Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Each Generation's Name (since Revolutionary Saeculum) Ranked
It's been a while since my last thread. We talked a bit about the origin of some generations' names, and I like ranking stuff, so why not make this thread?
To clarify, I'm not ranking them based on their accomplishments or traits or whatever. Their positions here are based purely on their names, in my personal opinion with a ton of bias.
I know very little about gens before the Revolutionary Saeculum, and most things before the creation of the U.S. bore me, so I feel unqualified to rank those.
---

15) Missionary - The most Civic-Hero-sounding name, and it's for prophets. That's always bugged me. This name gives the same vibe as "G.I. Gen" or "Republican Gen". That's it really.

14) Progressive - Sure, the name fits. They played a huge role in the Progressive Era as well as the Missionaries. It's not bad at all to name generations after eras. But the named 'Progressive' gives huge boring-800-page-school-text-book vibes, and the name overall seems to lack flavor to me. Especially on Adaptives, idk why.

13) Compromise - And here we have the most Adaptive-Artist-sounding name! Same problem with the Progressive Gen. It's not a bad name at all, it just can't make me feel many emotions.

12) Homeland- Can we get an F in the chat for us Artists But yeah, the name seems outdated at this point, and I prefer using "Gen Z" (even if it provokes anger within me because of times when Redditors on r/GenZ get offended when I calmly say that I don't think Gen Z starts in the 90s). Same boring textbook-sounding name. Maybe it's because I wasn't alive when the Department of Homeland Security was founded, so the name just sounds like a painful government lesson to me.

11) Baby Boom - It's better to name generations after a characteristic they develop or an event they've gone through. The Boomer generation started before the baby boom, and it ended before the end of the baby boom. This confuses Pew and makes them latch onto that one characteristic to determine the birth range of that generation. This causes statistics and research projects to be technically incorrect, and it confuses many Xers who think they're being targetted by Boomer hate. Down with Pew. Please stop this.
...But it's fun to call old people "Boomers", and I also like calling people my age "Zoomers". It's a fun-sounding name.

10) Millennial - The first civic name to appear here, and next to their parents. It sounds magical because they're gonna absolutely rule the first half of the first century of the new Millenium. That's it.

9) Transcendental - The first image that pops up in my head when thinking of this is a sitting room filled with high-class men in white wigs with maids pouring rainbow-colored tea in their golden china teacups. I don't think that's the image I'm supposed to get at all (Awakeners maybe?) but eh, I like that its fancy-sounding.

8) Republican - I like it, and it fits. I guess it's slightly awkward in a time where it's a huge and controversial political party.

7) G.I. - Simple, sweet, fitting. Please don't call them the "Greatest" Generation tho.

6) Awakening - Simple, sweet, fittting. I am now at a higher consciousness.

5) Gilded - This is the saddest sounding name, and it doesn't even have the edgy coolness the "Lost" Generation has. ...And that's what makes it a good name. The Gilded Age was their age, and the shame that goes along with it is fascinating.

4) Liberty - Simple, sweet, fitting. Actually it's badass, not sweet. I love it.

These last three are practically a tie...

X - "The "X" refers to an unknown variable or to a desire not to be defined." The name's just so edgy and cool sounding. And pop culture at the time of Gen X's youth loved using that letter iirc. When I think of X, I think of an abandoned teenager in loose dark clothing lighting a cigarette, just using his unbandaged right hand, which is covered in scars. He sees the other kids picking fights with each other, trying to ignore them, but when one punches him, he pulls out a katana and barely holds back. I get very weird thoughts. But yeah, 11/10 name.

Silent - Poor babies! Gotta protect them from any danger at all cost. This name implies many things, but it stems from their experiences during WWII and the Great Depression. They were hushed by adults, who didn't let them do much besides alleviating the Crisis through small deeds. They became rebels without a cause, ones that were very reflective. I can't imagine what beautiful tragedies were painted inside their heads every day. They are not a physical generation, they are a mental one. Somber perfection.

Lost- This generation has some of the worst people of all time, but also outstanding writers. I can't imagine coming back from WWI with PTSD, taking a blow from the Great Depression, seeing your kids fight in WWII, living in darkness until you reach your old age, when little matters to you anymore. Somber perfection as well.
---

I'd love to see what you guys think of the names of each Generation! Hearing other opinions is fun Big Grin
Good list.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
I feel like Generation Z = / = Homelander.

People born in 1997-2001 are usually seen as Gen Z (for 97-98 or 97-99, it'd be a cusp but on the Z side overall, depending on the person), but the earliest year you'd usually see classified as a Homelander is 2002.

2003 and 2005 are usually the two most common starting points for Homelanders; 2003 because they were born after the establishment of Homeland Security and 2005 because Strauss and Howe said so.
Great list and great idea *for* a list!

Personally I think "Missionary" is a very Prophet-sounding name. But I like that you put my generation at #1. :-)
Steve Barrera

[A]lthough one would like to change today's world back to the spirit of one hundred years or more ago, it cannot be done. Thus it is important to make the best out of every generation. - Hagakure

Saecular Pages
Thank you very much everyone!

Quote:I feel like Generation Z = / = Homelander.

People born in 1997-2001 are usually seen as Gen Z (for 97-98 or 97-99, it'd be a cusp but on the Z side overall, depending on the person), but the earliest year you'd usually see classified as a Homelander is 2002.

2003 and 2005 are usually the two most common starting points for Homelanders; 2003 because they were born after the establishment of Homeland Security and 2005 because Strauss and Howe said

I like that. "Gen Z" being the last cohort or Millennials is way better than it representing 1995-2010 borns. That birth range disgusts me. I agree with the Homeland Gen starting in 2002 or 2003.
(03-09-2020, 11:41 PM)Ghost Wrote: I feel like Generation Z = / = Homelander.

2003 and 2005 are usually the two most common starting points for Homelanders; 2003 because they were born after the establishment of Homeland Security and 2005 because Strauss and Howe said so.

