Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump brought the Regeneracy, just not in the way he expected.
(03-11-2017, 05:24 PM)SomeGuy Wrote: Was it necessary to block quote the entire article?  The link and maybe an excerpt would have been fine.

Marches are well and all, it remains to be seen the extent to which progressives manage to translate that to effective political organization.  Thus far, they couldn't even win the Democratic presidential primary or the succeeding race for DNC chair.

If the Left could transmute autistic screeching into political power we'd have a communist state by now.  Unfortunately I strongly suspect that it is just autistic screeching.  I'm sure Odin, Eric and others see these protests and are like "OMG its Civil Rights all over again" while everyone else sees this.

I'm buying stock in ear plugs companies.
It really is all mathematics.

Turn on to Daddy, Tune in to Nationalism, Drop out of UN/NATO/WTO/TPP/NAFTA/CAFTA Globalism.
(03-11-2017, 05:24 PM)SomeGuy Wrote: Was it necessary to block quote the entire article?  The link and maybe an excerpt would have been fine.

Marches are well and all, it remains to be seen the extent to which progressives manage to translate that to effective political organization.  Thus far, they couldn't even win the Democratic presidential primary or the succeeding race for DNC chair.

Sorry, old habit from when internet was slower.
#MakeTheDemocratsGreatAgain
(03-11-2017, 05:33 PM)Kinser79 Wrote: If the Left could transmute autistic screeching into political power we'd have a communist state by now.  Unfortunately I strongly suspect that it is just autistic screeching.  I'm sure Odin, Eric and others see these protests and are like "OMG its Civil Rights all over again" while everyone else sees this.

"Autistic screeching" really? You know that many of us here are on the spectrum, right? You are a massive jack-ass.
(03-11-2017, 06:48 PM)Odin Wrote:
(03-11-2017, 05:33 PM)Kinser79 Wrote: If the Left could transmute autistic screeching into political power we'd have a communist state by now.  Unfortunately I strongly suspect that it is just autistic screeching.  I'm sure Odin, Eric and others see these protests and are like "OMG its Civil Rights all over again" while everyone else sees this.

"Autistic screeching" really? You know that many of us here are on the spectrum, right? You are a massive jack-ass.

Thank you for the complement.

I only know how many people make the claim on being "on the spectrum".  I don't have access to everyone's medial records so I don't know how many such people actually are on the spectrum.  And neither do you.

And by the way this is coming from someone who who was told once by a psychologist that he could have Aspburgers (which is no longer recognized---because being an asshole is not a disease).

Turn on to Daddy, Tune in to Nationalism, Drop out of UN/NATO/WTO/TPP/NAFTA/CAFTA Globalism.

Fortunately, progressives are not limited to those who supported Sanders or Ellison, but also includes many of those who supported Hillary and Perez as well.

The article Odin posted was very good; worth reading.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Come on, Odin, let's not play this game.  Even I have been accused of being on "the spectrum", including by a VA psychiatrist (I also had another, much more highly-regarded psychiatrist tell me that was stupid and she wasn't surprised the other doctor worked at the VA).

The only person on here I would genuinely believe has some sort of pervasive developmental disorder is PBrower, who somehow manages to be monotone and avoid making eye contact even in a written exchange conducted over the Internet.  The rest of us are just geeks. Or cranks, lot of those around here, too.

I see that you are trying to get a little higher on the SJW victim hierarchy.  Good luck with that. Rolleyes
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard. -- H.L. Mencken

If one rejects laissez faire on account of man's fallibility and moral weakness, one must for the same reason also reject every kind of government action.   -- Ludwig von Mises
(03-11-2017, 10:09 PM)SomeGuy Wrote:

Come on, Odin, let's not play this game.  Even I have been accused of being on "the spectrum", including by a VA psychiatrist (I also had another, much more highly-regarded psychiatrist tell me that was stupid and she wasn't surprised the other doctor worked at the VA).

The only person on here I would genuinely believe has some sort of pervasive developmental disorder is PBrower, who somehow manages to be monotone and avoid making eye contact even in a written exchange conducted over the Internet.  The rest of us are just geeks. Or cranks, lot of those around here, too.

