Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Generational Theory may not be right in the age of the Internet
Millennials are a supposed Civic generation who is supposed to support the narrowing of the gender roles. If Generational theory is right, why are a lot of Millennials actively fighting against it and fighting against their own generation's ideals? Wouldn't generational theory say everything has to accept the same consensus? This group is unfortunately hated by many Millennials but they fight far harder than any supposed civic generation did for their own rights.

Many Millennials studied history and I've heard a lot of them say 'Not This Time' and are actively fighting against repeating history. Many of them are militantly fighting not to repeat different aspects of history. I think we will end up with two different groups.
This crisis is more similar to the Civil War then to WWII. The civic generation don´t rally around one flag, they form two hostile camps.
(03-26-2017, 03:54 PM)freivolk Wrote: This crisis is more similar to the Civil War then to WWII. The civic generation don´t rally around one flag, they form two hostile camps.

Big difference from the Civil War: at the start of the Civil War, the generation being raised as a Civic generation (the Progressive generation) had not yet reached adulthood. The oldest of the Progressive Generation were 18 at the start of the Civil War, and they were in no position in which to become leaders of the Crisis Era. Maybe some of the oldest, like future US President William McKinley (1843-1901) would take on Civic roles, but the Civic role ended up largely in the hands of the Gilded generation that grew up Reactive.

Today's Millennial generation has been brought up as a Civic generation, and it is old enough that it will likely take the stereotypical role of a Civic generation even if the Crisis is a catastrophe for America -- and perhaps especially if there is a catastrophe, as it would be the adult generation least held in blame in the wake of national disgrace. (See the German and Japanese contemporaries of America's GI Generation -- they were the biggest achievers of any generation in their national histories, and their countries had endured catastrophic defeats).

The American Civil War struck near the 3T-4T border when existing adult generations were at their worst -- the Compromise generation still active, but insisting upon process  already irrelevant, the transcendental generation having polarized into opposing camps that sought the utter defeat of each other, and the Gilded seeing war more as opportunity and adventure than as the destruction and danger that war is.  For an analogue elsewhere, just look at the Russian Civil War when the Idealist generation was divided neatly between Reds and Whites who would prove to seek the extermination of each other due to the ruthlessness and brutality of both sides -- and to Spain in the 1930s. The revolutionaries would prevail in Russia and the reactionaries would prevail in Spain.  No matter which side won, most people would still lose.

It's the Boomers who are in hostile camps today. Millennial adults will choose which Boomer faction sets the agenda for the Crisis through the politics of the Civic generation which has yet to show itself.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(03-26-2017, 03:54 PM)freivolk Wrote: This crisis is more similar to the Civil War then to WWII. The civic generation don´t rally around one flag, they form two hostile camps.

(03-26-2017, 05:41 PM)pbrower2a Wrote:

Big difference from the Civil War: at the start of the Civil War, the generation being raised as a Civic generation (the Progressive generation) had not yet reached adulthood. The oldest of the Progressive Generation were 18 at the start of the Civil War, and they were in no position in which to become leaders of the Crisis Era. Maybe some of the oldest, like future US President William McKinley (1843-1901) would take on Civic roles, but the Civic role ended up largely in the hands of the Gilded generation that grew up Reactive.

Today's Millennial generation has been brought up as a Civic generation, and it is old enough that it will likely take the stereotypical role of a Civic generation even if the Crisis is a catastrophe for America -- and perhaps especially if there is a catastrophe, as it would be the adult generation least held in blame in the wake of national disgrace. (See the German and Japanese contemporaries of America's GI Generation -- they were the biggest achievers of any generation in their national histories, and their countries had endured catastrophic defeats).

The American Civil War struck near the 3T-4T border when existing adult generations were at their worst -- the Compromise generation still active, but insisting upon process  already irrelevant, the transcendental generation having polarized into opposing camps that sought the utter defeat of each other, and the Gilded seeing war more as opportunity and adventure than as the destruction and danger that war is.  For an analogue elsewhere, just look at the Russian Civil War when the Idealist generation was divided neatly between Reds and Whites who would prove to seek the extermination of each other due to the ruthlessness and brutality of both sides -- and to Spain in the 1930s. The revolutionaries would prevail in Russia and the reactionaries would prevail in Spain.  No matter which side won, most people would still lose.

It's the Boomers who are in hostile camps today. Millennial adults will choose which Boomer faction sets the agenda for the Crisis through the politics of the Civic generation which has yet to show itself.

The Millennials are hostile camps actually and often form into extreme beliefs that oppose each other. Look at the internet and the arguments there. The Boomers argue a lot but the political and values divide between different camps of Millennials is far more than the divide between the different camps of Boomers.

