Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boomers Riding Off Into The Sunset
Quote:Oh God, does this mean the next Prophets will consider us Millennials a bunch of bores like Franklin considered Cotton Mather?

Odin, I'm a Millennial, and I think of Millies as being a bunch of pious, hypocritical bores.  Why wouldn't they?

Maybe with a dash, as per Chas (the lamented), of the way they looked back of aging fops in the 18th century, too.
(03-14-2017, 05:18 PM)SomeGuy Wrote:
Quote:Oh God, does this mean the next Prophets will consider us Millennials a bunch of bores like Franklin considered Cotton Mather?

Odin, I'm a Millennial, and I think of Millies as being a bunch of pious, hypocritical bores.  Why wouldn't they?

Maybe with a dash, as per Chas (the lamented), of the way they looked back of aging fops in the 18th century, too.

Millies are OK, except for the SJW's.  Now those are said pious , hypocritical, anti science bores.
---Value Added Cool
(03-14-2017, 05:27 PM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote:

Millies are OK, except for the SJW's.  Now those are said pious , hypocritical, anti science bores.

Yeah, definitely Cotton Mather types.  I always thought my fellow denizens of Brooklyn looked ridiculous, too, so I should be safe from the "aging fop/hipster" bit, too.

*sigh*

They're still going to be all over my lawn.  Sad

Oh no...
#MakeTheDemocratsGreatAgain
Quote:Oh no...

[Image: coolaid-bursting-through-the-wall-1754_p...56x256.jpg]
(03-14-2017, 05:33 PM)Odin Wrote:

Oh no...

But wait; The next batch of Nomads will find y'all the founts of knowledge.  The next batch of Nomads will of course hate on the next batch of Prophets, but will also like the current Nomads.
---Value Added Cool
(03-14-2017, 04:18 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote:
(03-14-2017, 01:45 PM)Kinser79 Wrote:
(03-14-2017, 11:52 AM)beechnut79 Wrote:
(03-10-2017, 04:07 PM)X_4AD_84 Wrote: Now that we are well into the 4th Turning, what started as a trickle is becoming an outgoing flood tide.

A 1945 Aquarian I've been working with turned in his spurs a couple weeks ago. With him, much tribal knowledge of certain embedded systems and very legacy code. He did his best to document contextual stuff that you can't get from reading normal specs, code reviews, readmes and in line comments. I joked to him, be sure not to give anyone your number, because otherwise you'll be getting some consulting gigs when you are supposed to be out in the tules duck hunting.

That was a lighter moment.

Last fall, there was some darkness. A 1944 cohort who worked for me a few years ago, then for other managers since, had gone out on disability to fight cancer. Over the holidays I saw the obituary. Ugh ...

Just today, I was going through an old issue of my college alumni mag (I had some of the paper version around in "stuff" I'm downsizing). There was a short article by a guy from the Class of '66. He was sharing his journey and his current perspective. It was good writing - the dude was an English major who'd become a prof, then went into journalism and doing a PR start up. He had a blog. Prompted by the article I looked at his blog for the first time in years. Seeing the entries suddenly stop a couple years back, I suspected the worst. My fears were confirmed when I searched him on our alumni site. He passed not long after the last blog entry.

Most people imagine that the tech industry I've been caught up in now for 30 years is a bunch of Uber riding, iPhone jockey Millennials. Sure there are companies, especially start ups, where there are many Millies. But this biz was loaded with Boomers for many years. At the larger firms there are still many Boomers. There is a never ending stream of retirements, plus, the more maudlin outcomes of illness and death.

I've stopped having lots of anger toward Boom as I age. That's a bit remarkable given how Boom were the Grey Ceiling hindering me until I was too old to be the young up and comer. For all the venom thrown their way by us Xers and increasingly, Millies, there is a lot of good in the Boom cohorts. There is so much experience and knowledge. Given the horrendous lack of Knowledge Management in most American business environments, we are going to really miss that experience and knowledge. Not everything is an iPhone ap. Even some of the stuff running the cloud is the province of Boom. Beyond the newer whiz bang, there are still many mainframes running substantial parts of the world. Keeping it all afloat is not going to be a picnic.

Does anyone on this forum feel that Trump has any chance of becoming this era's so-called grey champion, that one who will be remember long after the hippie and yuppie have been relegated to the dustbin of history? Any chance it can still be Bernie Sanders, although he probably won't become President?

Yes.  I have a thread about it.  Long story short I concluded that Trump was the Jacksonian Tradition GC somtime around March of last year.  He will be remembered not only long after the hippies and yuppies have passed but probably after X is long passed the scene.  Just like people still talk about Lincoln

LOL @ Trump as Jackson. Yep, he's such a grand frontier leader. Warded off bears. Got in wars with Indians. Stood off the Spanish. What a grand, grand man.

/ sarc

Nope....He's gonna kill the bank.  Just need to find us a John C. Calhoun and hang him this time.  Only thing Ole Hickory ever regretted.
It really is all mathematics.

Turn on to Daddy, Tune in to Nationalism, Drop out of UN/NATO/WTO/TPP/NAFTA/CAFTA Globalism.
(03-14-2017, 06:04 PM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote:
(03-14-2017, 05:33 PM)Odin Wrote:

Oh no...

But wait; The next batch of Nomads will find y'all the founts of knowledge.  The next batch of Nomads will of course hate on the next batch of Prophets, but will also like the current Nomads.

A very few of the next batch of Nomads will encounter the few remaining members of Generation X as I did the Lost.  They will be more grateful for that then you can imagine.
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard. -- H.L. Mencken

If one rejects laissez faire on account of man's fallibility and moral weakness, one must for the same reason also reject every kind of government action.   -- Ludwig von Mises

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atlantic Monthly, 24 June 2019: The Boomers Ruined Everything pbrower2a 23 18,793 10-06-2022, 12:48 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Where the Boomers Led Us, Or Our Worse Presidency to Date sbarrera 31 16,184 08-01-2022, 01:13 PM
  Book: Are Baby Boomers A ‘Generation Of Sociopaths’? pbrower2a 26 16,455 07-29-2022, 07:46 PM
Last Post: JasonBlack
  Boomers and their stay-at-home mothers Hintergrund 20 14,757 10-26-2019, 02:35 PM
  Boomers' reputation on the Internet sbarrera 33 22,664 10-23-2019, 07:38 PM
  Happy birthday, Boomers! pbrower2a 1 2,791 01-06-2018, 11:42 AM
Last Post: Kinser79
  What caused Baby Boomers to be so paranoid? disasterzone 22 26,365 02-19-2017, 05:18 PM
Last Post: ImpalaMama
Video Gavin McInnis on Baby Boomers Kinser79 65 91,717 09-08-2016, 07:35 AM
Last Post: Warren Dew
  Whether Clinton or Trump, Baby Boomers will reclaim White House next year Dan '82 5 7,014 07-28-2016, 12:28 AM
Last Post: Galen