Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the best songs ever: the lost years
(06-17-2016, 03:28 AM)taramarie Wrote:
(06-17-2016, 03:22 AM)Galen Wrote:
(06-17-2016, 02:59 AM)taramarie Wrote:
(06-17-2016, 02:44 AM)Galen Wrote: I have posted this one before but not where we encountered because you see it was almost never played on the radio.  I am curious to see what you think of it.  This movie was very popular among Xers but I don't think a Millie will relate to it very well.

No i don't relate to it and the sound is unusual to me. I do not understand the meaning of it. I can only imagine it is about senseless killing and madness around these war vets. Shrug. Not my thing but i totally respect that many xers like it.

You don't understand and I am not surprised.  Consider yourself fortunate.

The GIs stared into the abyss during the Second World War and for many of those who survived there was something to look forward to as history records.  For Generation X that was never true even though many of us stared into the abyss at all to young of an age and knew that it was only a dress rehearsal for what was to come.  No matter what we did there would be no victory and survival was only temporary at best.  No matter what in the end there would be no victory.

Yeah i think we take out of songs what we put in them. This proves I am no xer at all pretty much. I did not see that in this song. Just the literal image as i cannot relate at all to that despair as I always try to solve issues and with it look for a bright side to a problem.

Art often is a reflection of what is already there.  This movie is very much a reflection of the the time and the people who it was targeted for.  One of the reasons that Eric the Obtuse hates third turning music is because it is a reflections of the consequences of their actions.  Something most of them can't face and so they pretend it doesn't exist.  That was never an option for me and most of my contemporaries.
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard. -- H.L. Mencken

If one rejects laissez faire on account of man's fallibility and moral weakness, one must for the same reason also reject every kind of government action.   -- Ludwig von Mises

Messages In This Thread

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The best 4T songs MillsT_98 67 68,799 02-15-2022, 01:36 AM
Last Post: JasonBlack
  the best songs ever Eric the Green 642 400,235 06-25-2021, 11:58 AM
Last Post: Eric the Green