Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Obituaries
Major figure in the Chinese atom bomb

Cheng Kaijia (simplified Chinese: 程开甲; traditional Chinese: 程開甲; pinyin: Chéng Kāijiǎ; 3 August 1918 – 17 November 2018) was a Chinese nuclear physicist and engineer. He was a pioneer and key figure in Chinese nuclear weapon development. He is known as one of the founding fathers of Two Bombs, One Satellite (Chinese: 两弹一星元勋).[1]

Cheng was born in Wujiang County, Jiangsu Province in 1918. He graduated from the Department of Physics of Zhejiang University in 1941. In 1946, he went to the United Kingdom to study at the University of Edinburgh, obtaining a PhD in 1948 under advisor Max Born.[2] He then became a researcher in the UK.

Cheng returned to China in 1950. He was an associate professor at Zhejiang University, he then went to Nanjing in 1952, where he became an associate professor in Nanjing University, and was later promoted to full professorship.

Cheng was a pioneer of Chinese nuclear technology and played an important role in the development of the first Chinese atomic bomb. He first calculated out the inner temperature and pressure for an atomic bomb blast in China. His calculation was an extremely heavy task and nearly manual, because during that time China did not have any computer or even calculator. He also solved the mechanism of the inner explosion, which could support the design of the bomb. He was the chief director for many nuclear weapon test fields/bases and their explosion processes.[3]

Cheng was elected to the Chinese Academy of Sciences. He was also a Standing Member of the Science and Technology Committee, Chinese National Nuclear Industry Corporation. He was former Vice-President of the Nuclear Weapons Research Institute, and the Deputy Chief Director of the Nuclear Weapons Research Institute, People's Republic of China. [4]

In 1999, he was awarded "Two Bombs and One Satellite Meritorious Award" for his contribution on atomic bomb and hydrogen bomb. In July 2017, Chairman Xi Jinping awarded Cheng the Order of August First, the highest military award of People's republic of China.[5]
He died on 17 November 2018, three months after his 100th birthday.[6]

More at Wikipedia
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Great hockey player.

Daniel Charles "Snowshoes" Maloney (September 24, 1950 – November 20, 2018) was an ice hockey left winger in the National Hockey League (NHL) and NHL coach.

Drafted 14th overall by the Chicago Black Hawks in the 1970 NHL Entry Draft, Maloney played two seasons for the Blackhawks and later played for the Los Angeles Kings, Detroit Red Wings and Toronto Maple Leafs tallying 192 goals, 259 assists and 451 points in 737 games over the course of his playing career. Upon retiring as a player he was offered an assistant coach position with the Maple Leafs in 1982, and promoted to head coach in 1984. He coached two seasons with the Leafs, then coached three more years as head coach of the Winnipeg Jets.

Maloney is also known as having had one of the hardest right-hand punches in his day, and is considered by many hockey fans to have been the greatest fighter (along with the Flyers' Dave Schultz) in NHL history. The two finally squared off in a fight in a game in Los Angeles on January 4, 1975, with Maloney considered the winner. But Maloney was more than a fighter, as he tallied 27 goals in back to back seasons (1974–75 and 1975–76). Maloney was part of the trade that sent Marcel Dionne from Detroit to the Los Angeles Kings. Schultz was traded to the Kings a year later to replace Maloney as their enforcer. Maloney's death was announced on November 20, 2018; he was 68.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Maloney
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

I wonder if there is anything more to this death than we see:

Colonel general Igor Valentinovich Korobov (И́горь Валенти́нович Ко́робов, 3 August 1956 – 21 November 2018) was the Chief of the Main Directorate of the General Staff of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation, Russia's military intelligence agency previously known as the GRU.

Igor Korobov was born in Vyazma, a town in Russia's Smolensk Oblast, on 3 August 1956.[1][2] In 1977, Korobov graduated with honors from the Stavropol Higher Military Aviation School for Pilots and Navigators, North Caucasus Military District, as an officer in the Soviet Air Forces.[3][2]

Korobov served as head of the Strategic Intelligence Directorate (Upravlenie strategicheskoi razvedky).[4][5] He was appointed by president Vladimir putin to head the military intelligence directorate (GU) following the sudden death of Igor Sergun in January 2016.[6][7]
On 29 December 2016, Korobov was one of the individuals sanctioned by the United States Department of the Treasury for "malicious cyber-enabled activities" threatening the national security of the United States.[1][8] Nevertheless, he officially visited the U.S., along with other Russia′s top security chiefs, at the end of January 2018.[9]

He died on 21 November 2018, "after a long and serious illness", according to sources in the Russian defence ministry cited by state-run agencies.[10][11][12]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igor_Korobov

One of the last survivors of the infamous Tulsa Race Riot of 1921

Olivia J. Hooker (February 12, 1915 – November 21, 2018) was the first African-American woman to have entered the U.S. Coast Guard, which she did in February 1945, and a psychologist and professor.[3][4] She became a SPAR (Semper Paratus Always Ready), a member of the United States Coast Guard Women's Reserve, during World War II.[5] She earned the rank of Yeoman, Second Class, during her service.[6] She served in the Coast Guard until her unit disbanded in mid-1946.[7] Later, she went on to become a psychologist and a professor at Fordham University.[8]

Hooker was born Olivia J. Hooker in Muskogee, Oklahoma on February 12, 1915.[9] Ku Klux Klan members ransacked her home during the Tulsa Massacre of Black Wall Street of 1921 while she hid under a table with her three siblings.[3][10] Hooker later was a founder of the Tulsa Race Riot Commission in hopes of demanding reparations for the riot's survivors.[6] In 2003, she was among survivors of the riot to file an unsuccessful federal lawsuit seeking reparations.[11]

After the riots, Hooker's family moved to Columbus, Ohio where she earned her Bachelor of Arts in 1937 from Ohio State University. While at OSU, she joined the Delta Sigma Theta sorority where she advocated for African-American women to be admitted to the navy.[12] 10 years later in 1947, she received her Masters from the Teachers College of Columbia University. In 1961, she received her PhD in psychology from the University of Rochester.[13]

Hooker applied to the Women Accepted for Volunteer Emergency Service (WAVES) of the U.S. Navy, but was rejected due to her ethnicity.[13] She disputed the rejection due to a technicality and Hooker was accepted. However, she had already decided to join the Coast Guard.[14] She entered the U.S. Coast Guard in February 1945. On March 9, 1945, Hooker went to basic training for six weeks in Manhattan Beach, Brooklyn, New York where Coast Guard Women's Reserve (SPARS) had to attend class and pass exams. She was one of only five African-American females to first enlist in the SPAR program. After basic training, Hooker specialized in the yeoman rate and remained at boot camp for an additional nine weeks before heading to Boston.[14] Here, she performed administrative duties and earned the rank of Yeoman Second Class in the Coast Guard Women's Reserve.[11] In June 1946, the SPAR program was disbanded and Hooker earned the rank of petty officer 2nd class and a Good Conduct Award.[14]

