Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Period vs What people are most nostalgic for in the period
In the early 90's, it was the late 60's that had the most nostalgia.

In the mid 90's, it was the early 70's that had the most nostalgia.

In the late 90's, it was the mid 70's that had the most nostalgia.

In the early 2000's, it was the late 70's that had the most nostalgia.

In the mid 2000's, it was the early 80's that had the most nostalgia.

In the late 2000's, it was the mid 80's that had the most nostalgia.

In the early 2010's, it was the late 80's that had the most nostalgia.

In the mid 2010's, it was the early 90's that had the most nostalgia.

In the late 2010's, it was the mid 90's that had the most nostalgia.
I would put the 60s after every sentence Smile for me anyway. But it's a good theory. 23-year echo. But I wonder, really really wonder whether there will ever be any nostalgia for any 21st century decade so far.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(04-24-2020, 11:19 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: I would put the 60s after every sentence Smile for me anyway. But it's a good theory. 23-year echo. But I wonder, really really wonder whether there will ever be any nostalgia for any 21st century decade so far.

There is definitely some early and mid 2000's nostalgia online now, but it isn't mainstream yet. I don't even think late 90's nostalgia has really entered the mainstream yet. Right now I feel like it's still mostly mid 90's nostalgia.

Nostalgia definitely seem more like 22-25 year echos.

I remember seeing someone post on another website about how late 90's nostalgia was "in" in 2018 and I was like, "please explain to me how darker flannel shirts and aviator eyeglasses are late 90's". Even a movie called Mid90s was released in 2018.
I doubt anybody will ever be nostalgic for a 4T. 1Ts and 2Ts are supposed to look forward
(04-25-2020, 04:38 AM)Blazkovitz Wrote: I doubt anybody will ever be nostalgic for a 4T. 1Ts and 2Ts are supposed to look forward

There is some, though. Ken Burns's Civil War film showed how the old soldiers would reenact the battle of Gettysburg and Picket's charge with the rebel yell every year, all the way into the 1930s. Our GI "greatest" generation had incredible nostalgia surrounding the days before they went off to the war, and "boy the way Glenn Miller played," those songs "In the Mood" and "Moonlight Serenade" captured their nostalgia for decades. And so many other great songs and movies from that time, and about that time.

But the 21st century, including the 3T portion? What an empty time. Virtually nothing worth remembering at all. I predict there will be no nostalgia for it. I could be wrong, but in that case, I won't sympathize or share in it as I would for the other periods.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(04-25-2020, 02:49 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(04-25-2020, 04:38 AM)Blazkovitz Wrote: I doubt anybody will ever be nostalgic for a 4T. 1Ts and 2Ts are supposed to look forward

There is some, though. Ken Burns's Civil War film showed how the old soldiers would reenact the battle of Gettysburg and Picket's charge with the rebel yell every year, all the way into the 1930s. Our GI "greatest" generation had incredible nostalgia surrounding the days before they went off to the war, and "boy the way Glenn Miller played," those songs "In the Mood" and "Moonlight Serenade" captured their nostalgia for decades. And so many other great songs and movies from that time, and about that time.

But the 21st century, including the 3T portion? What an empty time. Virtually nothing worth remembering at all. I predict there will be no nostalgia for it. I could be wrong, but in that case, I won't sympathize or share in it as I would for the other periods.

Recently, I've heard the old Hogie Carmichael song 'Stardust' in several movies and TV shows.  Usually, it's only the music.  I've heard it sung just once.  Back when couples had a song, it was hugely popular. I doubt we'll be hearing Hogie's other famous song 'I'm a Cranky Old Yank in a Clanky old Tank Singing the Beato Beato Flat on my Seato Hirohito Blues' -- still holding the record for longest song title.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
80s nostalgia still won't seem to go away. I guess I can't complain because most of the songs in the playlist are masterpieces. 2018 to 2020 has had the biggest spike in music quality I've seen in my life so far.
(04-25-2020, 02:49 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: But the 21st century, including the 3T portion? What an empty time. Virtually nothing worth remembering at all. I predict there will be no nostalgia for it. I could be wrong, but in that case, I won't sympathize or share in it as I would for the other periods.

Personally I'm quite nostalgic for the 2003-5 period, you even liked some of the songs I posted. I also liked the fact that during the 3T there wasn't nearly as much nostalgia as during the 4T. Nostalgia for a time with less nostalgia, fancy that!
(05-01-2020, 05:02 AM)Blazkovitz Wrote:
(04-25-2020, 02:49 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: But the 21st century, including the 3T portion? What an empty time. Virtually nothing worth remembering at all. I predict there will be no nostalgia for it. I could be wrong, but in that case, I won't sympathize or share in it as I would for the other periods.

Personally I'm quite nostalgic for the 2003-5 period, you even liked some of the songs I posted. I also liked the fact that during the 3T there wasn't nearly as much nostalgia as during the 4T. Nostalgia for a time with less nostalgia, fancy that!

I think it's possible to find some pretty good songs from any period, especially if you look beyond what is popular. My contention is that, on the whole, culture and music was very uninspired and just not very good in the 21st century, especially the most popular examples, even though exceptions apply such as the song in my signature line and some others.

The 2003-2005 period was pretty darn dreadful, although perhaps some people might be nostalgic for unnecessary, deadly invasion wars (Iraq) or for destructive hurricanes in which its victims were ignored and abused (Katrina), or perhaps nostalgic for the controversy about them or protests against them. But all that seems pretty un-nostalgia-worthy to me.

Will we be nostalgic for shelter-in-place, isolation, people dying from disease because of inept leadership, being cut off from friends and unable to form new relationships, i.e. [i]early-mid 2020[i]? I doubt it, and I don't hear any culture from this period yet that is worthy of nostalgia either. Does anyone?

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(05-01-2020, 11:36 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: The 2003-2005 period was pretty darn dreadful, although perhaps some people might be nostalgic for unnecessary, deadly invasion wars (Iraq) or for destructive hurricanes in which its victims were ignored and abused (Katrina), or perhaps nostalgic for the controversy about them or protests against them. But all that seems pretty un-nostalgia-worthy to me.

Okay, I'll post some positive events from that periods:
-the EU and NATO enlargement
-as a result of the very Iraq war you mock, Lybia destroyed all its WMDs
-Georgia and Ukraine became democracies
-the human genome was sequenced
-first successful human face transplant
-Spirit and Opportunity probes landed on Mars

Of course there is a lot of personal stuff I'm nostalgic for, and it's more important than the global events.
(04-25-2020, 02:49 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:

Nostalga for the Civil War, from the Civil War series.
https://youtu.be/mumPcoIZa_I

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Name people who were anomalies for their generation disasterzone 69 48,540 01-08-2023, 07:50 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green
  Common Mistakes People Make with Generational Theory JasonBlack 15 2,678 10-16-2022, 11:11 AM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Most Useless Famous People of Each Generation JasonBlack 13 3,312 03-06-2022, 02:40 PM
Last Post: JasonBlack
  Why is Consensus Important for People with Views not Winning? AspieMillennial 16 4,950 02-14-2022, 07:40 AM
Last Post: JasonBlack
  How does the Fourth Turning produce unity in the end when 4T people are terrible? AspieMillennial 6 3,873 05-18-2019, 08:25 PM
Last Post: Hintergrund
  Why do people think you need a giant social movement to search for obscure things? AspieMillennial 13 6,973 05-03-2019, 10:46 AM
Last Post: AspieMillennial