Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fictional characters and archetypes
Name the generation or archetype of each of the following fictional characters from TV, film, and literature:

Jessica Jones (Jessica Jones)
Daria Morgandorffer (Daria)
Nucky Thompson (Boardwalk Empire)
Jay Gatsby (The Great Gatsby)
Tony "Iron Man" Stark (MCU)
Sally Draper (Mad Men)
Tony Soprano (The Sopranos)
Scarlett O' Hara (Gone With the Wind)
Wolverine (X-Men)
Kevin Arnold (The Wonder Years)
(03-12-2017, 10:49 PM)GeekyCynic Wrote: Name the generation or archetype of each of the following fictional characters from TV, film, and literature:

I'll bite.

Jessica Jones (Jessica Jones) Don't know who that is, never watched that show/read that book.

Daria Morgandorffer (Daria) X. Specifically late wave X. (Quinn is likely an Early Millie) archetype Nomad

Nucky Thompson (Boardwalk Empire) Lost archetype Nomad

Jay Gatsby (The Great Gatsby) Lost archetype Nomad

Tony "Iron Man" Stark (MCU) No frame of reference.

Sally Draper (Mad Men) Boomer archetype Idealist

Tony Soprano (The Sopranos) Late Silent or Early Boomer. archetype most likely Idealist

Scarlett O' Hara (Gone With the Wind) Guilded, most likely Bloody Shirt Archetype Civic

Wolverine (X-Men) No frame of reference. (I didn't read comic books as a kid and I'm unlikely to take them up now as a middle aged man)

Kevin Arnold (The Wonder Years) Disco Boomer archetype Idealist
It really is all mathematics.

Turn on to Daddy, Tune in to Nationalism, Drop out of UN/NATO/WTO/TPP/NAFTA/CAFTA Globalism.
Tony Stark is a Boomer (admittedly with an Xer playing him on film now), and Wolverine is Lost.
Nucky Thompson would be Missionary Generation, likely, as he is a middle aged Prohibition-era Atlantic City political boss.  The younger men in the show are Lost Generation--Jimmy Darmody, Al Capone, Lucky Luciano.  I watched a few episodes of that show a while back.

Jessica Jones is a Millennial, I guess.  I've watched the first season of the TV show, which seems to take place in the present.  But according to wiki, the character was first introduced in 2001, and she is supposed to have gone to high school with Peter Parker (Spider Man).  I'm not an authority on comic book superheroes.
(03-13-2017, 09:21 PM)gabrielle Wrote: Nucky Thompson would be Missionary Generation, likely, as he is a middle aged Prohibition-era Atlantic City political boss.  The younger men in the show are Lost Generation--Jimmy Darmody, Al Capone, Lucky Luciano.  I watched a few episodes of that show a while back.

The character he is based on, Enoch "Nucky" Johnson, was born in 1883, putting him in the very first Lost cohort.  The character, in the show, was born a bit earlier, in 1870, making him a Missionary.
Considering we have to take the year of birth of the franchise into account, the Sonic the Hedgehog characters might be all GenX characters. Especially the late third of them.

Sonic = 15 = 1991 - 15 = 1976 = GenX

Tails = 8 = 1992 - 8 = 1984 = Millie

Knuckles = 16 = 1993 - 16 = 1977 = GenX

Amy = 12 = 1993 - 12 = 1981 = GenX
(03-14-2017, 10:45 AM)Lemanic Wrote: Considering we have to take the year of birth of the franchise into account, the Sonic the Hedgehog characters might be all GenX characters. Especially the late third of them.

Sonic = 15 = 1991 - 15 = 1976 = GenX

Tails = 8 = 1992 - 8 = 1984 = Millie

Knuckles = 16 = 1993 - 16 = 1977 = GenX

Amy = 12 = 1993 - 12 = 1981 = GenX

Tails was obviously a Millie.
Wolverine in Comic: Lost
Wolverine in Movies: Gilded
in both cases Nomad

For the Star Wars characters:
Palpatine Prophet
Tarkin Nomad
Obi-Wan Hero