Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Donald Trump and Dictatorial Taste
One of the marks of good taste is restraint. Excess is always in bad taste. If you can't  stand vulgar excess, then I suggest that you leave this thread.

This Trump Tower would make me sick:

[Image: XmasTrump.jpg]

This glitz goes beyond Neiman-Marcus in Dallas, which, when I lived in the Dallas area, exemplified the values of the nouveau-riche.

This is a Trump Tower. Some people might be impressed. Not I. Really-bad taste transcends national boundaries.  

[Image: ?url=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic.politico.com%2F...u-grid.jpg]

This reeks of "Arab oil sheikh" with unlimited funds and little connection to reality. The people for whom this tackiness was built was the Ceausescu family. Except for the foliage more characteristic of Kalamazoo than of Kuwait it could be used as a movie set for some Middle Eastern potentate whose family gets half his nation's GDP. Of course, for someone who really was middle-Eastern and is likely now residing with Nicolae and Elena Ceausescu in a not-so-splendid setting:

[Image: saddam-grid.jpg]

Saddam Hussein, of course. That's an American soldier desecrating his swimming pool by simply swimming in it. Sultans at Constantinople may have never had it so plush. Dreadful taste in interior design, wouldn't you think? OK, that was the least of his offenses, as we must not forget him gassing the Kurds.

For a true nouveau-riche kleptocrat , just take a look at what Viktor Yanukovich had to offer:

[Image: ?url=http%3A%2F%2Fstatic.politico.com%2F...u-grid.jpg]

He spent money, but he wasted it badly. I can;t say what my tastes are...

http://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/12/donal...-reviewed/
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Guess who?

[Image: Donald-Melania-Trump-Manhattan-Penthouse_3.jpg]

Maybe not as bad as the taste of Satan Hussein, but certainly God-awful.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

So what you're saying is you have no evidence for when I asked how Trump was a dictator in the other thread (when he has the same situation Obama did in 09-11), so you attack his taste?

I'm sorry being tacky does not a dictator make. Otherwise every big label rapper would lord over a tiny African country.

Trump's taste is that of the nouveau riche.
It really is all mathematics.

Turn on to Daddy, Tune in to Nationalism, Drop out of UN/NATO/WTO/TPP/NAFTA/CAFTA Globalism.
Garish would be the word. Yes, dictators like Saddam Hussein, Hitler and Drump have bad taste.

Of course, international criminals like Daddy Drump have much in common, taste-wise.

"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man. Tacky tacky tacky.
#MakeTheDemocratsGreatAgain
Kinser, did you notice that I put this in a "culture" forum? Not politics. Interior design is culture, and not politics. It may say much about a person.

(03-13-2017, 07:30 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: Kinser, did you notice that I put this in a "culture" forum? Not politics. Interior design is culture, and not politics. It may say much about a person.

I did notice.  Calling someone a dictator is politics and not culture though.

I don't know what Trump's nouveau riche tastes say about him.  Well other than "Hey I'm nouveau riche".  I mean seriously have you ever watched MTV cribs or whatever and seen some of these pop singers and rappers houses?  They've got the same exact tastes.  In fact I've seen levels of tacky among the black nouveau riche that makes Trump seem tame.

I would imagine that considering that Saddam basically grew up in a mud hut, he would have been nouveau riche having the entire wealth of Iraq behind him too.  Same with Gaddaffi and Libya and on and on.  Usually your dictator types come from desperate backgrounds.

So then since the tastes of the nouveau riche only inform us that they are in fact nouveau riche, what does this thread inform us about its creator?  I think it tells us that he's jealous that nouveau riche people even have the money to have nice palacial places to stay at--even if he himself thinks they are incredibly tacky.  (and yes even I will say Trump's tastes are tacky, but its his money so not my business really)

He really can't do too much to the White House though.  Seriously its like renting a furnished appartment.  At most he can have the drapes changed and have some tacky throw rugs made up.  So what he does with his personal property remains his business.

Turn on to Daddy, Tune in to Nationalism, Drop out of UN/NATO/WTO/TPP/NAFTA/CAFTA Globalism.
(03-13-2017, 07:13 AM)Odin Wrote: Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man. Tacky tacky tacky.

It is the dream of every poor American (white, black or latino) to grow up one day and become rich land live in a tacky penthouse/mansion some where.

