Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Generations and Big 5 Personality
Does anyone think there is a correlation with generational archetypes and personality trait theory?
ammosexual
reluctant millennial
I don't have any data, but I've observed the following correlations
Idealists:
- slightly higher on extroversion
- slightly lower on agreeableness
- higher on openness (but tends to decrease more with age)

Reactives:
- slightly lower on extroversion
- lower on agreeableness
- slightly higher on neuroticism

Civics:
- higher on trait agreeableness
- higher on conscientiousness
- slightly higher on extroversion
- slightly lower on openness

Adaptives:
- slightly lower on extroversion
- higher on neuroticism
- higher on agreeableness
ammosexual
reluctant millennial
I fit the Reactive pattern on character traits well. I am a Boomer.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Do you have a link to this Big 5 test?
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(12-19-2022, 03:41 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: I fit the Reactive pattern on character traits well. I am a Boomer.

Interesting, I would have taken you as somewhat more agreeable. You seem to tolerate conflict relatively well though, so it's not too surprising.
ammosexual
reluctant millennial
(12-19-2022, 03:47 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: Do you have a link to this Big 5 test?

This one might work.
https://bigfive-test.com/

If you're willing to pay a bit for one, Jordan Peterson has a bifurcated Big 5 test (breaks each trait down into two subtraits) and has the data normed based off of a sample size of several thousand people.
https://www.understandmyself.com/?gclid=...qWEALw_wcB
ammosexual
reluctant millennial
Too many scores, and too many fonts to correct when I copy the results. SO, Just my big five:

Neuroticism
score: 74 - high
Neuroticism refers to the tendency to experience negative feelings.

Extraversion
score: 75 - high
Extraversion is marked by pronounced engagement with the external world.

Openness To Experience
score: 98 - high
Openness to Experience describes a dimension of cognitive style that distinguishes imaginative, creative people from down-to-earth, conventional people.

Agreeableness
score: 82 - high
Agreeableness reflects individual differences in concern with cooperation and social harmony. Agreeable individuals value getting along with others.

Conscientiousness
score: 74 - high
Conscientiousness concerns the way in which we control, regulate, and direct our impulses.

I copied my results to my disc OK if anyone wants to know more.

It seems I fit your description of idealist pretty well, Jason.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(12-20-2022, 03:55 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: Neuroticism score: 74 - high
Extraversion score: 75 - high
Openness To Experience score: 98 - high
Agreeableness score: 82 - high
Conscientiousness score: 74 - high

This more or less matches my impression of you. Is that your results from the JP test or the first one?

My scores as per the Jordan Peterson test were as follows:

Agreeableness
Compassion: 0% Percentile ?
"Politeness" (Compliance): 7th Percentile
Overall: 1st Percentile

Conscientiousness
Industriousness: 73rd Percentile
Orderliness: 12th Percentile
Overall: 38th Percentile

Extraversion
Enthusiasm: 8th Percentile
Assertiveness: 68th Percentile
Overall: 31st Percentile

Neuroticism
Withdrawal: 2rd Percentile
Volatility: 7th Percentile
Overall: 3rd Percentile

Openness to Experience
Artistic Openness: 87th Percentile
Intellect: 89th Percentile
Overall: 92nd Percentile

Overall thoughts: most of these seem about right, but
- jfc, ZERO percentile for compassion? I swear I was not just trying to be edgy when I answered. I thought surely my score would have gone up a bit over the last few years. There is no way I'm THAT much of an asshole ?(I would have thought maybe around the 10th percentile would make more sense)
- I don't think I'm that low on withdrawal. If anything, switching them so it was more like 7th for withdrawal and 2nd for volatility sounds more accurate to me
- I expected assertiveness to be a bit higher. Probably because "assertive" in this context also means "take charge", which I do less of if it isn't important. Most people would argue I'm pretty "assertive" in the colloquial sense, but not usually the person who "gets things going".
ammosexual
reluctant millennial
(12-20-2022, 06:22 PM)JasonBlack Wrote:
(12-20-2022, 03:55 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: Neuroticism score: 74 - high
Extraversion score: 75 - high
Openness To Experience score: 98 - high
Agreeableness score: 82 - high
Conscientiousness score: 74 - high

This more or less matches my impression of you. Is that your results from the JP test or the first one?

