Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
The Coronavirus
I just went to the local convenience store.  They had both Lysol and toilet paper!  As there is real reason to use Lysol spray and I had none, I bought up both cans.  I know.  Guilty.  I’m a hoarder.

They were also out of tartar sauce.  I had to drive a few extra miles to get to a supermarket.  Who knew the virus would effect tartar sauce distribution?  Wink

Another minor question was whether to have a hypothetical new computer waiting on a lawyer's check should be delivered to my home or sent to the local Apple store. That was solved by Apple closing all their local Apple stores. Deliver, deliver, deliver.
That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.
(03-14-2020, 10:41 AM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: They were also out of tartar sauce.  I had to drive a few extra miles to get to a supermarket.  Who knew the virus would effect tartar sauce distribution?  Wink

That beats my story of whole shelves of Vitamin C being empty at the drug store.
I went to Meijer today and found that the convenience foods -- entrees suitable for microwave preparation -- had largely sold out. What wasn't a bargain was available in plenty.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Massachusetts bans eating and drinking at bars and restaurants until at least April 17

Well, this increases the speed of my plans to self isolate a bit.
That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.
First participant in coronavirus vaccine trial given dose

That was quick. Apparently there are similarities between this virus and recent ones. Some proteins are common.
In the last two days…

My eye doctor shut down his office for any but emergency calls for the virus duration. My housekeeper is on hold for health reasons, for the duration. I am setting up to use my bank’s bill pay to handle my tax help. One insurance company announced their office was not open to casual walk in business, but they would respond to phone calls, internet and mail normally. Restaurants went down for the duration state wide.

And I heard the local gaming community is shutting down for the duration.

No more Fantasy Role Play? That is a crisis in and of itself.
I suspect the deadliness of the virus is accelerating the response. So too is advances in technology, with supercomputers and medical improvements in fighting the deadly but less contagious diseases that have occurred in recent administrations. Trial efforts are coming out very quickly, with the CDC and other bureaucracies recognizing that withholding unproven cures to be sure of doing no harm could easily be worse than letting the disease run rampant.
Interesting suggestion:

Fantasilandia in Chile, one of Latin America’s largest theme parks, has replaced its most frequently touched surfaces with copper to help reduce the spread of germs and protect the health of its visitors. But why? Because copper and its alloys exhibit impressive antibacterial, antiviral and anti-fungal properties.

Copper has been exploited for health purposes since ancient times. Egyptian and Babylonian soldiers would sharpen their bronze swords (an alloy of copper and tin) after a battle, and place the filings in their wounds to reduce infection and speed healing.

Copper was also used to cure medical problems in ancient China and India and is an important component of Ayurveda medicine today. Hippocrates in Greece and the Aztecs used copper oxide and copper carbonate, combined with other chemicals such as sodium carbonate, olive paste and honey, to treat skin infections Copper workers in Paris were protected from several cholera epidemics and French wineries even applied copper sulphate and slaked lime, called Bordeaux mixture, to vines to prevent fungal attack.

Copper is amazing
But only now does our research describe how copper and its alloys exhibit these impressive properties  and the processes involved. The process involves the release of copper ions (electrically charged particles) when microbes, transferred by touching, sneezing or vomiting, land on the copper surface. The ions prevent cell respiration, punch holes in the bacterial cell membrane or disrupt the viral coat, and destroy the DNA and RNA inside.

This latter property is important as it means that no mutation can occur – preventing the microbe from developing resistance to copper. Global concern is growing over antimicrobial resistance and the risk of death that it presents from common infections in even minor operations. Therefore, it is fortunate that copper alloys kill superbugs, including MRSA and those from the notorious ESKAPE group of pathogens – the leading cause of hospital-acquired infections.

Transfer of antibiotic resistance genes from resistant bacteria to other bacteria is also stopped because the genes themselves are destroyed. These destructive properties are enhanced by the bacteria since they release small amounts of hydrogen peroxide. This reacts with the copper ions to form ferociously reactive oxygen, which also attacks and damages the microbes in multiple areas.

All of these laboratory studies have been translated into the healthcare environment. Studies worldwide have shown that, with routine cleaning, when copper alloy is used on regularly touched surfaces in busy wards and intensive care units, there is up to a 90% reduction in the numbers of live bacteria on their surfaces. This includes bed rails, chair arms, call buttons, over-bed tables, IV poles, taps and door handles.

Studies in three hospital intensive care units in the US also showed a remarkable 58% reduction in infection rates. So, unsurprisingly, copper alloy touch surfaces are now being deployed worldwide in airports, trains, train stations, busses, restaurant kitchens and gyms. The new Francis Crick Institute in London is kitted out in copper alloys, supporting its foresight and vision as a world-leading research centre for the public good.

Some common viruses have no vaccine available, such as the winter vomiting virus (norovirus) – the scourge of cruise ships. Others, such as influenza, mutate so rapidly that it is difficult for vaccines to keep up – and they need to be reformulated annually. Copper surfaces however wipe them out regardless of year-on-year changes in the microbes.