Note well that Trump himself is New Money.  Which is why Old Money hates him so much.

(03-13-2017, 09:36 AM)Kinser79 Wrote:
(03-13-2017, 07:13 AM)Odin Wrote: Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man. Tacky tacky tacky.

It is the dream of every poor American (white, black or latino) to grow up one day and become rich land live in a tacky penthouse/mansion some where.

Note well that Trump himself is New Money.  Which is why Old Money hates him so much.

The Rockefeller family has far better taste -- even John Davison Rockefeller II when he was newly rich showed some restraint. Donald Trump's taste suggests a Mafia don.

No, if I had gotten filthy rich in my lifetime from a middle-class start I wouldn't throw money away into a dream house as is the commonplace way of pro athletes and winners of the Super Duper Megabucks Lottery. I would have better ways of using money than garish, showy excess.

Maybe you forget how I excoriated McMansions as housing for people with more money than wisdom.

(03-14-2017, 12:38 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote:
(03-12-2017, 07:29 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: Guess who?

[Image: Donald-Melania-Trump-Manhattan-Penthouse_3.jpg]

Maybe not as bad as the taste of Satan Hussein, but certainly God-awful.

I've been around the block a couple or three times.

The above photo is exactly like what certain high status people in Southeast Asia have in their homes. These are not old money people. They are people who made it after WW2.

The sad thing is much of the stuff you see in a place like that is really cheaply made. Places like that do not age well at all.

The article showed the excesses of Ferdinand and Imelda Marcos. I didn't show that image.

...the only book present is a giant tribute to the late boxer Muhammad Ali. Say what you want about the late boxer, but he is not my idea of someone from whom to learn much.

I'd rather have books in leather bindings, a large collection of classical recordings, a giant movie display (for old movies, largely, as cinema is the definitive art form of the 20th century), and some art by second-tier painters -- maybe some that I 'discovered'.

You know what else is tacky?  Envy.  Wink
(03-14-2017, 12:17 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: The Rockefeller family has far better taste -- even John Davison Rockefeller II when he was newly rich showed some restraint. Donald Trump's taste suggests a Mafia don.

John D. Rockefeller II was also from a religious tradition which Donald Trump does not share. I think his religious convictions may have caused his restraints.

Quote:No, if I had gotten filthy rich in my lifetime from a middle-class start I wouldn't throw money away into a dream house as is the commonplace way of pro athletes and winners of the Super Duper Megabucks Lottery. I would have better ways of using money than garish, showy excess.

Generally speaking Pro-athletes, and winners of the Super Duper Megabucks are not middle-class. They typically come from the Proletariat and being unsued to having any money manage what money they do get poorly.

Being from the Black petty-bourgeoisie had I come into money I'd just fix up the house I have and pay it off. I might also start my own business and get my kid set up with his trade. Working as a self-employed tile setter is riskier than working for a company, but the rewards are much better.

Quote:Maybe you forget how I excoriated McMansions as housing for people with more money than wisdom.

No I haven't. I don't care for them either. I also don't care for the Drive Till You Qualify culture we've set up since WW2 either.

However, this has nothing to do with Donald Trumps taste or lack thereof.

Quote:Get a clue. Many of us across board economic strata think the images shown here are in terrible taste. 

So?

Quote:It has nothing to do with envy and everything to do with embarrassment. I am embarrassed to have someone like Trump, who is so lacking in class, defaming the office of PotUS. Our friends in other countries feel sorry for us.

Eh, in your case it probably has a lot more to do with your fixations of the Russians than it does your dislike of his sense of taste.
How about a contrast. British prime ministers must settle for this:

http://www.interiordesignshub.com/interi...ng-street/

If it was good enough for the man who kept Britain from annexation into Hell in 1940 and 1941...

Good God, who paints their walls yellow!?!  Sick

As for the man you're referring to, he was born in Blenheim Palace, which as a baroque structure is not exactly an epitome of restraint and minimalist sensibilities, even for the time it was built.  Chartwell, where he lived as an adult, has its own questionable decorating choices.  I mean, floral drapes?

I am uncertain of the value of this sort of criticism.

I'm white trash and I have far more taste than Donnie Moscow has ever had in his life.
(03-14-2017, 02:08 PM)Kinser79 Wrote: John D. Rockefeller II was also from a religious tradition which Donald Trump does not share.

