Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the best songs ever: the lost years
(09-12-2016, 11:13 PM)gabrielle Wrote: Here is one of my favorite rock albums.  It is largely considered by fans to be the band's greatest work.

Quote:Like Nirvana — a group that they "paved the way for," according to the band's Krist Novoselic — Faith No More would zig where outsiders would urge them to zag. Their 1990 rap-metal volley "Epic" was a Top 10 hit, but they followed its album, The Real Thing, with the avant-metal terrordome Angel Dust, which Entertainment Weekly called, "probably the most uncommercial follow-up to a hit record ever." 

The opening song.

"RV."  For a young guy of 24, Mike Patton seemed quite concerned with the miseries of ageing.  This song is very funny, though.  "Yeah, I married a scarecrow..."

This song is just balls to the wall insane, and frightening.  "Applause!  Applause!  APPLAUSE!!"  

In this song, a criminal faces his sentence: "I am what I do...I am what I've done!! And I'm sorry!!"  As the song ends, Patton's screaming squalor fades away before a sternly beautiful organ and choral "amen."*  For a long time I assumed they'd lifted that part from some bewigged composer of old, but apparently it's the band's own composition.

*synthesized, sadly, too bad there wasn't enough on the budget to hire a real choir

Quote:However — in America at least — returns would only diminish. 1992's defiantly weird, chaos-crammed Angel Dust would only go gold. [Guitarist Jim] Martin would acrimoniously split from the band after a series of public spats. Too heavy for the post-grunge pop hits of the Verve and Third Eye Blind, too arty to work comfortably with the nu-metal knuckle-draggers they spawned, it wasn't clear where the band fit in by the end of the decade. 

Both quotes from: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/featur...k-20150512

If one is going to mention the most versatile vocalizations of Mike Patton in the 1990's (in particular his contribution to Angel Dust) one should not leave out his contributions to Mr. Bungle which I consider more interesting that his work with Faith No More (of which I am a huge fan).

And the classic Carousel which also features audio samples from the magnificent cyclone pinball machine.

The single despot stands out in the face of all men, and says: I am the State: My will is law: I am your master: I take the responsibility of my acts: The only arbiter I acknowledge is the sword: If any one denies my right, let him try conclusions with me. -- Lysander Spooner

Messages In This Thread
RE: the best songs ever: the lost years - by Copperfield - 09-13-2016, 10:22 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The best 4T songs MillsT_98 67 68,780 02-15-2022, 01:36 AM
Last Post: JasonBlack
  the best songs ever Eric the Green 642 400,063 06-25-2021, 11:58 AM
Last Post: Eric the Green