Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Civil War 4th turning
George Wallace's 'On Hallowed Ground' is a moving and reverent video portrait of the vast acreage near Gettysburg PA, where one of the final (and decisive) battles of the Civil War was fought 150 years ago. These sanctified, now-silent fields where so many perished offer a solemn, profound reminder of how hard a man will fight for a cause in which he truly believes.

This short video presents panoramic still images and live-action shots (some battle footage excerpted from the Esparza/Katz production of 'Gettysburg') taken on-location at the very site of the battle, and features the sweeping, heroic, orchestral musical score of composer George Wallace.

Don't miss it.

"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Hallowed Ground
by E. Alan Meece
UU Band of Writers
Eric A Meece, Jan.5, 2020

One of my favorite new age music artists, who lives near Gettysburg PA, wrote a piece and created a video called On Hallowed Ground to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg and Lincoln's Address. It is a very noble piece. His name is George Wallace, which is kind of ironic since that's also the name of a segregationist governor of Alabama who stood in the doorway of the University of Alabama to prevent a black student from attending. This was almost exactly 100 years after the battle, and prompted JFK to give a speech of comparable quality to Lincoln's, in which he introduced the civl rights bill.

Lincoln dedicated the hallowed ground of the Gettysburg battlefield by saying the soldiers consecrated it more than his words ever could. A noted historian in Ken Burns' The Civil War series pointed out that the battle continues and we all have a part to play,[1] just as JFK and the civil rights movement did. We have thus resolved that the soldiers did not die in vain, because we have continued to bring greater freedom into birth.

Now as the 2020s unfolds, we are in the midst of a cold civil war, and we must summon ourselves to conceive and perceive the will to freedom within ourselves and each other, and dedicate the ground we walk upon as hallowed, so we might preserve it for all the future battles and births to come.

[1] Barbara J. Fields

LINKS (see http://philosopherswheel.com/hallowedground.html )
including these youtube videos:

The Civil War by Ken Burns (1990, reissued 2015)

Was it not as in the old days with accompanying footage from a 1938 Battle of Gettysburg 75th anniversary event

Battle Cry of Freedom, arranged for piano for The Civil War series

Barbara Fields: The Civil War is in the Present as Well as in the Past, from Ken Burns Civil War Doc
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
At one time I was really into the Battle of Gettysburg, joined the Gettysburg Discussion Group, and created the Sickles’ Hole website.  It is more about the strategic level, the movement of corps, than the tactical discussions you often see.  It is also centered on General Sickle’s decision to move his III Corp forward on the second day.  It includes lots of pictures I took of the field.

It was written after years participating in the Gettysburg Discussion Group, and so does not contain a lot that such a group has said many times before.  Thus, the lack of tactical discussion.  But it does present a strategic view of the battle.
That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.
Should Donald Trump be re-elected then we could be in for another civil war. I failed to recognize the genius part of Trump's evil genius -- his ability to appeal to the visceral. I may know enough to not trust visceral, primitive drives, but multitudes trust them more than learning, reason, wisdom, conscience, caution, empathy, courage... We would be better off without our gut feelings if we don't know enough to judge them for their merits.

Donald Trump has succeeded to the extent that he has by appealing to the worst in human nature.

What a fool I was to think that life would ever be good again! Donald Trump will make America great -- in violence, inequity, ignorance, and cruelty. Maybe he will 'give' us a war for profits, the best ending of which would be the overthrow of his despotism.

Oh, so he promised jobs and law and order? Big deal. So did Hitler. Hitler got more people employed -- for the lowest industrial wages in Europe at the time, and under brutal management Trump will not give us law and order; he will stir up dissent that brings about a bloody crackdown. I dread what this man can do to anyone that he sees as a betrayer of his dreams.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Too many white Americans see themselves as being in the same sort of perils that Batman and/or Robin (usually both) faced in essentially every episode of the 1960s TV series - and they will perceive this danger becoming steadily more intense as their share of our population approaches the 50% mark, after which this will be a "majority-minority" nation.