And given that I come from a Scandinavian Lutheran tradition that is in many ways analogous to New England Puritanism, that is probably why I find Trump's lack of taste and lack of propriety so disgusting.
(03-14-2017, 04:17 PM)Odin Wrote:

I'm white trash and I have far more taste than Donnie Moscow has ever had in his life.

If you have more than 10 original teeth and/or don't live in a trailer park you ain't white trash son.  

I know me some white trash.  I know me some poor white trash, and I even know sorry white trash as well.

Yes, there are three categories of white trash, and they all of 'em can't stand that this <N> is their superior in every way. Afropik

(03-14-2017, 04:24 PM)Odin Wrote:
(03-14-2017, 02:08 PM)Kinser79 Wrote: John D. Rockefeller II was also from a religious tradition which Donald Trump does not share.

And given that I come from a Scandinavian Lutheran tradition that is in many ways analogous to New England Puritanism, that is probably why I find Trump's lack of taste and lack of propriety so disgusting.

Personally I find his tastes extreme.  But it isn't my house or my money. Let the man do what he wants to do. 

You'd probably think my customized 1978 Lincoln Continental is tacky too. What with the chrome and the plush carpets.  Had it painted purple too. I sold my Eldorado though...I'm down sizing.  There's a recession on so I can only afford one car.

House is one of those ticky tacky numbers in the inner burbs though.  Thing about guys like me, either our house is nice or our car is.  I picked car.

(03-14-2017, 07:08 PM)Kinser79 Wrote:

If you have more than 10 original teeth and/or don't live in a trailer park you ain't white trash son.  

I know me some white trash.  I know me some poor white trash, and I even know sorry white trash as well.

Yes, there are three categories of white trash, and they all of 'em can't stand that this <N> is their superior in every way. Afropik

Personally I find his tastes extreme.  But it isn't my house or my money. Let the man do what he wants to do. 

You'd probably think my customized 1978 Lincoln Continental is tacky too. What with the chrome and the plush carpets.  Had it painted purple too. I sold my Eldorado though...I'm down sizing.  There's a recession on so I can only afford one car.

House is one of those ticky tacky numbers in the inner burbs though.  Thing about guys like me, either our house is nice or our car is.  I picked car.

1.  I know white trash.  I work with some.  They're young and have had only something like 4 teeth go bad. They live with the 'rents, not trailers.
2. If I hit the lotto or something, I'd just pick a house in Leadville, CO.  I'd take Truckee CA. as well  as a consolation prize.  High altitude and lots of snow make for a long life.
3. Here, your Pimpmobile needs help.  Here's Rags to assist.

[Image: il_570xN.1153744877_24zf.jpg]

[Image: il_570xN.767829580_74it.jpg]

[Image: il_570xN.1103595412_aqj5.jpg]
---Value Added Cool
(03-14-2017, 07:48 PM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote:
(03-14-2017, 07:08 PM)Kinser79 Wrote:

1.  I know white trash.  I work with some.  They're young and have had only something like 4 teeth go bad. They live with the 'rents, not trailers.
2. If I hit the lotto or something, I'd just pick a house in Leadville, CO.  I'd take Truckee CA. as well  as a consolation prize.  High altitude and lots of snow make for a long life.
3. Here, your Pimpmobile needs help.  Here's Rags to assist.

1.  Are you sure they are white trash and not just trashy whites.  There is a difference, not a huge difference but it is still there.

2.  If I hit the lotto I'd be amazed since I don't play the lotto.  I've actually called it before "a tax on people who can't do math".  But now if I won big at the poker table or black jack table I'd probably do exactly what I said I was going to do.

3.  Nah I like classic cars.  Ones from the 70s are sexy for some reason...that long hood reminds me of ah well never mind. Cool   Also pimpmobiles have to be American made.  Its like a law or something.  I'll have too consult my Pimp Handbook.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why Donald Trump Got Elected JasonBlack 22 4,951 03-18-2022, 08:07 PM
Last Post: JasonBlack
  Internet Trolls and Donald Trump gabrielle 25 23,064 10-29-2018, 01:06 PM
Last Post: David Horn
  Academic freedom and Donald Trump pbrower2a 21 14,500 02-21-2017, 09:39 AM
Last Post: pbrower2a