So if copper is so great, you may be wondering, why don’t hospitals have more copper fittings and fixtures? Well, while some hospitals are installing copper fittings, many others are still not aware of its properties. When doctors are asked to name an antimicrobial metal used in healthcare, the most common reply is silver – but little do they know that silver does not work as an antimicrobial surface when dry – moisture needs to be present and so silver would have an antibacterial effect, like copper does, on hand rails and surfaces which have frequent hand contact.

Cost could also be a factor. Hospitals may perceive hand-gel dispensers as cheaper options, despite the fact that these gels do not all kill all microbes – including the norovirus. Yet an independent study by University of York’s Health Economics Consortium has shown that, taking the reduced costs of shorter patient stay and treatment into consideration, the payback time for installing copper fittings is only two months.

Making and installing copper fittings is no more expensive than using materials such as stainless steel which, ironically, is considered easier to keep clean due to its bright surface. However, we know that these are covered in microscopic indentations and scratches from regular wear and tear, leaving valleys for superbugs and viruses to reside in and escape cleaning procedures. Cleaning happens at best once a day, while copper works 24/7 – so it is surely an important adjunct in the fight to keep the built environment clean.

The importance of installing copper fittings has been recognised in France where various hospitals are now installing copper. Finally, at least some nations of the world are waking up to this simple approach to control infection, let’s hope others are quick to follow suit.

http://theconversation.com/copper-is-gre...e-it-73103

My comment: even a thin layer of copper plating on a metal surface would do the trick. No, one does not need to take stuff apart and put it into molten copper. A coating of copper can be achieved by painting a metal surface in a solution of copper sulfate...

Fe + CuSO4 → FeSO4 + Cu
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

One facebook post for humor follows…

Quote:Going into lock down means you’re a proud supporter of messy hair, no make up and PJ’s all day!  Who is with me?

Gee.  That makes me a prophet in the non S&H sense?  I have been ready for the virus for years?
(03-13-2020, 01:49 PM)Mickey123 Wrote:
(03-13-2020, 02:43 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: AIDS in the USA  is now largely spread through IV needle use, especially with heroin. Americans are going to take much longer to see heroin use as mainstream behavior. 

This is off topic, but, actually AIDS is still primarily spread by gay men in the U.S.

https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/statistics/overv...lance.html

Of the new HIV diagnoses in 2018, 69% were men who have sex with men, 24% were heterosexuals, 7% were people who inject drugs.

It's hard to determine whether there are more homosexual men than there are IV addicts. At this point, good habits (such as condom use) can make homosexuality far safer than it used to be. IV drug use seems to be as dangerous as ever.

I spotted Meals on Wheels about to deliver, and opened the door as usual to pick up dinner. He instantly leaped back to maintain proper distance. The meal was left on the railing with no need for the deliver and I to come close to one another.

But I guess I committed a new no-no by opening the door before the other guy has had a chance to knock and retreat.

Live and learn?
My local propane delivery guy just appeared. I didn't go out to chat as usual. He didn't knock when he left the receipt on the door. For the first time the receipt was wrapped in a plastic bag. Little things...
We get our pet food from Chewy, and it's delivered by FedEx. We got a delivery today (as did the neighbors across the street). Normally, I chat with the driver. Not this time.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
One of my web bookmarks is Flightradar 24, which plots all aircraft in the air by listening to their anti collision transponders.  While for weeks they have been posting news snippets about how they are tracking fewer flights, today for the first time you could really see fewer little airplane icons on the map.

Naturally I have my map defaulting to the Boston to New York area.  I originally got interested in the web site to figure out where the tiny little dots trailing con trails really are.

Edit:  A second look at Flightradar 24 shows the planes that are still up tend more to be small private planes rather than airliners.  If you are wealthy enough to own an airplane, you are more apt to be using it.  If the airlines are slowing down, hop into your own plane.
Monday of last week was when we school first closed for me. I've only been outside to go to parks and playgrounds since then, but now I can't do the latter anymore, so I've just been walking around the neighborhood a few times a week. We haven't gotten any school assignments since our break started yet, unlike a lot of my online friends, but my math teacher recently announced she'll give us some soon, so that sucks I guess.
Also, my birthday is on Saturday, and I was really looking forward to going to my favorite restaurant with friends ;-;
Although, as a creative introvert, this quarantine stuff isn't that bad. I've gotten back into different video games, talking to online friends, reading, and I've even been working toward putting myself out there online through streaming!

I definitely plan on telling my kids how strange my first year of high school is/was.
(03-26-2020, 07:53 PM)Camz Wrote: Monday of last week was when we school first closed for me. I've only been outside to go to parks and playgrounds since then, but now I can't do the latter anymore, so I've just been walking around the neighborhood a few times a week. We haven't gotten any school assignments since our break started yet, unlike a lot of my online friends, but my math teacher recently announced she'll give us some soon, so that sucks I guess.
Also, my birthday is on Saturday, and I was really looking forward to going to my favorite restaurant with friends ;-;
Although, as a creative introvert, this quarantine stuff isn't that bad. I've gotten back into different video games, talking to online friends, reading, and I've even been working toward putting myself out there online through streaming!

