Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Malaise Speech for the Current Time
(07-12-2019, 08:00 PM)Hintergrund Wrote: Carter wasn't wrong about the fact that the time was shitty. His problem: He had no clue how to solve it.

Actually, he had a pretty good handle on what needed doing, but he had no way to execute until he appointed Paul Volker as chairman of the Federal Reserve.  That was both gutsy and self defeating for him personally.  Reagan benefitted mightily, when Volker killed stagflation dead, but tanked the economy in the process.  Reagan got all the upside, and undeserved credit for creating prosperity.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
(07-12-2019, 08:00 PM)Hintergrund Wrote: Carter wasn't wrong about the fact that the time was shitty. His problem: He had no clue how to solve it.

The Reagan solution was to reduce expectations among the young by gutting the welfare system and promoting low-paying jobs especially in restaurants and stores, and then to ensure that any gains from technological change and greater efficiency go to the Master Class. This way, cheap labor prevents inflation and ensures that the economic order has the best store clerks and restaurant staff available -- on the cheap. Those already doing well were not obliged to sacrifice, but the young adults would see limited opportunity and abysmal pay. Meanwhile the tax cuts rewarded the very rich for further concentrating just about every industry and the bureaucratic elites in Big Business for drawing great pay for treating workers badly.

Donald Trump replaces the folksiness and faux naivete of Reagan with a celebration of his depraved self, and he turns a promotion of plutocracy into a celebration of depravity.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(07-14-2019, 08:57 AM)David Horn Wrote:

Actually, he had a pretty good handle on what needed doing, but he had no way to execute until he appointed Paul Volker as chairman of the Federal Reserve.  That was both gutsy and self defeating for him personally.  Reagan benefitted mightily, when Volker killed stagflation dead, but tanked the economy in the process.  Reagan got all the upside, and undeserved credit for creating prosperity.

Reagan actually took a lot of blame for that recession, since it mostly happened on his watch, even though it was caused by Volcker.  He got credit for pulling out of it because it was his fiscal policies that pulled us out of it, not Volcker's monetary policies.
(07-15-2019, 09:04 AM)Warren Dew Wrote:

Reagan actually took a lot of blame for that recession, since it mostly happened on his watch, even though it was caused by Volcker.  He got credit for pulling out of it because it was his fiscal policies that pulled us out of it, not Volcker's monetary policies.

David is right.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(07-15-2019, 11:45 AM)Eric the Green Wrote:
(07-15-2019, 09:04 AM)Warren Dew Wrote:

David is right.

Thanks.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
Am rejuvenating this thread as I had come to mention the current much worse malaise over another thread where I indicated that much of the fun in life seems to have vanished in recent years, long before the pandemic hit. Will invite anyone to take a stab at crafting a 2020s version of a malaise speech. Began this thread to coincide with the 40th anniversary of the fabled Carter malaise speech, sans the actual word, in July of 2019, pre-pandemic.
(09-13-2021, 10:13 PM)beechnut79 Wrote: Am rejuvenating this thread as I had come to mention the current much worse malaise over another thread where I indicated that much of the fun in life seems to have vanished in recent years, long before the pandemic hit. Will invite anyone to take a stab at crafting a 2020s version of a malaise speech. Began this thread to coincide with the 40th anniversary of the fabled Carter malaise speech, sans the actual word, in July of 2019, pre-pandemic.

We have far bigger problems than America had in the 1970's. Reagan led America into a 3T whose worst tendencies have only intensified  with no obvious ways of shaking off. We have political polarization in which America divides neatly into opposing camps that have little in common aside from mutual contempt. Both sides are equally self-righteous. We are deep into a 4T, yet we have yet to relinquish the most dangerous traits of a 3T that preclude any solutions whose basis is a shared agenda unless one side is to obliterate, outlaw, or trivialize the other.

Two days ago I saw a flag that read "F--- BIDEN". What could be more blatantly negative than that? Language of that type used to be transitory, as most people were ashamed of the use of the F-bomb in anger. Keeping it on permanent display indicates a level of contempt that... well, we know where that leads if it gets real power behind it. OK, that is one person, and that banner is manufactured, so there must be a market for such a witless expression of contempt. People on my side did not sell or buy banners that read "F--- TRUMP". 

