Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Democrats organize to fight back
(04-29-2017, 01:16 AM)pbrower2a Wrote: They can also thrive upon bone marrow which wolves can get by cracking bones as we humans generally can't.

Humans have been cracking bones open for marrow far longer than wolves have been domesticated.  What the wolves got was the excess lean meat that humans couldn't digest, wolves having larger livers and kidneys relative to their body weight. The humans probably kept the fat for themselves; humans can survive fine on meat only if the meat is fatty enough.

The rest of your post seems pretty accurate.
(04-29-2017, 03:32 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: That's what I recall from my last reading of the book. Disney isn't completely true to Kipling.

As I see it, Disney, Kipling and other sources of fantasy and myth such as the Brothers Grimm have their own values, themes and styles, the fictional equivalent of spin.  Disney and his heirs will borrow from any number of quite diverse sources.  The result will be...  Disney.
That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.
(04-29-2017, 03:32 PM)pbrower2a Wrote: That's what I recall from my last reading of the book. Disney isn't completely true to Kipling.

Which is why I backed it up by checking out Mowgli and the Kipling books on Wikipedia. None of the entries mentioned Mowgli dying young (or dying at all).
A little bit of good news from my point of view:

From DLCC email:

The town of Wolfeboro, New Hampshire has never elected a Democratic state representative. Not ever.

Not during the Civil War. Not during the Depression or WWII. Not even during Lyndon Johnson's bone-crushing 1964 landslide.

It did last night.

Edie DesMarais just broke a 189-year record to become the first Democrat ever to break through in Wolfeboro, in a special election for the state House last night. And if Edie can do that, we can win ANYWHERE.
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
Montana is deciding today whether or not their state is the home of fascist thugs or not.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(05-25-2017, 03:14 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: Montana is deciding today whether or not their state is the home of fascist thugs or not.

Gianforte may get elected on early votes alone, so his winning may tell us nothing.  On the other hand, him losing may be anomalous, and reversed next cycle. Either way, it's a bit muddy.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
It's very hard for me to see Montana in a positive light after this.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(05-25-2017, 03:14 PM)Eric the Green Wrote: Montana is deciding today whether or not their state is the home of fascist thugs or not.

Yup.  Let's see if the Republicans seat a fascist thug...
---Value Added Cool
(05-25-2017, 11:05 PM)Ragnarök_62 Wrote:

Yup.  Let's see if the Republicans seat a fascist thug...

Money spoke; money won. That's all that matters for now in American politics. The scummiest pol wins if that is what the Master Class wants.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

(05-26-2017, 10:02 AM)X_4AD_84 Wrote: In terms of Nazis, White Nationalists and Duginists, Montana is right up there with the Idaho panhandle.

Well, not if but when suppression ops commence, the population is small, and the area can be easily "flooded with love."

I remember a nightmarish fictional book that depicted Montana as the place for establishing concentrations camps in a totalitarian America. Plenty of wide-open spaces away from prying eyes... it would be more secretive than "Area 51" in Nevada, which I understand is used for testing secret military equipment. Secrecy in testing aircraft and munitions is fully understandable. You didn't really want to know what awaited Saddam Hussein after invading Kuwait or what awaits the Kim dynasty in North Korea if such would take away the surprise to evil-doers, did you? But secrecy in mistreating people is abominable; the cover-up is essential to the core crime.

I contrast New York City or San Francisco, where privacy is easy to breach. Keep the window open, and a gust of wind might blow the curtain off to a side, in which case the displacement of the curtain might expose that you and your lover 'play hide the salami'. I think of the Hitchcock movie Rear Window in which most people get jaded about what they see and hear until "Lars Thorvald" murders his wife, which is something that nobody can get jaded about.

...Montana has attracted crazies, like Ted "Unabom" Kaczynski. I understand that Ted Bundy, who was conventional in his politics but not so conventional in what he did to women, found Montana a good place to go when he thought that the police might be snooping on him. It also gave us Rachel Dolezal... but with a family like hers I too would rebel. 