Exactly. Generation Z is not the same as a Homelander. For Gen Z, late '90s and early '00s borns (give or take mid '90s and '00s) seem to always be mentioned when talking about "Gen Z", but Homelanders would really describe those born after the establishment of Homeland Security in very late 2002. The very earliest that the Homeland Gen could start is 9/11, because that is the event that changed the US, and maybe the world forever, however, even with the late 2001/2002 babies, it does not make that much sense to be Homelanders. Basically, "Gen Z" should be the last wave, or last gasp of the Millennial generation, while the Homeland gen is a whole different generation that could start in either 2003 or 2005. I prefer 2003, not just because I was born in 2002, but for the reasons that were mentioned above.
(03-10-2020, 09:19 AM)Camz Wrote: Thank you very much everyone!

Quote:I feel like Generation Z = / = Homelander.

2003 and 2005 are usually the two most common starting points for Homelanders; 2003 because they were born after the establishment of Homeland Security and 2005 because Strauss and Howe said

I like that. "Gen Z" being the last cohort or Millennials is way better than it representing 1995-2010 borns. That birth range disgusts me. I agree with the Homeland Gen starting in 2002 or 2003.

I don't like the 1995-2010 definition for Gen Z that they have on Reddit, either. It doesn't make sense. I'd dare to say that there is a much bigger generation gap between 90's babies and 10's babies, than with 80's babies and 00's babies (at least the earlier ones). 1995-2010 and 1997-2012, etc. are the mainstream spans out there defined by mostly demographers, who don't take as time to analyze generations historically, but rather define it just by pop culture, birth year, and demographics. It is similar to Baby Boomers being 1946-1964, when most early 60s babies don't truly fit in with Boomers. I feel like Strauss and Howe is much more accurate. Even if I was to start Gen Z in the 1990's, 1995 seems to early. The earliest would be 1997, but culturally 1999 seems like a better start. Even 2001 would be a better start point than 1995 to me. But, personally I think that it is 2003 or I just go with S&H's 2005 start date.
Probably, from an estimate, the transition from Millennial to Homelander could be extended long, from like 1994ish up until like 2005ish.
the 1 name l really don't like is Republicans. That is so wrong to saddle that cohort with that gawdawful name. Revolutionaries perhaps, since they did alot of the grunt work during the Revolution
Heart my 2 yr old Niece/yr old Nephew 2020 Heart
(03-10-2020, 05:02 PM)Marypoza Wrote: the 1 name l really don't like is Republicans. That is so wrong to saddle that cohort with that gawdawful name. Revolutionaries perhaps, since they did alot of the grunt work during the Revolution

Give'm a break!  They were there for the creation of the first republic since Rome.  There's something worth claiming there. That the name has been corrupted isn't their fault.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
(03-10-2020, 04:43 PM)Cocoa Puff Wrote:
(03-10-2020, 09:19 AM)Camz Wrote: I like that. "Gen Z" being the last cohort or Millennials is way better than it representing 1995-2010 borns. That birth range disgusts me. I agree with the Homeland Gen starting in 2002 or 2003.

I don't like the 1995-2010 definition for Gen Z that they have on Reddit, either. It doesn't make sense. I'd dare to say that there is a much bigger generation gap between 90's babies and 10's babies, than with 80's babies and 00's babies (at least the earlier ones). 1995-2010 and 1997-2012, etc. are the mainstream spans out there defined by mostly demographers, who don't take as time to analyze generations historically, but rather define it just by pop culture, birth year, and demographics. It is similar to Baby Boomers being 1946-1964, when most early 60s babies don't truly fit in with Boomers. I feel like Strauss and Howe is much more accurate. Even if I was to start Gen Z in the 1990's, 1995 seems to early. The earliest would be 1997, but culturally 1999 seems like a better start. Even 2001 would be a better start point than 1995 to me. But, personally I think that it is 2003 or I just go with S&H's 2005 start date.
Probably, from an estimate, the transition from Millennial to Homelander could be extended long, from like 1994ish up until like 2005ish.

I definitely agree, and the funny thing is that r/GenZ is completely divided. 90s babies, early 2000s babies, 2004-6, and 2007 are their own groups who hate each other because of a sense of superiority being born a year before another. People flex on the fact that they remember a time before the iPhone, and that they're "2000s kids" rather than "2010s kids" (and there are debates on what counts as a "2000s kid" which get toxic). It's silly and immature. The point of the sub is to unite Zoomers, like in r/GenX, but its doing the opposite. Probably a mix of typical youth immaturity and 1995-20XX just being a bad birth range.

I actually recently changed my mind of when Gen Z/Homelanders started: 2004. It's because 2003 kids...
-entered K12 when Bush was still president
-in elementary school during the Obama election and RECESSION, so they might remember them, rather than 1925 silents on Black Tuesday
-spent most of K12 before gay marriage was legalized
-entered middle school before Trump announced his campaign
-were in high school during Parkland (so they weren't that young, and processed it differently)
-some can vote in the 2020 election
-"1/6 of the class should be able to vote in 2020" umm,, that's iffy but their classmates should
-Greta Thunberg was born this year, who's a total civic
-involved heavily in March For Our Lives
-turning 20 (coming of age) in 2023, when the crisis will be far from over. there were 25-year-old G.Is in 1945
-in general had more lasts than firsts
They're probably super cuspy, but lean toward Millennial
(03-10-2020, 05:35 PM)Camz Wrote:
(03-10-2020, 04:43 PM)Cocoa Puff Wrote:
(03-10-2020, 09:19 AM)Camz Wrote: I like that. "Gen Z" being the last cohort or Millennials is way better than it representing 1995-2010 borns. That birth range disgusts me. I agree with the Homeland Gen starting in 2002 or 2003.

I definitely agree, and the funny thing is that r/GenZ is completely divided. 90s babies, early 2000s babies, 2004-6, and 2007 are their own groups who hate each other because of a sense of superiority being born a year before another. People flex on the fact that they remember a time before the iPhone, and that they're "2000s kids" rather than "2010s kids" (and there are debates on what counts as a "2000s kid" which get toxic). It's silly and immature. The point of the sub is to unite Zoomers, like in r/GenX, but its doing the opposite. Probably a mix of typical youth immaturity and 1995-20XX just being a bad birth range.

