romanticism and rationalism and opening up to intuition. Touchy-feeley is looked down upon and is a term of abuse. The therapeutic movements are drying up amid the millennial generation's retreat into scientism and virtual technology uber alles. Many of them are bullied and become violent misfits and mass shooters, thanks to the new massacre tools the Republicans have given them. These lonely, alienated young people have nowhere to turn and little opportunity. It's all of a piece. But the cycle will turn again, and by the 2040s if someone says younger people are attractive, he won't be subject to insults like I am today by Gen X cynics like Hintergrund. It was not long ago on the old T4T forum that someone called me a pedo because I liked Justin Bieber. She and others were so closed off to what good music sounds like that they could not imagine that a young pop star could make any good music, and were unable to hear it just because he was young.

And yes, I am a boomer and I have some millennial friends (and not necessarily just to be my political "tools"). I like to associate with younger people if I can, as well as those my own age (broadly speaking, I have many "Joneser" and Xer friends too) or even older who are still somewhat hip to the awakening times. It was a noticable trend not long ago that society was becoming age-irrelevant.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(11-12-2019, 10:35 AM)David Horn Wrote:
(11-11-2019, 11:04 AM)Warren Dew Wrote:

That's a characteristic of all dominant gens.  It's easy to get away with murder if you're part of the biggest gang on the street -- witness Mafia Don from the last dominant gen.

Interesting characteristic to point out. Dominant gens set more trends, and that does not necessarily have to include murder or other crime, but could include behavior that other gens don't approve of. Not that I think acting like you're younger or even prepubescent is necessarily a bad thing. Conformity may be a virtue for some, but it's not one that I usually agree with (I agree with prophet-gen leader and namesake Ralph Waldo Emerson instead, as I often do). But millennials are at least 16 years old now.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(11-12-2019, 03:47 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(11-11-2019, 06:01 AM)taramarie Wrote: Well in the past he was actually defending feeling people up without consent and condemning defending oneself against those advances. But I doubt he is a pedo. He is just very much behind in the times. Stuck in the 60s.

We clearly are in a repressive trend now about these subjects. That's just what S&H predicted. Back in the last 4T, in the times in which Lee Harvey Oswald grew up, there was little chance for any affection or connection to happen. Children were often seen but not heard. Sex was so repressed that deviation and sexual abuse was very common, and very hidden. There was no human potential movement or new age therapies around to help people who felt alienated and lonely. Touchy-feeley attitudes didn't even exist. 

Now we are going back in that direction again. Hintergrund seems all in favor of this, to the point that he has to read his GenX cynicism into a popular philosophy book about integrating romanticism and rationalism and opening up to intuition. Touchy-feeley is looked down upon and is a term of abuse. The therapeutic movements are drying up amid the millennial generation's retreat into scientism and virtual technology uber alles. Many of them are bullied and become violent misfits and mass shooters, thanks to the new massacre tools the Republicans have given them. These lonely, alienated young people have nowhere to turn and little opportunity. It's all of a piece. But the cycle will turn again, and by the 2040s if someone says younger people are attractive, he won't be subject to insults like I am today by Gen X cynics like Hintergrund. It was not long ago on the old T4T forum that someone called me a pedo because I liked Justin Bieber. She and others were so closed off to what good music sounds like that they could not imagine that a young pop star could make any good music, and were unable to hear it just because he was young.

And yes, I am a boomer and I have some millennial friends (and not necessarily just to be my political "tools"). I like to associate with younger people if I can, as well as those my own age (broadly speaking, I have many "Joneser" and Xer friends too) or even older who are still somewhat hip to the awakening times. It was a noticable trend not long ago that society was becoming age-irrelevant.

I am not that familiar with Justin Bieber but can we say that he is in the current time comparable to the likes of Elvis Presley in his time?
(11-12-2019, 05:51 PM)beechnut79 Wrote:
(11-11-2019, 06:16 AM)Hintergrund Wrote: Let's just say he's lucky to be far away behind some keyboard.

I am not that familiar with Justin Bieber but can we say that he is in the current time comparable to the likes of Elvis Presley in his time?

Some people say that. He certainly had a huge and fanatical fan following for a while, but he hasn't been as active recently. In that past you had to keep putting out hits to stay on top. That system ruined some artists, but Justin now is successful enough to be able to call the shots.

The song in my signature line link is his best song. I still find it remarkable.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(11-12-2019, 05:59 PM)taramarie Wrote:
(11-11-2019, 06:01 AM)taramarie Wrote: Well in the past he was actually defending feeling people up without consent and condemning defending oneself against those advances. But I doubt he is a pedo. He is just very much behind in the times. Stuck in the 60s.

Which makes it all the more interesting as to why Eric was literally defending a person who was feeling up kinsers partner and condemned his actions for punching the person who did not listen to being told NO.

I did not hear that it was his partner. I had the impression it was someone he saw from across the room in a crowd, not even knowing what was going on between the two. In this case it would be more like jealousy, or someone defending his partner from someone intruding on his relationship in a bad way. But violence is not legal any more than sexual assault is legal. Violence is often more harmful, in fact.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Millennials did not rebel against their parents the way Boomers did.
(11-13-2019, 09:40 AM)Bill the Piper Wrote: Millennials did not rebel against their parents the way Boomers did.

True and the reason for seems to be due to the quality relationships the parents inspired in and with their children.  It may be a singular triumph for the Boomer gen.
(11-12-2019, 05:51 PM)beechnut79 Wrote:
(11-11-2019, 06:16 AM)Hintergrund Wrote: Let's just say he's lucky to be far away behind some keyboard.

He is a yuge star, that's what they have in common. Other than Elvis, Bieber is stupid and boring, however.
(11-13-2019, 05:33 PM)David Horn Wrote:
(11-13-2019, 09:40 AM)Bill the Piper Wrote: Millennials did not rebel against their parents the way Boomers did.

True and the reason for seems to be due to the quality relationships the parents inspired in and with their children.  It may be a singular triumph for the Boomer gen.

And it's still based on their narcissism. Everything they do, have and make, is the best thing since Jesus. So naturally, their kids are the bestest kids ever, even if they're more like the product of incest. And if you dare to contradict them, you'll be considered evil by them.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Millennials are now 40!!! Cocoa_Puff 13 3,784 01-08-2022, 02:58 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Echo Boomers (1982-1991) vs Gen Katniss (1994-2003) RELFantastic 14 4,730 12-16-2021, 10:58 AM
Last Post: Anthony '58
  Why 2001-2003 is the cusp between Millennials and New Adaptives RELFantastic 14 5,492 08-19-2021, 09:00 AM
Last Post: Eric the Green
  Millennials and GenZ horribly misidentified NobodyImportant 111 50,207 01-11-2020, 12:00 AM
Last Post: Warren Dew
  Silents vs Boomers Bill the Piper 20 11,569 02-06-2019, 10:48 AM
Last Post: Hintergrund
  Biggest share of whites in U.S. are Boomers, but for minority groups it’s Millennials Dan '82 2 3,969 07-08-2016, 11:17 AM
Last Post: The Wonkette