Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The End Of A Republican Party
(09-06-2016, 03:49 PM)Odin Wrote:
(09-02-2016, 11:59 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: Maricopa County (Phoenix) is a large county with lots of wilderness areas like Tonto, and the Barry Goldwater gunnery range (how charming).

http://maps.mcassessor.maricopa.gov/

It also has a lot of old, bigoted retired white people who are terrified of "The Mexicans".

but their grandchildren might be marrying "those Mexicans".
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

Republicans are terrible at running the economy. But good at ruining it.

[Image: 14322227_10209222302187561_1157134819381...e=587FF714]
"I close my eyes, and I can see a better day" -- Justin Bieber

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
I see no indication that Donald Trump has any acumen at economic stewardship beyond his own economic interests. Sure, he promises that he can bring back jobs from overseas -- but has he offered any concrete programs (aside perhaps from brutal tariffs) to do so?* His activity has been every-man-for-himself, and he has been very good at schmoozing with the right people to get a tax break, perhaps even cutting deals with organized crime to get things done. But every-man-for-himself. He is a real estate mogul, someone very good at getting something built after which he simply collects the rent, which is easy enough to do in a place like New York City where poor people by local standards rent tiny apartments for higher rents than the income in one month for sweatshop laborers in the rural South. Once one has desirable property in a captive market, there is no easier income than collecting the rent from people who have few viable choices.

Manufacturing and marketing do not work that way. Admit it -- it is easier to make money by leasing property to software engineers in Silicon Valley than to make a living as a software engineer in Silicon Valley. Exploiting a scarcity is the easiest way to get and enhance one's wealth in any capitalist order.

Donald Trump is able to get spectacularly rich because he can exploit the scarcity of property in one of the few pa5rts of America that have the stable, high-paying jobs. New York City has a huge proportion of the people making their livings off creative activity, something not at all cyclical as is petroleum. If one runs out of creative ability one retires to some place cheaper. But moving to Scranton, Pennsylvania (a day trip away from New York City) for lower rent costs if one must do one's economic function in New York City? That's as out of the question as moving to Modesto as a software engineer for cheaper rent than in Silicon Valley.

People living in impoverished rural areas (and much of rural America is poor; the few people who do well there either own large farms or have professions that they could do anywhere) often see how successful Donald Trump is -- but he is rich by grabbing the easiest money that there is in America, exploiting scarcity of real estate in Greater New York City.

Let's remind ourselves of why big cities in California and New York are so liberal even if they are prosperous... it is because of real-estate moguls who exploit the scarcity of real estate, squeezing the hard-working people who really can't move to Modesto unless they want to be farm laborers or to Scranton unless they want to compete for the remaining sweat-shop jobs. Other big cities are so for the same reason.

If Donald Trump couldn't squeeze his customer he would not be rich. John D. Rockefeller had to create a market for petroleum products... and succeeded at that. Henry Ford made his fortune undercutting the car manufacturers of his time. William Skaggs discovered that if one took the credit out of food merchandising one could make grocery shopping and selling much easier. Bill Gates found that computers were laboratory curiosities or tools for experts unless those computers had easy software to use for managing something just slightly bigger than a breadbox (and now even slightly larger than a cigarette box, constraint being upon the nimbleness of human fingers and human visual acuity). Sam Walton found effective ways to put information technology into retailing to ensure that his stores were not undersupplied with the right sizes of clothes and oversupplied with the wrong sizes**.

The halcyon time for America was when people could make good livings in places like Greater Detroit when all one needed was a healthy body and a good work ethic. It's not now. America is beginning to fit a pattern in the Third World in which a few cities have all the opportunities and have some sophistication, and the rest of the country is destitute unless it has a resource boom. But here it is the 'flyover' country that it going bad.

Cleveland, Detroit, Milwaukee, and St. Louis used to be prosperous communities. They aren't now.

Donald Trump is a capitalist exploiter in ways that make such types as Rockefeller, Hershey, Ford, Skaggs, Gates, and even Walton seem like heroes. Preserving and exploiting a scarcity is not dynamic capitalism; it is dynastic capitalism. Yes, there are people who admire the marble floors and gold faucets. I don't. He could probably adorn his holdings with tiger furs and elephant ivory except that some inconvenient regulations make such impossible now. He can get away with saying things that many people would love to say and feel constrained from saying due to 'political correctness'. Well, out of respect to the dignity of other people we rightly restrain ourselves from telling jokes about the handicapped, don't we?