I actually recently changed my mind of when Gen Z/Homelanders started: 2004. It's because 2003 kids...
-entered K12 when Bush was still president
-in elementary school during the Obama election and RECESSION, so they might remember them, rather than 1925 silents on Black Tuesday
-spent most of K12 before gay marriage was legalized
-entered middle school before Trump announced his campaign
-were in high school during Parkland (so they weren't that young, and processed it differently)
-some can vote in the 2020 election
-"1/6 of the class should be able to vote in 2020" umm,, that's iffy but their classmates should
-Greta Thunberg was born this year, who's a total civic
-involved heavily in March For Our Lives
-turning 20 (coming of age) in 2023, when the crisis will be far from over. there were 25-year-old G.Is in 1945
-in general had more lasts than firsts
They're probably super cuspy, but lean toward Millennial

Not to be too picky, but I think you meant 1925. And as in 2003 babies, do you just mean the HS C/O 2021? Because no one born that year can vote for another four years. Other than that, I agree with you. 

When it comes to specific coming of age years, I basically just say ages 16-25 (the age of consent, to drive, get a job to brain being fully developed. Generally, 18 or even 21 is the key "coming-of-age" age. 
To me, biological childhood is 3-10 or 11. So "2000s kids" would be from 1993-2002 (January 1, 1993-December 31, 2002 by birth year; late 1992-mid 2002, a.k.a. HS C/O 2011-2020 by high school class; I would barely fit here) and 2010s kids would be 2003-2012. A minor child is like 0-17; in my opinion, a "growing-up" child is 3-20 or 5-18, as in K-12, making the C/O 2021 the ultimate 2010s "kid".
Btw, the r/GenZ subreddit is so toxic, but at times can be interesting, which is why I still have a Reddit account. The Zillennials subreddit isn't that bad, tho.
I might be wrong here, but I think this is just an estimated range for transitions and cores of generations, which I think might be interesting. At the end of the say, it all depends on the person, unless you are in the core, which would only be by birth year and not experiences.

The generational percentage from GI/Silent to Millennial/Homeland (don't know much about the traits of the GIs and prior), going by S&H Definitions (except Millennial end date & Homeland start date):

Core GIs and earlier - b. 1919-earlier
1919 - before = 100% GI

GI/Silent transition (a.k.a. Hero/Artist transition) - Generally b. 1922-1927; b. 1920-1929 at the farthest

1920 - 91% GI (Hero): 9% Silent (Artist) - Definitely GI with a hint of Silent; the beginning of the transition
1921 - 82% GI (Hero): 18% Silent (Artist) - Predominantly GI with minor Silent traits
1922 - 73% GI (Hero): 27% Silent (Artist) - When the transition truly starts
1923 - 64% GI (Hero): 36% Silent (Artist)
1924 - 55% GI (Hero): 45% Silent (Artist) - The demarcation line for end of GI's
1925 - 45% GI (Hero): 55% Silent (Artist) - The demarcation line for start of Silents
1926 - 36% GI (Hero): 64% Silent (Artist) 
1927 - 27% GI (Hero): 73% Silent (Artist) - When the transition truly ends
1928 - 18% GI (Hero): 82% Silent (Artist) - Predominantly Silent with minor GI traits
1929 - 9% GI (Hero): 91% Silent (Artist) - Definitely Silent with a hint of GI; the end of the transition

Core Silents (a.k.a. 100% Artist)- Definitely b. 1930-1937;  b. 1928-1939 at the farthest
1930 - 1937 - 100% Silent (Artist)

Silent/Boomer transition (a.k.a. Artist/Prophet transition; Swing Generation) - Generally b. 1940-1945; b. 1938-1947 at the farthest

1938 - 95% Silent (Artist): 5% Boomer (Prophet) - Definitely Silent with a hint of Boomer; the beginning of the transition
1939 - 90% Silent (Artist): 10% Boomer (Prophet) - Predominantly Silent with minor Boomer traits
1940 - 80% Silent (Artist): 20% Boomer (Prophet) - When the transition truly starts
1941 - 65% Silent (Artist): 35% Boomer (Prophet)
1942 - 55% Silent (Artist): 45% Boomer (Prophet) - The demarcation line for end of Silents
1943 - 45% Silent (Artist): 55% Boomer (Prophet) - The demarcation line for start of Boomers
1944 - 35% Silent (Artist): 65% Boomer (Prophet)
1945 - 20% Silent (Artist): 80% Boomer (Prophet) - When the transition truly ends
1946 - 10% Silent (Artist): 90% Boomer (Prophet) - Predominantly Boomer with minor Silent traits
1947 - 5% Silent (Artist): 95% Boomer (Prophet) - Definitely Boomer with a hint of Silent; the end of the transition

Core Boomer transition (a.k.a. 100% Prophet) - Definitely b. 1948-1954; b. 1946-1957 at the farthest
1948 - 1954 - 100% Boomer (Prophet)

Boomer/X transition (a.k.a. Prophet/Nomad transition; Generation Jones) - Generally b. 1958-1964; b. 1955-1966 at the farthest

1955 - 95% Boomer (Prophet): 5% X'er (Nomad) - Definitely Boomer with a hint of X; the beginning of the transition
1956 - 90% Boomer (Prophet): 10% X'er (Nomad) - Predominantly Boomer with minor X traits
1957 - 85% Boomer (Prophet): 15% X'er (Nomad) - Mostly Boomer with some X traits
1958 - 80% Boomer (Prophet): 20% X'er (Nomad) - When the transition truly starts
1959 - 70% Boomer (Prophet): 30% X'er (Nomad) 
1960 - 60% Boomer (Prophet): 40% X'er (Nomad) - The demarcation line for end of Boomers
1961 - 40% Boomer (Prophet): 60% X'er (Nomad) - The demarcation line for start of X
1962 - 30% Boomer (Prophet): 70% X'er (Nomad) 
1963 - 25% Boomer (Prophet): 75% X'er (Nomad) 
1964 - 20% Boomer (Prophet): 80% X'er (Nomad) - When the transition truly ends
1965 - 10% Boomer (Prophet): 90% X'er (Nomad) - Predominantly X with minor Boomer traits
1966 - 5% Boomer (Prophet): 95% X'er (Nomad) - Definitely X with a hint of Boomer; the end of the transition

