Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Incredible research : what if gen’s are rooted in provable biology ?
https://www.reddit.com/r/StraussHowe/com...ame=iossmf

If this could be proved wouldn’t it be the holy grail of generational theory that finally legitimizes it?
I don't know the subject area well enough to say if it has any credibility or not.

I do find the idea of viewing turnings as an intersection of group identification strength with bounds of social cohesiveness to be useful and it goes along with a lot of other reading I've done on socio-political behavior over the last 30ish years. That our stronger group identifications during a 4T correlates with elevated levels of oxytocin and vasopressin explains a ton since, not only do high levels reinforce feelings of belonging, very high levels can lead to aggressiveness in males (specifically around territorial defense).

Although his prediction 9 months ago that Western nations would do worse with Coronavirus due to high levels of cortisol
Oh, not THAT again.....
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
(01-13-2021, 06:19 AM)taramarie Wrote: Oh this should be fun. Eric will be having a ball with this and his hatred of the materialistic mindset. Where's my popcorn....

I'm gathering he's against any biological explanations of human behavior?  I'm a bit more on the nurture and free will side of the debate, but I think anyone who doesn't recognize how biological functions can play some roll in both short and long term behavior has never made a bad decision when they were hungry and tired.  Or gone through menopause.   Smile
(01-14-2021, 05:48 AM)taramarie Wrote:
(01-13-2021, 01:58 PM)mamabug Wrote:
(01-13-2021, 06:19 AM)taramarie Wrote: Oh this should be fun. Eric will be having a ball with this and his hatred of the materialistic mindset. Where's my popcorn....

I'm gathering he's against any biological explanations of human behavior?  I'm a bit more on the nurture and free will side of the debate, but I think anyone who doesn't recognize how biological functions can play some roll in both short and long term behavior has never made a bad decision when they were hungry and tired.  Or gone through menopause.   Smile

I dont think he is that far gone, (i hope!) but he is anti materialist and has gone on debates against such people. He is a very spiritual minded individual.

If we have a resident Hippie, Eric is him.
Intelligence is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but they all play well together.
(01-14-2021, 05:48 AM)taramarie Wrote:
(01-13-2021, 01:58 PM)mamabug Wrote:

I dont think he is that far gone, (i hope!) but he is anti materialist and has gone on debates against such people. He is a very spiritual minded individual.

So I don't understand the "materialism" relationship here at all.  

As an educator over time I've decided that 99% of the time nature vs nature is "some combination of nature and nurture that is so interrelated and complex we should stop worrying about it".
(01-12-2021, 06:43 PM)mamabug Wrote: I don't know the subject area well enough to say if it has any credibility or not.

I do find the idea of viewing turnings as an intersection of group identification strength with bounds of social cohesiveness to be useful and it goes along with a lot of other reading I've done on socio-political behavior over the last 30ish years.   That our stronger group identifications during a 4T correlates with elevated levels of oxytocin and vasopressin explains a ton since, not only do high levels reinforce feelings of belonging, very high levels can lead to aggressiveness in males (specifically around territorial defense).

Although his prediction 9 months ago that Western nations would do worse with Coronavirus due to high levels of cortisol

Exactly! That was the part of this that made me take it seriously.  But then it also led me to this thought...

Hero Generations (at least the last two) have been DEEPLY tethered to Dopamine and Dopamine abuse.  And to a lesser degree illicit drug use.  Amphetamines (Adderall) were invented in the '20's and one of the things we've whitewashed about WWII and much of the 50's/60's is how much the GI Generation abused amphetamines and dopamine.  The American military had every soldier cracked out throughout the war, and its become pretty well known now that the Nazis were all on meth throughout the war. 

The GI Generation was the first Dopamine generation. And now look at Millennials, the second Dopamine generation that is bringing with it drug legalization across the board.  Hero generations seem to have a very different relationship with drugs, as a generation, than the other generations.  Maybe this is a purely cyclical social process but what if there is a biological propensity toward dopamine that is tied to our epigenetic saecular cycle?

Crazy!

And all anyone needs to do is prove that Boomers have higher levels of vasopressin than Millennials, then find the same heightened vasopressin in Alphas.  

Btw, the guy that write this is a PhD student in Norway seems legit, I reached out to him on Reddit I'll tell him to come over here .

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Echo Boomers (1982-1991) vs Gen Katniss (1994-2003) RELFantastic 14 4,730 12-16-2021, 10:58 AM
Last Post: Anthony '58
  My Generation Research (8 year pure cohorts, 10 year spectrums) RELFantastic 4 3,005 08-27-2020, 06:12 AM
Last Post: Bob Butler 54
  A Gen Xer Rants On The Lack Of Reactive and Adaptive Representation Camz 10 4,931 08-13-2020, 02:59 PM
Last Post: jleagans
  Why does Gen X act like they are the generation most impacted by abortion? AspieMillennial 7 4,410 11-28-2019, 11:23 AM
Last Post: David Horn