Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problem with Gen Z monikers
Zoomers: More of a coincidence if anything that people are using Zoom for educational purposes. Even though this term predates the coronavirus pandemic by at least three years, no one born in 1997 and earlier was probably required to use Zoom at all for education purposes. People born in 1998-2001 used Zoom for college classes and anyone born from 2002-2005 used Zoom for high school.

Homelanders: Yes, 1997-2002 is usually viewed as Gen Z, but they were born before the establishment of Homeland Security. 2003 is literally the definition of a Homelander, as they were the first to be born after the establishment of Homeland Security. Similar to how 1982 is the literal definition of a Millennial because they graduated high school after Y2K.

Quaranteens: People born in 1997-1999 were never teens during the pandemic, as they were 20-22 when it started. 2000-2001 were still teens, but they were already legal adults. 

Quarantines: People born in 1990 were the first to start elementary school after the Oklahoma City bombing and people born in 1994 were the first to start elementary school after the Columbine shootings. Both were events (other than the pandemic and 9/11) that led to children being more sheltered, and were arguably turning points when it came to parenting. There were also other events that predate all of these that led to children being more sheltered. There is no "earliest starting year" you can use for this. Sheltering children more has been going on since the dawn of man.

iGen: People born in 1997-1998 (for the most part) were born before the iMac came out. People born in 1997-2001 (for the most part) were born before the iPod came out. People born in 1997-2006 were born before the iPhone came out. It's very ambiguous.

Echo Busters: Another bad one. Someone born in 2001 can easily have Baby Boomer/Prophet parents and someone born in 1989 can easily have Generation X/Nomad parents.
(06-05-2020, 07:28 PM)Ghost Wrote: Zoomers: Even though this term predates the coronavirus pandemic by at least three years, no one born in 1997 and earlier was probably required to use Zoom at all for education purposes. People born in 1998-2001 used Zoom for college classes and anyone born from 2002-2005 used Zoom for high school.

This has nothing to do with the zoom app. Like I said in the other thread, it's just the term boomer and Gen Z combined. It started as a dumb joke but the term seems to have stuck to the point that even news articles are using it. Hard to say if it'll remain as their main label or just as a cusp term since a good chunk of Gen Z are still in school right now.
(06-05-2020, 07:45 PM)Anteros Wrote:
(06-05-2020, 07:28 PM)Ghost Wrote: Zoomers: Even though this term predates the coronavirus pandemic by at least three years, no one born in 1997 and earlier was probably required to use Zoom at all for education purposes. People born in 1998-2001 used Zoom for college classes and anyone born from 2002-2005 used Zoom for high school.

This has nothing to do with the zoom app. Like I said in the other thread, it's just the term boomer and Gen Z combined. It started as a dumb joke but the term seems to have stuck to the point that even news articles are using it. Hard to say if it'll remain as their main label or just as a cusp term since a good chunk of Gen Z are still in school right now.

I know. The name has just become coincidental now.
I agree with most of your points, but I'd argue the name "Gen Z" is even more problematic. That name says nothing about its ""generation"" (really its a cusp), the only thing it implies is that its 2 generations after Gen X, which is a name actually makes sense.
I believe this Artist-Adaptive generation started in 2003 or 2004, those born before are generally more civic and bold (I was born in 2005 I'd know), generally share more Millennial traits, as well as more shared experiences and memories as a whole. Most on this forum would agree.
(06-06-2020, 10:33 AM)Camz Wrote: I agree with most of your points, but I'd argue the name "Gen Z" is even more problematic. That name says nothing about its ""generation"" (really its a cusp), the only thing it implies is that its 2 generations after Gen X, which is a name actually makes sense.
I believe this Artist-Adaptive generation started in 2003 or 2004, those born before are generally more civic and bold (I was born in 2005 I'd know), generally share more Millennial traits, as well as more shared experiences and memories as a whole. Most on this forum would agree.

Gen Z being the "school shooting generation" 
  • The first recorded school shooting in the United States took place on July 26, 1764. This was even before the US declared its independence from Britain.
  • Zero tolerance policies started to become a thing in around 1994 when even people born in 1976 were still in high school, but they weren't viewed as completely necessary until the aftermath of the Columbine shootings five years later when the oldest people in high school were born in 1981. There were also some notable school shootings even before then too, like the Olean shooting in 1974 and Frontier shooting in 1996.
  • Anyone who says this seem to forget the birthyears of those who were in school during the Columbine shootings: They were 1981-1993. Both perpetrators (Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold) were born in 1981, and their victims were born from 1951 to 1984.
  • People born in 1997-1999 were already out of high school when the Parkland shooting took place, and even people born in 2000-2002 weren't in K-4 (the grades taught by Sandy Hook school) when the Sandy Hook shooting happened.
Gen Z being "very socially conservative and alt-right"
  • A 2019 study showed that they were arguably more socially liberal than even their Millennial predecessors. 
  • By what I have seen, many people on the alt-right seem to be Gen Xers or older/core Millennials. Such examples include Varg Vikernes/Louis Cachet (born 1973), Richard Spencer (born 1978), Jason Kessler (born 1983), and Martin Sellner (born 1989). You do have some Gen Zers on the alt-right, like Nick Fuentes (born 1998) and Jaden McNeil (born 1999 or 2000), but their amounts are small compared to Gen X and Millennials. 
  • Many of the Charlottesville attendees were Millennials. However, someone in the Gen Z age bracket (James Alex Fields) committed a murder there.
  • Many of the ones in the George Floyd protests are probably born 1997+.
  • The March for our Lives movement and the September 2019 climate strikes are easy ways to disprove the "Gen Z is the most socially conservative generation since WWII" idea that started in around 2015.
  • If they were really that socially conservative or alt-right, I don't think they would be listening to people like Lil Nas X, Juice WRLD, or Billie Eilish.
Digital Natives: People born in 1997-2001 were born when most information was stored with analog technology. 2002 was when information was half and half between digital and analog. 2003+ was when information was mostly stored with digital technology.
(06-06-2020, 09:44 PM)Ghost Wrote: Digital Natives: People born in 1997-2001 were born when most information was stored with analog technology. 2002 was when information was half and half between digital and analog. 2003+ was when information was mostly stored with digital technology.

H-m-m-m.  Digital storage has been used for decades, albeit not as elegantly as it is today.  Analog storage is also common today, with companies like Iron Mountain maintain ongoing and massive storage facilities for all that paper we still love.  Both forms have inherent advantages the other lacks.  I doubt we'll see an end to either.

Remember, it's much harder to forge analog anything than it is to forge the digital equivalent.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gen Z Name Finally Decided: jleagans 10 5,855 08-13-2020, 06:45 PM
Last Post: RadianMay
  Gen Z Name: iGen jleagans 20 11,996 11-17-2018, 06:44 AM
Last Post: Bill the Piper