Now that America is going into one of the most nightmarish phases of its history with no obvious solution (like 'drive out the Redcoats, 'on to Richmond!', or as Churchill put it in the time of consummate danger to everything decent, humane, honest, fair, and life-affirming:

Quote:We know it will be hard; we expect it to be long, we cannot predict or measure its episodes or its tribulations. But one thing is certain, one thing is sure, one thing stands out stark and undeniable, massive and unassailable for all the world to see. We cannot see how deliverance will come or when it will come, but nothing is more certain that every trace of Hitler's footsteps, every stain of his infected, corroding fingers will be sponged and purged and, if need be, blasted from the surface of the earth. (Sir Winston Churchill)

https://www.ibiblio.org/pha/timeline/410612bwp.html

That is 4T rhetoric at its purest. But our leader is as far from being another Abraham Lincoln or Sir Winston Churchill as is possible.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Apparently less than half of the apparent 700,000 registered voters voted, and most of them voted early. So this result was due to many Montana citizens not voting in a special election. Their only recourse now, if they want to have someone other than a thug represent them, is to recall him, if they can. Polls also show that they still approve of the thug in the White House who inspired Gianforte's behavior. This also needs to change, if Montana is to join the civilized world again.

Seth Meyers lays out the situation perfectly:

Run Seth, run!

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(05-26-2017, 12:07 PM)Eric the Obtuse Wrote: Apparently less than half of the apparent 700,000 registered voters voted, and most of them voted early. So this result was due to many Montana citizens not voting in a special election. Their only recourse now, if they want to have someone other than a thug represent them, is to recall him, if they can. Polls also show that they still approve of the thug in the White House who inspired Gianforte's behavior. This also needs to change, if Montana is to join the civilized world again.

Given the current reputation of the mainstream media beating up that reporter was probably helped him get elected.  Newspapers have been on life support for some time and these days only the geezers watch TV news.
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard. -- H.L. Mencken

If one rejects laissez faire on account of man's fallibility and moral weakness, one must for the same reason also reject every kind of government action.   -- Ludwig von Mises
Here is Pelosi demonstrating the stupidity of the Dims by complaining about Trump not visiting countries in alphabetical order.  While I have my issues with Saudi Arabia, given their importance in maintaining the petrodollar, visiting them early in his administration is a reasonable thing to do.

I am surprised that someone at her level is such an incoherent speaker.  Its enough to make me believe that senility has finally caught up with her.  Then again there is Maxine Waters who is completely insane and its no wonder they cut off her microphone.
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard. -- H.L. Mencken

If one rejects laissez faire on account of man's fallibility and moral weakness, one must for the same reason also reject every kind of government action.   -- Ludwig von Mises
(05-27-2017, 01:35 AM)Galen Wrote: Here is Pelosi demonstrating the stupidity of the Dims by complaining about Trump not visiting countries in alphabetical order.  While I have my issues with Saudi Arabia, given their importance in maintaining the petrodollar, visiting them early in his administration is a reasonable thing to do.

I am surprised that someone at her level is such an incoherent speaker.  Its enough to make me believe that senility has finally caught up with her.  Then again there is Maxine Waters who is completely insane and its no wonder they cut off her microphone.

The Democrats needs to find new leadership already. These old Silent geezers refuse to step aside.
(05-27-2017, 08:58 AM)GeekyCynic Wrote: The Democrats needs to find new leadership already. These old Silent geezers refuse to step aside.

I tend to agree. Alas, at the level we're talking about, one doesn't step aside, one is pushed aside. Someone younger has to make a go at it.
That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people shall not perish from the earth.
(05-26-2017, 03:09 PM)Galen Wrote:
(05-26-2017, 12:07 PM)Eric the (insult redacted) Wrote: Apparently less than half of the apparent 700,000 registered voters voted, and most of them voted early. So this result was due to many Montana citizens not voting in a special election. Their only recourse now, if they want to have someone other than a thug represent them, is to recall him, if they can. Polls also show that they still approve of the thug in the White House who inspired Gianforte's behavior. This also needs to change, if Montana is to join the civilized world again.

Given the current reputation of the mainstream media beating up that reporter was probably helped him get elected.  Newspapers have been on life support for some time and these days only the geezers watch TV news.

When political violence becomes normal, democracy dies. Political  violence seems incompatible with any libertarian essay that I have ever seen.

Hypocrite! You have outed yourself.