Much of the Left-Right divide in urban America is not so much between the 'hard-working middle class' and 'lazy slobs' as it is between landlords and people who see them as greedy gougers. I'm guessing that the Left-Right divide outside Urban America is between people who need above-average intelligence to do what they do and people who resent 'brainy' people.

*Tariffs are a horrible way to create jobs. They are very good at making business much more expensive by forcing people to put overpriced components in what they might otherwise export.

** One thing that I noticed in Wal*Mart was the scarcity of 'remainder racks', collections of clothing in unpopular sizes and often obsolete in style, greatly reduced in price. Wal*Mart did not undercut its competitors so remarkably; it simply didn't get stuck with unmarketable merchandise as did such a competitor as Montgomery-Ward. Montgomery-Ward is a thing of the past.
The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated Communist  but instead the people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists -- Hannah Arendt.

[Image: 14681688_10210896943358924_8713776895120...e=589F0578]

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
[Image: Cu64Et6UAAAzA-u.jpg:medium]
(10-18-2016, 12:28 AM)taramarie Wrote:
(10-17-2016, 02:31 AM)Eric the Green Wrote: [Image: 14681688_10210896943358924_8713776895120...e=589F0578]
I would LOVE to hear their excuse. Repubs, please explain this.

The Republican Party is destined to arise like a   *Phoenix from the ashes.   Tongue

However, in Ragsland

It's, yes that time again.

* Dum-dum award for Republicans   Big Grin

*Every end is just a new beginning, man.

[Image: The_Great_Gazoo.png]
---Value Added Cool
Quote:Let's remind ourselves of why big cities in California and New York are so liberal even if they are prosperous... it is because of real-estate moguls who exploit the scarcity of real estate, squeezing the hard-working people who really can't move to Modesto unless they want to be farm laborers or to Scranton unless they want to compete for the remaining sweat-shop jobs. Other big cities are so for the same reason.

But they can move to Fargo or even Wahpeton, North Dakota, and Dodge City, Kansas - and they are.
"These, and many other matters which might be noticed, add a volume of unofficial declarations to the mass of organic utterances that this is a Christian nation" - Justice David Brewer, Church of the Holy Trinity v. United States, 1892
[Image: 14702423_10209625484946878_2027046990407...e=588A818D]

Just a little reminder why Republicans refuse to even CONSIDER carrying out their oath of office and give Obama's Supreme Court nominee a hearing. They know only a Republican could ever appoint a man like Scalia. ---Roy Rigordaeva

Domenica Ann Iacovone: Didn't you know? The NRA was given the Senate committee on approving our justices?

Roy Rigordaeva: Literally, Mitch McConnell said he's not going to approve anybody the NRA doesn't approve first

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M
[Image: 14572386_10209628720427763_8016942482220...e=58998D55]

Keep the spirit alive;
Eric M

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Yes, Biden Wants to End Fracking chairb 0 649 10-19-2021, 01:25 AM
Last Post: chairb
  Trump's people have founded their Party: pbrower2a 81 15,365 09-19-2021, 02:00 AM
Last Post: pbrower2a
  County Libertarian Party organizes trash pickup HealthyDebate 2 1,107 03-12-2021, 04:06 AM
Last Post: HealthyDebate
  Republican introduces bill requiring permit to purchase ammunition nclovers 14 2,308 01-28-2021, 06:59 PM
Last Post: nyballot
  The Birthday Party Isoko 1 1,057 07-08-2020, 04:37 PM
Last Post: David Horn
  Why we are nowhere near the end of the fourth turning Mickey123 31 7,725 06-11-2020, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Eric the Green
  Rand Paul Leads Bipartisan Effort to End Warrantless Surveillance nebraska 3 2,491 05-06-2018, 08:14 PM
Last Post: dcgal
  Libertarians party seeks to earn slots on Stamford ballots nebraska 0 1,244 01-19-2018, 01:26 PM
Last Post: nebraska
  Republican pols shouted down pbrower2a 0 929 02-22-2017, 08:53 AM
Last Post: pbrower2a
Rainbow Can a third party candidate win? Drakus79 80 36,335 08-31-2016, 08:09 AM
Last Post: Marypoza