Core X (a.k.a. 100% Nomad) - Definitely b. 1967-1974; b. 1965-1976 at the farthest
1967 - 1974 - 100% X'er (Nomad)

X/Millennial transition (a.k.a. Nomad/Hero transition; Generation Y, Xennial) - Generally b. 1977-1986; b. 1975-1988 at the farthest

1975 - 96% X'er (Nomad): 4% Millennial (Hero) - Definitely X with a hint of Millennial; the beginning of the transition
1976 - 92% X'er (Nomad): 8% Millennial (Hero) - Predominantly X with minor Millennial traits
1977 - 88% X'er (Nomad): 12% Millennial (Hero) - When the transition truly starts
1978 - 80% X'er (Nomad): 20% Millennial (Hero)
1979 - 72% X'er (Nomad): 28% Millennial (Hero)
1980 - 64% X'er (Nomad): 36% Millennial (Hero)
1981 - 56% X'er (Nomad): 44% Millennial (Hero) - The demarcation line for end of X
1982 - 48% X'er (Nomad): 52% Millennial (Hero) - The demarcation line for start of Millennial
1983 - 40% X'er (Nomad): 60% Millennial (Hero) 
1984 - 32% X'er (Nomad): 68% Millennial (Hero)  
1985 - 24% X'er (Nomad): 76% Millennial (Hero) 
1986 - 16% X'er (Nomad): 84% Millennial (Hero) - When the transition truly ends
1987 - 8% X'er (Nomad): 92% Millennial (Hero) - Predominantly Millennial with minor X traits
1988 - 4% X'er (Nomad): 96% Millennial (Hero) -Definitely Millennial with a hint of X; the end of the transition

Core Millennial (a.k.a. 100% Hero) - Definitely b. 1989-1994; b. 1987-1996 at the farthest
1989 - 1994 - 100% Millennial (Hero)

Millennial/Homeland transition (a.k.a. Hero/Artist transition; Generation Z, Zillennial) - Generally b. 1997-2005; b. 1995-2007 at the farthest

1995 - 96% Millennial (Hero): 4% Homeland (Artist) - Definitely Millennial with a hint of Homeland; the beginning of the transition
1996 - 92% Millennial (Hero): 8% Homeland (Artist) - Predominantly Millennial with minor Homeland traits
1997 - 88% Millennial (Hero): 12% Homeland (Artist) - When the transition truly starts
1998 - 84% Millennial (Hero): 16% Homeland (Artist)
1999 - 72% Millennial (Hero): 24% Homeland (Artist)
2000 - 68% Millennial (Hero): 32% Homeland (Artist)
2001 - 60% Millennial (Hero): 40% Homeland (Artist)
2002 - 52% Millennial (Hero): 48% Homeland (Artist) - The demarcation line for end of Millennial
2003 - 44% Millennial (Hero): 56% Homeland (Artist) - The demarcation line for start of Homeland
2004 - 36% Millennial (Hero): 64% Homeland (Artist)
2005 - 28% Millennial (Hero): 72% Homeland (Artist) - When the transition truly ends
2006 - 12% Millennial (Hero): 88% Homeland (Artist) - Predominantly Millennial with minor Millennial traits
2007 - 4% Millennial (Hero): 96% Homeland (Artist) - Definitely Millennial with a hint of Millennial; the end of the transition

Core Homeland and later - b. 2008-onward
2008-onward - 100% Homeland - beyond
Specific waves for generations (Boomers-Millennials; Homelanders are too early to do because none of them have yet come of age and still mostly children, or even not born yet)

Baby Boom: 1943-1960
Early-Wave Boomers (Hippie Wave): 1943-1951 (Classic Boomers; children of the 50's; came of age in the 60's during JFK assassination, Vietnam, Summer of Love, & Woodstock) Mostly children of GI's and are optimistic-idealists
Late-Wave (Disco Wave): 1952-1960 (Peak of the "baby boom"; children of the 60's; came of age in the 70's during Watergate, Gay Rights Movement, Roe v. Wade) Mostly children of Silents and are pessimistic-idealists

First-Wave Boom: 1943-1947 (the leaders of the generation; the last gasp of any Silent relations) Definitely GI parents
Second-Wave Boom: 1948-1951 (early-core) a mix of GI/Silent parents, more GI
Third-Wave Boom: 1952-1956 (late-core) a mix of GI/Silent parents, more Silent
Fourth-Wave Boom: 1957-1960 (the caboose of the generation; introduced new trends for the next generation; the prelude to Generation X, a la Generation Jones, part I) Definitely Silent parents

13th Generation (Generation X): 1961-1981
Early-Wave 13'er (Atari Wave X): 1961-1970 (Classic Gen X; children of the 70's; came of age in the 80's during Reagan administration, Challenger explosion, AIDS, and Cold War) Mostly children of Silents and are pessimistic-reactives
Late-Wave 13'er (Nintendo Wave X): 1971-1981 (True "baby bust"; children of the 80's; came of age in the 90's during USSR collapse, WTC and OKC bombings, OJ Simpson Trial, Princess Diana death, Columbine, and Y2K) Mostly children of Boomers and are optimistic-reactives

First-Wave 13'er: 1961-1964 (the leaders of the generation; the last of the "baby boom" and last gasp of any Boomer relations, a la Generation Jones, part II) Definitely Silent parents
Second-Wave 13'er: 1965-1970 (early-core; solidified the trends that the first-wavers introduced) a mix of Silent/Boomer parents, more Silent
Third-Wave 13'er: 1971-1976 (late-core; grew up with the early-wave trends, but brought up new trends for the late-wave) a mix of Silent/Boomer parents, more Boomer
Fourth-Wave 13'er: 1977-1981 (the caboose of the generation; introduced new trends for the next generation; the prelude to Millennials, a.k.a. "Generation Y" X'ers) Definitely Boomer parents

Millennials: 1982-2004
Early-Wave Millennials (Skater, Hipster, and Emo Wave): 1982-1993 (Classic Millennials; children of the 90's; came of age in the "aughts" during 9/11, Iraq War, Hurricane Katrina, Great Recession, and 2008 Election) Mostly children of Boomers and are optimistic-civics
Late-Wave Millennials (Social Media & Activist Wave): 1994-2004 (Younger Millennials; children of the "aughts"; came of age in the 2010's and early 2020's during school shootings, political turmoil, gay marriage legalized, and 2016 Election) Mostly children of 13'ers and are pessimistic-civics