(05-27-2017, 01:03 PM)pbrower2a Wrote:
(05-26-2017, 03:09 PM)Galen Wrote:
(05-26-2017, 12:07 PM)Eric the (insult redacted) Wrote: Apparently less than half of the apparent 700,000 registered voters voted, and most of them voted early. So this result was due to many Montana citizens not voting in a special election. Their only recourse now, if they want to have someone other than a thug represent them, is to recall him, if they can. Polls also show that they still approve of the thug in the White House who inspired Gianforte's behavior. This also needs to change, if Montana is to join the civilized world again.

When political violence becomes normal, democracy dies. Political  violence seems incompatible with any libertarian essay that I have ever seen.

Hypocrite! You have outed yourself.

Indeed he has, and not for the first time. Liberty and democracy are impossible without a free press. Those Trump supporters and other right-wingers like Galen are upset at the press because it tells the truth and because it wants answers to important questions, like the one which that reporter asked. Fascists like Trump, Gianforte and Galen do not want the truth to be told. It must be suppressed, violently if need be. It is "the enemy of the people." Deception has been a YUGE part of the right-wing, trickle-down, "free market economics" corporate fascist agenda for a long, long time now. It has been the major tool of dictators for centuries. Orwell wrote about it.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(05-27-2017, 11:48 AM)Bob Butler 54 Wrote:
(05-27-2017, 08:58 AM)GeekyCynic Wrote: The Democrats needs to find new leadership already. These old Silent geezers refuse to step aside.

I tend to agree.  Alas, at the level we're talking about, one doesn't step aside, one is pushed aside.  Someone younger has to make a go at it.

If that someone is not at least as progressive as Pelosi, and as committed to what some consider old-fashioned liberalism as she, then it's no use to replace her. She would be replaced with someone younger with older ideas. Like that other Ryan who wanted the job. We didn't need two Ryans anyway.

When she was given a chance, for a couple of years, she got a lot of good things passed. Too bad they were blocked or eviscerated by the Silent-dominated DINOs in the Senate-- like that creep Lieberman whom Trump almost hired because his law partner was Trump's lawyer.

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

I tend to agree.  Alas, at the level we're talking about, one doesn't step aside, one is pushed aside.  Someone younger has to make a go at it.

The Lost and GI seemed more willing to step aside.
(05-27-2017, 05:48 PM)Eric the Green Wrote:

If that someone is not at least as progressive as Pelosi, and as committed to what some consider old-fashioned liberalism as she, then it's no use to replace her. She would be replaced with someone younger with older ideas. Like that other Ryan who wanted the job. We didn't need two Ryans anyway.

When she was given a chance, for a couple of years, she got a lot of good things passed. Too bad they were blocked or eviscerated by the Silent-dominated DINOs in the Senate-- like that creep Lieberman whom Trump almost hired because his law partner was Trump's lawyer.

She is not THAT progressive. She immediately took impeachment of Bush off the table when she became a Speaker and also refuses to support single-payer.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Centrist Democrats want a corporate tax cut and will undermine Biden to get one Einzige 4 2,118 05-16-2021, 08:00 AM
Last Post: David Horn
  Bloomberg: Why do some Democrats want to give the wealthy a tax break? Einzige 3 1,556 04-22-2021, 04:08 PM
Last Post: David Horn
  Equal time, let's laugh at the Democrats! Eric the Green 13 4,576 02-07-2021, 05:22 AM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Where Are The "Hardhat Democrats"? Anthony '58 1 1,142 08-09-2019, 09:12 PM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  Paper ballots are hack-proof. It's time to bring them back. nebraska 23 10,224 02-04-2018, 07:50 PM
Last Post: nom
  Dayton to resume using red-light cameras after legal fight nebraska 0 1,063 01-26-2018, 06:09 AM
Last Post: nebraska
  Iraq, U.S. in talks to keep American troops after Islamic State fight done nebraska 0 1,275 01-24-2018, 03:04 AM
  California Democrats want businesses to give half their tax-cut savings to state nebraska 0 1,219 01-23-2018, 07:31 AM
  Republicans, Democrats ‘swamp’ US government nebraska 0 1,314 01-14-2018, 04:28 AM
  Trump: Bring back torture to make America great nebraska 0 1,607 01-13-2018, 07:51 PM