I definitely plan on telling my kids how strange my first year of high school is/was.

I've been at home for 2 weeks already.
I expect much literature to appear about the reaction of people to this one virus, much as was so about AIDS. I do not know whether COVID-19 will kill like AIDS in scale, as the diseases are different in both manners of spread and course of destructive action.

Tonight’s Rachel Maddow show on MSNBC focused a lot of attention on a lack of leadership coming from the federal government leaving the 50 states and various government agencies competing for critical resources. Rachel put a lot of emphasis on this lack of finding out where there was the greatest need, and making sure there was a response there. The Massachusetts governor was among those that complained that time and man hours were being wasted trying to get resources which ended up going to the highest bidder. Valid contracts which the states thought answered their needs vanished when the source found a higher bidder.

That reminded me of something Trump said a few days back. Coordinating the response would inconvenience those who were making the resources available. In other words, Trump could stop the price gouging, but the elites making a profit off of death asked him not to.

Rachel and MSNBC were not attributing a profit motive, only a lack of needed leadership, but if I am begining to wonder, perhaps so should others.
(03-26-2020, 11:36 PM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: Tonight’s Rachel Maddow show on MSNBC focused a lot of attention on a lack of leadership coming from the federal government leaving the 50 states and various government agencies competing for critical resources.  Rachel put a lot of emphasis on this lack of finding out where there was the greatest need, and making sure there was a response there.  The Massachusetts governor was among those that complained that time and man hours were being wasted trying to get resources which ended up going to the highest bidder.  Valid contracts which the states thought answered their needs vanished when the source found a higher bidder.

Trump clearly is a leader when it comes to business ethics -- down to the septic tank.

Quote:That reminded me of something Trump said a few days back.  Coordinating the response would inconvenience those who were making the resources available.  In other words, Trump could stop the price gouging, but the elites making a profit off of death asked him not to.

Typical 3T practice -- profits over everything, including life. Let the poor die so that elites can indulge their sybaritic desires. It is cruel and ultimately destructive.  

Quote:Rachel and MSNBC were not attributing a profit motive, only a lack of needed leadership, but if I am begininng to wonder, perhaps so should others.

Does anyone attribute empathy to our President anymore?

(03-27-2020, 01:47 AM)pbrower2a Wrote:
(03-26-2020, 11:36 PM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote: Tonight’s Rachel Maddow show on MSNBC focused a lot of attention on a lack of leadership coming from the federal government leaving the 50 states and various government agencies competing for critical resources.  Rachel put a lot of emphasis on this lack of finding out where there was the greatest need, and making sure there was a response there.  The Massachusetts governor was among those that complained that time and man hours were being wasted trying to get resources which ended up going to the highest bidder.  Valid contracts which the states thought answered their needs vanished when the source found a higher bidder.

Trump clearly is a leader when it comes to business ethics -- down to the septic tank.

Quote:That reminded me of something Trump said a few days back.  Coordinating the response would inconvenience those who were making the resources available.  In other words, Trump could stop the price gouging, but the elites making a profit off of death asked him not to.

Typical 3T practice -- profits over everything, including life. Let the poor die so that elites can indulge their sybaritic desires. It is cruel and ultimately destructive.  

Quote:Rachel and MSNBC were not attributing a profit motive, only a lack of needed leadership, but if I am begininng to wonder, perhaps so should others.

Does anyone attribute empathy to our President anymore?
Two thoughts here. With this virus can’t help but wonder if someone or group may have been out to put a hex on the society as we know it, possibly even Mother Nature. This could be where the germ warfare comes in.

Despite many no doubt having feelings of isolation and loneliness, could this also enhance subconsciously if not upfront the need to slow down and connect with our bodies?  We still have the ability to exercise and do something physical or relax in a tub with some music in the background. Getting out and connecting with nature can also help reset one’s body and mind.  In the book the authors had Generation X morphing into Generation Exhausted and thus helping the society to slow down. Although this was said to be the hallmark of this generation I haven’t seen much evidence of this up until now when such has been forced upon us. Fast paced lifestyles have been the norm for the greater part of the last half century despite earlier predictions of an abundance of leisure. Sad that it took germ warfare to force us to slow down.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nevada governor limits malaria drugs for coronavirus patients girlmonday 0 812 03-06-2021, 04:00 AM
Last Post: girlmonday
  Coronavirus shows government is a problem, not the solution pmc 7 2,424 03-01-2021, 02:34 AM
Last Post: newvoter
  Hypothetical coronavirus in the 2T sbarrera 25 8,637 03-18-2020, 09:24 AM
Last Post: Warren Dew