Hooker retired at age 87.[6] She joined the Coast Guard Auxiliary at age 95[3] and served as a volunteer in Yonkers, New York until her death in 2018.[17]

On Monday, February 9, 2015, Kirsten Gillibrand spoke in Congress about Hooker to "pay tribute" to Hooker.[18]
In the same year, the Olivia Hooker Dining Facility on the Staten Island coast guard facility was named in her honor.[19][3] A training facility at the Coast Guard's headquarters in Washington, D.C. was also named after her that same year.[20] On May 20, 2015, President Barack Obama recognized the Coast Guard service and legacy of Olivia Hooker while in attendance at the 134th Commencement of the United States Coast Guard Academy.[21]

On November 11, 2018, Google honored her by telling her story as part of a Google Doodle for the Veterans Day holiday.

On November 21, 2018, Hooker died in White Plains, New York of natural causes at the age of 103.[22]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olivia_Hooker

Director Bernardo Bertolucci

Bernardo Bertolucci (Italian: [berˈnardo bertoˈluttʃi]; 16 March 1941 – 26 November 2018) was an Italian director and screenwriter, whose films include The Conformist, Last Tango in Paris, 1900, The Last Emperor (for which he won the Academy Award for Best Director and the Academy Award for Best Adapted Screenplay), The Sheltering Sky, Little Buddha, Stealing Beauty and The Dreamers. In recognition of his work, he was presented with the inaugural Honorary Palme d'Or Award at the opening ceremony of the 2011 Cannes Film Festival.[2] From 1979 until his death in 2018, he was married to screenwriter Clare Peploe.[3]

More at Wikipedia.

[url=the creator of Spongebob Squarepants][/url]
the creator of Spongebob Squarepants

Stephen McDannell Hillenburg (August 21, 1961 – November 26, 2018) was an American animator, cartoonist, and marine biology teacher. He was the creator of the Nickelodeon animated television series SpongeBob SquarePants (1999–), which he also directed, produced, and wrote. It has gone on to become the fifth longest-running American animated series.

Born in Lawton, Oklahoma, and raised in Anaheim, California, Hillenburg became fascinated with the ocean as a child and developed an interest in art. He started his professional career in 1984, instructing marine biology, at the Orange County Marine Institute, where he wrote The Intertidal Zone, an informative comic book about tide-pool animals, which he used to educate his students. In 1989, two years after leaving teaching, Hillenburg enrolled at the California Institute of the Arts to pursue a career in animation. He was later offered a job on the Nickelodeon animated television series Rocko's Modern Life (1993–1996) after his success with short films The Green Beret and Wormholes (both 1992), which he made while studying animation.

After graduating from college, Hillenburg held various jobs in 1984, including as a park service attendant in Utah and an art director in San Francisco, before landing the job he wanted: teaching children.[8] He hoped to work in a national park on the coast,[12] and eventually found a job at the Orange County Marine Institute (now known as the Ocean Institute),[12] an organization in Dana Point, California, dedicated to educating the public about marine science and maritime history.[19] Hillenburg was a marine-biology teacher there for three years:[4][5][20] "We taught tide-pool ecology, nautical history, diversity and adaptation. Working there, I saw how enamored kids are with undersea life, especially with tide-pool creatures."[10][21] He stayed at the Dana Point Marina[14] and was also a staff artist.[8][16][22] Although "t was a great experience" for him,[12] during this period, Hillenburg realized he was more interested in art than his chosen profession.[20]

While working there one of the educational directors asked him if he would be interested in creating an educational comic book about the animal life of tidal pools.[8][12][23] He created a comic called [i]The Intertidal Zone, which he used to teach his students.[23] It featured anthropomorphic forms of sea life, many of which would evolve into SpongeBob SquarePants characters[24]—including "Bob the Sponge", the comic's co-host, who resembled an actual sea sponge, as opposed to his later SpongeBob SquarePants character, who resembles a kitchen sponge.[25] He tried to get the comic published, but the publishers he approached turned him down.[8][12]
[/i]
At one point during his tenure with the Orange County Marine Institute, Hillenburg started going to animation festivals such as the International Tournée of Animation and Spike and Mike's Festival of Animation where films made by California Institute of the Arts (colloquially called CalArts) students were shown.[8][13] He determined that he wanted to pursue a career in that field.[8][13] Hillenburg had planned to take a master's degree in art, but instead of "going back to school for painting",[8] he left his job in 1987 to become an animator.[24][25]

In 1989,[12] Hillenburg enrolled in the Experimental Animation Program at CalArts.[5][24][25] About this decision, he said: "Changing careers like that is scary, but the irony is that animation is a pretty healthy career right now and science education is more of a struggle."[26] He studied under Jules Engel,[27][28] the founding director of the program,[28][29] whom he considers his "Art Dad" and mentor.[28][30][31] Engel accepted him into the program impressed by [i]The Intertidal Zone.[8][25] Hillenburg said, "[Engel] also was a painter, so I think he saw my paintings and could easily say, 'Oh, this guy could fit in to this program.' I don't have any [prior experience in] animation really."[8] Hillenburg graduated in 1992,[5][10] earning a Master of Fine Arts in experimental animation.[5] [/i]

Hillenburg made his first animated works, short films The Green Beret and Wormholes (both 1992[32]), while at CalArts.[4][5][6][26] The Green Beret was about a physically challenged Girl Scout with enormous fists who toppled houses and destroyed neighborhoods while trying to sell Girl Scout cookies.[4][5][6] Wormholes was his seven-minute thesis film,[25][33] about the theory of relativity.[4][5][33] He described it as "a poetic animated film based on relativistic phenomena", in his grant proposal in 1991 to the Princess Grace Foundation,[34] which assists emerging artists in American theater, dance, and film.[35] The foundation agreed to fund the effort, providing Hillenburg with a Graduate Film Scholarship.[34][36] "It meant a lot. They funded one of the projects I'm most proud of, even with SpongeBob. It provided me the opportunity just to make a film that was personal, and what I would call independent, and free of some of the commercial needs," he said in 2003.[34] Wormholes was shown at several international animation festivals,[26][34] including the Annecy International Animated Film Festival, the Hiroshima International Animation Festival, the Los Angeles International Animation Celebration, the International Short Film Festival Oberhausen,[37] and the Ottawa International Animation Festival,[38] where it won Best Concept.[39] LA Weekly labeled the film "road-trippy" and "Zap-comical",[40] while Manohla Dargis of The New York Times opined that it was inventive.[29]