I would go so far as to argue that the number of people with actual psychological disorders on there is very small. Specifically, PBR (Depression), and Alphabet (paranoid schizophrenia). As for PBR himself, I don't think his monotone avoiding making eye contact behavior is due to a developmental disorder--rather is is probably the result of a severe case of a more common mental illness Depression.

With Alphabet there are months where he seems almost normal (like he's taking his meds or something) and then there are months where literally everything and everyone is (bugbear du jour). But even that could be explained by a more common mental condition--drugs abuse.

(03-12-2017, 01:19 AM)Galen Wrote:

I see that you are trying to get a little higher on the SJW victim hierarchy.  Good luck with that. Rolleyes

Well Odin hasn't said anything about being queer, or having gender dysphoria, so he's obviously straight, and not-dysphoric. Also he is white, being a Swede or some such thing so he's pretty much screwed if he wants to play oppression Olympics with me.

Good thing the oppression Olympics is bullshit.

(03-12-2017, 02:25 AM)Kinser79 Wrote:

Well Odin hasn't said anything about being queer, or having gender dysphoria, so he's obviously straight, and not-dysphoric. Also he is white, being a Swede or some such thing so he's pretty much screwed if he wants to play oppression Olympics with me.

Not with you but consider what kind of peer group he has.  Among that crowd it might be useful.
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard. -- H.L. Mencken

If one rejects laissez faire on account of man's fallibility and moral weakness, one must for the same reason also reject every kind of government action.   -- Ludwig von Mises
(03-12-2017, 02:28 AM)Galen Wrote:
(03-12-2017, 02:25 AM)Kinser79 Wrote:

Not with you but consider what kind of peer group he has.  Among that crowd it might be useful.

I don't think his actual peer group is here.  So I don't see how playing that game is winning him any points with anyone at present.  If anything it just provides me with ammunition.  Even when I was on the left I considered it intersectionality to be bullshit.  It's like "Okay so what you're saying is 'peoples lives suck for more than one reason...great can we get back to discussing the working class now?'".

We did have a SJW type in my local party division.  They were expelled as was the person who brought them in.  Both were disruptive enough that I could make the case to the District that they were Agent Provocateurs.

For the record -- I do not have Asperger's; Asperger's has me. It has made a mess of certain aspects of my life. I would rather be a homosexual than have Asperger's. If there were a safe and effective  'melanin therapy' for Asperger's I would accept it.  Yes, I know from the inside what white racists think of black people.

I wouldn't give up the IQ points because my IQ level defines much of what I am, and that is benign. I wouldn't trade Asperger's for an evil personality, schizophrenia, paranoia, chemical dependency, or malignant narcissism. I may have to be a liberal because a reactionary with Asperger's could be an extreme a$$hole who makes life miserable for others even if he gives himself and loved ones a plush life... the sort of life  likely to end in the wake of a revo0lution such as those of France in 1789, Russia in 1917, China in 1949, or Cuba in 1959. The economic and political system does good for the majority or it has only terror and brutality to maintain the subordination.   Unless one is a Victor Ippolitovich* Komarovsky (a villain in Doctor Zhivago) who successfully plays both sides, hedging his bets between the Establishment and the Revolutionary cause, putting himself in the indispensible role for either should the Revolution succeed or fail as a brutal enforcer who betrays half the people with which he associates on behalf of the other half, one must take sides or be damned to a miserable existence whether under an Establishment devoid of moral compass or a revolutionary cause that becomes similarly exploitative and oppressive fast.

Do you think that I would rather have a happy family life and a steady job (which could be as a meat-cutter or a garage mechanic, as there are happy people with such jobs) than have so much potential that society has wasted? The only good thing about wasted potential is that I have not become an oppressor, tempting as that role is for those who become oppressors.

*I don't know what the Russian word for "hypocrite" is... something like "ipokrit"? Great writers often do word-plays with names.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(03-12-2017, 04:57 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: For the record -- I do not have Asperger's; Asperger's has me.

Actually you don't. It isn't even a recognized condition. See DSM-V. You are just using it as an excuse to explain your failings as a human just like Odin does. I am willing to agree that you probably have Clinical Depression--but that doesn't make you very special loads of people have that, there is much about the world to be depressed about.