Historian Shelby Foote described the Gilded generation as civic-minded, having morals and civic duties instilled into them. So I look at those generations a bit differently. Rather than the Progressive, the Gillded may be the hybrid generation, more civic in youth and during the war, but more nomad afterward in the Gilded Age.

Others set different dates from S&H, and often redate the generations so that there's a civic generation born in about the 1830s and a nomad generation in the 1810s. S&H made the prophet generation 30 years long, at a time in history when the saeculum was speeding up and generations were becoming shorter in length from that common in the medieval-renaissance civilization, which ran on the old agricultural age timeclock like during Roman times. The revolution and civil war saecula were times of transition from ancient to modern, and from agricultural/feudal to industrial/bourgeois.

The civil war anomaly, which is probably due to the saeculum speed-up, is very questionable. Whether the generation dates should be changed, or whether they should be looked on as hybrids, it is clear to me that the 1850s were 4T already, and very similar in nature to our half-assed 4T today. The last compromise was in 1850, which is one date cited an an alternative starting date for the civil war 4T. In fact, the civil war almost started that year, and a parallel event happened at the same time in Europe.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(03-26-2017, 11:31 AM)disasterzone Wrote: Millennials are a supposed Civic generation who is supposed to support the narrowing of the gender roles.

I thought that was reversed; boomers and other prophets have narrowed gender roles. Today they are widening again, or at least not narrowing any further. Or am I incorrect?

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(03-26-2017, 06:35 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(03-26-2017, 11:31 AM)disasterzone Wrote: Millennials are a supposed Civic generation who is supposed to support the narrowing of the gender roles.

I thought that was reversed; boomers and other prophets have narrowed gender roles. Today they are widening again, or at least not narrowing any further. Or am I incorrect?

I meant the widening of the gender roles sorry. There are many Millennials who rebel against the gender roles and identify as nonbinary. Many are very loud in rebelling against the gender roles and are even against tone policing. The only difference is many other Millennials hate them. This shows generational theory is flawed. Were there Civics back in your time that actively rebelled against their roles as much?
(03-26-2017, 06:32 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:

Historian Shelby Foote described the Gilded generation as civic-minded, having morals and civic duties instilled into them. So I look at those generations a bit differently. Rather than the Progressive, the Gillded may be the hybrid generation, more civic in youth and during the war, but more nomad afterward in the Gilded Age.

Others set different dates from S&H, and often redate the generations so that there's a civic generation born in about the 1830s and a nomad generation in the 1810s. S&H made the prophet generation 30 years long, at a time in history when the saeculum was speeding up and generations were becoming shorter in length from that common in the medieval-renaissance civilization, which ran on the old agricultural age timeclock like during Roman times. The revolution and civil war saecula were times of transition from ancient to modern, and from agricultural/feudal to industrial/bourgeois.

The civil war anomaly, which is probably due to the saeculum speed-up, is very questionable. Whether the generation dates should be changed, or whether they should be looked on as hybrids, it is clear to me that the 1850s were 4T already, and very similar in nature to our half-assed 4T today. The last compromise was in 1850, which is one date cited an an alternative starting date for the civil war 4T. In fact, the civil war almost started that year, and a parallel event happened at the same time in Europe.

The Gilded were a wild bunch before the Civil War. Some remained so, making the Wild West as wild as its reputation. Whether they became a genuine Civic generation in the South is much in question.

Adults born in the 1810s were largely shut out of upper leadership in America, having been cast off quickly after the Civil War. But they grew up as Idealists, and being cast aside around age 50 when the average life expectancy was around 50 likely changed them little.

The Gilded became (in part) a Civic generation, with characteristics of secularism, conformity, social cohesion, a love for doing things on a big scale, cultural blandness, and an indulgent style of child-raising. They were much less daring than GIs and less likely to enrich themselves collectively. The Progressive generation filled the vacuum of that the Compromise generation left behind, and the Gilded had the credibility as war heroes that no other generation had at the time -- and they would never let people forget that.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(03-26-2017, 06:44 PM)disasterzone Wrote:
(03-26-2017, 06:35 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:

I meant the widening of the gender roles sorry. There are many Millennials who rebel against the gender roles and identify as nonbinary. Many are very loud in rebelling against the gender roles and are even against tone policing. The only difference is many other Millennials hate them. This shows generational theory is flawed. Were there Civics back in your time that actively rebelled against their roles as much?

No there weren't.