Hillenburg explains that "anything goes" in experimental animation. Although this allowed him to explore alternatives to conventional methods of filmmaking, he still ventured to employ "an industry style"; he prefers to traditionally animate his films (where each frame is drawn by hand) rather than, for instance, make cartoons "out of sand by filming piles of sand changing".[8] Hillenburg had at least one other short film that he made as an animation student but its title is unspecified.[13][22]

Spongebob Squarepants

Some evidence shows that the idea for SpongeBob SquarePants dates back to 1986, during Hillenburg's time at the Orange County Marine Institute.[45] He indicated that children's television series such as The New Adventures of Mighty Mouse (1987–1988) and Pee-wee's Playhouse (1986–1991) "sparked something in [him]." He continued, "I don't know if this is true for everybody else, but it always seems like, for me, I'll start thinking about something and it takes about ten years to actually have it happen, or have someone else believe in it... It took me a few years to get [SpongeBob SquarePants] together."[22]

During the production of Rocko's Modern Life, Martin Olson, one of the writers, read The Intertidal Zone and encouraged Hillenburg to create a television series with a similar concept. At that point, he had not even considered creating his own series:[8] "After watching Joe [Murray] tear his hair out a lot, dealing with all the problems that came up, I thought I would never want to produce a show of my own."[42] However, he realized that if he ever did, this would be the best approach:[8][25][46] "For all those years it seemed like I was doing these two totally separate things. I wondered what it all meant. I didn't see a synthesis. It was great when [my two interests] all came together in [a show]. I felt relieved that I hadn't wasted a lot of time doing something that I then abandoned to do something else. It has been pretty rewarding," Hillenburg said in 2002.[5] He claimed that he finally decided to create a series as he was driving to the beach on the Santa Monica Freeway one day.[42]

As he was developing the show's concept, Hillenburg remembered his teaching experience at the Orange County Marine Institute and how mesmerized children were by tide-pool animals, including crabs, octopuses, starfish, and sponges.[4][5][42] It came to him that the series should take place underwater, with a focus on those creatures: "I wanted to create a small town underwater where the characters were more like us than like fish. They have fire. They take walks. They drive. They have pets and holidays."[42] It suited what Hillenburg liked for a show, "something that was fantastic but believable."[42] He also wanted his series to stand out from most popular cartoons of the time exemplified by buddy comedies such as The Ren & Stimpy Show (1991–1995). As a result, he decided to focus on one main character: the weirdest sea creature that he could think of. This led him to the sponge:[8] "I wanted to do a show about a character that was an innocent, and so I focused on a sea sponge because it's a funny animal, a strange one."[43] In 1994,[16] Hillenburg began to further develop some characters from The Intertidal Zone,[8][16] including Bob the Sponge.[8]

Bob the Sponge is the comic's "announcer".[8] He resembles an actual sea sponge, and at first Hillenburg continued this design[8][22][25][47] because it "was the correct thing to do biologically as a marine-science teacher."[42] In determining the new character's personality, he drew inspiration from innocent, childlike figures that he enjoyed, such as Charlie Chaplin, Laurel and Hardy, Jerry Lewis, and Pee-wee Herman.[45][8][22][48] He then considered modeling the character after a kitchen sponge, and realized that this idea would match the character's square personality perfectly:[8][22][25] "t looked so funny. I think as far as cartoon language goes he was easier to recognize. He seemed to fit the character type I was looking for—a somewhat nerdy, squeaky clean oddball."[42][49] To voice the central character of the series, Hillenburg turned to Tom Kenny, whose career in animation had begun with his on [i]Rocko's Modern Life. Elements of Kenny's own personality were employed in further developing the character.[50][51][/i]

In 1997, while pitching the cartoon to executives at Nickelodeon, Hillenburg donned a Hawaiian shirt, brought along an "underwater terrarium with models of the characters", and played Hawaiian music to set the theme. Nickelodeon executive Eric Coleman described the setup as "pretty amazing".[25] Although Derek Drymon, creative director of [i]SpongeBob SquarePants, described the pitch as stressful, he said it went "very well".[25] Nickelodeon approved and gave Hillenburg money to produce the show.[52] [/i]

(from Wikipedia)

Updated at 7:05 a.m. ET (NPR)

Quote:George Herbert Walker Bush died Friday at the age of 94.

George W. Bush released a statement, saying for himself and his siblings, "Jeb, Neil, Marvin, Doro, and I are saddened to announce that after 94 remarkable years, our dear Dad has died."

"George H.W. Bush was a man of the highest character and the best dad a son or daughter could ask for," he said. "The entire Bush family is deeply grateful for 41's life and love, for the compassion of those who have cared and prayed for Dad, and for the condolences of our friends and fellow citizens."

There were fears that after his wife, Barbara, died in April, Bush might die, too. He was admitted to the hospital with a blood infection on April 23, one day after the funeral for the former first lady, and remained there for 13 days. He also spent time in the hospital in May and June, but lived to be the first former president to reach the age of 94.

Bush was the patriarch of a political dynasty that included one son who served as president, another as a governor and a grandson who currently holds statewide office in Texas.

more at National Public Radio

Gorbachev, 87, was speaking after Bush, the 41st president of the United States, died on Friday at the age of 94.

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Mikhail Gorbachev, the last Soviet leader, on Saturday hailed the late George H.W. Bush’s role in helping end the Cold War and an arms race between the United States and the Soviet Union.

Bush held talks with Gorbachev before the Soviet Union collapsed in 1991 and signed a landmark arm control agreement with him that significantly cut both countries’ nuclear arsenals.

“Many of my memories are linked to him. We happened to work together in years of great changes. It was a dramatic time demanding huge responsibility from everyone. The result was the end of the Cold War and the nuclear arms race,” Russia’s Interfax news agency cited Gorbachev as saying.

“I pay tribute to George Bush’s contribution toward this historic achievement. He was a genuine partner.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-peopl...ce=twitter

Comedic actor Ken Berry.

Kenneth Ronald Berry (November 3, 1933 – December 1, 2018) was an American actor, dancer and singer. Berry starred on the television series F Troop, The Andy Griffith Show, Mayberry R.F.D. and Mama's Family. He also appeared on Broadway in The Billy Barnes Revue, headlined as George M. Cohan in the musical George M! and provided comic relief for the medical drama Dr. Kildare, with Richard Chamberlain in the 1960s.