Quote:It has made a mess of certain aspects of my life.

No you've made a mess of those aspects of your life. Even if Aspergers were a recognized disorder (which it isn't) it doesn't negate your own responsibilities for your actions and the consequences of those actions.

Quote:I would rather be a homosexual than have Asperger's.

Homosexuality is not a mental disorder--not even a make-believe one. It is as innate to a person as is being left or right handed. Besides being a fag wouldn't confer onto you snowflake status (which I suspect you crave) by virtue of being white, male, and not having gender dysphoria (which is a real mental disorder that the likes of Odin want to normalize).

Quote:If there were a safe and effective  'melanin therapy' for Asperger's I would accept it.  Yes, I know from the inside what white racists think of black people.

Correction, you know from the inside what some white racists think of black people. The other racists--the type mostly found on the Left stems from a desire to strip blacks of their own agency and responsibility. I often call it the bigotry of low expectations.

It would be traumatic I'm sure to have a cross burnt in my yard, but I would prefer that than to be coddled because I'm just a dumb ignorant negro. Which is exactly how white liberals treat me. At least on the right the racists are open in their racism. Better the nazi you see than the nazi you don't see, as my neighbor (a Holocaust survivor) would put it.

Quote:I wouldn't trade Asperger's for an evil personality, schizophrenia, paranoia, chemical dependency, or malignant narcissism.

I would think that trading an imaginary mental disorder for a real one would be a bad trade. You likely already have clincal depression and that can drive many over the edge as it is. Just sayin'.

Quote:Do you think that I would rather have a happy family life and a steady job (which could be as a meat-cutter or a garage mechanic, as there are happy people with such jobs) than have so much potential that society has wasted? The only good thing about wasted potential is that I have not become an oppressor, tempting as that role is for those who become oppressors.

I think that life is what you make it. Honestly PBR, it is my view that if you had a relatively placid family (say wife and 2.5 kids and a dog named Spot) and a steady job that provided you the means to support said placid family you'd still be unhappy. The reason being clinical depression, for which you probably should seek antidepressants.

But in a hypothetical situation wherein you didn't have that mental illness, you could either be happy or unhappy dependent on your choices. I know plenty of people who should be happy but aren't. They aren't because they choose to be unhappy. I'm not in that category. It is tru that my potential is greatly wasted running a donut shop--I have the skills and training to run a five star restaurant. But for me, I chose to not join that particular rat race. I had a taste of it, and I decided I'd rather have a boyfriend and a house in the inner burbs instead.

Quote:*I don't know what the Russian word for "hypocrite" is... something like "ipokrit"? Great writers often do word-plays with names.

Not even close. The Russian word for hypocrite is лицемер (transliteration: litsemer). You're example might be decent word play for a Russian character speaking English with a heavy accent (Russian doesn't really have an "H" sound, at least not one that stands on its own--so for example Russian Immigrants to English Speaking countries will often drop the H when speaking English unless it is attached to a preceeding letter "TH", "SH" "CH" for example), but in the Russian language itself it doesn't translate. Sorry.

(03-12-2017, 05:50 AM)Kinser79 Wrote:
(03-12-2017, 04:57 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: For the record -- I do not have Asperger's; Asperger's has me.

Actually you don't.  It isn't even a recognized condition.  See DSM-V. You are just using it as an excuse to explain your failings as a human just like Odin does.  I am willing to agree that you probably have Clinical Depression--but that doesn't make you very special loads of people have that, there is much about the world to be depressed about.

Quote:It has made a mess of certain aspects of my life.

No you've made a mess of those aspects of your life.  Even if Aspergers were a recognized disorder (which it isn't) it doesn't negate your own responsibilities for your actions and the consequences of those actions.

Had I known about it I might have done many things differently.  I would have been open about something harmless to those involved with me. It has physical consequences, including intolerance of loud sounds (which precludes being in noisy environments or enjoying rock concerts).  I would be honest with any prospective spouse or employer about it.

Asperger's has been merged into the autism spectrum... and I am 'high-functioning' to the extent that I must do an acting job just to seem normal.

