Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Political compass for the21st century
(03-01-2019, 08:52 PM)Hintergrund Wrote: I don't think the fault for neglecting kids was all with the Boomers... we have to blame the Silents as well. After all, they brought a good part of the X-ers into the world.

Cleaning up the shit and decay of three generations will be a harder task than tawking about values (you may not even heed).

Without doubt, it is impossible to undo the harm that the Silent, Boomers, and to a lesser extent GIs (for the latter, largely economic) upon Generation X, which really has been hurt badly. The Silent are rapidly disappearing, and if Boomers are involved with children it is as grandparents (they are probably better grandparents than parents) or as teachers near the ends of their careers. Social reality, including the dangers of the time, can make the abuses of relatively-quiet times impossible. It is possible that an economic depression or calamitous war will make 'finding oneself' through abusive relationships with children completely impossible -- or make the children the object of protection. "Keep this (reference to Nazi Germany or Thug Japan in the last Crisis Era, maybe ISIS in this one) away from your children!"

Values become practically uniform in a Crisis Era, whether for FDR's America or Nazi Germany.  The Crisis leaves little room for any Voyage to the Interior. In the aftermath of the Crisis people will be either picking up the physical pieces of a wrecked world or trying to start of a personal life put on hold while there are more important things to do -- like keeping the Wehrmacht, Gestapo, and SS out of America and Britain or driving them out from occupied countries.  

Quote:But what for? For some ungrateful pieces of shit? Former Nomads may have thought that later generations might be grateful, but S&H seem to say they never are.
[/quote]
As a Boomer I got to know lots of Lost -- and I came to recognize that there were kids pulled out of school to do farm labor, that the Lost had started the bulk of the small businesses that I knew, and that they got at most modest rewards for doing things right. They made no excuses for their crooks -- "well, we were poor, too, and I didn't become a criminal". The best of the Lost were never effective at making elaborate theories praising themselves. They knew how bad human nature could be.

It could be the next Idealist generation that has some recognition of X for leaving behind a better world than they inherited, and for not demanding too much to make the world good for the new Idealists. Sure, I see plenty of hyper-villains of History among the Lost -- but I am glad that I never got to meet Kenji Doihara, Heinrich Himmler, Ante Pavelic, or Matyas Rakosi.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Political compass for the21st century - by pbrower2a - 03-01-2019, 11:12 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Controversial Political Opinions JasonBlack 181 33,666 12-20-2022, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green
  How Birth Year Influences Political Views Dan '82 12 15,033 10-07-2020, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green
  Comprehensive Political Cycle Theory jleagans 15 10,275 03-19-2019, 09:57 AM
Last Post: Marypoza
  Where to post political topics Webmaster 0 10,520 05-06-2016, 01:15 PM
Last Post: Webmaster