This is why the odds of a Second Civil War are getting likelier and likelier.
"These, and many other matters which might be noticed, add a volume of unofficial declarations to the mass of organic utterances that this is a Christian nation" - Justice David Brewer, Church of the Holy Trinity v. United States, 1892
(11-11-2021, 09:22 AM)Anthony 58 Wrote: Too many white Americans see themselves as being in the same sort of perils that Batman and/or Robin (usually both) faced in essentially every episode of the 1960s TV series - and they will perceive this danger becoming steadily more intense as their share of our population approaches the 50% mark, after which this will be a "majority-minority" nation.

There won't be a second civil war. And even if there is, it most definitely will not be along racial lines, or geographic lines either. If this 4T ever gets violent I expect something more like The Troubles.
2001, a very artistic hero and/or a very heroic artist
(11-11-2021, 09:22 AM)Anthony Wrote: Too many white Americans see themselves as being in the same sort of perils that Batman and/or Robin (usually both) faced in essentially every episode of the 1960s TV series - and they will perceive this danger becoming steadily more intense as their share of our population approaches the 50% mark, after which this will be a "majority-minority" nation.

The Batman series of the 1960's was camp, with evil masterminds such as the Joker, the Riddler, Catwoman, the Penguin, Egghead, and Dr. Freeze hamming it up with absurd crimes. I can assure you that the usual criminal is a person who thinks himself imaginative, brilliant, wise, and resourceful despite being the opposite. The usual criminal is a materialistic, selfish, power-hungry fiend. Even rape is an expression of power over someone helpless at the moment. 

The white people who have it worst may have done well  (or their parents did well) when there were plenty of jobs in mines and factories that paid well. Many of those have no job opportunities but are hooked on meth, opiates, and booze.  I don't see the factory jobs coming back, let alone the coal seams. Donald Trump, who acts in many ways like one of the hyper-villains of the campy Batman series of the 1960's, offered the slogan "Make America Great Again" that many interpreted it however they wanted. Hey, the steel mills will be hiring again in Youngstown! Maybe people will again hear a modified version of Packard's slogan "Ask the man who owns one!" with (OK, Lauren Bacall is no longer available) a sultry female voice saying "Ask the woman who owns one!" 

Truth be told, the Millennial generation is not as divided as Boomers politically between the Left and Right. You may think that there will be enough Millennial adults to staff a Confederacy-like MAGA army, navy, and air force in "Red" states. but even there the Millennial generation is split almost evenly. The power struggle is among comparatively (and simply) old people who are now relics of the Culture Wars. 

It was easy about twenty years ago to imagine "Red" interests besieging "Blue" populations concentrated in giant cities by cutting off food, water, and electrical power and giving people in those communities the privilege of survival in return for signing over property, becoming hereditary serfs, or betraying "Blue" interests when the bulk of soldier-aged people were X and Millennial kids were still mostly children. At one time I saw the polarization of American politics much like Spain in the 1930's, between a very modern Left and a Right whose intellectual lives were still in medieval times except for industrial productivity, weapons, and means of repression. That possibility is over. The Right now relies exclusively upon chicanery and entrenched power.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  There Will Not Be A Triumphant End To This Turning galaxy 33 14,534 11-22-2023, 08:47 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  The center right will likely win the culture war JasonBlack 28 3,841 11-01-2022, 02:02 PM
Last Post: JasonBlack
  Life During the 1T of the Civil War Saeculum: "The Era of Good Feeling" JasonBlack 0 831 03-31-2022, 12:51 PM
Last Post: JasonBlack
  War & Military Turning & Generational Issues JDG 66 5 5,301 03-24-2022, 03:01 PM
Last Post: JDG 66
  First Turning "purge" Teejay 82 47,082 03-14-2022, 09:28 AM
  Generational Constellation Math For The Current And Next Turning galaxy 8 3,576 11-09-2021, 01:51 AM
  What the next First Turning won't be like Mickey123 145 61,078 10-07-2021, 01:15 AM
Last Post: Eric the Green
  I'm a sceptic that the 4th Turning started in 2008 Isoko 326 128,785 07-09-2021, 06:57 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green
  In What Turning do Neighborhood Communities come back? AspieMillennial 7 4,197 05-05-2020, 10:15 PM
Last Post: beechnut79
  Why does the Fourth Turning seem to take Forever? AspieMillennial 22 9,629 01-19-2020, 03:30 PM
Last Post: Anthony '58