Maybe the differences are built into personal psychology. Heavy use of profanity often signifies a lack of impulse control. I've noticed much the same in homophobia, racism, and religious bigotry. A lack of impulse control implies an inability to hone arguments to defend one's side. Poor impulse control also correlates with academic failure and limits on economic success.    It rejects rational thought that isn't always convenient but is necessary for solving problems. 

Oh, do we have problems! We have a  plague that one side has handled far better than the other has... I doubt that I need to repeat myself.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(09-14-2021, 01:24 AM)pbrower2a Wrote:
(09-13-2021, 10:13 PM)beechnut79 Wrote: Am rejuvenating this thread as I had come to mention the current much worse malaise over another thread where I indicated that much of the fun in life seems to have vanished in recent years, long before the pandemic hit. Will invite anyone to take a stab at crafting a 2020s version of a malaise speech. Began this thread to coincide with the 40th anniversary of the fabled Carter malaise speech, sans the actual word, in July of 2019, pre-pandemic.

We have far bigger problems than America had in the 1970's. Reagan led America into a 3T whose worst tendencies have only intensified  with no obvious ways of shaking off. We have political polarization in which America divides neatly into opposing camps that have little in common aside from mutual contempt. Both sides are equally self-righteous. We are deep into a 4T, yet we have yet to relinquish the most dangerous traits of a 3T that preclude any solutions whose basis is a shared agenda unless one side is to obliterate, outlaw, or trivialize the other.

Two days ago I saw a flag that read "F--- BIDEN". What could be more blatantly negative than that? Language of that type used to be transitory, as most people were ashamed of the use of the F-bomb in anger. Keeping it on permanent display indicates a level of contempt that... well, we know where that leads if it gets real power behind it. OK, that is one person, and that banner is manufactured, so there must be a market for such a witless expression of contempt. People on my side did not sell or buy banners that read "F--- TRUMP". 

Maybe the differences are built into personal psychology. Heavy use of profanity often signifies a lack of impulse control. I've noticed much the same in homophobia, racism, and religious bigotry. A lack of impulse control implies an inability to hone arguments to defend one's side. Poor impulse control also correlates with academic failure and limits on economic success.    It rejects rational thought that isn't always convenient but is necessary for solving problems. 

Oh, do we have problems! We have a  plague that one side has handled far better than the other has... I doubt that I need to repeat myself.
Paragraph by paragraph response:

P1: That is for damn sure. That is why I suggested that a President or something in a high position should craft a malaise speech for the current time. Perhaps we could put our heads together and do it here. In fact I do believe I began one when I first created the thread.  Whoever said that the two dominant political factions have created a cold civil war at best and the potential for a hotter civil war to come at worst was spot on. Isn't Reaganomics long past it's sell-by date? Somehow I feel that the reason for this is that the vast majority seem to have accepted it as the state of affairs.

P2: The level of anger portrayed here ought to be reason enough for us to develop enough harmony in order to collaborate with like-minded friends toward a main goal. Many so-called friends of the Facebook variety are superficial at best, and technology created an increase level of isolationism well before the pandemic hit.

P3: I was under the impression that increasing levels of profanity had seen their day in the sun and were on the wane, and that it is much less acceptable than it may have been in the somewhat recent past.  There is now a movement to bring more development to areas that have been largely neglected during the past half century and became overrun with violence. However, there is a good deal of fear that such would led to gentrification and its cousin, displacement.

P4: See opening line of P1.
https://hartmannreport.com/p/can-we-rest...source=url

This piece from Thom Hartmann's program tells it all about our current crisis of confidence, and it does read like it could be something that the President or some member of the PTB should be addressing to the American people. It does expose the current malaise that, IMO, dwarfs the so-called malaise of the Carter years tremendously. See what you think. Should make for an interesting springboard for discussion.

There are also a couple of posts from the 4T Facebook groups which would also qualify but I couldn't find them at present. Probably buried below all the hubbub over Ukraine. Should I find them later I shall try to post them here as well. For the most part the attitude still seems to be that we have the luxury of just waiting to see which way the wind blows. Highly unlikely.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ken Burns, commencement speech. Stanford University, 2016. pbrower2a 4 4,160 06-11-2022, 01:09 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green