Quote:
Quote:I would rather be a homosexual than have Asperger's.

Homosexuality is not a mental disorder--not even a make-believe one.  It is as innate to a person as is being left or right handed.  Besides being a fag wouldn't confer onto you snowflake status (which I suspect you crave) by virtue of being white, male, and not having gender dysphoria (which is a real mental disorder that the likes of Odin want to normalize).

Because homosexuality is not a moral pathology. It isn't a pathology at all, except to bigots.

Quote:
Quote:If there were a safe and effective  'melanin therapy' for Asperger's I would accept it.  Yes, I know from the inside what white racists think of black people.

Correction, you know from the inside what some white racists think of black people.  The other racists--the type mostly found on the Left stems from a desire to strip blacks of their own agency and responsibility.  I often call it the bigotry of low expectations.

It would be traumatic I'm sure to have a cross burnt in my yard, but I would prefer that than to be coddled because I'm just a dumb ignorant negro.  Which is exactly how white liberals treat me.  At least on the right the racists are open in their racism.  Better the nazi you see than the nazi you don't see, as my neighbor (a Holocaust survivor) would put it.

I have known overt white racists. I have heard them say things that they would never dare say  in the presence of someone 'melanin-rich'. They don't have to use the N-word, something that I largely associate with people with weak control of their impulses; those people also use much profanity.

Quote:
Quote:I wouldn't trade Asperger's for an evil personality, schizophrenia, paranoia, chemical dependency, or malignant narcissism.

I would think that trading an imaginary mental disorder for a real one would be a bad trade.  You likely already have clincal depression and that can drive many over the edge as it is.  Just sayin'.

I forgot to mention Tourette's syndrome. No, I know about evil consequences of sociopathy, psychopathy, addiction, and pathological narcissism... and I recognize the heartbreak that comes from some other problems.

Clinical depression has many different causes from experiencing grief, abuse, and oppression. Imagine some 'Bantu' or even 'Coloured' raised in South Africa under Apartheid. Depression is a likely companion. Is the depressed person in some psychological disorder? No -- it was Apartheid that was the political disorder.

Quote:
Quote:Do you think that I would rather have a happy family life and a steady job (which could be as a meat-cutter or a garage mechanic, as there are happy people with such jobs)  than have so much potential that society has wasted? The only good thing about wasted potential is that I have not become an oppressor, tempting as that role is for those who become oppressors.

I think that life is what you make it.  Honestly PBR, it is my view that if you had a relatively placid family (say wife and 2.5 kids and a dog named Spot) and a steady job that provided you the means to support said placid family you'd still be unhappy.  The reason being clinical depression, for which you probably should seek antidepressants.

Yeah,  sure, and a paraplegic who has a strong-enough will can dance like Fred Astaire. I have more of a problem with anxiety, and I have gotten the advice to have a drink to dissolve the anxiety. One drink is enough, and it is safer than pills. It's the third drink that is the problem.

Quote:But in a hypothetical situation wherein you didn't have that mental illness, you could either be happy or unhappy dependent on your choices.  I know plenty of people who should be happy but aren't.  They aren't because they choose to be unhappy.  I'm not in that category.  It is tru that my potential is greatly wasted running a donut shop--I have the skills and training to run a five star restaurant.  But for me, I chose to not join that particular rat race.

For a real rat-race, try retail.

Quote:*I don't know what the Russian word for "hypocrite" is... something like "ipokrit"? Great writers often do word-plays with names.

Not even close.  The Russian word for hypocrite is лицемер (transliteration: litsemer).  You're example might be decent word play for a Russian character speaking English with a heavy accent (Russian doesn't really have an "H" sound, at least not one that stands on its own--so for example Russian Immigrants to English Speaking countries will often drop the H when speaking English unless it is attached to a preceeding letter "TH", "SH" "CH" for example), but in the Russian language itself it doesn't translate.  Sorry.[/quote]

For years, Doctor Zhivago sold far better (and lawfully) in countries with non-Slavic languages.