(He is best known for television, so I extract this segment from Wikipedia).

Arthur Godfrey's Talent Scouts was a prime time television talent contest, that ran from 1946 to 1958. The winner got a week's work on Godfrey's morning television program, which was simulcast on radio. Berry won in 1957, performed his week on the show, and was then asked back for six more weeks. He traveled with Godfrey and performed on remote broadcasts in an Omaha stock yard, in Seattle at a lumber camp, at the Boeing aircraft plant, and at the San Diego Zoo. Berry came up with a new routine for every show, which aired daily.[1]

[Image: 225px-Carol_Burnett_Once_Upon_a_Mattress_1972.JPG]
Ken Berry and Carol Burnett in Once Upon a Mattress in 1972

The Billy Barnes Review was popular with Hollywood, and one evening Carol Burnett was in Los Angeles and saw Berry in the show. She was appearing on The Garry Moore Show in New York and convinced the producers to sign Berry as a guest star. Burnett became a key ally for Berry, using him on her own special, which eventually became CBS's The Carol Burnett Show. Ken was one of Burnett's most frequent guest stars along with Jim Nabors and Steve Lawrence. In 1972, Ken and Carol appeared together in the 1972 color remake of Burnett's Broadway hit, Once Upon A Mattress for CBS.[2]

A notable dramatic performance by Berry was 1982's TV movie Eunice, which was based on The Carol Burnett Show sketch, The Family. The Family was somewhat of a pilot for Mama's Family. Berry played Phillip, Eunice's brother, in the special; however he went on to play Vinton, a different brother, on Mama's Family.

His collaboration with Carol Burnett continued with the 1993 Long Beach theatrical production of From the Top.[2]

The Billy Barnes Review also led to another important connection in his career when he was spotted by Lucille Ball. Ball quickly asked him to join her new talent development program at Desilu, similar to the "talent pools" – known as talent "programs" – that the other studios had. He was under contract with Desilu for six months, performing for both Ball and Barnes at the same time. The reviews for The Billy Barnes Review were largely positive, and additional investors contributed the extra money needed to move the show from the York Playhouse to Broadway,[3] which meant he had to take leave from Desilu.

After returning from New York in 1960, Berry was brought back to Desilu to play Woody, a bell hop, in ten episodes of CBS's The Ann Sothern Show which was set in a New York hotel called the Bartley House. The character Woody served as a "Greek chorus of one" on the series.

In 1968, Ball asked Berry to guest star on The Lucy Show, where he played a bank client needing a loan to start a dance studio. He performed a tribute to the Fred Astaire number "Steppin' Out with My Baby" and a duet with Ball for a rendition of "Lucy's Back in Town".

After numerous smaller roles, Berry was cast as one of three comic relief characters on Dr. Kildare, from 1961 to 1966. A regular on the series, Berry played Dr. Kapish. He also had a role on The Dick Van Dyke Show as a dance instructor several times.
F-Troop and Mayberry R.F.D.

[Image: 225px-Andy_Griffith_Ken_Berry_Mayberry_RFD_1968.JPG]
Ken Berry, Andy Griffith and Buddy Foster in Mayberry R.F.D., 1968

Berry continued doing guest roles, but while performing a small part on the short-lived George Burns-Connie Stevens sitcom Wendy & Me, both Burns and Stevens recommended him for the pilot of F-Troop for ABC, a western spoof where he played the accident-prone Captain Parmenter—his first weekly role starring in a sitcom.

Berry's co-stars were Forrest Tucker and Larry Storch. Berry called his time on F-Troop "two years of recess"[1] as the entire cast spent time between takes trying to make each other laugh. His grace and agility allowed him to perform choreographed pratfalls over hitching posts, sabers, and trash cans.

In 1967, during the second year of F-Troop, Dick Linke – who was Berry's manager, and also managed Andy Griffith and Jim Nabors – pitched an F-Troop stage show to Bill Harrah, founder of Harrah's Entertainment, which included a casino and hotel in Reno, Nevada. Harrah went for it, and Berry, Larry Storch, Forrest Tucker, and James Hampton put together a show, hiring writers and a choreographer to assist. While performing the Reno show they received word that F-Troop had been canceled due to a financial dispute between the production company and the studio.

The next year Berry was cast in the featured role of Sam Jones, a widowed farmer, on the last few episodes of The Andy Griffith Show. He took the lead role on the spin-off Mayberry R.F.D.. In September 1968, Berry led the cast of Mayberry R.F.D., as Griffith's character receded. Most of the regular characters stayed with the show. Andy and wife Helen left after a few episodes into season two. Series writers used Berry's "trouper" talents in stories about church revues and talent contests. On the 1970 Mayberry R.F.D. episode "The Charity", he and co-star Paul Hartman performed a soft shoe routine. Berry sometimes ended a show on the porch at dusk, serenading others with such songs as "Carolina Moon". In spite of finishing 15th place for season three, Mayberry R.F.D. was canceled in 1971 in what was called "the rural purge", where shows set in a bucolic locale (The Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres, and Petticoat Junction) were replaced with the more "hip" fare of Norman Lear (All In The Family) and The Mary Tyler Moore Show.
After Mayberry R.F.D., Berry starred in several made-for-TV movies, and his own summer replacement variety show on ABC called The Ken Berry 'Wow' Show in 1972, which ran for five episodes. This show was an launching pad for future stars Steve Martin, Cheryl Ladd and Teri Garr.

In 1973 Sherwood Schwartz wrote a Brady Bunch spin-off called Kelly's Kids, which featured Berry as the adoptive father of three diverse boys (black, white, and Asian). The pilot failed to interest ABC.

Over the next two decades Berry guest starred on many shows, including The Bob Newhart Show, The Julie Andrews Hour, several Mitzi Gaynor specials, The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour, The Donny & Marie Show, Love Boat, Fantasy Island, CHiPs, and The Golden Girls.

Mama's Family

In 1983, Berry was cast as Vinton Harper in Mama's Family, a spin-off from The Carol Burnett Show with comic actors including Vicki Lawrence, Dorothy Lyman, Rue McClanahan, Betty White, and Beverly Archer during six seasons of the show. Mama's Family aired on NBC from 1983 to 1984 and in repeats until 1985. It was then picked up for first-run syndication from 1986 to 1990. The run totaled 130 episodes.