First-Wave Millennials: 1982-1987 (the leaders of the generation; the last gasp of any Generation X relations, hence Xennials or Generation Y) Definitely Boomer parents
Second-Wave Millennials: 1988-1993 (early-core; solidified the trends that the first-wavers introduced) a mix of Boomer/13'er parents, more Boomer
Third-Wave Millennials: 1994-1998 (late-core; grew up with the early-wave trends, but brought up new trends for the late-wave) a mix of Boomer/13'er parents, more 13'er
Fourth-Wave Millennials: 1999-2004 (the caboose and the longest wave of the generation; introduced new trends for the next generation; the prelude to Homelanders, a.k.a. "Generation Z" Millennials) Definitely 13'er parents
(03-10-2020, 08:21 PM)Cocoa Puff Wrote: Specific waves for generations (Boomers-Millennials; Homelanders are too early to do because none of them have yet come of age and still mostly children, or even not born yet)

Early-Wave Boomers (Hippie Wave): 1943-1951 (Classic Boomers; children of the 50's; came of age in the 60's during JFK assassination, Vietnam, Summer of Love, & Woodstock) Mostly children of GI's and are optimistic-idealists
Late-Wave (Disco Wave): 1952-1960 (Peak of the "baby boom"; children of the 60's; came of age in the 70's during Watergate, Gay Rights Movement, Roe v. Wade) Mostly children of Silents and are pessimistic-idealists

First-Wave Boom: 1943-1947 (the leaders of the generation; the last gasp of any Silent relations) Definitely GI parents
Fourth-Wave Boom: 1957-1960 (the caboose of the generation; introduced new trends for the next generation; the prelude to Generation X, a la Generation Jones, part I) Definitely Silent parents

Early-Wave 13'er (Atari Wave X): 1961-1970 (Classic Gen X; children of the 70's; came of age in the 80's during Reagan administration, Challenger explosion, AIDS, and Cold War) Mostly children of Silents and are pessimistic-reactives
Late-Wave 13'er (Nintendo Wave X): 1971-1981 (True "baby bust"; children of the 80's; came of age in the 90's during USSR collapse, WTC and OKC bombings, OJ Simpson Trial, Princess Diana death, Columbine, and Y2K) Mostly children of Boomers and are optimistic-reactives

First-Wave 13'er: 1961-1964 (the leaders of the generation; the last of the "baby boom" and last gasp of any Boomer relations, a la Generation Jones, part II) Definitely Silent parents
Second-Wave 13'er: 1965-1970 (early-core; solidified the trends that the first-wavers introduced) a mix of Silent/Boomer parents, more Silent
Third-Wave 13'er: 1971-1976 (late-core; grew up with the early-wave trends, but brought up new trends for the late-wave) a mix of Silent/Boomer parents, more Boomer
Fourth-Wave 13'er: 1977-1981 (the caboose of the generation; introduced new trends for the next generation; the prelude to Millennials, a.k.a. "Generation Y" X'ers) Definitely Boomer parents

Early-Wave Millennials (Skater, Hipster, and Emo Wave): 1982-1992 (Classic Millennials; children of the 90's; came of age in the "aughts" during 9/11, Iraq War, Hurricane Katrina, Great Recession, and 2008 Election) Mostly children of Boomers and are optimistic-civics
Late-Wave Millennials (Social Media & Activist Wave): 1993-2004 (Younger Millennials; children of the "aughts"; came of age in the 2010's and early 2020's during school shootings, political turmoil, gay marriage legalized, and 2016 Election) Mostly children of 13'ers and are pessimistic-civics

First-Wave Millennials 1982-1986 (the leaders of the generation; the last gasp of any Generation X relations, hence Xennials or Generation Y) Definitely Boomer parents
Second-Wave Millennials: 1987-1992 (early-core; solidified the trends that the first-wavers introduced) a mix of Boomer/13'er parents, more Boomer
Third-Wave Millennials: 1993-1996 (late-core; grew up with the early-wave trends, but brought up new trends for the late-wave) a mix of Boomer/13'er parents, more 13'er
Fourth-Wave Millennials: 1997-2004 (the caboose and the longest wave of the generation; introduced new trends for the next generation; the prelude to Homelanders, a.k.a. "Generation Z" Millennials) Definitely 13'er parents

I'd put 1993/late 1992-mid 1993 in the Early Wave Millennials:
*When they started elementary school, Google wasn't around, Clinton wasn't impeached, and the Columbine shooting didn't happen yet.
*They spent most of their elementary school years before 9/11.
*They were out of elementary school by the time Web 2.0 became a thing.
*They were in high school before the Recession occurred.
*They graduated high school before Occupy Wall Street.
(03-10-2020, 07:28 PM)Cocoa Puff Wrote: I might be wrong here, but I think this is just an estimated range for transitions and cores of generations, which I think might be interesting. At the end of the say, it all depends on the person, unless you are in the core, which would only be by birth year and not experiences.

The generational percentage from GI/Silent to Millennial/Homeland (don't know much about the traits of the GIs and prior), going by S&H Definitions (except Millennial end date & Homeland start date):

1919 - before = 100% GI

GI/Silent transition (a.k.a. Hero/Artist transition) - Generally b. 1922-1927; b. 1920-1929 at the farthest

1920 - 91% GI (Hero): 9% Silent (Artist) - Definitely GI with a hint of Silent; the beginning of the transition
1921 - 82% GI (Hero): 18% Silent (Artist) - Predominantly GI with minor Silent traits
1924 - 55% GI (Hero): 45% Silent (Artist) - The demarcation line for end of GI's
1925 - 45% GI (Hero): 55% Silent (Artist) - The demarcation line for start of Silents
1928 - 18% GI (Hero): 82% Silent (Artist) - Predominantly Silent with minor GI traits
1929 - 9% GI (Hero): 91% Silent (Artist) - Definitely Silent with a hint of GI; the end of the transition

Core Silents (a.k.a. 100% Artist)- Definitely b. 1930-1937;  b. 1928-1939 at the farthest