I checked Wikipedia for its dictionary, and I found that all the Romance languages, English (but no other Germanic language), Greek (the source), Esperanto, Albanian, Basque, and Polish (the only Slavic language  to do so) have words obviously connected to υποκριτής
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

We're getting cluttered tags again.  I don't know why you insist on using color tags for no apparent reason.

PBR Wrote:Had I known about it I might have done many things differently.

Had I known Marxism-Leninism was a dead end road I'd have done many things differently.

Quote:I would have been open about something harmless to those involved with me. It has physical consequences, including intolerance of loud sounds (which precludes being in noisy environments or enjoying rock concerts).

Those symptoms are not indicative of any spectrum disorder on their own.  I for example cannot attend any racing event without wearing ear protection--same is true for loud rock concerts.  (Yes I still go--I take the kids now.)  So you have good hearing, being able to hear is not a symptom of anything.  Nor is loud noises over a period of time becoming annoying or even giving one a headache.  All of those things are normal experiences.

Quote:I would be honest with any prospective spouse or employer about it.

I would argue that telling a prospective spouse or employer that you have a fictitious mental condition is a recipe for being forever alone and forever unemployed.

Quote:Asperger's has been merged into the autism spectrum... and I am 'high-functioning' to the extent that I must do an acting job just to seem normal.

Not quite.  My understanding is that Asperger's itself was dropped from the spectrum entirely.  It isn't even recognized as a condition at all.  There may or may not be persons with 'high functioning' autism that may have had that diognosis at one time but that's about it.  You are either autistic or you are not autistic.

I know some actual autistic people--they are clearly different from neuro-typical people.  Their differences manifest in many ways which can include but is not limited social awkwadness and unusual passions.  However, being socially awkward or having unusual passions in and of themselves does not indicate autism.

In short Asperger's was dropped in the DSM-V because it was so broad as to make just about anyone who is/was remotely socially awkward (which is around 7 billion people at the moment) and who might have a passion that others would think at least a little strange (again around 7 billion people at the moment).  In short if everyone has Asperger's than no one does.

As for acting to just seem normal...welcome to the club everyone else is in.  Normality is an act--always has been an act, and who defines what is and is not normal anyway.

Quote: Because homosexuality is not a moral pathology. It isn't a pathology at all, except to bigots

Neither is autism (which you don't have).  While the cause remains uncertain most psychologists seem to believe it is caused either by chemical or strutural differences in the brains of autistic people in comparison to neuro-typical people.  In short autism is a neuro-pathology.

Quote:I have known overt white racists. I have heard them say things that they would never dare say  in the presence of someone 'melanin-rich'. They don't have to use the N-word, something that I largely associate with people with weak control of their impulses; those people also use much profanity.

You missed my point.  Given the choice of dealing with overt racists (white or black) or closet racists (most SJW types) I'd rather deal with the overt ones.  They are easily detected and dealt with.  With the closet racists they always leave you wondering "is X actually racist or just stupid?"

Quote:Clinical depression has many different causes from experiencing grief, abuse, and oppression. Imagine some 'Bantu' or even 'Coloured' raised in South Africa under Apartheid. Depression is a likely companion. Is the depressed person in some psychological disorder? No -- it was Apartheid that was the political disorder.

It is possible that a great many people became depressed because of political disorders like apartheid.  But unless you plan on claming to be a Bantu or Coloured South African you cannot make that claim.  As for Abuse...you are a man in his 60s I would say that any abuse you suffered as a child the statute of limitations is long over for and you have to take responsibility for your actions afterward.  I find it difficult to believe that a white male in America was in any way oppressed except perhaps by a clique of local SJWs.  But they also oppress blacks who have the wrong type of blackness (like myself-even though as a kid I had one of these Afro ).

As for Apartheid, and racism the cure for both is to stop being racist.  Not reversing who the racism targets (hating a white man for being white is exactly the same as hating a black man for being black).  This means that racism both of the more simple overt type, and the more pernicious closeted type must be stamped out.

As I've said elswhere either we have identity politics for everyone or we have identity politics for no one.  If we have it for everyone then types like Spencer and Taylor (as distasteful as they may be) must have a place at the table just like Jessie Jackson, Al Sharpton and Louis Farrakhan (as distasteful as they are).