During and after Mama's Family, Berry toured the U.S. in various theatrical performances, including multiple performances of Sugar with co-stars such as Donald O'Connor, Mickey Rooney, Soupy Sales, and Bobby Morse, The Music Man with Susan Watson (Patrick Swayze and Lisa Niemi were in the chorus), I Do! I Do! with Loretta Swit, and Gene Kelly's A Salute to Broadway with Howard Keel and Mimi Hines. Kelly, who was Berry's idol, was set to direct the production, but fell ill.[1]

And if this doesn't jerk a tear from you, you probably lack a soul:

Sully, the service dog of former President George H.W. Bush, spent Sunday night lying before Bush's flag-draped casket in Houston.
Jim McGrath, spokesman for the Bush family, tweeted out a photo on Sunday night, captioning it "mission complete."
Jeb Bush retweeted the image, adding "Sully has the watch."

CNN reported that Sully would travel with the casket to Washington, D.C., where several days of remembrance ceremonies are being held. Sully, a 2-year-old yellow Labrador retriever, is named after the pilot Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger III, who on Jan. 15, 2009, landed a passenger plane in the Hudson River after hitting a flock of geese. He was portrayed by Tom Hanks in a movie about the incident.
Sully became the late president's service dog in June, a couple of months after former first lady Barbara Bush died.
The yellow Lab was trained by America's VetDogs, which places service dogs and guide dogs with veterans, active-duty service members and first responders.

[Image: ap_18337515313561_wide-9b20374e694cb7ab8...00-c85.jpg]

Bush had a form of Parkinson's disease that caused slow movements and difficulty balancing, among other symptoms. He frequently used a wheelchair toward the end of his life, and Sully provided assistance with daily life.
"Sully could open doors, pick up items and summon help," The Associated Press reported.
According to Sully's Instagram account, he also spent a lot of time frolicking on the beach and playing fetch.

After Bush's funeral ceremonies are over, Sully will join the facility dog program at the Walter Reed National Military Medical Center in Bethesda, Md., reported TV station KTRK in Houston. There, he will help wounded veterans and service members during their recovery.
George H.W. Bush and Barbara Bush were noted dog lovers.

During their time in the White House, the presidential pets were Millie, a springer spaniel, and later one of Millie's puppies, named Ranger.
(Spot, the White House pet of George W. Bush, was also a puppy of Millie's.)
Millie was famously referenced during the 1992 presidential campaign, when Bush said, of Bill Clinton and Al Gore, "My dog Millie knows more about foreign affairs than these two bozos."

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/03/672852640...his-casket

The last living person to play at a major-league level before the Pearl Harbor attack has died at the age of 100.

Frederick John Caligiuri (October 22, 1918 — November 30, 2018) was a pitcher in Major League Baseball who played during 1941 and 1942 for the Philadelphia Athletics. Listed at 6' 0", 190 lb., he batted and threw right-handed.

A native of West Hickory, Pennsylvania, Caligiuri was one of many major leaguers who saw his baseball career interrupted by a stint in the United States Army during World War II. A late-season 1941 call-up from Wilmington of the Interstate League, he entered the baseball record books while starting the last game of the season against the Boston Red Sox at Shibe Park. It was the game in which Ted Williams finished the season with a .406. batting average, the most recent .400 average in the majors. Williams went 2-for-3 against Caligiuri, who did not yield a run until the ninth inning, and finished with a complete game, six-hit, 7–1 victory over Lefty Grove and the Red Sox. This game also marked the last start for Grove, who retired before the 1942 season.

Over parts of two seasons, Caligiuri posted a 2-5 record with a 4.52 ERA in 18 appearances, including seven starts, giving up 49 runs (nine unearned) on 90 hits and 32 walks while striking out 27 in 79 ⅔ innings of work. From 1943 to 1945 Caligiuri served in the military during World War II.[1] He was the last surviving retired MLB player who made his debut prior to the Pearl Harbor attack/US involvement in WWII.

Caligiuri died in Charlotte, North Carolina on November 30, 2018.[2] Caligiuri was recognized as the oldest living major league ballplayer until his death, with Tom Jordan succeeding him. His wife of 73 years, Anne, died on October 11, 2014.[3] [4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Caligiuri

From Wikipedia:  only 21 living major-league baseball players remain from the GI Generation. The last living member of the GI generation in the Major League Baseball Hall of Fame (Red Schoendienst) died this year.

[/url]

Lyudmila Mikhaylovna Alexeyeva (Russian: Людми́ла Миха́йловна Алексе́ева, IPA: [lʲʊˈdmʲilə ɐlʲɪˈksʲeɪvə], 20 July 1927 – 8 December 2018[1]) was a Russian historian, leading human rights activist, founding member of the Moscow Helsinki Watch Group,[2] and one of the last Soviet dissidents still active in modern Russia.[3]

In April 1968, Alexeyeva was expelled from the Communist Party and fired from her job at the publishing house. Nonetheless, she continued her activities in defense of human rights. In 1968–1972 she worked clandestinely as a typist for the first underground bulletin The Chronicle of Current Events devoted to human rights violations in the USSR.[4]

In February 1977 Alexeyeva was forced to emigrate from the USSR. She and her family settled in the United States, where she continued her human rights activities as a foreign representative of the Moscow Helsinki Group. She became a US citizen in 1982.[5]. She regularly wrote on the Soviet dissident movement for both English and Russian language publications in the US and elsewhere, and in 1985 she published the first comprehensive monograph on the history of the movement, Soviet Dissent (Wesleyan University Press).[6] In addition, after moving to the United States, Alexeyeva took up freelance radio journalism for Radio Liberty and the Russian language section of the Voice of America. In 1990 she published The Thaw Generation, an autobiography that described the formation of the Soviet dissident movement and was co-written with Paul Goldberg.[7]

In 1989 she again joined the Moscow Helsinki Group that was restarted after its dissolution in 1981. In 1993, after the dissolution of the Soviet Union, she returned to Russia, and she became a Chairperson of the Moscow Helsinki Group in 1996. In 2000, Alexeyeva joined a commission set up to advise President Vladimir Putin on human rights issues, a move that triggered criticism from some other rights activists.[3]

Alexeyeva has been critical of the Kremlin’s human rights record and accused the government of numerous human rights violations including the regular prohibitions of non-violent meetings and demonstrations and encouragement of extremists with its nationalistic policies, such as the mass deportations of Georgians in 2006 and police raids against foreigners working in street markets.[8] She has also criticized the law enforcers’ conduct in Ingushetia and has warned that growing violence in the republic may spread to the whole Russian Federation.[9] In 2006, she was accused by the Russian authorities of involvement with British intelligence and received threats from nationalist groups.[8][10]