Silent/Boomer transition (a.k.a. Artist/Prophet transition; Swing Generation) - Generally b. 1940-1945; b. 1938-1947 at the farthest

1938 - 95% Silent (Artist): 5% Boomer (Prophet) - Definitely Silent with a hint of Boomer; the beginning of the transition
1939 - 90% Silent (Artist): 10% Boomer (Prophet) - Predominantly Silent with minor Boomer traits
1940 - 80% Silent (Artist): 20% Boomer (Prophet) - When the transition truly starts
1942 - 55% Silent (Artist): 45% Boomer (Prophet) - The demarcation line for end of Silents
1943 - 45% Silent (Artist): 55% Boomer (Prophet) - The demarcation line for start of Boomers
1945 - 20% Silent (Artist): 80% Boomer (Prophet) - When the transition truly ends
1946 - 10% Silent (Artist): 90% Boomer (Prophet) - Predominantly Boomer with minor Silent traits
1947 - 5% Silent (Artist): 95% Boomer (Prophet) - Definitely Boomer with a hint of Silent; the end of the transition

Core Boomer transition (a.k.a. 100% Prophet) - Definitely b. 1948-1954; b. 1946-1957 at the farthest

Boomer/X transition (a.k.a. Prophet/Nomad transition; Generation Jones) - Generally b. 1958-1964; b. 1955-1966 at the farthest

1955 - 95% Boomer (Prophet): 5% X'er (Nomad) - Definitely Boomer with a hint of X; the beginning of the transition
1956 - 90% Boomer (Prophet): 10% X'er (Nomad) - Predominantly Boomer with minor X traits
1957 - 85% Boomer (Prophet): 15% X'er (Nomad) - Mostly Boomer with some X traits
1958 - 80% Boomer (Prophet): 20% X'er (Nomad) - When the transition truly starts
1960 - 60% Boomer (Prophet): 40% X'er (Nomad) - The demarcation line for end of Boomers
1961 - 40% Boomer (Prophet): 60% X'er (Nomad) - The demarcation line for start of X
1965 - 10% Boomer (Prophet): 90% X'er (Nomad) - Predominantly X with minor Boomer traits
1966 - 5% Boomer (Prophet): 95% X'er (Nomad) - Definitely X with a hint of Boomer; the end of the transition

Core X (a.k.a. 100% Nomad) - Definitely b. 1967-1974; b. 1965-1976 at the farthest

X/Millennial transition (a.k.a. Nomad/Hero transition; Generation Y, Xennial) - Generally b. 1977-1986; b. 1975-1988 at the farthest

1975 - 96% X'er (Nomad): 4% Millennial (Hero) - Definitely X with a hint of Millennial; the beginning of the transition
1976 - 92% X'er (Nomad): 8% Millennial (Hero) - Predominantly X with minor Millennial traits
1977 - 88% X'er (Nomad): 12% Millennial (Hero) - When the transition truly starts
1981 - 56% X'er (Nomad): 44% Millennial (Hero) - The demarcation line for end of X
1982 - 48% X'er (Nomad): 52% Millennial (Hero) - The demarcation line for start of Millennial
1987 - 8% X'er (Nomad): 92% Millennial (Hero) - Predominantly Millennial with minor X traits
1988 - 4% X'er (Nomad): 96% Millennial (Hero) -Definitely Millennial with a hint of X; the end of the transition

Core Millennial (a.k.a. 100% Hero) - Definitely b. 1989-1994; b. 1987-1996 at the farthest

Millennial/Homeland transition (a.k.a. Hero/Artist transition; Generation Z, Zillennial) - Generally b. 1997-2005; b. 1995-2007 at the farthest

1995 - 96% Millennial (Hero): 4% Homeland (Artist) - Definitely Millennial with a hint of Homeland; the beginning of the transition
1996 - 92% Millennial (Hero): 8% Homeland (Artist) - Predominantly Millennial with minor Homeland traits
1997 - 88% Millennial (Hero): 12% Homeland (Artist) - When the transition truly starts
2002 - 52% Millennial (Hero): 48% Homeland (Artist) - The demarcation line for end of Millennial
2003 - 44% Millennial (Hero): 56% Homeland (Artist) - The demarcation line for start of Homeland
2005 - 28% Millennial (Hero): 72% Homeland (Artist) - When the transition truly ends
2006 - 12% Millennial (Hero): 88% Homeland (Artist) - Predominantly Millennial with minor Millennial traits
2007 - 4% Millennial (Hero): 96% Homeland (Artist) - Definitely Millennial with a hint of Millennial; the end of the transition

I'm going to take a stab here, but what are your thoughts on this one?

The Prophet/Nomad transition

1954: 100% Prophet 
1955: 92% Prophet, 8% Nomad (the transition begins - they started elementary school after the birth control pill was introduced, spent most of their elementary school years after the Cuban Missile Crisis, and graduated high school after the legalization of abortion)
1956: 84% Prophet, 16% Nomad
1957: 76% Prophet, 24% Nomad (probably the first somewhat cusp year, considering they graduated high school after the Vietnam War ended)
1958: 68% Prophet, 32% Nomad
1959: 60% Prophet, 40% Nomad
1960: 52% Prophet, 48% Nomad
1961: 44% Prophet, 56% Nomad (the first year leaning towards Nomad, as 1961 is a common starting point for Gen X)
1962: 36% Prophet, 64% Nomad
1963: 28% Prophet, 72% Nomad
1964: 20% Prophet, 80% Nomad (probably the last somewhat cusp year, considering they were born before the decline in birth rates in 1965)
1965: 12% Prophet, 88% Nomad
1966: 4% Prophet, 96% Nomad (the transition ends - they were the last to vote in the Reagan vs Mondale election)
1967: 100% Nomad