Quote:Yeah,  sure, and a paraplegic who has a strong-enough will can dance like Fred Astaire.

A paraplegic has an unchangeable physical condition that cannot be changed.  Depression can be treated--better living though chemistry.

Quote:I have more of a problem with anxiety, and I have gotten the advice to have a drink to dissolve the anxiety. One drink is enough, and it is safer than pills. It's the third drink that is the problem.

While alcohol is a relatively safe home remedy for some problems it is a depressant and thus actually makes a problem with depression (which probably is the root cause of your anxiety anyway) worse.  Most anti-depressants are relatively safe these days.  I doubt you would require something stronger than a prozac or similar--but I'm not an MD. 

If you insist on a home remedy for anxiety, marijuana is both safer, and more effective than alcohol.  Which is why I partake of the holy herb.  I typically save alcohol for drinking beer while watching sports or going out or after working outside all day  (a cold but not ice cold beer is good for when you've spent your day pressure washing the house for example)--or Gin and Juice for when I've got the flu or something.

It should be noted that my anxiety problems are more generalized--mostly stemming from the tight economy which is just now starting to improve.

Quote:For a real rat-race, try retail.

No thanks, I'd rather castrate myself with a spork. Dodgy

That's supposed to be a joke...

The only person on here I would genuinely believe has some sort of pervasive developmental disorder is PBrower, who somehow manages to be monotone and avoid making eye contact even in a written exchange conducted over the Internet.  The rest of us are just geeks.  Or cranks, lot of those around here, too.

I had a full screening when I was 15 and am officially diagnosed. It's not nearly as obvious, anymore, in my outward behavior compared to when I was younger, but I still have plenty of stereotypically autistic sensory issues.

Oh, and a common behavior in young autistic kids is them walking on their toes, one of my nicknames when I was a little kid was "tippy-toes". Big Grin

I think Brower's issues come more from depression than from his Asperger's.
(03-12-2017, 02:25 AM)Kinser79 Wrote: Well Odin hasn't said anything about being queer, or having gender dysphoria, so he's obviously straight, and not-dysphoric. Also he is white, being a Swede or some such thing so he's pretty much screwed if he wants to play oppression Olympics with me.

Norwegian, actually. And I don't have time for the "my preferred made up pronouns are" Tumblr insanity, I just hate people being bigoted assholes.
Quote:And I don't have time for the "my preferred made up pronouns are" Tumblr insanity, I just hate people being bigoted assholes.

Then you're obviously a bigoted asshole.  Ze lives matter!  Angry
(03-13-2017, 07:37 AM)Odin Wrote:
(03-12-2017, 02:25 AM)Kinser79 Wrote: Well Odin hasn't said anything about being queer, or having gender dysphoria, so he's obviously straight, and not-dysphoric. Also he is white, being a Swede or some such thing so he's pretty much screwed if he wants to play oppression Olympics with me.

Norwegian, actually. And I don't have time for the "my preferred made up pronouns are" Tumblr insanity, I just hate people being bigoted assholes.

I was close enough. Be glad I didn't accuse you of being German or *gasp* Anglo-Saxon. I'm sure your life would ended.

I don't have time for any of that New Left regressive nonsense. I didn't have time for it when I was a communist. Which is why you used to call me an Unreformed Stalinist. I definitely don't have time for it now.

But here's the thing Odin, you're being New Left, perhaps unintentionally. I suggest you examine what you believe in the light of the commonly accepted reality.

Of course I've also suggested reading sources of news beyond your own propaganda. If for nothing else to know what the other side is thinking. Who knows, you might even leave the left too. There really is no place for people who actually want to end racism, sexism, and homophobia over there. Identity politics requires those things to exist, and where they don't exist, it will create them.

Are there 14/88ers over here? Yeah, but they are small, nearly universally hated, and irrelevant.

As for the Trans...they really do have a mental disorder and need help not pronouns, surgery or coddling. I'm thinking a psychologist at the very least.

(03-13-2017, 08:22 AM)SomeGuy Wrote:
Quote:And I don't have time for the "my preferred made up pronouns are" Tumblr insanity, I just hate people being bigoted assholes.