Since August 31, 2009, Alexeyeva has been an active participant in Strategy-31 – the regular protest rallies of citizens on Moscow’s Triumphalnaya Square in defense of the 31st Article (On the Freedom of Assembly) of the Russian Constitution. Since October 31, 2009, she has been one of the regular organizers of these rallies. On December 31, 2009, during one of these attempted protests, Alexeyeva was detained by the riot police (OMON) and taken with scores of others to a police station. This event provoked strong reaction in Russia and abroad. Jerzy Buzek, the President of the European Parliament, was “deeply disappointed and shocked” at the treatment of Alexeyeva and others by the police.[11] The National Security Council of the United States expressed “dismay” at the detentions.[12] The New York Times published a front-page article about the protest rally (“Tested by Many Foes, Passion of a Russian Dissident Endures”).[13]

On March 30, 2010, Lyudmila was assaulted on live television in the Park Kultury metro station by a man as she was paying respect to the victims of the 2010 Moscow Metro Bombings.[14][15] At the Lake Seliger youth camp,[16][17][18][19][20] the Nashi youth movement branded her "a Nazi" and one of Russia's worst enemies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyudmila_Alexeyeva

Penny Marshall, 75, best known as "Laverne" of "Laverne and Shirley".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penny_Marshall

Peter Masterson (June 1, 1934 - December 19, 2018) was an American actor, director, producer and writer.

Masterson often worked with his cousin, writer Horton Foote. Acting from the mid-1960s to the mid-1980s, including 1975's The Stepford Wives as Walter Eberhart, since then he has concentrated mostly on directing and producing. The actress Mary Stuart Masterson is his daughter and she appeared with her father in The Stepford Wives as one of the Eberharts' daughters.
His other acting credits include roles in Ambush Bay (1966), In the Heat of the Night (1967), Counterpoint (1968), Von Richthofen and Brown (1971), Tomorrow (1972), The Exorcist (1973), Man on a Swing (1974) and Gardens of Stone (1987).

Masterson co-wrote (with Larry L. King) the books for the hit musical The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas (1978)[1] and its short-lived sequel The Best Little Whorehouse Goes Public (1994).[2] In 1985 he directed The Trip to Bountiful, for which Geraldine Page won the Academy Award for Best Actress. His directing credits additionally include Full Moon in Blue Water (1988), Night Game (1989), Blood Red (1989), Convicts (1991), Arctic Blue (1993), The Only Thrill (1997), Lost Junction (2003) and Whiskey School (2005).

Masterson died on December 19, 2018 after suffering a fall at his home. He was 84.[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Masterson

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-46662546
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paddy_Ashdown

A British liberal, long-term leader of the Liberal Democratic Party (former Whigs).

He was praised for many quintessential Silent qualities: ability to cooperate and compromise, moderation and expertise.
Mathematician. I don't fully understand what is discussed, but it sounds important. Mathematics is the language of reality.

Elias Menachem Stein (January 13, 1931 – December 23, 2018) was an American mathematician, and a leading figure in the field of harmonic analysis. He was professor of Mathematics at Princeton University from 1963 until his death in 2018.

Stein was born in Antwerp, to Elkan Stein and Chana Goldman, Ashkenazi Jews from Belgium.[1] After the German invasion in 1940, the Stein family fled to the United States, first arriving in New York City.[1] He graduated from Stuyvesant High School in 1949,[1] where he was classmates with future Fields Medalist Paul Cohen,[2] before moving on to the University of Chicago for college. In 1955, Stein earned a Ph.D. from the University of Chicago under the direction of Antoni Zygmund. He began teaching in MIT in 1955, moved to the University of Chicago in 1958 as an assistant professor, and in 1963 became a full professor at Princeton.

Stein worked primarily in the field of harmonic analysis, and made contributions in both extending and clarifying Calderón–Zygmund theory. These include Stein interpolation (a variable-parameter version of complex interpolation), the Stein maximal principle (showing that under many circumstances, almost everywhere convergence is equivalent to the boundedness of a maximal function), Stein complementary series representations, Nikishin–Pisier–Stein factorization in operator theory, the Tomas–Stein restriction theorem in Fourier analysis, the Kunze–Stein phenomenon in convolution on semisimple groups, the Cotlar–Stein lemma concerning the sum of almost orthogonal operators, and the Fefferman–Stein theory of the Hardy space H 1 {\displaystyle H^{1}} [Image: 246d198ccb2f5e5488a7afd13093aab7b005139b] and the space B M O {\displaystyle BMO} [Image: 97f5ef9c87d15fee3be8f4660e55445466b63259] of functions of bounded mean oscillation.

He has written numerous books on harmonic analysis (see e.g. [1,3,5]), which are often cited as the standard references on the subject. His Princeton Lectures in Analysis series [6,7,8,9] were penned for his sequence of undergraduate courses on analysis at Princeton. Stein is also noted as having trained a high number of graduate students (he has had at least 52 students, according to the Mathematics Genealogy Project), so shaping modern Fourier analysis. They include two Fields medalists, Charles Fefferman and Terence Tao.
His honors include the Steele Prize (1984 and 2002), the Schock Prize in Mathematics (1993), the Wolf Prize in Mathematics (1999), and the National Medal of Science (2001). In addition, he has fellowships to National Science Foundation, Sloan Foundation, Guggenheim Foundation, and National Academy of Sciences. In 2005, Stein was awarded the Stefan Bergman prize in recognition of his contributions in real, complex, and harmonic analysis. In 2012 he became a fellow of the American Mathematical Society.[3]

In 1959, he married Elly Intrator,[1] a former Jewish refugee during World War II.[4] They had two children, Karen Stein and Jeremy C. Stein,[1] and grandchildren named Alison, Jason, and Carolyn. His son Jeremy is a professor of financial economics at Harvard, former adviser to Tim Geithner and Lawrence Summers, and was appointed to the Federal Reserve Board of Governors by President Barack Obama in 2011.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elias_M._Stein

An interesting, diverse trio of people who might otherwise be missed:

Wendy Beckett (25 February 1930 – 26 December 2018), better known as Sister Wendy, was a British religious sister,[1] hermit, consecrated virgin, and art historian[2] who became well known internationally during the 1990s when she presented a series of documentaries for the BBC on the history of art.[3] Her programmes, such as Sister Wendy's Odyssey and Sister Wendy's Grand Tour, often drew a 25 percent share of the British viewing audience.[4] In 1997, Sister Wendy made her US debut on public television and that same year The New York Times described her as "a sometime hermit who is fast on her way to becoming the most unlikely and famous art critic in the history of television."[1]

More at Wikipedia

Roy Jay Glauber (September 1, 1925 – December 26, 2018) was an American theoretical physicist. He was the Mallinckrodt Professor of Physics at Harvard University and Adjunct Professor of Optical Sciences at the University of Arizona. Born in New York City, he was awarded one half of the 2005 Nobel Prize in Physics "for his contribution to the quantum theory of optical coherence", with the other half shared by John L. Hall and Theodor W. Hänsch. In this work, published in 1963, he created a model for photodetection and explained the fundamental characteristics of different types of light, such as laser light (see coherent state) and light from light bulbs (see blackbody). His theories are widely used in the field of quantum optics.[5][6][7][8] In statistical physics he pioneered the study of the dynamics of first-order phase transitions, since he first defined and investigated the stochastic dynamics of a Ising model in a largely influential paper published in 1963.[9] He served on the National Advisory Board[10] of the Center for Arms Control and Non-Proliferation, the research arms of Council for a Livable World.