The Nomad/Hero Transition

1975: 100% Nomad
1976: 92% Nomad, 8% Hero (the transition begins - they started elementary school after the Reagan v. Carter election, started high school after the Berlin Wall fell, and graduated high school after Kurt Cobain committed suicide)
1977: 84% Nomad, 16% Hero
1978: 76% Nomad, 24% Hero (the first somewhat cusp year, considering that they spent most of their elementary school years after the Challenger explosion, started high school after Nirvana released Nevermind, and graduated high school after Windows 95 was released)
1979: 68% Nomad, 32% Hero
1980: 60% Nomad, 40% Hero
1981: 52% Nomad, 48% Hero
1982: 44% Nomad, 56% Hero (the first year leaning towards Hero - they graduated high school in a year that begins with a 2)
1983: 36% Nomad, 64% Hero
1984: 28% Nomad, 72% Hero
1985: 20% Nomad, 80% Hero (the last somewhat cusp year, considering they entered high school before Y2K and were the last to be born before stereotypical Millennial celebrities, such as Amanda Bynes and Lindsay Lohan, were born)
1986: 12% Nomad, 88% Hero
1987: 4% Nomad, 96% Hero (the transition ends - they were the last to enter elementary school before the Bush v. Clinton election and were the last to be at middle school at the time the Columbine shooting took place)
1988: 100% Hero

The Hero/Artist transition

1996: 100% Hero
1997: 92% Hero, 8% Artist (the transition begins - they weren't at school yet when 9/11 took place, were still in elementary school when the iPhone was released, and graduated high school after Gamergate)
1998: 84% Hero, 16% Artist
1999: 76% Hero, 24% Artist (probably the first somewhat cusp year, considering they started high school after electropop fizzled out and graduated high school after Trump's victory)
2000: 68% Hero, 32% Artist
2001: 60% Hero, 40% Artist
2002: 52% Hero, 48% Artist
2003: 44% Hero, 56% Artist (the first year leaning towards Homelander, as they were the first to be born after the establishment of Homeland Security. Not to mention that Greta Thunberg was born in this year)
2004: 36% Hero, 64% Artist
2005: 28% Hero, 72% Artist
2006: 20% Hero, 80% Artist (probably the last somewhat cusp year, considering there are some sources that stretch the Millennial definition to 2006 and that they were no longer elementary school when the Parkland shooting took place)
2007: 12% Hero, 88% Artist
2008: 4% Hero, 96% Artist (the transition ends - they were no longer at elementary school when Trump was impeached and when the coronavirus scare began in the US)
2009: 100% Artist

This also seems to coincide with the "one saeculum equals one Uranus cycle or 84 years" rule mentioned by some users on this website.
(03-10-2020, 09:30 PM)Ghost Wrote:
(03-10-2020, 08:21 PM)Cocoa Puff Wrote: Specific waves for generations (Boomers-Millennials; Homelanders are too early to do because none of them have yet come of age and still mostly children, or even not born yet)

Early-Wave Millennials (Skater, Hipster, and Emo Wave): 1982-1992 (Classic Millennials; children of the 90's; came of age in the "aughts" during 9/11, Iraq War, Hurricane Katrina, Great Recession, and 2008 Election) Mostly children of Boomers and are optimistic-civics
Late-Wave Millennials (Social Media & Activist Wave): 1993-2004 (Younger Millennials; children of the "aughts"; came of age in the 2010's and early 2020's during school shootings, political turmoil, gay marriage legalized, and 2016 Election) Mostly children of 13'ers and are pessimistic-civics

First-Wave Millennials 1982-1986 (the leaders of the generation; the last gasp of any Generation X relations, hence Xennials or Generation Y) Definitely Boomer parents
Second-Wave Millennials: 1987-1992 (early-core; solidified the trends that the first-wavers introduced) a mix of Boomer/13'er parents, more Boomer
Third-Wave Millennials: 1993-1996 (late-core; grew up with the early-wave trends, but brought up new trends for the late-wave) a mix of Boomer/13'er parents, more 13'er
Fourth-Wave Millennials: 1997-2004 (the caboose and the longest wave of the generation; introduced new trends for the next generation; the prelude to Homelanders, a.k.a. "Generation Z" Millennials) Definitely 13'er parents

I'd put 1993/late 1992-mid 1993 in the Early Wave Millennials:
*When they started elementary school, Google wasn't around, Clinton wasn't impeached, and the Columbine shooting didn't happen yet.
*They spent most of their elementary school years before 9/11.
*They were out of elementary school by the time Web 2.0 became a thing.
*They were in high school before the Recession occurred.
*They graduated high school before Occupy Wall Street.

Yeah, now that I think about it, it makes sense for 1993ers to be Early-Wave, rather than Late-Wave, especially since they grew up more like late 80s and early 90s babies, were in the peak group for the emo trends, and that is mathematically the ultimate Millennial birth year. I’d go as far to add 1994 in the Early Wave, but anyone after would definitely be in the Late Wave. So, I will fix that.
(03-10-2020, 10:12 PM)Ghost Wrote:
(03-10-2020, 07:28 PM)Cocoa Puff Wrote: I might be wrong here, but I think this is just an estimated range for transitions and cores of generations, which I think might be interesting. At the end of the say, it all depends on the person, unless you are in the core, which would only be by birth year and not experiences.

1919 - before = 100% GI

1955: 92% Prophet, 8% Nomad (the transition begins - they started elementary school after the birth control pill was introduced, spent most of their elementary school years after the Cuban Missile Crisis, and graduated high school after the legalization of abortion)
1957: 76% Prophet, 24% Nomad (probably the first somewhat cusp year, considering they graduated high school after the Vietnam War ended)
1961: 44% Prophet, 56% Nomad (the first year leaning towards Nomad, as 1961 is a common starting point for Gen X)
1964: 20% Prophet, 80% Nomad (probably the last somewhat cusp year, considering they were born before the decline in birth rates in 1965)
1966: 4% Prophet, 96% Nomad (the transition ends - they were the last to vote in the Reagan vs Mondale election)

1976: 92% Nomad, 8% Hero (the transition begins - they started elementary school after the Reagan v. Carter election, started high school after the Berlin Wall fell, and graduated high school after Kurt Cobain committed suicide)
1978: 76% Nomad, 24% Hero (the first somewhat cusp year, considering that they spent most of their elementary school years after the Challenger explosion, started high school after Nirvana released Nevermind, and graduated high school after Windows 95 was released)
1982: 44% Nomad, 56% Hero (the first year leaning towards Hero - they graduated high school in a year that begins with a 2)
1985: 20% Nomad, 80% Hero (the last somewhat cusp year, considering they entered high school before Y2K and were the last to be born before stereotypical Millennial celebrities, such as Amanda Bynes and Lindsay Lohan, were born)
1987: 4% Nomad, 96% Hero (the transition ends - they were the last to enter elementary school before the Bush v. Clinton election and were the last to be at middle school at the time the Columbine shooting took place)

