Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm a member of the Homeland Generation (2005). Ask me anything.
I assume that everyone knows that The Guilded Age was a novel written by Mark Twain and Charles Warner around 1873?  The name sort of stuck with post Civil War America?
That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.
(05-30-2020, 08:28 PM)GeekyCynic Wrote: Welcome to the forum. It is cool to see the first member of the New Artist generation on this forum. Some of us are old timers who've been around since the forum was first created in the late '90s. I myself joined in 2005, the year you were born, which definitely makes me feel old. I have a nephew who is your age.

I'm late, but thank you very much! It felt strange joining this forum filled with people born as early as the 40s at first, but the topics here are really fascinating and educational, and its always helpful to hear adult opinions.
(05-30-2020, 09:37 PM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: I assume that everyone knows that The Guilded Age was a novel written by Mark Twain and Charles Warner around 1873?  The name sort of stuck with post Civil War America?
Yeah, I learned about that in school last year.
Here's a poll involving college students, some of whom are just a couple years older than you:

[quote author=wbrocks67 link=topic=390644.msg7534373#msg7534373 date=1598288005 uid=19655]
Biden 70
Trump 18
Someone else 10
Would not vote 3

https://knightfoundation.org/wp-content/...gstudy.pdf

Was there any type of poll done to compare this to 2016?
[/quote]

I interpret this as powerful evidence that the Millennial and post-Millennial generations are anti-Trump... and that the politics of late-wave Millennial and early-wave post-Millennial youth will be hostile to the GOP as it now exists. (Of course, the GOP could change its ways -- but cultural patterns and political attitudes rarely change over people's lives.

Do you see any conservative currents that have the potential to bring your generation to a more politically-conservative outlook? I will first rule out any effort to undo LGBT rights, as legal precedents stick.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(08-24-2020, 01:25 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: I interpret this as powerful evidence that the Millennial and post-Millennial generations are anti-Trump... and that the politics of late-wave Millennial and early-wave post-Millennial youth will be hostile to the GOP as it now exists. (Of course, the GOP could change its ways -- but cultural patterns and political attitudes rarely change over people's lives.

I would put in the caveat, except in a 4T.  We will see the Republicans change, but they will likely go on with their old values a bit longer.
That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.
Republicans holding ideas like those of Trump skew markedly old, and any agenda or customer base that gets older without replenishment by fresh customers tends to fde out. This explains why music whose fans are largely in their sixties (like classical music) isn't being marketed as it once was.  CD's of classical music are often available for a dollar a disc in used-goods shops. Wanna know what is really cheap? You can get LP records of such people as Patti Page, Lawrence Welk, Tennessee Ernie Ford, Dinah Shore, Perry Como, and Guy Lombardo for 3 for a dollar. People die, and the latter don't sell at estate sales.

A few days ago I went to an electronics store that supposedly had a listening room. It instead had a display at which the only music that I could test speakers on was either rap "music" (which is about as much an oxymoron as "safe polonium") or country music (which sounds alike no matter what one plays it on).  The last time I bought stereo speakers I used music for string quartet. Because string quartets are a big part of the classical repertory and most of the symphonic orchestra is a multiple of two violins, a viola, and a cello, any speakers that can't do justice to a string quartet are schlock -- no matter how expensive.  But I am old, and I am thus trash to marketers. To them I might as well be a homeless bum on skid row, rotting my brain and character on cheap booze.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Millennial/Homeland Cusp RELFantastic 1 158 08-24-2020, 01:21 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  My estimates on who belongs in the Homeland Generation Ghost 2 365 08-13-2020, 06:42 PM
Last Post: RadianMay
  Homeland generation trending on Twitter? sbarrera 0 157 07-29-2020, 09:48 AM
Last Post: sbarrera
  The Activist Generation? Anthony '58 5 973 06-21-2020, 04:30 PM
Last Post: Anthony '58
  Have Smartphones Destroyed a Generation? Dan '82 27 19,854 05-31-2020, 10:34 AM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Snapshot of the Homeland generation today sbarrera 22 4,431 07-12-2019, 08:03 PM
Last Post: Hintergrund
  "I am 18. I belong to the massacre generation." gabrielle 1 1,397 11-04-2018, 10:00 AM
Last Post: David Horn
Video Styx on Generation Zed. Kinser79 2 2,047 08-31-2017, 03:31 PM
Last Post: Kinser79
  A voice from the homelander generation taramarie 12 10,600 02-20-2017, 02:51 PM
Last Post: taramarie
  Donald Trump will live on in the new Reactive Generation Einzige 16 8,316 11-15-2016, 12:06 AM
Last Post: Eric the Green