One never knows the consequences of science. Quantum optics? I don't understand it, but it might be profoundly useful.  Link to Wikipedia.

Sono Osato (August 29, 1919 – December 26, 2018) was an American dancer and actress of Japanese and European descent.[1] She was notable for performing with ballet groups Ballets Russe de Monte-Carlo and the American Ballet Theatre. An actress, she starred alongside Frank Sinatra in the film The Kissing Bandit

Osato began her career at the age of fourteen with Wassily de Basil's Ballets Russe de Monte-Carlo, which at the time was the world's most well known ballet company; she was the youngest member of the troupe, their first American dancer and their first dancer of Japanese descent.[1][5] De Basil tried to persuade Osato to change her name to a Russian name, but she refused to do so.[3] She spent six years touring the United States, Europe, Australia and South America with the company, leaving in 1941 as she felt her career was stagnating. She went to study at the School of American Ballet in New York City for six months, then joined the American Ballet Theatre (then Ballet Theatre) as a dancer.[1][3] While at the ABT, she danced roles in such ballets as Kenneth MacMillan's Sleeping Beauty, Antony Tudor's Pillar of Fire, and Bronislava Nijinska's The Beloved.[6][7]

[Image: 180px-Sono_Osato_in_Francesca_da_Rimini_...084%29.jpg]
Osato in Francesca da Rimini costume, 1930s

As a musical theater performer, her Broadway credits included principal dancer in One Touch of Venus (a performance for which she received a Donaldson Award in 1943), Ivy Smith in the original On the Town, and Cocaine Lil in Ballet Ballads.[8][9]
Following the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor in 1941, Osato was encouraged to change her name to something more "American", and for a short time she used her mother's maiden name and performed as Sono Fitzpatrick.[10] At around the same time, her father was arrested and detained in Chicago under the United States government's Japanese American Internment policy.[3][11] In 1942, when the Ballet Theatre toured Mexico, Osato was unable to join the tour as Japanese Americans were barred from leaving the country, and she had several months without work. She was also unable to perform in California and other parts of the western United States when the company toured there later in the same year, as these states were deemed military areas and were off-limits for people of Japanese descent.[3]

In the late 1940s and 1950s, Osato briefly pursued a career as an actress, appearing on Broadway in Peer Gynt, in the film The Kissing Bandit with Frank Sinatra, and in occasional guest appearances on television series such as, The Adventures of Ellery Queen (1950).[10][12]

In 1980, Osato published an autobiography titled Distant Dances.[13][14] In 2006, she founded the Sono Osato Scholarship Program in Graduate Studies at Career Transition For Dancers to help former dancers finance graduate work in both the professions and the liberal arts.[15][16] In 2016, Thodos Dance Company in Chicago presented a dance production based on her life, titled Sono's Journey.[5]

More at Wikipedia.

Two very different artists, one of animation and one with the cello:

Donald Lusk (October 28, 1913 – December 30, 2018[1]) was an American animator and director.

Don Lusk was hired by The Walt Disney Company in 1933.[2] Some of his more notable work included Pinocchio, Fantasia, Bambi, Song of the South, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, Lady and the Tramp, Sleeping Beauty and One Hundred and One Dalmatians.[3][4]
Lusk left Disney in 1960, but continued to work as an animator during the 1960s and 1970s. Aside from animation, Lusk also directed multiple cartoon films and series, most notably for various Peanuts TV specials and movies and for the Hanna-Barbera studio. His work at the latter included Scooby-Doo, The Flintstones, The Jetsons, The Smurfs and Tom and Jerry.[5]
In the early 1990s, Lusk retired after a career that spanned 60 years.[6]

More at Wikipedia

One has to be very good at what one does to work to age 80 or so.

Aldo Simoes Parisot[1] (September 30, 1918 – December 29, 2018) was a Brazilian-born American cellist and cello teacher. He was formerly a member of the Juilliard School faculty, and served as a music professor at the Yale School of Music for sixty years (1958 to July 2018).

Born in Natal, Brazil, Parisot began studying cello at age seven with his stepfather, Tomazzo Babini. From Babini, he learned the importance of playing without unnecessary tension—something he credits as the foundation for the rest of his career.[2] At the age of 12 he gave his professional debut as a cellist.[3] From there, he moved on to become principal cellist of the Brazilian Symphony Orchestra in Rio de Janeiro. During one of the concerts, Carleton Sprague Smith, the attaché to the American embassy was in attendance. Upon witnessing Parisot's performance of Brahms's Double Concerto with violinist Ricardo Odnoposoff, he proceeded to go backstage, and invited Parisot to attend a party thrown for Yehudi Menuhin. At the party, Smith told Parisot he would arrange for Parisot to study at the Curtis Institute of Music with Emanuel Feuermann.[2] However, Feuermann died unexpectedly on May 25, 1942, three months before Parisot's intended arrival in the US.[4]

Sometime later, Smith again approached Parisot, this time with an offer to pursue studies of music theory and chamber music at Yale University on scholarship. Accommodations were to be made such that Parisot could avoid taking lessons, as Feuermann was the only one Parisot was interested in studying with. Parisot accepted, and began at Yale in 1946. Parisot's theory professor at Yale was Paul Hindemith, with whom Parisot became close friends. However, after an argument concerning a missed rehearsal, the two got into a fight—Parisot exclaiming to Hindemith "You and your orchestra can go to hell!". A representative of the student union visited him and warned him that he could be deported. Hindemith and Parisot soon after resolved the misunderstanding.[2]

At age 26, during the start of his studies at Yale, he made his United States debut with the Boston Symphony Orchestra at the festival in Tanglewood. He embarked on his first European tour the following year. Following this he earned a degree from Yale School of Music and toured throughout the United States, Canada, and South America.[5] According to Margaret Campbell, in her book The Great Cellists,[6]

Parisot was a brilliant soloist, chamber musician and teacher who based his ideas on the playing of Emanuel Feuermann.