My scores as per the Jordan Peterson test were as follows:

Agreeableness
Compassion: 0% Percentile ?
"Politeness" (Compliance): 7th Percentile
Overall: 1st Percentile

Conscientiousness
Industriousness: 73rd Percentile
Orderliness: 12th Percentile
Overall: 38th Percentile

Extraversion
Enthusiasm: 8th Percentile
Assertiveness: 68th Percentile
Overall: 31st Percentile

Neuroticism
Withdrawal: 2rd Percentile
Volatility: 7th Percentile
Overall: 3rd Percentile

Openness to Experience
Artistic Openness: 87th Percentile
Intellect: 89th Percentile
Overall: 92nd Percentile

Overall thoughts: most of these seem about right, but
- jfc, ZERO percentile for compassion? I swear I was not just trying to be edgy when I answered. I thought surely my score would have gone up a bit over the last few years. There is no way I'm THAT much of an asshole ?(I would have thought maybe around the 10th percentile would make more sense)
- I don't think I'm that low on withdrawal. If anything, switching them so it was more like 7th for withdrawal and 2nd for volatility sounds more accurate to me
- I expected assertiveness to be a bit higher. Probably because "assertive" in this context also means "take charge", which I do less of if it isn't important. Most people would argue I'm pretty "assertive" in the colloquial sense, but not usually the person who "gets things going".

I don't think I would trust Peterson and I would not want to pay. The free one. But the scoring seems not the same system.

I marked neutral or moderate on most of the questions.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(12-19-2022, 04:35 PM)JasonBlack Wrote:
(12-19-2022, 03:41 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: I fit the Reactive pattern on character traits well. I am a Boomer.

Interesting, I would have taken you as somewhat more agreeable. You seem to tolerate conflict relatively well though, so it's not too surprising.

I'm one of those kids who grew up in middle-class privilege, but got burned as the neoliberal norm set in. I am able to tolerate disagreement to a point (if I can learn something) but beyond that -- you have seen my debates with kinser (whether a Stalinist or a pro-Trump fanatic) and Classic X'er (who says that anyone who believes differently from him isn't a real American. Classic X'er seems like the sort who would be an enforcer of some king in some "American" version of a KZ-lager.

(A hint: the only lager I have any use for is a beer).

History is almost Hegelian; all forms of progress, even in culture, require conflict but also some resolution. Good ideas ideally triumph and bad ones fail; meritorious culture thrives and schlock goes to the landfill or the bonfire of the vanities. Neoliberal ideas were great for those with the wealth and privilege but horrible for everyone else. I cannot accept that the Common Man exists solely to make people already filthy rich even more filthy rich, to indulge the worst tendencies of dissipation among the rich at the cost of all hope for those who provide the service, or to be brutal enforcers of the will of those who own the assets. Technology typically serves the promotion of alternatives unless callow interests hijack it (think of televangelists).
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Homophobia in different generations JasonBlack 2 736 07-23-2022, 07:46 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Sub-Generations JasonBlack 3 1,015 05-07-2022, 11:33 PM
Last Post: galaxy
  The advantage of recessive generations JasonBlack 2 1,085 03-17-2022, 06:35 PM
  What are the Generations of other countries Phantom 0 923 12-28-2021, 07:24 AM
Last Post: Phantom
  Current anomaly: Five generations alive! Hintergrund 90 47,989 12-12-2021, 02:10 PM
Last Post: Anthony '58
  Why do S&H start Civic generations so early? Blazkovitz 24 12,149 09-04-2021, 09:42 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  LPTs for the generations to live up to their archetypal role sbarrera 27 9,760 07-26-2021, 11:13 PM
  Is it typical for adjacent generations to not know each other all that well? nguyenivy 3 1,875 06-29-2021, 07:09 PM
Last Post: AspieMillennial
  Why cultural "generations" are flawed Ghost 14 7,183 06-17-2021, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Ghost
  Are cultural/mainstream generations = / = historical/sociological generations? Ghost 5 2,969 12-15-2020, 12:17 AM
Last Post: Warren Dew