Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Silent Generation and comedy
Resuscitated from the Obituaries Forum on the old T4T Forum

The Silent Generation will be best known in American culture for comedy which is well recorded because the whole adult lifespan of the Silent is largely recorded. Good comedy remains useful to life. With comedy, something that people just don't do well late in life because when the timing goes so does the comedy... it really is over.

With the Silent, comedy is largely self-effacing, and it is exactly what people need if life is to avoid becoming unduly formal. Think not only of Johnny Carson, but also Andy Griffith, John Winters. Leslie Nielsen, Dick Van Dyke, Bob Newhart, Joan Rivers, Alan King, Tim Conway, George Carlin, Jerry Lewis, Flip Wilson, Bill Cosby, Mary Tyler Moore, Christopher Lloyd, Mel Brooks, Dom DeLuise, Woody Allen, Michael Palin, Graham Cleese, Richard Pryor... they kept America from being excessively reverential to flawed GIs and as shrill and strident as Boomers. As they die off or can no longer do comedy, we get more in-your-face stuff characteristic of Boomers and Generation X. Such can be funny, but it is unlikely to create empathy.

To be sure there were great GI comedians (Morey Amsterdam, Minnie Pearl, Gracie Allen, Henny Youngman, Lucille Ball, Don Knotts, Bill Dana, Don Adams)... but the next Golden Age of Comedy is likely to appear soon after the 4T ends.

Howe and Strauss didn't catch it or at least didn't write about it. The disappearance of the Silent from the comedy stage likely ensures that comedy will not smooth such gaps of generation and region as there now are.

Addendum: Don Rickles could really needle people. Of course I would never encourage anyone to try his sort of comedy in a public setting; it fits people tending to get too big for their britches, as in Hollywood.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Just a reminder -- one of the best of the lot, Gene Wilder is no longer with us.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

And now Don Rickles, master of the insult of people too big for their breeches. I would not like to be the butt of his jokes, but some people certainly deserve to be. Donald Trump is a prime example.

But we have some late night boomers and Xers doing pretty well, especially at Trump's expense. Certainly I have shown enough of their videos here to make the point.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A revised list of the "bad apples" of every generation Ghost 16 6,201 01-15-2023, 10:49 AM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Name people who were anomalies for their generation disasterzone 69 48,331 01-08-2023, 07:50 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green
  My Specific Presidential Generation Range (s) Theory Cocoa_Puff 10 4,846 09-01-2022, 05:20 AM
  The Lost Generation: Not Gone Yet! Anthony '58 3 1,124 08-31-2022, 12:06 PM
Last Post: Anthony '58
  What do you think are the major pros/cons of each current generation? JasonBlack 51 11,216 06-14-2022, 11:47 PM
Last Post: JasonBlack
  What If Everyone Born from 1967 to 1991 is Generation X? Victorian Jim Dandy 10 3,278 05-27-2022, 03:24 PM
  Most Useless Famous People of Each Generation JasonBlack 13 3,265 03-06-2022, 02:40 PM
  Entertainers by Generation GeekyCynic 4 1,476 02-20-2022, 01:07 AM
  The "Bad Apples" of each generation Ghost 72 46,080 02-11-2022, 12:31 AM
  Anti-generation-ers jleagans 3 2,597 12-16-2020, 02:21 PM
Last Post: Cocoa_Puff