Then you're obviously a bigoted asshole.  Ze lives matter!  Angry

Yes, he really needs to learn how to not be bigoted and to hate everyone equally like I do. Big Grin

(03-13-2017, 07:34 AM)Odin Wrote:

The only person on here I would genuinely believe has some sort of pervasive developmental disorder is PBrower, who somehow manages to be monotone and avoid making eye contact even in a written exchange conducted over the Internet.  The rest of us are just geeks.  Or cranks, lot of those around here, too.

I had a full screening when I was 15 and am officially diagnosed. It's not nearly as obvious, anymore, in my outward behavior compared to when I was younger, but I still have plenty of stereotypically autistic sensory issues.

Oh, and a common behavior in young autistic kids is them walking on their toes, one of my nicknames when I was a little kid was "tippy-toes". Big Grin

The only reason I didn't have a full screening is because when that VA doctor suggested it I was already an adult and told him to go fuck himself.  Of course I've not been back to the VA.  I experienced socialized medicine...I ran back to the private sector.

I don't know about the toe walking but when I was much younger I was easily annoyed by tags on clothing and florescent lighting.  I've sense gotten over it.  I'm not sure if that has anything to do with autism or something to do with being a child.  Children tend to be more sensitive to stimuli than adults because they are more affected by small changes in environment (and I would imagine that some have more acute senses than others).  I was also incredibly socially awkward, still am.

Apparently instead of avoiding eye contact, I maintain eye contact so long as to make people uncomfortable.  It doesn't help that my default facial expression essentially looks like I'm pissed off.

Social awkwardness diminishes over time for most people.  I don't know how it works for most people, I've not discussed it with them.  But for me, what happened is I stopped giving a fuck what other people thought, unless I was fucking them, lived with them or worked with them.

However, the point I was making, is that the definitions for Asperger's were so broad as to include everyone on the planet.  I'm sorry (okay not really) but a disorder that everyone has, isn't a disorder.  By its shear commonness it is normal and its  absence abnormal.

So you may or may not be on the spectrum.  I'd suggest considering you're what 30-ish now you have a re-screening. 

As for PBR...yeah, I'm pretty sure he's depressed.  He may also have a co-morbid anxiety condition.

Not-Doctor Kinser prescribes 2 joints in the morning and 2 joints at night. Afro

(03-13-2017, 07:34 AM)Odin Wrote:

The depression comes from bad results from bad choices that I would have never made had it not been for undiagnosed Asperger's. I got a diagnosis of Asperger's only at age 60, when I could do little about it. I have the sensory issues and physical manifestations. I got some help, and I did learn to make better eye contact and abandon some rigidity of thought. I wish I had gotten some help much earlier instead of heeding parental advice to stay clear of the mental health system because having to use the system is disgraceful. Psychiatry and psychology are "Jewish sciences" in some cultures. My parents were antisemitic.

I could hide some autistic tendencies with behavior, but I could never hide that I was hiding something. In this culture, anyone hiding something is assumed to be hiding something malign. If someone had a problem with hiding an African ancestor I would give the advice, "Go ahead and admit that you are black! What would that change?" I have told people who leaked indications that they were gay contrary to their Christian beliefs that homosexuality is evil, "Get out of the damnable closet! Admit it -- God made you gay, and maybe He wants you to testify that one can be a homosexual and a devout Christian".

For something more problematic, like chemical dependency -- one needs to admit that one has a problem and go for rehab. After rehab, choose to associate with clean-and-sober people who can find enriching and fulfilling lives to imitate and to avoid places and activities that one associates with drinking. Criminal behavior? See an attorney for advice, which could include "turn yourself in", Mr. Raskolnikov. (Does anyone think that Crime and Punishment is a novel well worth exposing to most youth?)

It is impossible to get off the spectrum. Maybe some electromagnetic radiation can be transformed from gamma rays to visible light or radiant heat through a series of collisions, but that radiation remains on the spectrum. Of course visible light is far safer than gamma rays...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trump's real German analog Donald Trump takes office on Friday, and the world hol pbrower2a 2 2,904 02-09-2017, 05:52 PM
Last Post: freivolk