But it seems like the social conservative movements have succeeded in narrowing gender roles for your generation, but in certain blue-state areas, that success has been less, and millennials have inherited instead the narrower roles from the sixties movements. My suspicion is that the divide is more along political than generational lines, but the changing tides of rebellion and reaction have left their mark on our divided country.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

People who identify as "nonbinary" are retards. There is no such thing. You're either male or female. If you were born as a male, you are and will always be a male. Males have penises. If you were born as a female, you are and will always be a female. Females have vaginas. People who think they are of their opposite sex or some other 76 "gender" are not right in the head. It's all bs that never existed up until recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iq59Dmaii4

I don´t think its really rebelling, it more of people taking side in an idelogical struggle. Gender is also a battlefield in the ongoing culture war and its going from one extreme "gender is just a social construct" to the other "gender equalty is a scam".
The problem is that the boomers are trying to force millies into normalizing around burkean/wilsonian/globalism when Millies generally despise globalism. Milles don't admire Burke or Pitt, we admire Napoleon and czar Alexander, Millies don't admire poincare or clemenceau we admire kaiser Wilhelm, Lenin and Ludendorff. Millies don't admire Winston Churchill, they admire Stalin, Hitler, Tojo, Chiang and Mao. They don't admire monty, we admire Patton, Le May on the American side and Rommel on the German side and zhukov and konev on the Soviet side; Tojo, Terauchi and Hata on the Japanese side. Boomers will not succeed in ramming their money grubbing decadence down our throats.
(03-27-2017, 02:18 PM)Cynic Hero 86 Wrote: The problem is that the boomers are trying to force millies into normalizing around burkean/wilsonian/globalism when Millies generally despise globalism. Milles don't admire Burke or Pitt, we admire Napoleon and czar Alexander, Millies don't admire poincare or clemenceau we admire kaiser Wilhelm, Lenin and Ludendorff. Millies don't admire Winston Churchill, they admire Stalin, Hitler, Tojo, Chiang and Mao. They don't admire monty, we admire Patton, Le May and Rommel on the German side and zhukov and konev on the Soviet side; Tojo, Terauchi and Hata on the Japanese side. Boomers will not succeed in ramming their money grubbing decadence down our throats.

Speak for yourself. I don't admire any of those people and I don't want you shoving your totalitarian values down my throat. Just because I'm a Millennial doesn't mean I have to accept what I hate. I have a right to be whoever I want to be whenever I want to be. You don't have a right to shove your narrow roles down my throat

There's a very loud and vocal minority against that mentality in the Millennial generation. However they're hated and called "SJWs". How do you explain that?
(03-27-2017, 01:08 PM)FLBones Wrote:

People who identify as "nonbinary" are retards. There is no such thing. You're either male or female. If you were born as a male, you are and will always be a male. Males have penises. If you were born as a female, you are and will always be a female. Females have vaginas. People who think they are of their opposite sex or some other 76 "gender" are not right in the head. It's all bs that never existed up until recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iq59Dmaii4

Nonbinary isn't imaginary. Some people have brain structures that are intermediate between the sexes. Sex and gender aren't the same thing. This is why it's possible to be a nonbinary man or a nonbinary woman.
(03-27-2017, 02:18 PM)Cynic Hero 86 Wrote: The problem is that the boomers are trying to force millies into normalizing around burkean/wilsonian/globalism when Millies generally despise globalism. Milles don't admire Burke or Pitt, we admire Napoleon and czar Alexander, Millies don't admire poincare or clemenceau we admire kaiser Wilhelm, Lenin and Ludendorff. Millies don't admire Winston Churchill, they admire Stalin, Hitler, Tojo, Chiang and Mao. They don't admire monty, we admire Patton, Le May and Rommel on the German side and zhukov and konev on the Soviet side; Tojo, Terauchi and Hata on the Japanese side. Boomers will not succeed in ramming their money grubbing decadence down our throats.

There are many Millennials trying to stop the authoritarianism a lot of our generation wants to ram down our throats.

How do you explain this?

https://twitter.com/skyfishgoo/status/84...9041517569

https://twitter.com/XenaofAmerica/status...8645588992
https://twitter.com/duffyscreek/status/8...8037641222

https://twitter.com/ffffrancooooo/status...3954700288

https://twitter.com/bowskeyes/status/820905187086712834

https://twitter.com/LittlestJustin/statu...8094818304
(03-27-2017, 03:29 PM)disasterzone Wrote:
(03-27-2017, 02:18 PM)Cynic Hero Wrote: The problem is that the boomers are trying to force millies into normalizing around burkean/wilsonian/globalism when Millies  generally despise globalism. Milles don't admire  Burke or Pitt, we admire Napoleon and czar Alexander, Millies don't admire poincare  or clemenceau we admire kaiser Wilhelm, Lenin and Ludendorff. Millies don't admire Winston Churchill, they admire Stalin, Hitler, Tojo, Chiang and Mao. They don't admire monty, we admire Patton, Le May and Rommel on the German side and zhukov and konev on the Soviet side; Tojo, Terauchi and Hata on the Japanese side. Boomers will not succeed in ramming their money grubbing decadence down our throats.

There are many Millennials trying to stop the authoritarianism a lot of our generation wants to ram down our throats.