In the 1950s Parisot appeared in numerous solo concerts and soloed in many concertos with orchestras. During this time, he also premiered works by composers such as Heitor Villa-Lobos, Camargo Guarnieri, Jose Siqueira, Quincy Porter, Mel Powell, Claudio Santoro, Donald Martino as well as other works that where written and dedicated to him.[7] He is recognized for his musicality, temperament and virtuoso playing as well as his teaching abilities.
Parisot gave first performances of composers such as Carmago Guarnieri, Quincy Porter, Alvin Etler, Claudio Santoro, Joan Panetti, Ezra Laderman, Yehudi Wyner, and Heitor Villa-Lobos always trying to enlarge the cello repertoire. Villa-Lobos composed his Cello Concerto No. 2 for Parisot, and dedicated the concerto to him. Parisot gave the first performance at his debut with the New York Philharmonic. Orchestras such as the Amsterdam, Berlin, Chicago, London, Los Angeles, Munich, Paris, Pittsburgh, Rio de Janeiro, Stockholm, Vienna and Warsaw, have played with him with prestigious conductors such as Stokowski, John Barbirolli, Pierre-Michel Le Conte, Leonard Bernstein, Eleazar de Carvalho, Zubin Mehta, Claude Monteux, Paul Paray, Victor de Sabata, Sawallisch, Hindemith, and Heitor Villa-Lobos.[8] In this period, he was also the cellist with the Yale Quartet, with Broadus Erle, Syoko Aki and Walter Trampler.[9]
From 1956 to 1996, Parisot owned the De Munck Stradivarius.[citation needed]
Parisot's performance at Tanglewood of Donald Martino's Parisonatina al'Dodecafonia for solo cello—a piece written for Parisot—received many favorable reviews, including from Harold Schonberg of The New York Times and from the Boston Globe.[2]

Parisot was renowned for his teaching, having held posts at Peabody Conservatory, Mannes College of Music, the Juilliard School, and the New England Conservatory in addition to his current position at Yale, which he has held since 1958. Throughout the years, his students have gone on to careers as prominent concert artists, teachers and players in major symphony orchestras. Some better-known former students of his include Jesús Castro-Balbi, Shauna Rolston, Bion Tsang, Ralph Kirshbaum, Han-na Chang, Robert deMaine, Johann Sebastian Paetsch, Jian Wang.[7] According to Kirshbaum:

Parisot had a virtuoso left hand technique and was a great teacher. He also furthered the use of my musical imagination in a technical sense.[7]

In addition to maintaining a private studio, Parisot conducted the Yale Cellos since 1983. Formed as an ensemble of his current students, the group has since released a number of award-winning CDs, one of which received a Grammy nomination.[10] Parisot formally retired from Yale in July 2018, having been the longest-serving faculty member of the Yale School of Music and also the oldest member of the Yale University faculty.[11]

Parisot regularly gave master classes at the Banff Centre from 1980 to 2007, in addition to his regular teaching at the Yale Summer School in Norfolk, and at several other summer festivals. He gave master classes at the Sibelius Academy in November 1991. In Seoul, South Korea Parisot has offered courses of master classes at the Chung-Ang University since May 1994. He also held master classes at the Manchester International Cello Festival, and conducted a large cello ensemble. In January 2000 he toured Taiwan performing with the teaching staff to aid earthquake relief victims.
In 1984, Parisot gave a month's worth of master classes in China, where he auditioned prospective students, and the following year he was invited back. Beginning in 1987, he gave master classes and performances at the Jerusalem Music Center in Israel. He also taught at the Great Mountains Music Festival and School at the Yongpyong resort.
Alan Rich of New York Magazine has commented about these master classes:[3]

Parisot regularly gave master classes at the Banff Centre from 1980 to 2007, in addition to his regular teaching at the Yale Summer School in Norfolk, and at several other summer festivals. He gave master classes at the Sibelius Academy in November 1991. In Seoul, South Korea Parisot has offered courses of master classes at the Chung-Ang University since May 1994. He also held master classes at the Manchester International Cello Festival, and conducted a large cello ensemble. In January 2000 he toured Taiwan performing with the teaching staff to aid earthquake relief victims.
In 1984, Parisot gave a month's worth of master classes in China, where he auditioned prospective students, and the following year he was invited back. Beginning in 1987, he gave master classes and performances at the Jerusalem Music Center in Israel. He also taught at the Great Mountains Music Festival and School at the Yongpyong resort.
Alan Rich of New York Magazine has commented about these master classes:[3]

The master classes are extraordinary – Parisot has that enormous, rare gift of translating musical feeling into solid information about what to do with a set of fingers and a bow. Maybe there are master classes for clarinet, or trombone, somewhere in the world, but I doubt that they operate on the level of intensity that you find at Parisot's classes at Yale…as a teacher, he is an object of pilgrimage.

More at Wikipedia

...on a university faculty until retiring at age 99.

Harpsichordist Blandine Verlet:

Blandine Verlet (27 February 1942 – 30 December 2018)[1][2] was a French harpsichordist and a harpsichord teacher, who is known internationally for her recordings of works by François Couperin.

Born in Paris into a musical family, she was the seventh of ten children, and in 1957 gained admission to the Conservatoire de Paris, studying piano and harpsichord. Having decided on her specialty, she studied harpsichord with Huguette Dreyfus in Paris,[3] Ruggero Gerlin in Siena and with Ralph Kirkpatrick at Yale University.[4] A significant competition prize in Paris in 1963 led to engagements in Italy and Germany.

Verlet was widely praised for her recordings of Bach's music, including the Goldberg Variations.[5] She is perhaps best known for having played the music of her compatriot François Couperin, displaying exceptional sensitivity and imagination. Verlet recorded Couperin's complete works in the 1970s and 80s, and in late 2011 she returned to re-record five 'ordres' on the period Henri Hemsch harpsichord. Verlet wrote a poem in celebration of Couperin which accompanied the release, the closing lines of which exemplify her great imaginative empathy with this key French composer:
Quote:We hope we too have managed to grasp
your art of playing the harpsichord.
The art of both poetry and precision.
The art of whispering, murmuring.
The song without words, lighter for having no text.
Wandering shadows, expressions of the heart.
Our thanks to you, Francois Couperin. (tr. Mary Pardoe)
Verlet died at the age of 76.[6]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blandine_Verlet

Pop music figure Daryl Dragon, best known as the "Captain" of Captain and Tenille.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daryl_Dragon