1997: 92% Hero, 8% Artist (the transition begins - they weren't at school yet when 9/11 took place, were still in elementary school when the iPhone was released, and graduated high school after Gamergate)
1999: 76% Hero, 24% Artist (probably the first somewhat cusp year, considering they started high school after electropop fizzled out and graduated high school after Trump's victory)
2003: 44% Hero, 56% Artist (the first year leaning towards Homelander, as they were the first to be born after the establishment of Homeland Security. Not to mention that Greta Thunberg was born in this year)
2006: 20% Hero, 80% Artist (probably the last somewhat cusp year, considering there are some sources that stretch the Millennial definition to 2006 and that they were no longer elementary school when the Parkland shooting took place)
2008: 4% Hero, 96% Artist (the transition ends - they were no longer at elementary school when Trump was impeached and when the coronavirus scare began in the US)

This also seems to coincide with the "one saeculum equals one Uranus cycle or 84 years" rule mentioned by some users on this website.

I actually think this is more clean than mine. Especially since you gave some facts about some birth years. And it probably does make sense for 2008 to be the last birth year with any Hero traits because they were the last born before the 2008 Crisis. 2009 would be the first 100% Artists, right before entering the 2010s. 

Just guessing, you would probably have Core Prophets end in 1954 (it would probably start in 1946 or 1947). 
1955-1966 are the Prophet/Nomad transition
1967-1975 are Core Nomads
1976-1987 are the Nomad/Hero transition 
1988-1996 are Core Heroes
1997-2008 are the Hero/Artist transition 
2009-? are Core Artists

Prophets in the Millennial Saeculum - b. 1960 and before
Nomads in the Millennial Saeculum - b. 1961-1981
Heroes in the Millennial Saeculum- b. 1982-2002
Artists in the Millennial Saeculum- b. 2003-202x

Do you agree with the transitions, or was it
just an interesting generation discussion?
(03-11-2020, 12:14 AM)Cocoa Puff Wrote:
(03-10-2020, 10:12 PM)Ghost Wrote:

1919 - before = 100% GI

I actually think this is more clean than mine. Especially since you gave some facts about some birth years. And it probably does make sense for 2008 to be the last birth year with any Hero traits because they were the last born before the 2008 Crisis. 2009 would be the first 100% Artists, right before entering the 2010s. 

Just guessing, you would probably have Core Prophets end in 1954 (it would probably start in 1946 or 1947). 
1955-1966 are the Prophet/Nomad transition
1967-1975 are Core Nomads
1976-1987 are the Nomad/Hero transition 
1988-1996 are Core Heroes
1997-2008 are the Hero/Artist transition 
2009-? are Core Artists

Prophets in the Millennial Saeculum - b. 1960 and before
Nomads in the Millennial Saeculum - b. 1961-1981
Heroes in the Millennial Saeculum- b. 1982-2002
Artists in the Millennial Saeculum- b. 2003-202x

Do you agree with the transitions, or was it
just an interesting generation discussion?

I agree with the periods you described. What are your thoughts on this cusp chart?

Prophet/Nomad cusp: 1959-1962 (the new voters in the Reagan v. Carter election)
1959 and 1960 lean Prophet because they were already in high school during the end of the Watergate scandal.
1961 and 1962 lean Nomad because they weren't in high school yet during the end of the Watergate scandal.

Nomad/Hero cusp: 1980-1983 (high schoolers during the rise of Y2K-era trends and college students when 9/11 took place)
1980 and 1981 lean Nomad because they graduated high school before Y2K.
1982 and 1983 lean Hero because they graduated high school after Y2K (this is why they are seen as "Millennials").

Hero/Artist cusp: 2001-2004 (high schoolers during the Notre Dame fires and when people like Billie Eilish started to become more popular)
2001 and 2002 lean Hero because they entered elementary school before the Recession, will graduate high school before this election, and were born before the establishment of Homeland Security.
2003 and 2004 lean Artist because they entered elementary school after the Recession, will graduated high school after this election, and were born after the establishment of Homeland Security (this is why they are seen as "Homelanders").
I agree with all of the above. To switch the conversation back to the topic of the thread, what are you guys' favorite names for generations BEFORE the Revolutionary Saeculum?
(03-11-2020, 08:01 AM)Camz Wrote: I agree with all of the above. To switch the conversation back to the topic of the thread, what are you guys' favorite names for generations BEFORE the Revolutionary Saeculum?

Now to your main point - I think that "Transcendentalist" is my favorite name because it is simple and accurately describes the crop of people that wrote transcendentalist literature (Walt Whitman, Ralph Waldo Emerson, etc)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A revised list of the "bad apples" of every generation Ghost 16 6,201 01-15-2023, 10:49 AM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Name people who were anomalies for their generation disasterzone 69 48,335 01-08-2023, 07:50 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green
  My Specific Presidential Generation Range (s) Theory Cocoa_Puff 10 4,848 09-01-2022, 05:20 AM
  The Lost Generation: Not Gone Yet! Anthony '58 3 1,124 08-31-2022, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Anthony '58
  What do you think are the major pros/cons of each current generation? JasonBlack 51 11,216 06-14-2022, 11:47 PM
Last Post: JasonBlack
  What If Everyone Born from 1967 to 1991 is Generation X? Victorian Jim Dandy 10 3,278 05-27-2022, 03:24 PM
  Most Useless Famous People of Each Generation JasonBlack 13 3,265 03-06-2022, 02:40 PM
  Entertainers by Generation GeekyCynic 4 1,476 02-20-2022, 01:07 AM
  The "Bad Apples" of each generation Ghost 72 46,087 02-11-2022, 12:31 AM
  My Millennial Saeculum Theory RELFantastic 25 9,076 07-16-2021, 06:36 AM
Last Post: Remy Renault