How do you explain this?

They are being used as pawns by the status quo elites: notice that in the current protests unlike during the 60s and 70s or even during the anti-globalization movement of the 90s/early 2000s, there is no true "protest culture" that is because the protests are not being driven by centrifugal forces but are being generated by political astroturf. The reorganization movement I allude to seeks to free xers and millies from boomer tyranny and bring them under and to lead a movement of true freedom. When Genghis Khans mongols sallied out from the steppes, they practiced true freedom. When the NKVD and SS death squads rampaged through country after country before during and after WW2, they practiced true freedom When the armies of Mao, Chiang and the Japanese ranged through China for decades, they practiced true freedom. When Le Mays Bombers ranged destruction through the cities of Japan they practiced true freedom. When the armies of Milosevic, Mladic and Tudjman rampaged against one another, they practiced true freedom. Millies want their rights back, and despise the boomber that insists on standing between them and our rights.
(03-27-2017, 04:20 PM)Cynic Hero 86 Wrote:
(03-27-2017, 03:29 PM)disasterzone Wrote:
(03-27-2017, 02:18 PM)Cynic Hero Wrote: The problem is that the boomers are trying to force millies into normalizing around burkean/wilsonian/globalism when Millies  generally despise globalism. Milles don't admire  Burke or Pitt, we admire Napoleon and czar Alexander, Millies don't admire poincare  or clemenceau we admire kaiser Wilhelm, Lenin and Ludendorff. Millies don't admire Winston Churchill, they admire Stalin, Hitler, Tojo, Chiang and Mao. They don't admire monty, we admire Patton, Le May and Rommel on the German side and zhukov and konev on the Soviet side; Tojo, Terauchi and Hata on the Japanese side. Boomers will not succeed in ramming their money grubbing decadence down our throats.

How do you explain this?

They are being used as pawns by the status quo elites: notice that in the current protests unlike during the 60s and 70s or even during the anti-globalization movement of the 90s/early 2000s, there is no true "protest culture" that is because the protests are not being driven by centrifugal forces but are being generated by political astroturf. The reorganization movement I allude to seeks to free xers and millies from boomer tyranny and bring them under and to lead a movement of true freedom. When Genghis Khans mongols sallied out from the steppes, they practiced true freedom. When the NKVD and SS death squads rampaged through country after country before during and after WW2, they practiced true freedom When the armies of Mao, Chiang and the Japanese ranged through China for decades, they practiced true freedom. When Le Mays Bombers ranged destruction through the cities of Japan they practiced true freedom. When the armies of Milosevic, Mladic and Tudjman rampaged against one another, they practiced true freedom. Millies want their rights back, and despise the boomber that insists on standing between them and our rights.

There are internet protest cultures that are organically formed. These cultures form on Tumblr and Twitter. Millennial cultures whether left or right are formed through internet means and social media. Some Millennials see history starting to repeat itself and are fighting hard so they don't have to go through the mass conformity. However for some reason the rest of the Millennials hate them. There is no one culture because many people see their own issues and fight for them. Many activists are activists for singular issues. They are tired of being told their issues don't matter by the rest of the generation and the other generations.
That's what's wrong. Instead of unifying the country, we keep splintering.
(03-26-2017, 06:32 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:
<snip>

OK, then what would the "missing" nomad generation be and called?
---Value Added Cool
(03-27-2017, 05:02 PM)FLBones Wrote: That's what's wrong. Instead of unifying the country, we keep splintering.

I don't want to unify with people who have no empathy and want to be as offensive as possible. I don't want to unify with the bullies of the world. Either they get empathy and respect for rights even for people who are different, or I'm not talking. With people advocating things like involuntary euthanasia or people forcibly put into place I'm refusing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Buy Passport,Driver License,Age & ID Card,(Whatsapp:.......: +1 (551) 239-2904) Visas huunnjh655 0 78 03-01-2024, 07:22 AM
Last Post: huunnjh655
  Buy Passport,Driver License,Age & ID Card,(Whatsapp:.......: +1 (551) 239-2904) Visas jog555 0 140 02-04-2024, 06:53 AM
Last Post: jog555
  Strauss-Howe generational theory on Wikipedia sbarrera 4 1,944 05-19-2023, 12:00 AM
Last Post: Tim Randal Walker
  S&H theory and Steve Bannon GeekyCynic 9 6,469 04-22-2023, 12:49 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Generational Theory - Other Sites and Resources sbarrera 35 8,743 05-18-2022, 10:00 AM
Last Post: sbarrera
  Generational Talk YouTube Channel sbarrera 3 3,938 12-07-2021, 05:24 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green
  Theory In India kal_in_india 2 3,713 05-14-2017, 09:14 PM
Last Post: Warren Dew